Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > California & the West
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2010, 01:17 PM   #1
KCmike
Never have fallen asleep on any attraction
Nothing wrong for dreaming for sure

Cannon Beach, Oregon for our 20th Anniversary

Alright we've always wanted to head up to Cannon Beach and we thought what a better time than for our 20th Anniversary. The problem is that our anniversary is in November. I expect it to be cold but how bad will it be? Will there be snow on the ground near the ocean? We are shooting for early november. We will fly into Portland and drive over. We hope to stay three nights. Can anyone recommend a hotel or bed and breakfast that is near the town and haystack rock? What other sights are there? Any insights will be helpful.

2014 Boston/Cape Cod/Martha's Vineyard
2013 Disneyland Christmas
2013 WDW, Universal, and SeaWorld with the kids and their High School Marching Band Event
2012 Back to Disneyland for a late June/Early July Vacation|2011- WDW Grand Floridian/Port Orleans Riverside |2010 - Disneyland/Monterey 20th Anniversary Day trip and 1st time to see Christmas at any park (BWPPI) 2010 - Disneyland (Grand Californian) |2009 - Disneyland/San Francisco/Monterey/ Yosemite National Park (Disneyland Hotel) |2008 - Disneyland/San Diego (Hotel Del Coronado & Hojo) |2007 - Disneyland (Fairfield Inn) |2006 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |2004 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |1996 - WDW - Dixie Landings |1993 - WDW - Offsite |1992 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee |1990 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee

Gear:Canon 60d, Canon xti, and a few lenses
KCmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:07 PM   #2
Diznotyzed
Mesmerized by the Sunday Night Glow of The Wonderful World of Color
I don't shave my legs - I use tweezers

Hi Mike,

Congrats on your 20th!

I'm not a Cannon Beach lodging expert, but I can tell you that snow is rare in western OR, and even more rare at the coast. You might encounter some going over the Coast Range from Portland, but even that is unlikely in early November. The temps in Cannon Beach will probably be upwards of 40 degrees, overcast or rainy, but it's not uncommon to hit a patch of nicer weather then. You can have a cozy and romantic late Fall trip, but you might miss out on the stunning vistas. Ecola State park is gorgeous on a clear day. Have fun whenever you decide to go!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-19-2010, 08:24 PM   #3
KCmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diznotyzed View Post
Hi Mike,

Congrats on your 20th!

I'm not a Cannon Beach lodging expert, but I can tell you that snow is rare in western OR, and even more rare at the coast. You might encounter some going over the Coast Range from Portland, but even that is unlikely in early November. The temps in Cannon Beach will probably be upwards of 40 degrees, overcast or rainy, but it's not uncommon to hit a patch of nicer weather then. You can have a cozy and romantic late Fall trip, but you might miss out on the stunning vistas. Ecola State park is gorgeous on a clear day. Have fun whenever you decide to go!
I plan on stopping by that park. I also found a small little community theater up there that will be playing "My fair Lady" when we're there. We're excited.

2013 WDW, Universal, and SeaWorld with the kids and their High School Marching Band Event
2012 Back to Disneyland for a late June/Early July Vacation|2011- WDW Grand Floridian/Port Orleans Riverside |2010 - Disneyland/Monterey 20th Anniversary Day trip and 1st time to see Christmas at any park (BWPPI) 2010 - Disneyland (Grand Californian) |2009 - Disneyland/San Francisco/Monterey/ Yosemite National Park (Disneyland Hotel) |2008 - Disneyland/San Diego (Hotel Del Coronado & Hojo) |2007 - Disneyland (Fairfield Inn) |2006 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |2004 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |1996 - WDW - Dixie Landings |1993 - WDW - Offsite |1992 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee |1990 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee

Old 08-19-2010, 10:02 PM   #4
amers
Earning My Ears

I've only been to Cannon Beach in the summer for their sandcastle building contest. My grandparents went last year for their 50th wedding anniversary and stayed at the Stephanie Inn. My grandpa planned it as a surprise and my grandma was absolutely floored :D They had a wonderful experience there and the view couldn't be better. The positive part about going when you want to go, is that it should be the off season which would probably save you a lot of money. I love going to the coast, especially this time of year... you can cuddle up to enjoy the storms. Most of the suites at the inn have fireplaces too!
amers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 05:44 PM   #5
KCmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by amers View Post
I've only been to Cannon Beach in the summer for their sandcastle building contest. My grandparents went last year for their 50th wedding anniversary and stayed at the Stephanie Inn. My grandpa planned it as a surprise and my grandma was absolutely floored :D They had a wonderful experience there and the view couldn't be better. The positive part about going when you want to go, is that it should be the off season which would probably save you a lot of money. I love going to the coast, especially this time of year... you can cuddle up to enjoy the storms. Most of the suites at the inn have fireplaces too!
I had the same thought about rates. I saw the airfare go as low as $119 one way from KC and I should have jumped on it but I didn't. This weekend I am choosing our hotel. It's off to tripadvisor to get some ideas. I hope I can make it to a 50th anniversary!

Old 08-23-2010, 11:47 PM   #6
splash5
DIS Veteran

Cool

If you want a romantic hotel - Stephanie Inn (rooms are spendy) but it is right on the beach. We've stayed at the Tolovana Inn which is a hotel (condo style) right by Haystack rock. There are also several inns there as well. You will probably get better rates as it is off season. It's a beautiful place to visit. We live about an hour away and love to go there and walk the beach. It will be fairly cold (as a previous poster stated) but storms on the coast are quite nice. If you need anymore info just ask.
splash5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:14 AM   #7
DizNee Luver
Luver of all things Disney!

Congrats on 20 years!!

I love Cannon Beach for all the artsy shops......you can spend hours just walking thru all of them. Just north of Cannon Beach is Seaside which is also a neat little town to explore!!

It's been a number of years since we stayed there, so can't really help on the lodging issues......we've stayed in both towns & had no complaints!!
Road Trip 2014HEREClub 33HEREWDW TRHEREOct PTRHERE 2013 Divas #3HERE2012 Holiday Trip HERE
WDW Dec 12 PTR~Cancelled: HERE 2011 Holiday Trip: HEREDivas, Take 2~2012: HEREDiva's TR~2011: HERE
10 of Us Summer Trip~2010: HERE 25th Anniv.TR~2009: HERE

DLR: 1967, 1972, 1984, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2011, 2012, 2012, 2013, 2013, 2014 WDW: 2013

DizNee Luver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:28 AM   #8
kramer222
Mouseketeer

The Oregon Coast is truly unlike the majority of coastline in the United States. Yes, it will be rainy in Cannon Beach in November. No, it won't be snowing at the beach, but it might in the mountain passes if you are coming from Portland. Road crews do a pretty good job of keeping Hwy 26 clear, but it is something to look for. Maybe rent a 4WD if you are renting a car.

That being said, some people come from many miles away to witness the Oregon Coast in the fall/winter because of the storms that can happen. Enjoy it. Leave the shorts and home, cuddle up, listen to the rain, and you'll have the time of your life.
kramer222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:52 PM   #9
LuvindisCruiser
DIS Veteran

Was there last year the beginning of November.
It was a bit cold and windy, but we bundled up and still enjoyed the coast.

It have been there the day after Thanksgiving and the weather was awesome ! We didn't even need our jackets.

So, you never know.

Make sure to eat at Moe's restaurant at Cannon beach.
I crave their Clam Chowder.
You can sit outside and watch the waves roll in.

The town of Cannon Beach is great to walk around and shop.

Have a great Anniversary !

(DH) (ME, can't stay off DIS) (DD13) (DS13)Pixie
Our 10yr. old twins take on the World for Spring Break-2010
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2424485
LuvindisCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: