Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2012, 05:59 PM   #1501
natashag76
Oo-de-lally, oo-de-lally, golly what a day!

Anyone have any thoughts on Time4Learning?
Old 06-11-2012, 11:51 PM   #1502
DeeSanDisneyFan
Earning My Ears

Subscribing...I will start homeschooling my 4 yr old this August.

WDW: 1983(First time), 2001(4 parks on July 4th), 2003(Off-site Disneymoon)

Disney Cruise: 2009 Magic(DD's 2nd Birthday and our 6th Anniversary)

Last edited by DeeSanDisneyFan; 06-12-2012 at 12:43 AM.
DeeSanDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-12-2012, 06:04 AM   #1503
DisneyDizzy
Mouseketeer

Hi everyone! I'm just wondering if anyone is in North Carolina. We homeschool our 10-year-old son and will homeschool our 2-year-old daughter in the future. My husband is possibly being transferred to North Carolina. We're very excited! However, we are currently in Indiana which basically has no reporting, testing, or curriculum requirements so I'm concerned about how things work in North Carolina.

I've read up on the rules and laws but just wondered if someone lives there and homeschools wouldn't mind chiming in with how things work (with testing) and the general atmosphere of homeschooling there.

Thanks!!!!!

Sept. 2006 All-Star Movies
Dec. 2008 Pop Century
Sept. 2011 Pop Century
DisneyDizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:54 AM   #1504
jdcthree
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by natashag76 View Post
I'd like to ask all the veterans out there -
How did you choose your curriculum? Did you use several different things rolled into one?
I highly recommend the book 100 Top Picks for Homeschool Curriculum. It's by Cathy Duffy and it was really helpful to me! Much of the book is about how to choose curriculum (or not), learning styles, discovering your philosophy on education, etc. She even has a chart/quiz so you can figure out what "style" may work best for you.
Polynesian 2006
Wilderness Lodge 2005/06
jdcthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 01:45 PM   #1505
Corjack
Free Dining 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by natashag76 View Post
Anyone have any thoughts on Time4Learning?
My DD8 used it in 1st and 2nd grade but we purchased more comprehensive curriculum for next year so we will no longer be using it. I liked it for supplimenting. WE may decide to use it again after we see how things are going next year!
Third trip 2000
First time at WDW resort POP Century April 2008
POP April 2009
POP Aug 2010
ASMu May 2011
POP Oct/Nov 2012
POP APRIL 2013
Next APRIL 2014[/color]

DH42 Me40 DD9 DS5 DD3
Corjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 02:23 PM   #1506
dis-happy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDizzy View Post
Hi everyone! I'm just wondering if anyone is in North Carolina. We homeschool our 10-year-old son and will homeschool our 2-year-old daughter in the future. My husband is possibly being transferred to North Carolina. We're very excited! However, we are currently in Indiana which basically has no reporting, testing, or curriculum requirements so I'm concerned about how things work in North Carolina.

I've read up on the rules and laws but just wondered if someone lives there and homeschools wouldn't mind chiming in with how things work (with testing) and the general atmosphere of homeschooling there.

Thanks!!!!!
I've been hs'ing in nc for 17 yrs and it's very easy. Sign up your HS with the state (DNPE) when you move here. Once a year you send in an attendance form ( check off 180 days on a calendar, very easy) and do a standardized test ( I administer the CAT at home, $25. from Seton by mail). That's it!

Also, hs'ing in NC is very popular, so there are lots of good support groups and activities and scholastic opportunities.
dis-happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:28 PM   #1507
DisneyDizzy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dis-happy View Post
I've been hs'ing in nc for 17 yrs and it's very easy. Sign up your HS with the state (DNPE) when you move here. Once a year you send in an attendance form ( check off 180 days on a calendar, very easy) and do a standardized test ( I administer the CAT at home, $25. from Seton by mail). That's it!

Also, hs'ing in NC is very popular, so there are lots of good support groups and activities and scholastic opportunities.
Thank you! We're pretty excited. It's very popular here in Indiana as well but we aren't involved in much right now because we just needed some "down" time this year. Hopefully we'll be able to time getting to NC in time to get involved as things start back up in the fall.

One question...I hope I don't seem like a dunce. I can't seem to find anywhere what I DO with the standardized test. Do I mail it with the attendance records? Or do I just hang on to it in case I'm asked for it. We've never had to test before so sorry if I seem confused!

Sept. 2006 All-Star Movies
Dec. 2008 Pop Century
Sept. 2011 Pop Century
DisneyDizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:16 PM   #1508
Nicolepa
DIS Veteran

Just a small vent.

If my mom tells me one more time that I should put him in school so he can learn to function in the "real" world I'm going to lose it. I kind of did today.

Now she is pro homeschooling (to a point). She sees how much my son has progressed since we came home 3 years ago. My son is just, well, quirky. He is totally black and white. No grey, never. His idea of black and white do not always agree with the rest of the world.

For some reason she thinks that he will learn to be more adapatable in a school setting. Today, like I said, I kind of lost it with her. I asked her, other than a school setting, where are you with people, only your own age with one authority figure? I also pointed out (for the zillionth time) that the only thing sending him to school would acomplish is having to battle 3 hours of homework with 3 tired, cranky, kids at home. At least now we can battle when we are all fresh and not stressed out. Just sending him to school will not make him do his work, it will just make him stressed out (with migraines and vomiting along with it. BTDT)

OK, vent over. Thanks.
Nicolepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:23 PM   #1509
Nicolepa
DIS Veteran

On another note. What are some good phonics programs? I have a 4 yo (5 in Feb.) who is wanting to read so bad. Problem is he isn't patient enough to learn. I am looking for something fun/interactive that might keep his interest.

We are doing a letter game I found on Pinterest. He is also doing Ooka Island and really likes that, when I can get him to do it. We tried Study Dog and he got bored. We do Letter Factory and he knows the sounds. He might not know what the letter is, but he knows what sound it makes.

Just looking for something fun for us to do.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:24 PM   #1510
jacksmomma
WWMD?~ What Would Mickey Do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolepa View Post
Just a small vent.

If my mom tells me one more time that I should put him in school so he can learn to function in the "real" world I'm going to lose it. I kind of did today.

Now she is pro homeschooling (to a point). She sees how much my son has progressed since we came home 3 years ago. My son is just, well, quirky. He is totally black and white. No grey, never. His idea of black and white do not always agree with the rest of the world.

For some reason she thinks that he will learn to be more adapatable in a school setting. Today, like I said, I kind of lost it with her. I asked her, other than a school setting, where are you with people, only your own age with one authority figure? I also pointed out (for the zillionth time) that the only thing sending him to school would acomplish is having to battle 3 hours of homework with 3 tired, cranky, kids at home. At least now we can battle when we are all fresh and not stressed out. Just sending him to school will not make him do his work, it will just make him stressed out (with migraines and vomiting along with it. BTDT)

OK, vent over. Thanks.

I just want to say amen sister! I am getting the comments more and more right now...we are finishing up Kindergarten and everyone thinks my "experiement" is over and it is time for DS to "really learn in real school".
6/04 Yacht Club
8/04 Disneyland
6/05 Disneyland
2/08 POFQ
6-7/08 ASSports
5/11 Pop
jacksmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:31 PM   #1511
Nanu57v
Someone needs to tell the Tag Fairy to consult with me about spelling
Has her priorities in the right place

Quote:
On another note. What are some good phonics programs? I have a 4 yo (5 in Feb.) who is wanting to read so bad. Problem is he isn't patient enough to learn. I am looking for something fun/interactive that might keep his interest.

We are doing a letter game I found on Pinterest. He is also doing Ooka Island and really likes that, when I can get him to do it. We tried Study Dog and he got bored. We do Letter Factory and he knows the sounds. He might not know what the letter is, but he knows what sound it makes.

Have you been on Starfall?

Me DH DD15 DD9 DD5
Nanu57v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:59 PM   #1512
Nicolepa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanu57v View Post
Have you been on Starfall?
I have, but to be honest I feel I was missing something. He clicked on the letters a few times and was done and wouldn't have anything to do with it again. Everyone raves about it, so I might have to see if I was missing something.

In all honesty I might just have to be more patient. He is making progress, but my husband is "eager" for him to read. He loves to be read to and will sit all day reading stories. He just won't sit still long enough to learn what needs to be learned. ;-)
Old 06-18-2012, 06:30 PM   #1513
chris31997
Disney Kid at Heart

Quote:

You still got a young one. Sometimes it takes time for it to click. Little boys sometimes find it difficult to sit still. Give him some time

Chrissy
chris31997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:35 PM   #1514
chris31997
Disney Kid at Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDizzy View Post
Thank you! We're pretty excited. It's very popular here in Indiana as well but we aren't involved in much right now because we just needed some "down" time this year. Hopefully we'll be able to time getting to NC in time to get involved as things start back up in the fall.

One question...I hope I don't seem like a dunce. I can't seem to find anywhere what I DO with the standardized test. Do I mail it with the attendance records? Or do I just hang on to it in case I'm asked for it. We've never had to test before so sorry if I seem confused!

We did it for 8 yrs. Actually started in NC. We never had to send in a form, but it all depends on if they send you the form or not. You can go to Christian Liberty Press and request testing. You can do online, love it, and get the results with in minutes, or do it on paper. You keep the results the entire time you are homeschooling and you would mail it in with the attendance form if they ask for the form. I would not volunteer info unless they ask you for it. Tell them that you are homeschooling and the kids and that info and if they send you the pink post card than send in the attendance record with the testing results. You will need to test or have them evaluated every year. We tested.

Chrissy
chris31997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:37 PM   #1515
MommyBell08
DIS Veteran

Quote:

nmd. Was going to suggest letter factory but didnt read enought of your post! Do you have Word factory?

ASMo'04*O.S.'06*POP'07*POP'09*CSR'09*AKV'11(KV)*AK V'12(J)*OKW'12 OHANA ....Coming soon AKV'14 and SSR'14

MommyBell08 is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: