Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2013, 11:34 AM   #1
bertoldo1269
Earning My Ears

Grandparent surprise/Poly

Not sure where it would be best to post this but I need some of your great ideas!!

Long story short - we found out this week that my Dad has incurable cancer and has a limited number of years to live. That being said, we have talked them into coming during part of our trip and they will be staying at the Poly with us. Our kiddos adore their grandpa and have no idea he will be coming.....they are going to be ecstatic when they show up! We will already be at the Poly before they arrive and would like to come up with a special way to surprise the kids when they show up. Anyone have any good ideas other than them just showing up?
bertoldo1269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:55 AM   #2
1mama2three
Mouseketeer

I'm so sorry to hear about your dad, and I think it is great that you're planning this surprise for your family. I'm sure you'll make some great memories!

I am no Poly expert, but here are some ideas that came to mind:
*You could arrange to have a meal somewhere (get ADRs)...my favorite is O'hana, but the Luau would be neat too. Then you could talk the to people checking you in and see if they could have grandma and grandpa seated when they took the rest of you to your table.
*Take the kids for a walk on the beach, and have grandma and grandpa sitting on the furthest one down the beach...see how long it takes the kids to notice.
*If there is still the "wishing" area in the lobby where we used to throw pennies in as kids, you could have them close their eyes, make a wish and throw their penny in, and then have grandma and grandpa waiting somewhere near. Although this might be tricky because you'd have to kind of steer your kids' wish so that it would include grandma/grandpa.

Those are some of the ideas that came to mind. Good luck with your planning!
Sept/Oct 2004...our honeymoon @ POP!, Disneyland off-site: July 2005, POP: Jan/Feb 2010, POP: Jan/Feb 2011, WBC/POP: May/June 2012WBC/CR GW: Jan. 2013, AKV/BLT: Jan. 2014, POR: July 2014, VGF/Old Key West: Nov/Dec 2014
1mama2three is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-02-2013, 06:07 PM   #3
bertoldo1269
Earning My Ears

Thank you for the ideas!!
Old 05-02-2013, 09:00 PM   #4
Mewissy
Mouseketeer

What time will they be arriving? It would neat to have them arrive on the beach during Wishes.
Mewissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:07 PM   #5
Sandi
A proud Spartans fan!

Not exactly the same, but one year my dad was sitting in the lobby of our resort when we arrived to check in. The surprised look on my DD's face was priceless. She ran up to him for a giant hug. The were both in heaven. Sometimes the simplest plan is the best.

Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:22 PM   #6
Marsheliz
DIS Veteran

First off, I'm so sorry about your dad and I know what you are going through.... My mom was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer last January... This past September- we took her with us to Disney.... She died 3 weeks ago on the 10th... I have the most precious pictures of her with my children and I have never regretted that trip... hugs!!!!
Anyways- I think just something simple will do. My dad was sitting on a bench at PoFQ and my oldest was so happy to see him!

No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep believing.. The dreams that you dream... Really do come true....

April 2005- Offsite.. My now DH's first time
December 2005- Offsite ( ENGAGED at MK)
December 2007- Offsite ( Pregnant with Lawson)
February 2011-All Star Sport ( Pregnant with Landen)
September 2012- 1 night @ POFQ
September 2012- 3 nights @ AOA
October 2013- Caribbean Beach Resort
June 2014- Weekend Surprise at Port Orleans Riverside!

October 2013 TR- http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3207813
June 2014 TR http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3293489
Marsheliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:42 AM   #7
bertoldo1269
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsheliz View Post
First off, I'm so sorry about your dad and I know what you are going through.... My mom was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer last January... This past September- we took her with us to Disney.... She died 3 weeks ago on the 10th... I have the most precious pictures of her with my children and I have never regretted that trip... hugs!!!!
Anyways- I think just something simple will do. My dad was sitting on a bench at PoFQ and my oldest was so happy to see him!
Sorry to hear about your father!

It's amazing how fast life can change. My dad is only 55 and none of us saw this coming. This Disney trip is going to be more magical than ever!
Old 05-03-2013, 11:17 AM   #8
Marsheliz
DIS Veteran

It as actually my mom who had the cancer, not dad.. LOL

Daddy just came down and met us there to help with kids and pushing my mom around.. You will never regret doing this and I cant wait to hear about it. Just enjoy what time you have... That is the only comfort I have, I know we made lots of memories and they make me smile when I think about them.

No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep believing.. The dreams that you dream... Really do come true....

April 2005- Offsite.. My now DH's first time
December 2005- Offsite ( ENGAGED at MK)
December 2007- Offsite ( Pregnant with Lawson)
February 2011-All Star Sport ( Pregnant with Landen)
September 2012- 1 night @ POFQ
September 2012- 3 nights @ AOA
October 2013- Caribbean Beach Resort
June 2014- Weekend Surprise at Port Orleans Riverside!

October 2013 TR- http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3207813
June 2014 TR http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3293489
Marsheliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:25 PM   #9
bertoldo1269
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsheliz View Post
It as actually my mom who had the cancer, not dad.. LOL

Daddy just came down and met us there to help with kids and pushing my mom around.. You will never regret doing this and I cant wait to hear about it. Just enjoy what time you have... That is the only comfort I have, I know we made lots of memories and they make me smile when I think about them.
I apologize!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the great advice

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: