Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2010, 01:40 PM   #1
Constant
Mouseketeer

Any tips for Castaway Cay first timers?

We are due to go on our first cruise in a couple of weeks and in all the research can't find much specific info on Castaway Cay unless I have missed something obvious! I have been reading in a number of trip reports people going to get 'their spot' or 'being stuck out back'. I don't know realistically how much time we will spend on a chair or lounger but I am hoping to take the kids off to give DW at least 1 hour peace to relax and enjoy a book, maybe by hiring bikes.

So reading between the lines the etiquette for CC is much the same as a Disney waterpark, i.e. you get there first and stake claim for a day? As opposed to a Disney resort where CMs would remove towels etc. if left unattended for some time?

Either way I am interested to hear what people do when arriving at Castaway Cay? Do you hire tubes? Fav place settle down? Do you rearrange the chairs in a particular way? Always meet Captain Jack?

Any other tips / tricks for a first timer? We are a family of 4 kids 2 and 5 so will be on the family beach.

Steve
Constant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:43 PM   #2
BealsRwe
DIS Veteran

People do seem to try to get there early to secure spots. We get off at our leisure after breakfast. We have never had a problem finding a chair or beach loungers. We just did the snorkle excursion on the island, and all we really needed was a chair to throw our stuff. We picked up after snorkling and took to lunch with us. If you have a good beach tote, carrying a bit will be easy. Don't bother taking beach towels with you. You can get towels right as you get off the ship. Towel drop offs are all over the place too, so you don't even have to carry back to the ship.

Platinum DCL
17 DCL cruises, 1 Carnival, 1 Royal Caribbean, and counting!!!
BealsRwe is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-11-2010, 02:55 PM   #3
Angie_Ohio
Mouseketeer

It is nice to get a few chairs under an umbrella to allow you to escape the sun. We have had good luck traveling down the beach a bit. We try to get two or three chairs since we have a party of 7.
We have rented rafts and tubes. We enjoy the relaxation of the island. Cookie's Barbeque is easily reached from any part of the beach. Yum! I'm hungry just thinking about the good food. There is a water play area for the kids, but a pail and shovel are great for all ages. We purchased them right at CC. You can bring them from home if you like.

Disney Magic: 2007, 2009 Eastern, 2011 Mediterranean, 2013 Mediterranean
Disney Wonder 2009
Disneyland 2008
WDW 1984 (Honeymoon) + many more
RCI Jewel of the Seas 2012
Angie_Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 02:59 PM   #4
skiingfast
Has had no bacon
Skiing fast to chocolate
But, will he succeed?

I have heard many people say it was easy to find chairs. I can't think of anyone saying it was hard.

If you plan to snorkel do that early before the water gets cloudy from people playing in it.
skiingfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 03:11 PM   #5
bettyboop42413
Mouseketeer

Is there a cost for food on Castaway Cay (not including alcohol)?

Disney Dream October 2-6, 2011Stateroom 10660
Disney FantasyOctober 3-10, 2014Stateroom 6016
bettyboop42413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 03:24 PM   #6
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettyboop42413 View Post
Is there a cost for food on Castaway Cay (not including alcohol)?
No. Just like on the ship, it's all included. You can buy smoothies in a little coconut shaped thing with straw that my kids liked. It's a souvenir cup so they enjoy using them at home too.

Ice cream cones and non-alc. drinks are unlimited.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:59 PM   #7
bettyboop42413
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruadisneyfan2 View Post
You can buy smoothies in a little coconut shaped thing with straw that my kids liked. It's a souvenir cup so they enjoy using them at home too.
Yummy!

Disney Dream October 2-6, 2011Stateroom 10660
Disney FantasyOctober 3-10, 2014Stateroom 6016
bettyboop42413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 04:08 PM   #8
lenny1105
Earning My Ears

We have always just taken our time around castaway- spending some time in the snorkling area, and some on the adult beach. We never have had issues finding chairs- but it has never been a huge priority for us- it's always worked out.

Also, it is nice that you can use your room key on the island to pay for things- so it is one less thing you have to worry about!
'97-Port Orleans Riverside, New Year's '04- Port Orleans Riverside, New Year's '05 - Carribean Beach,'07 New Year's Port Olreans Riverside, '07 Disney Wonder, '08 Disney Magic, '10 Port Orleans French Quarter, '11 Dream Maiden Voyage and back to back cruise
lenny1105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 04:17 PM   #9
cakesnjammom
DIS Veteran

CC is awesome and big. There are plenty of "spots" but the ones closer to the ship get taken pretty early. Just continue on until you find an open one. If you are looking for a hammock or a special place then I would go early or later in the afternoon some may become available. CC is a paradise all in itself...take time to take in the scenery

Food is free and good! Enjoy!!
Old 08-22-2010, 07:52 AM   #10
bellanapoli
Mouseketeer

What time do most people seem to get off the ship in Castaway Cay?
bellanapoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 07:55 AM   #11
ashman
DIS Veteran

If you have folks who like to play in the sand, bring your own toys from home MUCH cheaper! If you have your own mask and fins, you can bring and use your own as well.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:59 AM   #12
Magic3forme
Grand Slam club members

CC is my favorite place on Earth.
We tend to go further down the beach to find a spot, it is less crowded. (the closest spot from the ship fills up quicker.)

Take the tram even if you have kids to see the whole island. There is an adult only section in the back (and its own food place.)

2 years we stayed late and the beach really thins out. They brought pizza out at Cookies Bbq and we took a relaxing walk back to the ship!

I always bring mini sand buckets and shovels from the dollar store.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:10 AM   #13
tinkmom2
DIS Veteran

We are one of those that get off the ship first thing to secure our spot. We grab the two chairs and the lounger with the umbrella. But we usually give it up around 10 because that's the time Jack Sparrow is on Castaway.(You run over there wait in line and interact with Jack) We drop the kids off at Scuttles after lunch and head to Serenity Bay for a bit. Then it's back to the ship for us. My youngest is tired by this time so we take a nap while my oldest is off to her group or the arcade. I ran into one of my fellow Disers riding a bike around Castaway or you can rent a float, grab a hammock, and have a cocktail. One tip watch your food at Cookies. If you leave your table for any reason you will find little birds in your food lol! There are tons of characters on the island so bring your camera.

Private Meeting with Donald and Friends DCL http://youtu.be/UISHRa8lScM
BBB The Reveal http://youtu.be/AOjMTF9YBtk

Last edited by tinkmom2; 08-22-2010 at 08:19 AM.
tinkmom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 08:50 AM   #14
Grandma4ever
One day closer and still counting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellanapoli View Post
What time do most people seem to get off the ship in Castaway Cay?
I believe that you can begin to leave the ship around 9 to 9:30. You will have a rush at the start with all of us got to get the most folks. Then it is hust people getting off when they are ready. The crowds peak at about 11:00 to 1:00 and then they begin to thin.

• It has been said but if you move away from the ship there will be chairs available.
  • Snorkle in the morning as the sand does get mixed in the wayter and it is harder to see what you want.
  • Don't forget the sun screen and put it on often.
  • You might want to consider the Stingray Excursion. These are captive ray and they trim the stinger. You get to feed them and they get up close and personal. It is a good excrusion for 1st timers.
  • Remember you can rent floats and bikes
  • Most important just take it as it comes and try to relax and enjoy the day.

Don't try to do it al;l it can't be done and you lose more in the process.
Land & sea/ Carribean Beach / Wonder 8/03; WDW POP Century & Magic 8/04 (Eastern); Magic 10/05 (Eastern / Halloween); Magic 9/06 (Eastern); WDW 9/2/07 Port Orleans FQ & Magic 9/8/07 (Western) ; WDW 9/20/08 POP Century, Magic 9/27/2008 Alternative Western, & 10/04/2008 Western; All Star Music 7/8/09, All Star Music 12/9/09, Disneyland 5/19/10 to 5/23/10, Magic 10/23/2010 (Eastern) & Magic 10/30/2010 (Western) 9/14/12 POFQ & 9/22/12 (Eastern) Fantasy, 10-25-2014 (Western) & 11-1-2014 (Eastern) Fantasy Mouser

Grandma4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 08:51 AM   #15
Page4
Mouseketeer

The water at the family beach gets cloudy from all of the people having fun in the water. If you want to see it at its most beautiful get there a little early. I really love seeing that clear water. The other areas..adult beach and the water bike area stay crystal clear. It's awesome.
Page4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: