Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2012, 06:39 PM   #1516
Nicolepa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris31997 View Post
You still got a young one. Sometimes it takes time for it to click. Little boys sometimes find it difficult to sit still. Give him some time
I know. He asks me every day to teach him to read. He just wants me to wave my magic wand. I've never had to teach one to read. My youngest taught herself at 3, my middle went to school for K & 1. He's the first I've had to work with.
Nicolepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:42 PM   #1517
MommyBell08
DIS Veteran

I am a young Mom, and our family is eager and excited to begin our HS journey. This was a great read!

http://www.magicalchildhood.com/articles/4yo.htm

ASMo'04*O.S.'06*POP'07*POP'09*CSR'09*AKV'11(KV)*AK V'12(J)*OKW'12 OHANA ....Coming soon AKV'14

MommyBell08 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-19-2012, 07:43 AM   #1518
chicagoshannon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolepa View Post
On another note. What are some good phonics programs? I have a 4 yo (5 in Feb.) who is wanting to read so bad. Problem is he isn't patient enough to learn. I am looking for something fun/interactive that might keep his interest.

We are doing a letter game I found on Pinterest. He is also doing Ooka Island and really likes that, when I can get him to do it. We tried Study Dog and he got bored. We do Letter Factory and he knows the sounds. He might not know what the letter is, but he knows what sound it makes.

Just looking for something fun for us to do.
You could try Reading Eggs. They usually have a free trial. It has fun phonics games.

We used the Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading. It worked really well but it's not really fun. I was glad when we finished it.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:50 AM   #1519
Nicolepa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyBell08 View Post
I am a young Mom, and our family is eager and excited to begin our HS journey. This was a great read!

http://www.magicalchildhood.com/articles/4yo.htm
Loved this! I know it probably doesn't sound like it from my earlier post, but I've really learned this with my 3rd. We have so much fun together. And I don't feel bad if we sit on the floor and play cars instead of doing dishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoshannon View Post
You could try Reading Eggs. They usually have a free trial. It has fun phonics games.

We used the Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading. It worked really well but it's not really fun. I was glad when we finished it.
I just downloaded the reading eggs app for my ipad. So far he is enjoying it. He was crying the other night because I took it from him so we could go to bed. He kept crying "I want to learn, I want to learn, I don't need storytime." Of course when we get upstairs he says "did I miss storytime?"
Old 06-19-2012, 02:19 PM   #1520
Nanu57v
Someone needs to tell the Tag Fairy to consult with me about spelling
Has her priorities in the right place

Quote:
I have, but to be honest I feel I was missing something. He clicked on the letters a few times and was done and wouldn't have anything to do with it again. Everyone raves about it, so I might have to see if I was missing something.

In all honesty I might just have to be more patient. He is making progress, but my husband is "eager" for him to read. He loves to be read to and will sit all day reading stories. He just won't sit still long enough to learn what needs to be learned. ;-)
Try the next part of starfall...the "learn to read" part. That's what my DD LOVED.

Me DH DD7 DD2
Nanu57v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:25 PM   #1521
Nicolepa
DIS Veteran

OK, new question, different child.

My dd will be in 7th grade next year. My dh has finally agreed to put hs'ing her on the table. Here's where I'm stuck. She has been in a gifted program since 1st grade. She has consistently worked 2 years ahead. For example she just finished 8th grade math, Worldly Wise 8 etc. At home we've been testing thru Saxon Alg. 1.

So how do I go about figuring out how to place her? My thoughts are

Classical Conversations Challenge A. (not totally sure this will challenge her enough, but it would be nice having all my kids doing the same program.

Have her join in our current curriculum, learning adventures, adding her own math and science. The curriculum is geared for 4th-8th grade. Maybe add in extra literature and vocab?

Find something (what?) at a 9th grade level.

Thoughts? Ideas?
Old 06-25-2012, 10:20 AM   #1522
kc10family
Fly Chick

May I ask what is the status of the Homeschool group getting its own thread?
It's funny because I come to the DIS for losts of great and crazy FYI and after a long break (that conversation will require a stronger drink than coffee ) I figured the HS group would have its own thread.
kc10family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:10 AM   #1523
chris31997
Disney Kid at Heart

Quote:

My dd will be in 7th grade next year. My dh has finally agreed to put hs'ing her on the table. Here's where I'm stuck. She has been in a gifted program since 1st grade. She has consistently worked 2 years ahead. For example she just finished 8th grade math, Worldly Wise 8 etc. At home we've been testing thru Saxon Alg. 1.

Classical Conversations Challenge A. (not totally sure this will challenge her enough, but it would be nice having all my kids doing the same program.

Have her join in our current curriculum, learning adventures, adding her own math and science. The curriculum is geared for 4th-8th grade. Maybe add in extra literature and vocab?

Thoughts? Ideas?

Look into Christian Liberty Press, they do placement testing. It might be online not sure but the CAT-5 testing is. It could give you a heads up on to where to start her. It could save the headache about finding curriculm.

Had a friend whose DD was blowing thru the books, finally tested her and she tested about 3 grades above.

I hope teaching reading is working out

Chrissy
chris31997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:16 AM   #1524
kcp1377
Mouseketeer

Just wanted to pop in and say Hi! I always love meeting new HSing families and was so happy to see this thread here. Disney and HSing - what could be better? We have been HSing for a year now and absolutely love it. DS1 is starting 3rd grade and DDs are starting 1st.

Nicole - Ditto the placement testing. We don't do a full base curriculum - just piece everything together. So the placement testing has been wonderful because we're not going based on grade numbers - just based on what the child's individual level is at. And you may find some of the curriculum numbers are different than what the PS level is. For instance, we found that Horizons 1 was equal to our local PS grade 2. But others aren't necessarily the same as that. And how exciting that your DH agreed to talk about it! We tossed the idea around for years before he agreed to really discuss it. I'm so happy he did. It's been so freeing in so many ways!

kcp1377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:34 AM   #1525
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

Is anyone else in my boat? My ds(8) does wonders in math and science, but it seems every time he has a seizure he regresses in reading. He was reading at a 2nd grade reading level last fall. We are now back at K4, with basic phonic blends. Yet he retains math and is doing multiplication.
lovethattink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:09 PM   #1526
chicagoshannon
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Thoughts? Ideas?
I think I'd try to find something at her level. Have you read The Well Trained Mind? It might be a good reference for you. I don't know if you want secular materials or not but you might want to look at Veritas Press Omnibus for her( it's a Christian company).
Old 06-26-2012, 05:00 PM   #1527
Nanu57v

This is a loaded question: but how (where) do you teach? In my mind, homeschooling is quiet and calm with us moving easily from subject to subject as we sit at the kitchen table Duggar-style. In reality, I have a 2 year old and our kitchen chairs aren't really that comfortable. Also, we don't really have a good place for individual work, since the kitchen table is in the same area where the 2 year old plays. Ideas?

Me DH DD7 DD2
Old 06-26-2012, 05:16 PM   #1528
Nicolepa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanu57v View Post
This is a loaded question: but how (where) do you teach? In my mind, homeschooling is quiet and calm with us moving easily from subject to subject as we sit at the kitchen table Duggar-style. In reality, I have a 2 year old and our kitchen chairs aren't really that comfortable. Also, we don't really have a good place for individual work, since the kitchen table is in the same area where the 2 year old plays. Ideas?
We started at the kitchen table. Didn't work well for us. Distraction central, and I'm not talking about the baby we had at the time. It was, I need to get water, what's that outside, I'm hungry etc. I'd turn my back to get the next book and he'd be gone and it would take 15 minutes to get him back at the table.

I know a lot of people are successful that way but spring break of our first year I double purposed our bonus room into a classroom/playroom. It has worked out well. Our now 4 yo can play in his room and I can still hear him, but he's not a distraction, we don't have to totally clean up to eat. I can cook and he can still do work w/o being distracted.

I also have desk in his room. He tends to "get distracted" and will take forever to do his work. This enables him to procrastinate but the others in the house can still play if they want.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:45 PM   #1529
chris31997
Disney Kid at Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanu57v View Post
Have school will travel

We have done the kitchen table, the living room floor while I folded laundry, computer/craft room, we read books on the road now, and when we move we pack school and do it in the airports and in the cars.

The cool thing with homeschooling, you find what fits your family. Kitchen table does not work throw it out. Well, for school anyway Do school sitting outside at your picnic table, if you have one Why use a table? Sit on the floor or do one subject at the table and than move somewhere else for another. Sometimes DS stands to do school at the kitchen table, he can focus better.

Chrissy
chris31997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:02 PM   #1530
Nanu57v

After posting this I discovered the workbox system. I'm super duper excited to try it. I love how DD will be able to do independent work independently without the constant "Mom, what's next" or "mom, how much more do we have to do?"

Me DH DD7 DD2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: