Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2010, 08:17 PM   #61
jelloarms
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnmel View Post

Things HAVE to do in Epcot:
Soarin'
Test Track
Spaceship Earth - MANY times (we just LOVE this ride, both the relaxing part, and the hilarious little video at the end)
Mission Space - I am prone to motion sickness, but I know DH really wants to try the Orange side. he is willing to do it by himself, but would much prefer I try with him. I said I *MAY* try, but only as our very last ride of the night. That way if I feel sick I can just go to bed and sleep it off. He's even willing to sleep in the next day if I need more time to recuperate.

I am thinking the same thing regarding Mission Space...riding it last and at night. Last time I rode it right at the beginning of the day and I didn't get over the sick feeling until the next morning. What a waste of a day!
jelloarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 11:21 AM   #62
ronnmel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelloarms View Post
I am thinking the same thing regarding Mission Space...riding it last and at night. Last time I rode it right at the beginning of the day and I didn't get over the sick feeling until the next morning. What a waste of a day!
Exactly. I don't want to risk wasting a full day. Still not sure if I will even try it though, I have a tendency of making myself feel sick before attractions just because of over-anticipating...
ronnmel is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-25-2010, 12:02 PM   #63
ronnmel
DIS Veteran

* I borrowed this survey from Jelloarms's PTR. *

Ronnmel's DISNEY WORLD SURVEY

1. What is your name?::

Mel

2. When was the first time you went to Disney World?::

I think winter of 1983

3. When was the last time you went to Disney World?::

August 2009

4. When is the next time you will be in Disney World?::

August 2011

GETTING THERE

5. How do you usually get to to Disney World?::

I fly there. Don't feel like wasting 4-6 days of my trip going there and coming back by car.

6. What do you do to pass the time while getting there?::

Listen to music, watch the movie provided by the airline (when there is one), read.

7. Do you have any particularly memorable or interesting experiences you can recall happening on your journey to Disney World?::

My last trip was the first time I had a layover, and I was all alone because I had booked my flight way after my boyfriend. I was so nervous that something would go wrong, but fortunately everything went A-okay.

LODGING

8. What is your favorite place you have stayed at and why? It does not have to be on property::

The only place I've stayed on property is Caribbean Beach Resort and it was awesome. Such beautiful layouts, great pool, reminded me of my other favorite place to visit: actual Caribbean islands.

9. What is your least favorite place you have stayed at and why? (It doesn't necessarily have to be a bad place, it's just that maybe out of all your list of favorites, this would be your least favorite)::

Only other place I remember stayed at was a very basic motel in Kissemee. At
least it was only for one night, as we were only going to the Magic Kingdom for one day, then going back to my grand-parents winter home near Fort Lauderdale.

MAGIC KINGDOM

10. What is your favorite attraction in the MK?

Splash Mountain. It has everything: a great story, a catchy song, and a thrilling drop at the end. Plus it's quite long!

11. What is your least favorite attraction in the MK?

I liked everything I tried, but have no interest in ever seeing Country Bear Jamboree, so i would say that one.

12. Tell me a random memory you have involving the MK.

*Disclaimer* This story is slightly gross.

When I went to MK for only one day when I was 9, we ate at McDonalds the night before. I was so excited that I must have ate my meal in 2 bites max. So the next day, as we are waiting to get into the park (or maybe even to buy our tickets), I start feeling very queasy. So queasy that I was actually sick. My grandma wanted to turn around right there, but there was no way I was going to pass on my only day in Disney World in forever (in fact, it did take almost 20 years before I went back!). So I battled through it and we spent the first half of the day between gentle rides, and me being sick.

My brother kept bugging me, asking if I was okay enough to try Space Mountain. I'd tell him "later". Well one of those gentle rides we did was the People Mover. When we passed through Space Mountain and my brother saw the fluorescent of the ride vehicles speeding by, he didn't want to try it anymore!!! Let's just say that I soon as I felt better I dragged his behind over and we did do the coaster. He loved it, and so did I.

13. What is your favorite place to eat in the MK?

Haven't really tried any yet, but loved the fudge on Main Street.

EPCOT

14. What is your favorite attraction in Epcot?

Spaceship Earth. I love how relaxing this ride is to me. I especially enjoy the part where you see the Earth and all the stars. So serene. And of course, the video at the end with your face on it is hilarious.

15. What is your least favorite attraction in Epcot?

Honey I shrunk the audience 3D movie. Glad it's gone.

16. Tell me a random memory you have involving Epcot.

Fiance and I tricked his daughter to try Beverly. We were ready to take both pictures and a video. So funny!! She still can't believe we would trick a kid...

17. What is your favorite place to eat in Epcot?

Tutto Italia. I love Italian food.

18. What is your favorite country in the World Showcase?

Though to choose between Mexico and Japan.

HOLLYWOOD STUDIOS

19. What is your favorite attraction in HS?

Toy Story Mania, of course! I love video games.

20. What is your least favorite attraction in HS?

Great Movie Ride. B. o. r. i. n. g. Almost feel asleep on it. Only ride in all of Disney that we regretted doing on our last trip.

21. Tell me a random memory you have involving HS.

People doing the wave over and over again while waiting for Fantasmic! to begin.

22. What is your favorite place to eat in HS?

Backlot Express had amazing cheesecake for dessert.

22a. What is your least favorite place to eat in HS?

Unfortunately, Backlot Express also had the SALTIEST fries I have ever tasted. I usually love salt, but this was disgusting.

23. Do you watch the Citizens of Hollywood?

No clue what this is...

ANIMAL KINGDOM

24. What is your favorite attraction in the AK?

Festival of the Lion King. AMAZING! Great songs and lots of action from beginning to end.

25. What is your least favorite attraction in the AK?

The only one I have no intention to try is Triceteratop Spin.

26. Tell me a random memory you have involving the AK.

I loved getting soaked on Kali River Rapids.

27. What is your favorite place to eat in the AK?

Flame tree BBQ was great, though according to Riglee's report, I didn't try the right dessert. Next time I really have to taste that Key Lime Pie.

OTHER DISNEY PLACES

28. Which water parks have you been to and which one was your favorite?

I have been to both Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach. They both have something better than the other, but if I really had to choose I would go with Typhoon Lagoon. Very hard to beat that *out of this world* wave pool, and those watercoaster.

29. What was your favorite part about that water park?

Read above.

30. Have you been to Disney Quest?

Yes. All three of us (me, fiance and his daughter) enjoyed it, but then again we are all video game lovers.

31. What was your favorite thing about Disney Quest?

I especially loved skipping ropes. Oh, and that finger maze thingy. I was obsessed with it, and even had a CM give me some advice and checking up on my progress once in a while.

32. Have you been to the Wide World of Sports?

No.

33. What was your favorite thing about the Wide World of Sports?

N/A

EXTINCT DISNEY

34. What are some of your favorite attractions that are no longer around?

The 20,000 leagues under the sea submarine ride at MK.

35. Have you ever been to Discovery Island when it was still running?

No.

36. Have you ever been to River Country when it was still running?

No.

37. What was your favorite part about the now shut down Pleasure Island?

I've never been there, but now that I'm going to Disney for my honeymoon DH and I are quite disappointed by the lack of place to hang out at night.

38. What is your favorite extinct show/parade?

I don't know.

RANDOMS

39. What is one thing you MUST do every time you go to Disney?

Have only gone once at an age old enough to remember (well, besides that one day 20 years ago), so I don't have must-dos yet.

40. What is one thing you MUST eat every time you go to Disney?

There isn't one thing I have to eat, but there are lots I have to try for next time.

41. What is something you haven't done yet that you look forward to doing?

The safari, and Tower of Terror!!

42. What is something you have done and have no interest in doing again?

As mentioned in the HS section, I never want to do the Great Movie Ride again, unless they seriously update it with newer movies. I just am not a "classics" kinda girl.

43. Who is your favorite Disney female?

Tinkerbell

44. Who is your favorite Disney male?

Stitch. Can you tell I like mischievous characters?

45. Who is your favorite Disney villain?

Can't think of one right now.

46. Your earliest Disney Park Memory::
Riding "It's a Small World"

47. What other Disney Parks have you been to outside of Disney World?
None, but would love to visit them all!

48. Have you ever had to explain your love for Disney to someone who just didn't "get" it?

Yes, several times.

49. Blasphemous I know, but where is your favorite place to travel outside of Disney?

Anywhere hot with a beach and the ocean. So far Cuba has been the only Caribbean country I've had the chance to visit, and I love it.

50. Which Disney character reminds you of you?

None, actually.

Last edited by ronnmel; 12-25-2010 at 12:18 PM.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:20 AM   #64
jelloarms
DIS Veteran

Thanks for doing my survey! Wasn't it a fun way to get you 15 minutes closer to Disney?

I too am glad the Honey I Shrunk the audience is gone. It was definetley very dated. Although I do have to admit, Captain Eo is even more dated but hey, I haven't seen it since 1995 so it will kind of be like new sort of!
jelloarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:24 PM   #65
ronnmel
DIS Veteran

Yes, I enjoyed doing the survey and thinking about things I like about Disney. Thanks for sharing the survey with us!

I have never seen Captain EO, so it will be new to me. Though I'd be ok skipping it as I've never been a big fan of MJ. Fiance wants to see it though, because he wants to see "all 3D movies in all 4 parks".

Some Disney related news. For Christmas my fiance gave me the most magical gift! A share of Disney! It's in a frame, with a note that says (with the Disney font, no less!):
Quote:
Here is a piece of the happiest place on earth, presented to the woman who made me the happiest man on earth. Love you lots.

I love it!!!

Since we are on the subject of Christmas, here's a couple of pics of us being silly with the ladybug hat he got me. (We give each other stockings full of knick-knacks from the dollar store).

No need to give any gifts to my cats, they have fun with all the empty boxes from our gifts!

Last edited by ronnmel; 12-28-2010 at 09:47 PM.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:24 PM   #66
ronnmel
DIS Veteran

Now, some wedding news!

A couple of months ago we went shopping for our wedding bands. Finally some we both like at a jewelry store recommended to us by some friends. The one band I tried though had a princess cut diamond while the one on my engagement ring is round, so he suggested a slightly different model from the catalog that they didn't have in stock at the moment. I agreed.

Fast forward a couple of weeks. We go to pick it up and I notice that there is no diamond! The lady says "he never wrote anything about a diamond on the slip". Hum, he showed me that model specifically because it was the right type of diamond, why would I want no diamond? I insisted, and she said "no problem, just come back later this week".

5 days later I go pick it up. It has a diamond, so I pay for it and bring it home (they didn't charge any extra). But as I try it again at home, it just doesn't feel right. The diamond seems so small, and the band is so big on my tiny fingers. Now I'm crying because I feel like I just wasted several hundreds of dollars on a ring I don't like! The next day I call the place, and they say to come back, they will see what they can do.

So I go back. I explain how I feel. We look at the model in the catalog, and compare it to the different model I tried on. I agree that there was no way to make the diamond bigger as it just doesn't fit the same way on the ring. However, when they measure the thickness of my band, it's thicker than fiance's band! It doesn't make sense, as obviously he has bigger fingers than me. The guy says he can make the band 0.5mm thinner. Even though they'll actually have to make me a whole new ring, there won't be any extra charge. yay

So here they finally are, our wedding bands. I like it much better now that it's smaller.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:34 AM   #67
Shaniyah
Mouseketeer

I am joining late but am all caught up on your PTR/TR/wedding report!! Can't wait to read more!

[/URL] Tink's first trip to the mainland May 2011 TR Tink's first trip to the main land PTR

(me) (bf) dd(7)
Disney Trips: 1996 Music/ 1997 Sports/ 1998 Sports/
May 2011 CSR FEB 2012 AS Sports July 2013 AAU primary track and field competition
Shaniyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:02 AM   #68
DsnyMama
DIS Veteran

How awesome!! We honeymooned at WDW too!!

Up Next: October2014
Feb 2014 TR - click HERE
DsnyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:20 AM   #69
NikkiLovesWDW!
"Are you seeing an increase in lateral forces?" "Sure am!"

Beautiful rings Mel! Glad you were able to get it all worked out and get what you wanted!! Hope you guys had a Merry Christmas!
NikkiLovesWDW! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:22 AM   #70
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

What beautiful rings! I hate that you had to go through so much to get what you wanted but they are so pretty!

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

mickeystoontown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 01:26 PM   #71
ronnmel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaniyah View Post
I am joining late but am all caught up on your PTR/TR/wedding report!! Can't wait to read more!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DsnyMama View Post
How awesome!! We honeymooned at WDW too!!
Welcome Shaniyah and DsnyMama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikkiLovesWDW! View Post
Beautiful rings Mel! Glad you were able to get it all worked out and get what you wanted!! Hope you guys had a Merry Christmas!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
What beautiful rings! I hate that you had to go through so much to get what you wanted but they are so pretty!
Thanks Nikki and Lisa! Yes, we did have a wonderful Christmas. We got so spoiled this year! My mom bought us a Wii!!

Hope you guys all had a great Christmas too.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:26 PM   #72
ronnmel
DIS Veteran

I just realized that I never did this thing for Magic Kingdom.

We want to spend two days in Magic Kingdom, including possibly one evening EMH. Last time we didn't do much of Tomorrowland or Fantasyland, so our first day there we want to focus on those two lands. We'll probably get FP for Space Mountain first (and possibly ride it as well), then head straight to Fantasyland. There we will do as many rides as possible (and collect more FPs too), then we'll head back to Tomorrowland. No clue how long all of this will take, so don't know what we'll do after.

The second day we'll head straight to Frontierland to ride/get FPs for Splash and Big Thunder Mountains. We'll hang around there (and Adventureland, and Liberty Square) until we've done everything we want to do. What is for sure is that at least one of those two days we will watch the night time parade and watch Wishes. Speaking of which, I'm not sure if I want the chance to see the Main Street Electrical Parade, or hope for Spectromagic to be back as we loved it so much last time.

Things HAVE to do in Magic Kingdom:
Splash Moutain - At least twice.
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad - Many many times!!
Haunted Mansion
Pirates of the Caribbean
Jungle Cruise

Things we would like to try again:
Buzz Lightyear – It was ok, but we much preferred TSM, or even the one we tried at Niagara Falls last summer. We just felt like we had no idea where we were aiming, and if we had hit the target.
Tom Sawyer’s Island – It was fun last time, but mostly for DD. The only reason we might go back there is to check if our name is still written on the wooden door, and to add our new dates.

Things we want to try for the first time: So many new rides to try at Magic Kingdom!
Space Mountain – It was being refurbished last time, so that is our first destination when we hit the park!!!
Phillarmagic – We missed it last time because we were seated very late for our dinner at Crystal Palace, and we decided to watch Spectromagic. It’s a must this time, as I’ve heard it’s the best of all the 3D movies.
It’s a Small World - I know it's cheesy, but I don’t care. This ride holds memories from my very first trip years and years ago (which is why I say try for the first time, as an adult).
Tomorrowland Transit Authority/People Mover – To relax and enjoy the view.
Peter Pan’s Flight
Snow White’s Scary Adventure – Maybe...
Winnie the Pooh
Carrousel of Progress

I feel like I’m forgetting something, but can’t figure out what.

We *might* try the Swiss Family Tree House, but only out of curiosity if we are running out of things to do, or lines are too long at other rides.

I know Stitch’s Great Escape gets LOTS of bad reviews, but I’m a Stitch fan so maybe I’ll give in to temptation and try it. I’ll go with very low expectations though.

It’s very silly, but part of me wants to try Aladdin’s Carpet Ride, or Astro Orbiter. Just because.

We have no interest in : Dumbo, the Carrousel, the Teacups, the Laugh Floor, the Speedway, Hall of President.

Any other suggestions? Things we shouldn't miss?

Old 01-02-2011, 04:08 PM   #73
ronnmel
DIS Veteran

Mega Waves, Date Night, and FastPass Baby!

Day 6 continued - Typhoon Lagoon

We left Epcot after eating lunch and headed to Typhoon Lagoon by taking a bus at the Beach Club.

View of the wave pool from close to the entrance:

There we rented a locker and some towels, then staked out some chairs in front of the wave pool (more towards the left if you are facing it).

*Disclaimer* I don't have many pictures of Typhoon Lagoon, so i borrowed pictures from WDWinfo.com

First we slide down Keehaul Falls, then try Mayday Falls. I wanted to try the third one, but the line was a bit long and DH didn't feel like it.

We walked through the Forgotten Grotto (a little cave/tunnel that goes under the "mountain" along the lazy river) and tried the speed slide Humonga Kowabunga. I liked it.

We slide down one of the Storm slides.

Then we tried the water coaster, Crush'n'Gusher. We got in line for Coconut Crusher, but the person right before us got stuck on it so they let us go to a different one, Banana Buster. It was fun!

Now it was time for what I had been anticipating, the surf/wave pool! The waves are 6 feet tall and it's FREAKING AMAZING!!!!!! I'm a big fan of waves and wave pools in general, but this was the best BY FAR!!!!!!!!! Whether you go in the deep end and try to "ride" the wave, or stay in the shallow part and get crushed by it, it's a whole lot of fun.

With our MYW package came a voucher for a free photopass picture, so we chose to get one from here. You can see the wave coming in the back, getting closer, and finally hitting us! We had water to our knees, but the wave hit us halfway up our backs.

After that we went back to the water coaster to try the other two slides, Coconut Crusher (for real this time) and Pineapple Plunger.
We got a yummy frozen lemonade to cool down a little, and then went around the park relaxing in the lazy river, Castaway Creek.

We took a quick look at the Shark Reef, but didn't try it. Not sure I'd enjoy the very cold water...

We went back to the wave pool, just because I like it that much. I have way more endurance than DH in the water. He kept "sinking" to the bottom because he couldn't swim in place and keep himself up.

Overall, the slides at Typhoon Lagoon are quite tame (except for Humonga Kowabunga), but the water coaster and wave pool more than make up for it. It is my favorite water park out of the two!

After a long and filled afternoon, we left the park around 5:30pm and came back to our resort. We showered, took a quick nap and got ready for our "date night" at Narcoossee's.

Last edited by ronnmel; 01-30-2011 at 05:19 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:38 PM   #74
ronnmel
DIS Veteran

Mega Waves, Date Night, and FastPass Baby!

Day 6 continued - Lightning lighting up the sky

We left our resort around 7:45pm and took a bus to the Magic Kingdom, and then a boat to the Grand Florian Resort.

As we reach Magic Kingdom, shortly after 8pm, a lightning show starts. And what a show it was.

There was no rain, and barely any thunder, yet the sky was lit up with numerous lightning in multiple places. There was about one lightning every 10 seconds. It was a mix of lightning bolt between clouds, and flashes that lit up the clouds from behind. It lasted a good hour and a half, almost until Wishes at 10pm!

It was awe inspiring. You have to understand, I love lightning. Growing up I remember waking up in the middle of the night due to thunder, only to find my dad sitting in front of the kitchen window watching the lightning. he passed on this love to me. I just find lightning to be the most beautiful thing.

I wasn't able to take a picture of the lightning, but you can see it a bit in some of my pictures below (and the two above). It was nighttime, yet the sky looks very blue. I tried taking a video, but it didn't turn out very good.

We entered Narcoossee's around 8:45pm and were seated almost immediately.

We ordered wine, as we wanted to celebrate meeting a year ago. I look almost 10 years younger than I actually am, so of course the waitress asked for my ID. Unfortunately, after I changed into my dress I left everything at the room. She wouldn't let us order any. I know she was just doing her job, and it was my fault for not thinking about bringing my IDs, but it made me very sad. The worse part is, the next day at Tutto Italia the server offered us wine without us even asking or me having to show an ID. I think just having DD with us he automatically thought I must be an adult, while the waitress must have thought I was a teenager (even though DH showed her his ID saying he was 34).

Despite this bad start to our meal, the rest of the night went fine. The food was delicious! I ordered Filet Mignon and DH had Surf and Turf. I'm not a big steak fan, yet ate it all. It was that yummy!

Some not-so-flattering pictures of me eating (you can see my red eyes, partly from spending the day at a water park, and partly from crying when we were denied wine. I know it was not a big deal, I think it was just the exhaustion accumulated after a full week at Disney that made it seem worse than it was).

Our empty plates.

For dessert I had key lime creme brulé and I think DH got some sorbet.

Continued in next post
Old 01-02-2011, 04:39 PM   #75
ronnmel
DIS Veteran

We were given great window seat, where we were able to witness the lightning show, the Electrical Water Pageant, and Wishes. They dimmed the light and pumped up the music.

We really took our time to enjoy our meal, and towards the end our waitress kept disappearing for long periods of time (when we wanted the dessert, and then the bill), so it was close to 11:30pm when we finally made our way back to the resort (took the monorail back to MK to catch a bus). DH's dad had fallen asleep waiting for us. Not DD though, she was still awake (though we learned later from looking at pictures that she feel asleep on a park bench in the MK earlier that day. ) DH's parents left, and we all went to bed.

We had to be up early the next day for our last full day in the parks.

Last edited by ronnmel; 09-05-2011 at 10:09 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: