Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Disney Movies, Books, TV and Music
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2010, 01:17 PM   #1
Melnalala
Mouseketeer

Song of the South

Is Song of the South in the vault? I can't find it.
Melnalala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:18 PM   #2
Melnalala
Mouseketeer

Does anyone know if the ride is open again>
Melnalala is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-11-2010, 01:45 PM   #3
RooRach0906
"Oh Goody, Horray!"

I went looking and I do not see it released anywhere right now.
Splash Mountain is still themed that way.

On our weigh and bringing Tagalongs ~ Sept 2014 PTR ~
RooRach0906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:50 PM   #4
Rupert B Puppenstein
DIS Veteran

Song of the South will probably never be released because of the racial undertones that some claim are there and apparently they offend so many regardless of if that was just the history or not. It is a pity because I really did enjoy the movie. I remember watching it in class in the 80's when they used film projectors.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:42 PM   #5
NYUBwayBaby
Mouseketeer

I had a copy at one point- my grandfather recorded it on VHS and gave it to us. I just don't know how the heck he got a copy. He was obsessed with film and TV- had an entire room full of tapes and DVDs. I don't know what my parents did with all our VHS tapes, though, so I don't know if we still have it :/

A quick search reveals people selling "regionless" DVDs that have been imported. I'm not sure how much I would trust that, though.

There's also parts of it on youtube. I'm not sure if it's the whole thing.
NYUBwayBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 01:32 AM   #6
lakerfan2708
Earning My Ears

I remember watching it at my aunts house when I was little and now that I see people talking about it, it makes me want to watch it again
lakerfan2708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 06:42 AM   #7
Siddhartha
Earning My Ears

Song of the South

Great film, and Disney should definitely re-release it (un-altered)! You can still find it on ebay on VHS and Laserdisc... maybe even DVD.
Siddhartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 02:11 PM   #8
Mickey Fanatic
I am sure that it GREAT!
It will be refreshing to see something new.

DH found it somehow through Disney Parks Paris. It was even an NTSC format. It is as good as I remembered.

One Day at Disneyland October 1987 Off Site April 1997 Off Site 2000 Port Orleans Riverside October 2001 Disney Wonder & Caribbean Beach August 2003 Port Orleans Riverside December 2004 Animal Kingdom Lodge May 2006 Saratoga Springs May 2007 Old Key West June 2008 POP Century September 2009 Fort Wilderness Cabins November 2009 Saratoga Springs November 2010 Port Orleans Riverside September 2011 All Star Music November 2011 Port Orleans Riverside November 2012

Mickey Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 04:22 PM   #9
yourMaire83
SPA MARIE

I can probably get copies. I see this movie for sale every year at the Christmas Gift Show. I'll pick up a bunch of them and put them on eBay for a dollar or two more than what I pay for them. I know what it's like... I've been trying to get ahold of the movie Drop Dead Fred for years.
Old 08-21-2010, 04:53 PM   #10
MHT to MCO
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourMaire83 View Post
I can probably get copies. I see this movie for sale every year at the Christmas Gift Show. I'll pick up a bunch of them and put them on eBay for a dollar or two more than what I pay for them. I know what it's like... I've been trying to get ahold of the movie Drop Dead Fred for years.
Ahhh! My roommates in college had the VHS of Drop Dead Fred and I'd never seen it but they made me watch it. We still call eachother "Snotface" with a British accent!
Old 08-21-2010, 06:15 PM   #11
seashoreCM
All around nice guy.

All DVD's of Song of the South are bootlegs and the quality varies widely.

There are old stock and second hand original VHS tapes from the UK floating around, they're in European (PAL) format. THey will fit in but not play in US VCR's. There are also bootleg VHS tapes in US (NTSC) format.

12" laserdisks from Japan or Hong Kong (NTSC format) are originals.
Hotel scam! Someone "from the front desk" calls your room phone or knocks on the door, usually after midnight, asking for your credit card number to complete your billing or you will be kicked out. Don't give it to him. It can wait until dawn when you stop by the front desk. This includes Disney's resorts too.
seashoreCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 09:51 PM   #12
HRCCrazy
Member of the AZ Party Dogs, My Dog Name is Wrench, and I just earn my Gold Dog Bone, now I'm a true Party Dog, The AZPD run a Police Toy Drive and Memorials for fallen Police Officers in Arizona.

I was able to find a Japan import on Laserdisc, funny seeing them singing a song with the Japan subtitles, one track is in english so the only time you know it's a Japan release, is the subtitles.

Disney Dream 4day 9-11-2011, WDW Trip #17 Solo ASSP 9/25 then POP 9-26-09 to 10-4, Solo POP 9-13 to 21 & a Snake in my room, made Trip #16 one not to forget 3 Day Wonder Sept. 99 Cat.#9(2072),7 Day Magic Eastern Jan. 02 Cat #7(5632),3 Day Wonder Set. 02 Cat #7 $99.00 Cruise(5136), First Solo Cruise 7 Day Magic Western Sept. 06 Cat #9(2578)Then POR w/Brother, 17 trips to WDW so far, 14 w/Mom (miss our trips Mom), 1w/Brother, 2 solo at POP. 11 X Dixie Landings 1 @ X-mas/NewYears, 1 X WL, 1 X CR, 1 X ASMU, 1 X ASSP.
HRCCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 04:14 AM   #13
Ron from Michigan
Our first Grandchild !!!

I recieved a copy from my brother in- law for Christmas last year and it is great. I had not seen it in years so it was fun to watch it again. I would bet Walt would be rolling his eyes over all the fuss being made about this movie. They should just release this movie again and let the public decide. Afterall it's not like you can't see it if you want to.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:38 AM   #14
karly05
DIS Veteran

The animated segments of SotS are some of the flat-out funniest stuff Disney ever did. I remember back in the 80s, Disney Channel used to re-run some of the old Wonderful World of Disney shows where they would show clips from various films. There was a "Villains" one (with Hans Conried hosting as the Magic Mirror) that included the "Laughing Place" segment from SotS and it was hilarious.
2013 - POFQ - Mardi Gras in the Little Easy
2014 - POFQ - "Eat Around the World" - Yes. Yes, I did.
karly05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 08:33 PM   #15
southernbelle20
Mouseketeer

I do not recall seeing the "whole" movie as a child, but I do remember watching filmstrips of it in school. The kids and I just watched the movie on youtube, and I thought it was a beautiful movie. It just feels like a classic Disney movie. I really do not understand why this will not be re-released. If Gone with the Wind can be on DVD, why not this one?
southernbelle20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: