Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2010, 08:27 PM   #1
TinkandGoofy'sMom
DIS Veteran

DVC rental

I know you can rent points from DVC members for accomodations at DVC resorts for studios etc., but is it also possible to rent points and use them for a regular room at a deluxe or moderate resort?
Also, if you rent points and then a free dining promotion becomes available, are you eligible?

Thanks!

Aug 2008 POP
Dec 2009 POFQ
Jan 2011 POP
Oct 2011 AKV-Kidani
Jan 2012 OKW
Aug 2012 BWV & AKV
Oct 2012 sisters only at AKV-Kidani
Jan 2013 AKV-Jambo
Aug 2013 AKV & BLT
Up Next: Aulani Summer 2014
DVC owner @ AKV and SSR
TinkandGoofy'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:42 PM   #2
hollypoast
"Perfect is the enemy of the good.... simply starting plays a bigger role in your success than any other factor."

Yes, you can use DVC points to reserve rooms at Wilderness Resort & Campground, Grand Floridian, Polynesian, yacht Club, Caribbean Beach Resort, Coronado Springs, Port Orleans and Fort Wilderness. The points required, I think, are high in comparison to what you get if you are staying at a DVC property.

For example, it takes 45 points to get one night in a garden view room at the Grand Floridian however you can get a studio with Magic Kingdom view at Bay Lake Tower. (value season-Sunday through Thursday) Both rooms sleep 4 but the BLT studio I think is a better room all things considered.

Not sure about the dining plan question. If you can the member would likely have to reserve it for you.

Good luck working out your accomodations.
Register to remove

Old 08-13-2010, 08:48 PM   #3
jlewisinsyr
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkandGoofy'sMom View Post
I know you can rent points from DVC members for accomodations at DVC resorts for studios etc., but is it also possible to rent points and use them for a regular room at a deluxe or moderate resort?
Also, if you rent points and then a free dining promotion becomes available, are you eligible?

Thanks!
As the previous poster mentioned, you can rent points for a stay at any of the Deluxe or Moderate resorts that do not also have a DVC attached (Contemporary, Animal Kingdom, etc.). The points to stay at these resorts is very high, basically it works out to be the actual nightly room cost if you multiply the points by the average rental price ($10 - $13 per point).

In terms of Free Dining, that is a discount offered for guests who choose to make their reservations with Disney Cash Reservations and pay full rack rate for the room. Free Dining is nothing more then a discount, and like all discounts, it cannot be combined with any other discount. So, simple answer, no you cannot get free dining on a DVC stay (either rented points or if you own a DVC interest).

Last edited by jlewisinsyr; 08-13-2010 at 08:58 PM.
jlewisinsyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:49 PM   #4
missenmickey
I'm just a Raggedy Ann in a Barbie Doll world!

You are not eligible for free dining. You can pay oop for the dining plan. The member you are renting from needs to let DVC reservations know for you. You actually pay for it when you check in. We are renting points to stay at a BLT the end of August. Although it is during free dining - we will pay for the dining plan. Although you are paying oop for dining - you are offsetting the cost by paying less for your room. Rack rate for a bay lake studio is wayyyyyy more expensive than what we are paying.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:49 PM   #5
aimay73
Mouseketeer

Yes, you can use points at resorts other than the villas, but it's a bad use of points as it costs more points to rent at resorts other than the villas.

You are not eligible for free dining when using points as you have to purchase a package (i.e. pay for a package) to get free dining.
aimay73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:21 PM   #6
vicki_c
DIS Veteran

In addition to the fact that the points costs are high at non-DVC resorts, there is also a $95 fee assessed. It's a very poor use of points, even for DVC members. Mostly you see DVC members doing that when they have tons of extra points that are going to expire.
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
vicki_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:28 PM   #7
dzorn
DIS Addict

It would normally just be cheaper to book the other resorts on cash.

Denise in MI
Off Site, SSR 2014 (with the Marching Band), ASMu,AKV, BLT Aug/Sept 2012, AKV April 2012, BCV/AKV November 2011, BB April 2011, CBR,BCV,BWV Aug/Sept 2010, ASMu,VWL Nov 2009, CSR September 2009, AKV August 2009, CSR April 09 ,AKV/VWL/OKW Feb 09, TL April 08, DCL January 08, POR August 2007, POR May 2006, ASMo May 2005

dzorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 09:55 AM   #8
TinkandGoofy'sMom
DIS Veteran

Thanks everyone for the info. Our next trip will not likely be until Dec 2011. I am torn between renting points for a DVC stay (likely AKL) and paying separately for the dining plan and tickets, or just staying at POP or CSR and hoping for free dining. We will all be paying adult prices next trip, so the free dining would save a lot. Maybe we'll do a split stay and just stay a couple of nights at AKL for a treat. We really only sleep and shower in the room. Also, I am thinking that I would rather stay for longer (maybe 10 days this time) rather than paying more for accomodations and staying for a shorter time.
Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Aug 2008 POP
Dec 2009 POFQ
Jan 2011 POP
Oct 2011 AKV-Kidani
Jan 2012 OKW
Aug 2012 BWV & AKV
Oct 2012 sisters only at AKV-Kidani
Jan 2013 AKV-Jambo
Aug 2013 AKV & BLT
Up Next: Aulani Summer 2014