Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2010, 04:14 PM   #1
kdm0516
Mouseketeer

goodings, hess or at the resort??

Sorry I wasn't sure where to post this question.
We are staying at Saratoga Springs in October. Wondering what would be the best place to get soda, bottled water, bread, penut butter and maybe some other snacks. Not sure if it would be best to get it at the resort, go to Hess or Goodings? And if it is Hess or Goodings should I just walk (directions) or get a taxi?
Thanks
kdm0516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 04:18 PM   #2
Dan Murphy
We are family.

I would suggest cab to Goodings, good selection.

Why she runs.....

Random acts of kindness, no matter how small, are never really lost. They live forever in the hearts of those who are fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of them----Lady M
dmurphydis@sbcglobal.net
April 26-May 3, see you there?

Dan Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-11-2010, 04:22 PM   #3
Chellymouse
Dis Veteran

I would use gardengrocer.com. They deliver, have a great selection and cost much less!

[/IMG]
Chellymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 04:30 PM   #4
jagafen
Robo needs his own Bat-Light

If I remember correctly, Goodings was one of the more expensive grocery stores...I agree with the PP, order from Garden Grocer. IT's worth the $14 delivery fee to not have to spend that time shopping!!

Previous Trips: 1989 Contemporary, 2008 AKL, 2008 2fer ASMo, 2010 Da Return to AKL
Our family:
Me, the planner
Hubby, the goer and doer
Our son, the reason we do it all
jagafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 04:40 PM   #5
thepowellslovedisney
I see hidden Mickey's in my sleep... ZZzz

Where does Garden Grocer deliver to? Do they come directly to your room or do they drop off at the main reception area? I would expect that you want to be present when they deliver so you can refrigerate items like milk right away.

Jan 2011 Boardwalk, Aug 2010 Contemporary and Boardwalk, Jan 2010 SSR and BLT, May 2009 Poly, Nov 2008 SSR, Nov 2006 ASMu, Mar 1997 Off site, June 1987 Off site, Mar 1984 Off Site
thepowellslovedisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 04:45 PM   #6
thepowellslovedisney
I see hidden Mickey's in my sleep... ZZzz

To the OP, I'm not sure anything is within walking distance. If there is, maybe by downtown disney area so you would want to be sure your room is as close to DTD as possible such as in Congress Park.

Jan 2011 Boardwalk, Aug 2010 Contemporary and Boardwalk, Jan 2010 SSR and BLT, May 2009 Poly, Nov 2008 SSR, Nov 2006 ASMu, Mar 1997 Off site, June 1987 Off site, Mar 1984 Off Site
thepowellslovedisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 04:45 PM   #7
jagafen
Robo needs his own Bat-Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepowellslovedisney View Post
Where does Garden Grocer deliver to? Do they come directly to your room or do they drop off at the main reception area? I would expect that you want to be present when they deliver so you can refrigerate items like milk right away.
IF you're not there, bell services hold it for you. Refrigerated items are kept icy cold until you call to have them brought to your room. We've used them on every single trip, and we have never had an issue with items missing, or not being kept at the proper temperatures. They deliver to all of the Disney resorts, and I'm sure the offsite hotels. Their delivery area is detailed on their website. We stay on property, so I've never reallly paid attention to the "other stuff".

Previous Trips: 1989 Contemporary, 2008 AKL, 2008 2fer ASMo, 2010 Da Return to AKL
Our family:
Me, the planner
Hubby, the goer and doer
Our son, the reason we do it all
jagafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 04:47 PM   #8
happycamps
Mouseketeer

We use Garden Grocer and love them!!
happycamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 04:49 PM   #9
mountdew1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepowellslovedisney View Post
It depends. They will usually try to deliver to you directly, but if they cannot, they can leave it with bell services. Bell services does have a refrigerator they can use to keep stuff cold as long as they know it needs to be cold.

If you look around for some of the DVC grocery shopping lists that should help to give you a guide on the cost of what stuff would be at the resort. Since you are staying at a DVC property, they should have it all in store. Remember, you can always bring peanut butter with you, buy a refillable mug, and get water shipped. Compare to garden grocers prices online, or look at wegoshop as well. They charge you in store price, plus their delivery fee. That would mean you only need to buy bread on property. Paying a buck or two more for a loaf of bread on property in that case would be cheaper than a cab or delivery fees.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:50 PM   #10
disneyfanUSA
DIS Veteran

We walk to Hess from downtown Disney every year! Its really easy!
01 off site 02 ASports 03 asmu 04 POP 05 por 06 asmo w/ freedining 07 asmu + ssr upgade+ free dining 08 POP and freedinning 08 Dec13-17 asports+free dinning 09CBR~ASports+Free dinning 09Pop at christmas
10'ESPN the weekend Aug 10 AKL-ASMU Dec 10 POR August 11 DLR & California!
disneyfanUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 05:08 PM   #11
PIRATEGIRL007
DIS Cast Member
OMG! I am about to jump up and down!
real technical words, aren't they!

I'd use anything but Goodings we stopped in there this winter (even though our waiter at Flippers told us it was a tourist trap) and I've seen better prices in gas stations. over $4 for a standard box of pop tarts, 6 pack coke bottles $6. No thank you. We went to winn-dixie up the street but with limited transporation options if you don't need alot I'd go with Hess.
PIRATEGIRL007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 05:13 PM   #12
Alice2020
Mouseketeer

I would suggest garden grocer. You are vacation to have fun and create some magical memories- in my world groceries appearing at my door IS magic! On a serious note- garden grocer is easy to set up and when I ran out of water half-way through my vacation, I called to place a second order and they didn't charge me a delivery fee for the second order. I can't say enough good things about them!

I etsy, do you? find me at http://www.etsy.com/shop/Mamadisney

1983-1993 (my Grandmother was a CM then) Too many stays to count- all at Grandmother's house; 2008 ASMu for Daughter's B-day; 2009 POFQ for Family Reunion

Alice2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 05:37 PM   #13
DOOM1001
DIS Veteran

If you're going to take a taxi to Gooding's you'd be better off avoiding Gooding's and go to the Winn Dixie about one minute north of the Gooding's on 535,better prices than Gooding's.From the Congress Park area of SSR to the Hess is not a bad walk so that would be another option.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:43 PM   #14
RescueRanger
If you put $200 under your pillow at night, you will get a tag
I have no hots for Robinrs because I don't want the Mummy curse!

Didn't Goodings close? But the others are right. It wasn't worth going there even when it was open. I would use one of the grocery order services as mentioned by PP's.

Me DW DD(18) DD(15) DSiL

RescueRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 05:49 PM   #15
kdm0516
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountdew1 View Post
It depends. They will usually try to deliver to you directly, but if they cannot, they can leave it with bell services. Bell services does have a refrigerator they can use to keep stuff cold as long as they know it needs to be cold.

If you look around for some of the DVC grocery shopping lists that should help to give you a guide on the cost of what stuff would be at the resort. Since you are staying at a DVC property, they should have it all in store. Remember, you can always bring peanut butter with you, buy a refillable mug, and get water shipped. Compare to garden grocers prices online, or look at wegoshop as well. They charge you in store price, plus their delivery fee. That would mean you only need to buy bread on property. Paying a buck or two more for a loaf of bread on property in that case would be cheaper than a cab or delivery fees.
I was told I couldn't pack peanut butter on the airplane. Do you just ship a case of water to your hotel a couple days before you leave? I won't need much we are just having a mini fridge. But would like to have some things. Thinking normally it would cost at home $30 what I want. I did find one of those DVC grocery lists and things didn't seem that bad considering it is on vacation at Disney....
kdm0516 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: