Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2012, 02:37 AM   #1561
erisgirl44
Earning My Ears

I have started using time4learnig with my oldest. He loves it but I'm not sure if it's science or social studies is enough. We are using handwriting without tears fro handwriting. How are you finding it so far?
Old 07-12-2012, 09:03 AM   #1562
MommyBell08
DIS Veteran

We are using Sonlight, we are doing Math-U-See and HWT.. Loving!

ASMo'04*O.S.'06*POP'07*POP'09*CSR'09*AKV'11(KV)*AK V'12(J)*OKW'12 OHANA ....Coming soon AKV'14 and SSR'14

MommyBell08 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-12-2012, 08:21 PM   #1563
mks18412
Mouseketeer

This will be our second year using Time4Learning. I do supplement the math and english..... If it works for dd (4th grade), it works for me.
mks18412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:17 PM   #1564
lucigo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by erisgirl44 View Post
I have started using time4learnig with my oldest. He loves it but I'm not sure if it's science or social studies is enough. We are using handwriting without tears fro handwriting. How are you finding it so far?
For my son with autism the language arts is engaging and fun, but the science and social studies don't interest him at all. The math is kind of in the middle somewhere.

My husband is a middle school math/science teacher and ESE certified, so he will be supplementing those areas and I just found out he already has a ton of manipulatives. He just started a new job in Virginia so we have a busy year ahead of us (we are still in Florida).

My 17-yo has been homeschooling for 2 years now, some classes through Florida Virtual and then we supplement with some fun stuff like cooking and art (mostly painting).
Old 07-13-2012, 01:13 PM   #1565
ktate82
DIS Veteran

I am considering homeschooling my two, DD7 (2nd grade) and DS6 (1st grade) and whew is it overwhelming! How do you decide which curriculum? I have looked at Time4Learning (it seems to be mentioned a lot) and suplement with some others...any ideas? Does T4L have spelling? Is it a program that kids get on and watch then do worksheets or do they do everything online? Any one on here homeschool in IL? How receptive are the local schools to this? Sorry about all the questions, but I'm just not quite sure where to start.
June 2014 SWW at OKW, Feb 2014 Disney Magic, Sept 2013 AKL, May 2013 POP, Dec 2012 AOA, Sept 2012 POP, Sept 2011 Poly, March 2011 Poly, Sept 2010 CBR, July 1995 off site (MK only), Aug 1987 off site (MK only)

ktate82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:29 PM   #1566
DisneyMom5
DIS Veteran

Hello to all!
I haven't been on a homeschooling thread on Disboards in a long time.

We have 8 kids, just graduated our oldest (sniff), and then have one each in grades 11, 8, 5, 4, 3, and 1, and a 2 year old.

We use Sonlight, will be doing Core 300 with 11th grader, and then a mix of D+E (old 3/4), with some 100 thrown in, for the rest.

For science I do a hodge podge of books until high school when I use Apolgia.
For math I currently have kids using Teaching Textbooks, Singapore, Horizons, and oldest (the graduate) is still finishing up some Alpha Omega Consumers Math (neither of us have been very impressed with it.)

We also use Queen Homeschool Language Lessons which I LOVE.

Nice to meet other homeschooling WDW fans!
DisneyMom5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:23 AM   #1567
chris31997
Disney Kid at Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktate82 View Post
I am considering homeschooling my two, DD7 (2nd grade) and DS6 (1st grade) and whew is it overwhelming! How do you decide which curriculum? I have looked at Time4Learning (it seems to be mentioned a lot) and suplement with some others...any ideas? Does T4L have spelling? Is it a program that kids get on and watch then do worksheets or do they do everything online? Any one on here homeschool in IL? How receptive are the local schools to this? Sorry about all the questions, but I'm just not quite sure where to start.
Picking curriculum can be trail and error or you can find one the first try what works for you and your kids. Sometimes after a couple of years, you want to change it up a bit.

Seeing how you are new to homeschooling, I highly encourage you to find a group. It is great for you to be able to ask questions, see stuff and get that all important adult time But it is also good for the kids because than they can do activities with other kids like field trips or co-ops. You can google HSLDA(homeschool legal defense association) and see what their write up is about the laws in IL are. You can also get a jumping off point as to what groups might be in your area. Some people like HSLDA(I do), and others do not. Some have found their law write up not very good, but I did.

I would also encourage you to give yourself some slack. This year may go great and very smoothly or it may not. You may find the curruculum works or it may not. May work for one and not the other.

Feel free to come here and ask all the questions you want or need

Chrissy
chris31997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:26 AM   #1568
jdcthree
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktate82 View Post
This is the answer I gave someone else asking about curriculum:

I highly recommend the book 100 Top Picks for Homeschool Curriculum. It's by Cathy Duffy and it was really helpful to me! Much of the book is about how to choose curriculum (or not), learning styles, discovering your philosophy on education, etc. She even has a chart/quiz so you can figure out what "style" may work best for you.

I can't answer your other questions since I've never tried Time4Learning and I'm not in IL, but have fun on your new homeschooling journey!
Polynesian 2006
Wilderness Lodge 2005/06
jdcthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:22 AM   #1569
Mouseketeer67
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMom5 View Post
Hello to all!
I haven't been on a homeschooling thread on Disboards in a long time.

We have 8 kids, just graduated our oldest (sniff), and then have one each in grades 11, 8, 5, 4, 3, and 1, and a 2 year old.

We use Sonlight, will be doing Core 300 with 11th grader, and then a mix of D+E (old 3/4), with some 100 thrown in, for the rest.

For science I do a hodge podge of books until high school when I use Apolgia.
For math I currently have kids using Teaching Textbooks, Singapore, Horizons, and oldest (the graduate) is still finishing up some Alpha Omega Consumers Math (neither of us have been very impressed with it.)

We also use Queen Homeschool Language Lessons which I LOVE.

Nice to meet other homeschooling WDW fans!
Welcome back!

Veteran HS Mom: DS 20 Honor Grad & College Sophmore 4.0; DD 18 Honor Grad & College Freshman 3.6; DS 16
Caribbean Beach 2012
Port Orleans Riverside 2008, 2009, & 2010
Double Tree LBV 2006 & 2007
Best Western LBV 2005
Grosvenor Resort 2001, 2002 & 2004
Royal Plaza 2003
Fort Wilderness 1972
Mouseketeer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:06 PM   #1570
carsmama
Earning My Ears

I am happy to find a homeschooling thread on here. My oldest (7) is using Math-u-see, Story of the World, and Explode the code. He loves reading, legos, and snap circuits jr.

Staying at CSR 9.3.12 celebrating my 10th anniversary with my husband , and vacationing with our 2 boys (7) and (3) and extended family
carsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:21 AM   #1571
Cynestra
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by *MomTo2Princesses* View Post
For those that use My Father's World, do you supplement math? I am really leaning towards trying My Father's World (1st grade) this first year, and I have read some great reviews on it. However, I have seen several people say they supplement the math. If so, I'm leaning towards Horizons.

Does anyone have any pros/cons to MFW before we bite the bullet and purchase it?

We used MFW last year and loved it! I bought the K and Adventures for my 5 and 8 year old, and yes I did have to supplement math. I started with Right Start Mathematics, but switched over to Singapore 1A for the 5 year old and 2A for the 8 year old. Also had to drop K, because cute as it was, it wasn't the correct level for him. We will be starting ECC next month and can't wait! We also added handwriting (Handwriting without Tears) and phonics (Explode the Code) for each of them.
Cynestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:57 AM   #1572
jacksmomma
WWMD?~ What Would Mickey Do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by *MomTo2Princesses* View Post
For those that use My Father's World, do you supplement math? I am really leaning towards trying My Father's World (1st grade) this first year, and I have read some great reviews on it. However, I have seen several people say they supplement the math. If so, I'm leaning towards Horizons.

Does anyone have any pros/cons to MFW before we bite the bullet and purchase it?
We used MFW last year for KG and liked it, but we did need to supplement math. We used Math U See to supplement and it worked well. DS loved how active MUS is.
6/04 Yacht Club
8/04 Disneyland
6/05 Disneyland
2/08 POFQ
6-7/08 ASSports
5/11 Pop
jacksmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:58 PM   #1573
jenlov
Mouseketeer

Not sure how I didn't see this before, but it's nice to see a h/s thread on here!

I'm Jen, mom to 7 kids ages 15, 13, 11, 9, 6, 4, & 9ms in grades 10, 8 (doing 9th, with some combined classes w/ our 10th grader), 6, 4, 1, K4 (and the almost 9 month old). We use all Abeka b/c it is what they have had since K4 and works well for us. We've used some Saxon math w/ our oldest, but moving back to Abeka this year for math.

And we are going to WDW in December...when most kids are in school! the kids are excited! lol.
jenlov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:03 PM   #1574
EeyoreEma
DIS Veteran

Does anyone else ever get homeschool burnout? I am feeling so torn as to whether or not homeschooling is really the right thing for us right now. I love it, I really do. However, we are about to move to a town with a great school district, and part of me is tempted to send them off to school. I think I'm just tired, and stressed with the move, but I thought maybe some of y'all would have a good way to stave off the burnout. DH really thinks we should just continue on with homeschooling, and supplement with other activities once we move, which I know will be a big help since we've not really had anything to supplement with down here. Thanks.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:11 PM   #1575
jacksmomma
WWMD?~ What Would Mickey Do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeyoreEma View Post
Does anyone else ever get homeschool burnout? I am feeling so torn as to whether or not homeschooling is really the right thing for us right now. I love it, I really do. However, we are about to move to a town with a great school district, and part of me is tempted to send them off to school. I think I'm just tired, and stressed with the move, but I thought maybe some of y'all would have a good way to stave off the burnout. DH really thinks we should just continue on with homeschooling, and supplement with other activities once we move, which I know will be a big help since we've not really had anything to supplement with down here. Thanks.
I totally know the feeling, I was right there at the end of the school year last year. However, we went to a big homeschool conference which re-energized me. Then I did an inventory of my son's learning style and chose curriculum that most supports it. We have not formally started school yet this year, first day is Aug. 6th, but overall I am feeling good and ready to begin again. One thing that really helps me when I feel down is to walk away and have a little me time. Plus, remember if you send them to school you are going to spend almost as much time as you do now on homework. Keep it up, once your move is over you will be ready to begin again.
6/04 Yacht Club
8/04 Disneyland
6/05 Disneyland
2/08 POFQ
6-7/08 ASSports
5/11 Pop
jacksmomma is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: