Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2010, 10:37 AM   #136
polkadotsuitcase
Disney-loving mom!

DISboards Approved Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissChris View Post
But what do you say when people ask you about your older children? How do you deflect the inevitable prying, judgment, and unsolicited advice?
We just say they're homeschooled. Not many people ask anymore -- it's really becoming more "mainstream," and combined with the year-round schools we have here, it's not unusual to see kids during the weekdays.

And maybe I just look scary, but I've never had anyone say boo diddly about our education choices.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:26 PM   #137
MissChris
Mouseketeer

I guess I'm expecting trouble because even now, before official school age, I get a lot of questions. When I say she isn't in preschool people are so surprised that its like they can't quite believe it at first. Frequently they will rephrase the question as though I must have misunderstood, I guess because my reply made no sense to them.

Then they always want to know why. I usually just point out that she is 4 and not really expected to be in school yet. Sometimes I mention that we're considering homeschool but often I don't have time for all the questions that opens up. I want to be friendly but honestly I mostly just want to say its none of their business, but I don't because its not their fault that I've already had this conversation with enough strangers to last me pretty much forever.

Writing this I guess its really my own issue. Of course people will be curious and I need to work on my patience, never my strongest area.

Introducing my family
Me Disney instigator, Mr. bold and hearty, our Big Girl and social butterfly , and the new guy
MissChris is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-02-2010, 03:56 PM   #138
DisneyDizzy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissChris View Post
I guess I'm expecting trouble because even now, before official school age, I get a lot of questions. When I say she isn't in preschool people are so surprised that its like they can't quite believe it at first. Frequently they will rephrase the question as though I must have misunderstood, I guess because my reply made no sense to them.

Then they always want to know why. I usually just point out that she is 4 and not really expected to be in school yet. Sometimes I mention that we're considering homeschool but often I don't have time for all the questions that opens up. I want to be friendly but honestly I mostly just want to say its none of their business, but I don't because its not their fault that I've already had this conversation with enough strangers to last me pretty much forever.

Writing this I guess its really my own issue. Of course people will be curious and I need to work on my patience, never my strongest area.
I've homeschooled in 3 different states and never really had anyone say anything. The only thing I can recall is recently we were out to lunch and the waitress asked if my son was playing hooky and he said, "No, I'm homeschooled." She just said "Cool!"

Then again, maybe I just don't look like I want to make conversation!! Or look unfriendly?

Sept. 2006 All-Star Movies
Dec. 2008 Pop Century
Sept. 2011 Pop Century
DisneyDizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 05:50 AM   #139
polkadotsuitcase
Disney-loving mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by polkadotsuitcase View Post
And maybe I just look scary, but I've never had anyone say boo diddly about our education choices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDizzy View Post
Then again, maybe I just don't look like I want to make conversation!! Or look unfriendly?
Ah, see? We've hit on something here -- we're an intimidating bunch!
Old 09-03-2010, 07:29 AM   #140
MissChris
Mouseketeer

AHA! I'm going to work on my intimidation factor!

Pictures of your discouraging looks would be extremely helpful!

This is probably too much, , right?

maybe this one would be good too cool for school.

Introducing my family
Me Disney instigator, Mr. bold and hearty, our Big Girl and social butterfly , and the new guy
MissChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:22 AM   #141
polkadotsuitcase
Disney-loving mom!

Here's my, "Yeah, we homeschool. You got something to say about that?" look:

Old 09-03-2010, 08:29 AM   #142
ilovepete
DIS Veteran

I have noticed people change their tune when they find out we are homeschooling and start giving all sorts of advice. Pretty annoying!
Old 09-03-2010, 08:31 AM   #143
Disney Mommy 3
DIS Veteran

Polkadot~ that is hilarious!! Don't you just feel like that somedays?!!!

Disney Mommy 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:57 AM   #144
jacksmomma
WWMD?~ What Would Mickey Do?

I work part-time in a science lab at a musuem. I get a lot of homeschoolers in my hands on space. I will generally ask if the kids are homeschooled and sometimes I get the huffy yes, but when I mention that I am choosing that for my child as well the tone totally changes. We really need a button or handshake.

I few people have asked my newly turned 4 year old about preschool, but he just says, "Momma is my teacher, I do it at home." That generally ends the conversation.
6/04 Yacht Club
8/04 Disneyland
6/05 Disneyland
2/08 POFQ
6-7/08 ASSports
5/11 Pop
jacksmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:10 AM   #145
DawnM
Dawn

We have very much enjoyed SL History (although as I mentioned we are now looking for more hands on). For the older grades, History is the core of the program and literature is built around it.

Science, IMHO, is just ok. It is fine and many love it, we just didn't get into as much.

SL History isn't all that hands on, and when folks have commented on that,, SL has said, "Well, our Science is very hands on." This is true and for many, they want hands on science and more reading based History and Literature. If that is the combo you are looking for, it will probably work very well for you.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksmomma View Post
I guess I should have been more specific. My son could get lost in books. He is learning to read and loves to be read to. I have been researching sonlight and it seems like it will be a good fit for us, but I have heard some less than great comments on the science and/or history lessons. Could anyone give me feedback on that? or an example of a typical lesson? Thank you!

living with 4 boys (dh included)

Last edited by DawnM; 09-03-2010 at 10:11 AM.
DawnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:11 AM   #146
my*2*angels
DIS Veteran

The question I get asked the most is, "So how is THAT going?"! You know, in that, ARE YOU NUTS!!!!, tone! I just say it is wonderful and we are LOVING it! It works great for our family!!! Or if I am especially perturbed(LOL is that even a word!) I will tell them about my DD7's epilepsy and how dangerous it could be for her at school. That usually ends the conversation!
Old 09-03-2010, 09:25 AM   #147
graygables
Doesn't like to discuss the Y2K Picante Sauce thing
I ran away to London (as in England) when I was 17. We lived in Tulsa (as in Oklahoma) at the time

I find the attitudes thing interesting. Maybe it's just that we're so whatever about it, but it doesn't bother us when people ask and we've never had a negative interaction. Once, we were at the mall when someone asked if the girls were playing hooky and my then-freshman said, "Nope. We're on a free market economy field trip" Every once in awhile, someone will say, "Why aren't you girls in school?" and my kiddos give them a and say, "We ARE".
graygables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:14 AM   #148
DawnM
Dawn

I don't get too many negative comments anymore. I used to get a lot of ridiculous "what about socialization?" questions as we Moms would sit on a park bench and their kids would be acting like banchies while mine were being cooperative...... There is so much I WANTED to say during those moments.

Here in NC there are SO many homeschoolers that it is almost the norm.

I also taught ps (and was a school counselor) for 16 years total so that is really nothing they can throw at me that they think they know and I don't about what school is really like!

Who knows, maybe I give out a "bring it on!" attitude now because I really don't get much in the way of neg. comments now.

Dawn

living with 4 boys (dh included)
DawnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:12 PM   #149
Srackangast
Earning My Ears

Yes, home school is BIG here in NC. We do get the question but no one seems to think too much of our answering "we home school". This is only our 2nd year and I love it. Wish I had started a long time ago.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:33 AM   #150
polkadotsuitcase
Disney-loving mom!

I didn't realize there were so many from NC on this thread -- we should organize a h/s get-together. Hmm. Where would we go?

Oh, okay -- let's go to Disney! It's the only logical choice, after all...

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: