Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2010, 05:25 PM   #1
Disney Mommy 3
DIS Veteran

Homeschool Chat Part III

Hello all!! This is the second part of our homeschool thread....the mods will be closing the other one soon,...so I thought we should get started over here!! Come on over and keep talkin "shop"!!

Last edited by Disney Mommy 3; 08-17-2010 at 05:50 PM.
Disney Mommy 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 05:37 PM   #2
Michelle and crew
I can't believe this might be our last trip to Disney together. The boys are growing up and will be moving on. Breathe deep.

You might want to introduce the thread as Julie did. It made the objectives clear. JMO.
Michelle and crew is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-15-2010, 05:40 PM   #3
ilovepete
DIS Veteran

Would love to join you! This is our first year.
Old 08-15-2010, 05:47 PM   #4
Mommy2three
Mouseketeer

hope everyone that has started already for the year that everything is going well! and welcome to all new homeschoolers
Old 08-15-2010, 05:56 PM   #5
Disney Mommy 3
DIS Veteran

Since our Homeschool Thread is going to be closed soon, I thought I would be proactive and start us a new place to chat. I also changed the title since we aren't looking for folks to see if there are enough for a subforum, just looking to talk to each other and get advice on day to day school stuff.

I would ask that if you are not a homeschooler, you be respectful of our choice to do so. We welcome any questions about the logisitics of this and especially welcome anyone who is thinking about homeschooling and has questions. What we would really appreciate is if you want to post about why on earth anyone would do this or the social problems that you are sure our children have or basically to attack us in anyway, that you start your own thread. If you haven't run into this type of thing before, it may seem odd that I am bringing it up, but we are just a group of moms who are doing what we feel is the best choice for our own family--just like any other mom. We would simply like a place to hang out and not be attacked.

Our old thread is located here http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=840970 It is pretty long so if you haven't read it, grab a cup of coffee!

Happy Posting!!

I actually just copied and pasted Julies post...it is the same thread,just the next part!! Thanks Michelle and crew~ I didn't think about that! Hope this is good enough to get us going!!! LOL....
I love pete~ congrats! You are gonna love hsing!!!!
Mommy2three~ yep....we have started and things are full swing!!!!

Disney Mommy 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 06:05 PM   #6
McDuck
DIS Veteran

I'm subbing...I am planning way earlier than I need to, as my daughter isn't even 10 months old yet. For many reasons, partly because her birthday falls after our state's cutoff, DH and I have decided to homeschool her. I've already started checking state benchmarks for preschool and purchased a few preschool workbooks from Sam's Club. I'm starting so early since I'm basically going to be creating my own curriculum from scratch it seems. Knowledge is power, right?

McDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 06:19 PM   #7
Michelle and crew
I can't believe this might be our last trip to Disney together. The boys are growing up and will be moving on. Breathe deep.

lol, you might not want to purchase a lot ahead of time. I've found over the years that stuff just gets better and better. What I bought for my first is obsolete by the third.
Michelle and crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 06:30 PM   #8
my*2*angels
DIS Veteran

Saxon math????

Does anyone on here use Saxon math??? This is my first year of homeschooling, and alot of people recommended this, but now I am not so sure!? We have only completed one day of homeschool, but my DD has already taken the first 4 test and made a 100 on all of them. We have not done the first lesson, I just gave her all of the test because she kept telling me"Mom I already know that!"LOL I don't want her to get bored, I am just wondering what you all use for Math, and if there is something better suited to her. Thanks!!!

Mindy
Old 08-15-2010, 06:41 PM   #9
SGMCO
Vintage Style is Sweet--Rumbleseat Fashions

Is Online School done at home considered Home Schooling? or should I start another thread? My DS is doing Online High School from home this year and
I'm a bit scared because it's all new to me, I'm sure everything we be OK.
Looking of other High Schoolers.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:46 PM   #10
wondermomamy
Earning My Ears

I'm not sure if I introduced myself on the other thread--maybe I just posted some replies. Anyway, I'm a homeschool mom of four, ages almost 7 to 17.

We plan to start this year August 30, do school for a few weeks, then two weeks at DisneyWorld. Woohoo!
Old 08-15-2010, 07:32 PM   #11
Auggiedaugie
Mouseketeer

Hello Everyone! I posted a few times on the other thread with some questions. We are officially beginning our homeschool adventure this fall and are super excited! I love the info from all of the posters on here and look forward to partaking a bit more.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:43 PM   #12
jannylynn
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGMCO View Post
Is Online School done at home considered Home Schooling? or should I start another thread? My DS is doing Online High School from home this year and
I think it is! Your child is at home with you, correct?

AND just popin' in to say HI! I'm a homeschool mommy to 3. We started Aug. 2. But last week was rough because we had a tummy bug. So we are behind.

Mindy, most curriculum has a few chapters of review from the previous year. Peek ahead and see if there is new stuff coming up. Did you do a placement test to make sure you had the correct level?

All Star Music, Family Suite, Dec. 2013!
jannylynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:04 PM   #13
my*2*angels
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannylynn View Post
Mindy, most curriculum has a few chapters of review from the previous year. Peek ahead and see if there is new stuff coming up. Did you do a placement test to make sure you had the correct level?
NO! I don't even know anything about placement tests! I am so very new to all of this! I just bought 2nd grade curriculum and thought that was what she needed. I am going to look ahead into part 2 of the workbooks and see what is coming up. Maybe I just need to skip ahead a bit.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:51 PM   #14
NHWX
DIS Veteran

Hi everyone!

I'm a homeschooling mom to two teenage boys - one almost 15 and the other is 17. One will be a senior when we start next month; the other a sophomore. When I meet people who I haven't seen in a while I get a lot of "Wow! You're really doing it to the end" and other such comments.

NHWX
NHWX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:59 PM   #15
NHWX
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGMCO View Post
In my opinion, you should feel welcome here! I'm sure you'll encounter many of the same questions and comments that well-meaning people have for homeschoolers.

"But what about hard subjects like high school math?" (That's why there's online high schools, video based courses, dual enrollment in community colleges or high schools, etc.)
"I could never spend that much time with my child/children." (I've never come up with a reasonable response to that one.)
"But what about the prom?" (If his girlfriend goes to the high school, he'll go to that prom. Otherwise, he might be going to the Homeschool Prom. We do have one in our area.)
"But what about socialization?" (4-H, robotics, volunteering, etc. fill organized socialization needs for us. And part of why my oldest left the high school was the socialization of drug deals at lunch, thefts from backpacks, fights in the locker room, etc.)
"Will he ever go to college?" (This summer my ds17 had an interview with the assistant dean of admissions at a nearby campus for our state university. The short summary: send us your SAT scores, keep up your grades and courses and you'll be in with no problem. No problem!)

NHWX
NHWX is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: