Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2012, 08:34 AM   #1531
*MomTo2Princesses*
Mouseketeer

Hi everyone! We have decided to homeschool, and I am SO excited about it. Our oldest is 6 and will be in the 1st grade, and our little one will be 3 in a couple of weeks.

Does anyone have any tips on working with these 2 ages together? I am also so overwhelmed with curriculum. Saxon math and Apologia science have been recommended to me. I am unsure of the other subjects and Bible study. Can anyone offer any suggestions? Thanks so much!
*MomTo2Princesses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:51 AM   #1532
jcmaro
Mouseketeer

Hi! I will be homeschooling DS (6, 7 in August) for 1st grade. I also have DD (4, 5 in October) and DD (2) who will be in preschool a few mornings a week. What we will do is while the girls are in preschool we will do History (Story of the World), Science (Apologia Astronomy) and Math (Abeka). DD (4) has math and science in preschool so I don't want to add more. In the afternoon while DD (2) naps we will do phonics/reading (Explode the Code and Sonlight), Bible and Handwriting (Handwriting without Tears). DS and DD are almost on the same level for phonics/reading so those will be easy to do together, handwriting is pretty independent work and Bible is for both. That's how we are planning on doing it!

jcmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-28-2012, 12:42 AM   #1533
chris31997
Disney Kid at Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by *MomTo2Princesses* View Post
Hi everyone! We have decided to homeschool, and I am SO excited about it. Our oldest is 6 and will be in the 1st grade, and our little one will be 3 in a couple of weeks.

Does anyone have any tips on working with these 2 ages together? I am also so overwhelmed with curriculum. Saxon math and Apologia science have been recommended to me. I am unsure of the other subjects and Bible study. Can anyone offer any suggestions? Thanks so much!

We had friends who would have "kits" put together. Little shoebox type things that would come out only during school and that is the youngest schoolwork. It was always learning fun type games. Could also get begining workbooks that lil one can work on while school is in "session".

We use a Bible devotion by VeggieTales, 365. History, health, I would get books from the library to read that work with that. For language or phonics, I like Abeka. There is also a writing system that each book is called a letter of the alphabet, and it uses verses. You will need to look that one up in Christian Book Distru.(CBD.) It starts, I think, at "A".

Chrissy
chris31997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:44 AM   #1534
Nanu57v
Someone needs to tell the Tag Fairy to consult with me about spelling
Has her priorities in the right place

We use Sonlight for History, Language Arts and Reading. I LOVE it. We use Singapore math. Also LOVE. We did Sonlight science last year, and I didn't love it because it jumped between topics. I'm going to make some of my own science lessons this year, use up the Sonlight stuff we didn't finish and then revisit a new science curriculum.

Me DH DD15 DD9 DD5
Nanu57v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:46 AM   #1535
Nanu57v

As for the 3 year old, I'm setting up a workbox system for both my 7 yo and my 3 yo. The 7 yo will have 12 workboxes and the 3yo will have 6. The first 3 boxes for the little one will be things to do with mommy (like practice reading, count math counters) and the bottom 3 will be independent school work like color a picture, do a puzzle.

Me DH DD15 DD9 DD5
Old 06-28-2012, 01:14 PM   #1536
TBGOES2DISNEY
DIS Veteran

What do you use for literature?

Hello everyone, I was wondering if everyone would be willing to share what you use for literature for any/all grades. I am most interested in using real books for a majority of the course, but a "text" or reference book to go along is good too.

Thanks! (I will have 3 in school: 7th, 4th, K.)

AsMo 9/06 FD_AsMo 01/08_POP 09/08 FD_POP 12/09 MVMCP & FD_POR 10/10 MNSSHP & FD_ POR 11/11 FD_POR 12/12 FD_No trip 2013 _POP 05/14

TBGOES2DISNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:29 PM   #1537
Nicolepa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBGOES2DISNEY View Post
Hello everyone, I was wondering if everyone would be willing to share what you use for literature for any/all grades. I am most interested in using real books for a majority of the course, but a "text" or reference book to go along is good too.

I use Learning Adventures. It is a unit study, but it would be worth the $$ for the literature portion alone. It is written for 4th-8th grade. I use it for Bible, Literature and History. I don't use the Grammar, Science or Fine Arts portion.
Nicolepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:33 PM   #1538
momof3baldwins
Mouseketeer

Hi everyone! I have put together a Sea World field trip for our homeschool group in GA. We have people from all over the state of GA coming. We have additional space if anyone would like to come. The date is Mon, Sep 24. The cost is $25 per person ages 2 and up. This is a significant discount from regular Sea World prices! If anyone is interested in going let me know and I can send you more information.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:16 PM   #1539
natashag76
Oo-de-lally, oo-de-lally, golly what a day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolepa View Post
OK, new question, different child.

My dd will be in 7th grade next year. My dh has finally agreed to put hs'ing her on the table. Here's where I'm stuck. She has been in a gifted program since 1st grade. She has consistently worked 2 years ahead. For example she just finished 8th grade math, Worldly Wise 8 etc. At home we've been testing thru Saxon Alg. 1.

So how do I go about figuring out how to place her? My thoughts are

Classical Conversations Challenge A. (not totally sure this will challenge her enough, but it would be nice having all my kids doing the same program.

Have her join in our current curriculum, learning adventures, adding her own math and science. The curriculum is geared for 4th-8th grade. Maybe add in extra literature and vocab?

Find something (what?) at a 9th grade level.

Thoughts? Ideas?
Try Northwestern University's Center for Talent Development. They have a program called Gifted Learning Links (GLL). Children from all over the world use these online programs and they're not only for math. They have all different subjects. I believe it works on a semester based system.
We've never used GLL, but my daughter has gone to their summer enrichment camp and it is phenomenal! Good luck!
Old 06-28-2012, 10:16 PM   #1540
miami305
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by *MomTo2Princesses* View Post

You don't have to work with them at the same time. I homeschool during the summer. My children are used to taking turns so it works out fine. Just make sure you have enough work for them to do in case they finish faster than you planned! We have a stack of workbooks and each child has their own page of ipad apps. We brainstormed various craft ideas for the summer.

Have an outline of what you what the child to learn in the next 30 and next 60 days. Remember, you can cover a lot of ground when working one on one. You won't need hours of teaching time so it will be easy to give both children attention.

It sounds like one comprehensive program would be better for you than trying to put it all together yourself this first year. Sonlight receives a lot of praise. Check out CountingCoconuts blog for creative ideas on workbaskets for your 3yr old.

Good luck!
Old 06-29-2012, 08:07 AM   #1541
*MomTo2Princesses*
Mouseketeer

Thank you all so much for the recommendations. I will check out the curriculum suggested. I also appreciate the reference to the counting coconuts blog. She has so many wonderful ideas! I am so excited to begin this new journey and can't wait for school to start!
*MomTo2Princesses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:47 PM   #1542
Nanu57v

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBGOES2DISNEY View Post

We use Sonlight.

I am SOOOOOOOOO excited for school to start in the fall. I try to get DD to do 20 minutes of reading and a math review sheet most days in the summer, but I was surprised to hear a friend (whose son is in PS) tell me he does 2 hours of work each day. What about you guys?

Me DH DD15 DD9 DD5
Old 06-29-2012, 07:50 PM   #1543
chris31997
Disney Kid at Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanu57v View Post
We use Sonlight.

I am SOOOOOOOOO excited for school to start in the fall. I try to get DD to do 20 minutes of reading and a math review sheet most days in the summer, but I was surprised to hear a friend (whose son is in PS) tell me he does 2 hours of work each day. What about you guys?
We do very little. Maybe 30-60 min of reading and field trips.

I am not surprised that your friend's son has to do 2hr, usually they have a hard time getting in all the instructional time that they need during the day/year, so they have to make it. Drives my dad, who is a teacher, crazy with the reteaching of concepts they should know, probelm students he has to deal with, and the paperwork.

With the 2 students I have, I can accomplish alomst everything in about 5hours in the typical school year.

Chrissy
chris31997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:40 AM   #1544
miami305
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris31997 View Post
We do very little. Maybe 30-60 min of reading and field trips.

I am not surprised that your friend's son has to do 2hr, usually they have a hard time getting in all the instructional time that they need during the day/year, so they have to make it. Drives my dad, who is a teacher, crazy with the reteaching of concepts they should know, probelm students he has to deal with, and the paperwork.

With the 2 students I have, I can accomplish alomst everything in about 5hours in the typical school year.
Trying to keep 20 or 30 preschoolers on task isn't easy. You need more time to ensure everyone understands and completes the task. Also, a structured preschool day includes story time, circle time, fingerplays, songs, dance, calendar/seasons, etc. There are a lot of short activities that fill up the day. Preschoolers have snack breaks and nap time. A day at preschool goes quickly.

I do no more than 2 separate 1/2hr blocks of "real" school work with DS. Story and craft time are whenever in our day.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:11 AM   #1545
chicagoshannon
DIS Veteran

We use Sonlight also.

We're actually going to start our new year on July 9th. Although DD has been begging to start so we may just start tomorrow.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: