Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2010, 11:06 AM   #16
ronnmel
DIS Veteran

I'm so nervous/excited!! I start working at my new school tomorrow. I finally got a permanent job, so today I will be seeing my new home for the next few years when I go bring my gazillion boxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikkiLovesWDW! View Post
Hey Mel! Still here!

Plans for DHS and AK look great!

I'm so glad you decided to post about your last trip! And I can't wait to hear more about your wedding plans, too!
Thanks! I'll post about my wedding soon. I won't be posting updates as often though now that summer vacation is over. Have you started teaching yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkedupmomma View Post
Here, but not. I have a terrible migraine/sinus mash up. I'll sub and be back!
Hope you feel better soon!
Thanks for coming here to check it out.
ronnmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:14 AM   #17
NikkiLovesWDW!
"Are you seeing an increase in lateral forces?" "Sure am!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnmel View Post
I'm so nervous/excited!! I start working at my new school tomorrow. I finally got a permanent job, so today I will be seeing my new home for the next few years when I go bring my gazillion boxes.

Thanks! I'll post about my wedding soon. I won't be posting updates as often though now that summer vacation is over. Have you started teaching yet?
I know! I'm trying to get my TR done before school starts!

We have 2 professional development days on the 1st and 2nd, then off Fri and Mon for Labor Day, then first day with the kids is the Tuesday, the 7th. Then we have off the 9th and 10th for Rosh Hashannah! Easing back in.....

Congrats on the permanent job! I hope it works out wonderfully for you! When do you start?
NikkiLovesWDW! is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-24-2010, 09:00 PM   #18
ronnmel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I know! I'm trying to get my TR done before school starts!

We have 2 professional development days on the 1st and 2nd, then off Fri and Mon for Labor Day, then first day with the kids is the Tuesday, the 7th. Then we have off the 9th and 10th for Rosh Hashannah! Easing back in.....

Congrats on the permanent job! I hope it works out wonderfully for you! When do you start?
Thanks!

Wow, that truly is "easing back in"!! Starting tomorrow, I have 4 ped days (which include staff meetings, workshop, and just organizing my classroom), then next Tuesday the students start. We only have the Monday off for labor day, but that's it.

Ok then, some wedding planning info.

We both have been married before, so we didn't really want the "big wedding" again. I've always dreamed of getting married on the beach, so now is my chance! We knew going in that not too many people would be able to join us, but we were ok with that. So far we have 20 people booked, which is awesome!! His family/friends are so welcoming to me and so much fun, this week is going to be crazy! Just the way I like it.

We are getting married at the Iberostar Laguna Azul, in Varadero, Cuba.

Here is part of our invitation, which were made by Ron's amazingly talented cousin.

This was our RSVP card, which we made ourselves using vistaprint.

I bought my dress over a year early, when I went shopping with my mom last winter. My plan was to just look at what was available, and come back with my bridesmaid another day. I was thinking of getting a bridesmaid dress in white, partly because it looks more casual (for a beach wedding) and aprtly because it's cheaper. However, every dress I tried on that had the beachy look I had in mind made me look pregnant. At the last store we went to that day, the sales lady pulled a few real wedding dresses, including one that didn't look all that good on the hanger. Well, just like all those "Say yes to the dress" show, she knew better than me what looked good on me and I fell in love with it! She actually made me try it on first, before the ones I picked, and I kept comparing them to the first one. She was a bit pushy, but I really did love the dress so I bought it and I don't regret my choice. I'd post a pick here, but Ron checks the Disboard, including this PTR, so I can't. PM me if you really want to see it.

Last for today, these are my wedding shoes. Yes, I will be wearing flip flops.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:15 PM   #19
NikkiLovesWDW!

I want to see it the dress!!

Oh, I wore flip flops for my wedding too...and I was married in a church!
Old 09-02-2010, 09:09 PM   #20
ronnmel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I want to see it the dress!!

Oh, I wore flip flops for my wedding too...and I was married in a church!
Somehow, after reading your trip reports and watching your videos, this doesn't surprise me.

I don't have time for an update as I've been swamped with work at school, being the first week and all. Doesn't help that there is a frikking heat wave going on right now, with temperatures in the 90s and a heat index of over 100. Of course school don't have AC, so it's almost impossible to work.

Yesterday Ron and I went for a very long walk and talked Disney the whole time. For whatever reason he now is thinking of possibly upgrading to a moderate resort if we can get free dining.
So go ahead guys, sell me on POR or POFQ.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:16 PM   #21
NikkiLovesWDW!

Quote:
Somehow, after reading your trip reports and watching your videos, this doesn't surprise me.

I don't have time for an update as I've been swamped with work at school, being the first week and all. Doesn't help that there is a frikking heat wave going on right now, with temperatures in the 90s and a heat index of over 100. Of course school don't have AC, so it's almost impossible to work.

Yesterday Ron and I went for a very long walk and talked Disney the whole time. For whatever reason he now is thinking of possibly upgrading to a moderate resort if we can get free dining.
So go ahead guys, sell me on POR or POFQ.
I think in my very first post in this TR I said you would be upgrading to a moderate on this trip!! I just knew it!

Well, you just read my TR with info on POR. I've stayed there more than any other disney resort and it's so beautiful and perfect for a honeymoon!

Yeah, it's super hot here too but it's supposed to drop more than 20 degrees by the weekend. We have AC but it didn't seem to be working because it was soooo hot working in my classroom today! First day with kids next Tuesday.....
Old 09-06-2010, 12:20 PM   #22
starann
In having children, I have lost my mind, but found my soul

Joining in........I'm a sucker for a wedding..........and a trip to WDW!!!!
Cody 12-19-03 and Shane 2-23-05
Casey 5-13-11
and last..........
Our little 'Souvenir' who arrived 6 weeks early, Josephine 4-24-14

You Brought WHAT Home From WDW?!?!?!?! A Setp 2013 TR
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....0#post49731870
starann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:29 PM   #23
inkedupmomma
If you live to be a 100, I hope to live to be 100 minus 1 day. So I never have to live without you.

I LOVE your wedding sandals! where did you get them!! I am a sucker for stars! Everything looks lovely for your wedding! I can't wait to plan my own wedding some day!
inkedupmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 04:45 PM   #24
ronnmel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I think in my very first post in this TR I said you would be upgrading to a moderate on this trip!! I just knew it!

Well, you just read my TR with info on POR. I've stayed there more than any other disney resort and it's so beautiful and perfect for a honeymoon!

Yeah, it's super hot here too but it's supposed to drop more than 20 degrees by the weekend. We have AC but it didn't seem to be working because it was soooo hot working in my classroom today! First day with kids next Tuesday.....
Yes, you did say I would be upgrading. What will make it more likely is if we somehow get an extra 10 people booked for our wedding (we have 6-8 who said they would), then we get one of our trip almost free.
What can you tell me about POR? What are the differences between POR and POFQ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by starann View Post
Joining in........I'm a sucker for a wedding..........and a trip to WDW!!!!
Yay! Another reader! Welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkedupmomma View Post
I LOVE your wedding sandals! where did you get them!! I am a sucker for stars! Everything looks lovely for your wedding! I can't wait to plan my own wedding some day!
Thanks! I love them too! I got them at a store called Little Burgundy last spring, but saw them in several other stores over the summer. They are from the Ipanema (sp?) collection by Gisele Bundchen, so I'm sure you can find them online. They are available in several color.

ETA. Here is one website selling them: http://www.ipanemaflipflops.co.uk/gisele.html

I'll try to write a new update tonight. Not making any promises though, as I need to write my homework sheets for my students.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:56 PM   #25
NikkiLovesWDW!

Quote:
Yes, you did say I would be upgrading. What will make it more likely is if we somehow get an extra 10 people booked for our wedding (we have 6-8 who said they would), then we get one of our trip almost free.
What can you tell me about POR? What are the differences between POR and POFQ?
Told you! That would be great if you could get a few more people to help save you some money!

I've never stayed at POFQ but my sister is on her way there AS WE SPEAK!

I know that POFQ is much smaller than POR. The theme is similar (south-like) but there is definitely some differences in the architecture. We took the boat to DTD from POR and passed POFQ on the way and the building are very beautiful. I definitely want to try POFQ sometime soon. I don't think you could go wrong with either.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:17 PM   #26
ronnmel
DIS Veteran

Sorry! I haven't been very good at updating this PTR in the last month. In my defense though, it was the beginning of the school year and it has been crazy busy. I was also so exhausted the first few weeks! Things are finally starting to settle a bit now...

First, a bit of news for my PTR. DH and I have been spending a LOT of times talking Disney lately. Several nights we'd go to bed early and just talk Disney for an hour before going to sleep. I LOVE that I can share my Disney passion with him. One night he was looking at an Epcot map and mentioned how much he loved the Seas pavillion, how serene and peaceful it was in there. Well the next I receive an email from him. Guess what he was doing at work? Thinking about Disney, of course!

He says that we should add a third table-service restaurant to our list, Coral Reef. Though he does like fish, he says he mainly wants to go there for the atmosphere, and how cool it must be to eat looking at the giant aquarium. I agreed.

Now, some wedding news.

I got a call about two weeks ago that my dress has FINALLY arrived at the store. I went it today with my two best friends to try it on. I wanted them to see it first, as they would have been my maid of honor/bridesmaid, but can't make it to Cuba due to financial reason.

I took away the pictures I had posted in case future DH comes by this thread (and he does sometimes). If you want to see it you can PM me.

Last edited by ronnmel; 10-10-2010 at 09:58 PM.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:40 PM   #27
ronnmel
DIS Veteran

Mega Waves, Date Night, and FastPass Baby!

Day 1 - Bad buffet and nice outlets

Last time I wrote I talked about the booking of the trip. Now let's get to Florida!

As I had mentioned before, DH and DD were going to Florida with DH's parents. Because I booked my trip several months after them, I was on a different flight. The second I stepped out of the airport I could recognize the Florida smell. A little sweet, like flowers, and a little salty, from the ocean. Mmmm! I arrived there a few hours after them, so DH and his dad came back to pick me up while DD and her grandma were waiting for the time-share room to be ready. They were staying at the Hilton Grand Vacations Club. It looked so NICE and luxurious! It was like a mini condo. Granite counter tops for the kitchen part, big master bedroom with bath, separate bathroom, sleeper couch, and an enclosed balcony protected from bugs. There was a lake with fountains in the middle of the grounds, and a couple of pools.

We drove up International Drive to this buffet place called Ponderosa. The food was BAD. So bland and tasteless, and very little choice. Blah. We took pictures, but I can't find them. Not worth it anyway.

By the time we came back it was already getting late, and we had an early start the next day. We wanted to check in to CBR early enough to make it to rope drop! So we left DD with her grandparents and walked next door to the Orlando Premium Outlet. I loved the feeling of being in a mall, but with no roof. The air was warm, but not too hot. We walked around for a bit and did some window shopping. On our way back to the room we stopped by the hotel bar for a drink. Relaxing! We got our first taste of Florida rain though, so we quickly headed back and turned in for the night.

Up next, checking in to Walt Disney World.

Also, will the touring plans work at... Magical Kingdom?

Last edited by ronnmel; 01-30-2011 at 05:31 PM.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:01 PM   #28
ronnmel
DIS Veteran

Disclaimer : I have blurred the face of my step-daughter as I don't know if her mom is ok with having her picture posted here.

Mega Waves, Date Night, and FastPass Baby!

Day 2 - Our real first day at WDW - Rope drop at Magical Kingdom? -

I left you as we went to bed on our first night in Orlando, at DH's parents' time-share hotel.

We got up very early that day, quickly got ready, and had DH's parents drive us to Caribbean Beach Resort.

We are finally here!

Custom house at CBR

Check-in was fast. We did the online check in, very efficient. Though to be fair, we were so early (around 7am) that there were hardly anybody there. Of course our room was not ready, so we took the resort internal bus to Old Port Royal to eat breakfast:

Soon we were on our first real Disney bus and off to our very first park!
As we were walking to the entrance of the park, DH filmed his daughter to get her first impressions. She happily said "So here we are, going to Magical Kingdom!" Oops, is there a new park?
We really were at Animal Kingdom, here is the proof, with Ron gracefully showing us where you are supposed to take your picture:

We were there early enough and caught a glimpse of the Rope Drop show:

Soon we were on our way. Armed with the touring plans I had carefully planned and replanned all summer (), we were strolling along with everybody else. First destination, fastpasses for Expedition Everest!

Then on to our very first ride of the trip, Primeval Whirl. The wait was very minimal, as would be the case for us all day. We all had a lot of fun on this ride.

Our next destination was Dinosaur. We all thought it was amazing, even DD. She did think it was too loud at times though. No picture for this, but I do have pictures of us goofing around in the store after exiting.
Isn't Ron cute?

Or maybe drunk?

Grrr!

After that we walked over to Kali River Rapid to get another set of FP. We planned n this being the last ride of the day, as we knew we'd be getting soaked.

We walked towards Africa, taking a few Tree of Life pictures along the way:

We didn't visit Africa at all this time (a must on our Disneymoon!) and instead walked back to Discovery Island. We made a quick left and took the path that takes you behind the ToL. We saw some parrots and a very old turtle:

We also stopped a CM walking by to take one of our only family picture of the trip:

Continued in next post

Last edited by ronnmel; 01-30-2011 at 05:29 PM.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:55 PM   #29
*Meagan*
DIS Veteran

OoO love your dress!!! and I vote No necklace at all, it takes away from the dress and you.

Are you going to do a planning thread on BDW?
You can find mine on there under "Meag Tuck's planning thread" that was one of my fave parts!

OoO sooo excited for you!
Old 10-03-2010, 12:05 AM   #30
2BoysMom
Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think

I wanted to pop on and let you know that I think your dress is beautiful, and I'm glad that I got a glimpse of it before you pull it off again.

Since you are getting married in Cuba, my vote was for you to have some color around your neck. It might go nice with the tropical flavor of Cuba.

If you need colorful necklace inspiration, you can't go wrong with reading Lurky Loo's wedding PTR and TR. She is the QUEEN of Disney weddings and her gown and jewelry for her wedding were just spectacular (and she is super funny to boot).

Here is her link: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1726902

Wishing you the best!

Coronado Springs Jan. 2004, Contemporary & POFQ May 2005, POR & Disney cruise Aug. 2005, POFQ Sep. 2006, Ft. Wilderness cabin May 2007, Boardwalk-Christmas Dec 2007, POR March 2008, Ft. Wilderness cabin May 2008, Pop & Coronado Spgs - Halloween Oct. 2008, Offsite-Princess half-marathon March 2009, AsMov spontaneous 1 nighter April 2009, Disney Cruise May/June 2009, Offsite-business trip Jan 2010, Poly-Christmas 2010, Bonnet Creek May 2011, Bonnet Creek - Halloween Oct 2011, Wilderness Lodge 10 yr. Anniversary weekend Jan 2012, POR & Swan /Dolphin Oct 2012.
2BoysMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: