Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2010, 10:07 AM   #1
CustardTart

I am sooo proud, happy, relieved and impressed - it's a great day...

Watch Out Orlando, Here Come The Girls!!! Day 8.

Cast:
Me: Karen (a.k.a CustardTart) 40 something. Loves all things Disney; shopping; sipping cocktails & spending lots of $$$'s...

Her: Claire (a.k.a Pinky166) 30 something. Loves all things Disney; shopping; sipping cocktails & spending lots of $$$'s...

Saturday 12th June 2010

Day 8: Goals, Outlet Malls and Jumpin' Jellyrolls…

The day dawned bright and clear and, after our late night, we opted for a bit of a lie-in. Eventually we stirred ourselves and, as there was plenty of activity over on Bay Lake, we watched for a while, sipping tea and coffee.. I could never get bored of waking up to that view, Bliss!!!!

Today was a BIG day for us so we were in no mood to hurry but a trip to Premium Outlets was on the agenda and we were soon driving the short distance from our resort to the Mall. It promised to be another hot one and the Mall didn't seem to busy - except in the Disney Outlet where we had a lot of fun!!! We wandered around, buying sunnies... Ooooh I love my new sunnies, naughty but nice! ...and handbags and plenty of Disney merchandise, naturally!!! We stopped for lunch in the Food Court tho' I can't recall the name of the place. Me either! I know Claire had a burger and I had a chicken sandwich - which was yummy and I could really fancy one right now!!! Finally, the heat started to get to us and time was a-ticking so we beetled back to Bay Lake Tower to watch a little World Cup soccer. Oh you know what I'm talking about! The clash of the Titans AKA England v USA!!!

Over the previous weeks we had debated many times where to catch Engerland's World Cup opener and had finally plumped to watch it from the comfort of our spacious living room with a couple of flutes of Rosa Regale in hand! So that's what we did!!! A couple of flutes??? We drank 3 bottles, albeit the smaller one's but still 3 bottles!
Half-bottles, Claire - they were just half-bottles. Which was like us sharing 1.5 'normal' sized bottles of a low alcohol wine - Rosa Regale is 7%... Jeez, and you make it sound sooo bad!!!

I got quite excited by the pundits popping up on ESPN and dutifully took pics from the TV!!! Behold, a smart suited (and suddenly slimline) Steve McManaman put in an appearance…

As did Ruud Gullit…

Anyway, we settled down with our RRs and a couple of bowls of crisps to enjoy the game. Which we did… …But then we didn't. And, in true Forrest Gump style, that's all I have to say about that… Yes, No need to remind me!!!! Thank goodness we didn't go to the pub to watch it!

This was short lived......

Continued below...
Grand Floridian Resort & Spa - Christmas 1998 * Dolphin/Vero Beach - Easter 2000 * Polynesian - August 2001 * Grand Floridian Resort & Spa - August 2004 * Beach Club/DCL Wonder - May 2005 * Grand Californian Hotel - NYE 2005 * Polynesian - August 2006 * DCL Magic Western Caribbean - September 2007 * Yacht Club - October 2007 * Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa - December 2007 * Villas at Wilderness Lodge/DCL Wonder Double Dip - May 2008 * DCL Magic Mexican Riviera/Disneyland Hotel - August 2008 * Boardwalk Villas - October 2008 * Animal Kingdom Villas/Hard Rock Hotel Club - Easter 2009 * Bay Lake Tower/DCL Magic Eastern Caribbean & Tortola/Villas at Wilderness Lodge - September 2009 * Bay Lake Tower - June 2010 * DCL Magic Westbound Transatlantic - September 2010 * Old Key West - October 2010 * Sequoia Lodge/Paris - November 2010 * Boardwalk Villas/DCL Dream Inaugural Cruise - January 2011 * Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa/Villas at Wilderness Lodge - November 2011 * Boardwalk Villas - July 2012 * Animal Kingdom Villas/DCL Fantasy Western Caribbean - November 2012 * Boardwalk Villas/Bay Lake Tower - January 2014...
CustardTart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:10 AM   #2
CustardTart

Once we'd gotten over the game as best we could *sigh* thankfully it was time to get ready for our early evening ADR at…

We were looking forward to trying out this fairly new restaurant - I'd been here some time ago when it had been Spoodles and had experienced one of my worst ever meals on Disney property. So, as far as I was concerned, it had a few things to prove.

We were seated fairly speedily. (LOL is that a joke??? Do you remember the old woman who shuffled us to our seats!!!!! Killing myself laughing here!!!! DON'T leave this bit in!) I said fairly speedily and I HAD to leave that bit in!!! Anyway, we started things off with a couple of Kir Royales…

Once we'd made our food choices, we opted for a bottle of Chardonnay. We'd wanted to try one of Cat Cora's own wines from her 'Coranation' label (see what she did there..?) but they were all out of stock - which is a little poor when the menu is littered with Coranantion-specific wine flights. So we chose one called 'Baileyana' in honour of a certain lady Boxer dog… Awwww my little Bailey.
Yes indeed, thinking of her today...
Cheers!!!

There were some very interesting offerings on the menu and I don't know why I opted for the Traditional Whole Fish Pan-roasted - with Braised Greens, Greek Olives, Fennel, and Smoked Chili…

It was tasty BUT HUGE!!!! I only managed half the serving and felt super-stuffed!!!

Claire's choice was the Slow-cooked Lamb Shank served with Oven-baked Gigantes Beans and Pepper Sauce which looked lovely and a side order of Kouzzina Smashed Garlic-fried Potatoes. Mmmm mine was yummy too!

We were presented with the usual birthday cupcake. And to accompany the cupcake we were surrounded by the waiters singing "Happy Birthday"! Ohh yes, I'd forgotten that!!!

But opted for desserts too… Claire had - A Sweet Ending to Your Celebration . . . Baklava - Traditional Walnut and Cinnamon Pastry with Pistachio Gelato…

And mine - Galaktoboureko - Semolina Custard in Baked Phyllo Dough and Vanilla-Praline Gelato..

Continue Below...
Grand Floridian Resort & Spa - Christmas 1998 * Dolphin/Vero Beach - Easter 2000 * Polynesian - August 2001 * Grand Floridian Resort & Spa - August 2004 * Beach Club/DCL Wonder - May 2005 * Grand Californian Hotel - NYE 2005 * Polynesian - August 2006 * DCL Magic Western Caribbean - September 2007 * Yacht Club - October 2007 * Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa - December 2007 * Villas at Wilderness Lodge/DCL Wonder Double Dip - May 2008 * DCL Magic Mexican Riviera/Disneyland Hotel - August 2008 * Boardwalk Villas - October 2008 * Animal Kingdom Villas/Hard Rock Hotel Club - Easter 2009 * Bay Lake Tower/DCL Magic Eastern Caribbean & Tortola/Villas at Wilderness Lodge - September 2009 * Bay Lake Tower - June 2010 * DCL Magic Westbound Transatlantic - September 2010 * Old Key West - October 2010 * Sequoia Lodge/Paris - November 2010 * Boardwalk Villas/DCL Dream Inaugural Cruise - January 2011 * Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa/Villas at Wilderness Lodge - November 2011 * Boardwalk Villas - July 2012 * Animal Kingdom Villas/DCL Fantasy Western Caribbean - November 2012 * Boardwalk Villas/Bay Lake Tower - January 2014...
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-10-2010, 10:13 AM   #3
CustardTart

Eventually, we finished our meal and made our way out onto the Boardwalk where the sun had set and the lights were twinkling around Crescent Lake…

EPCOT's Spaceship Earth geosphere also glowed rather beautifully in the background - it really was quite enchanting…

But we soon decided it was time to make a move and head to Jellyrolls for the main event of the evening!!! Woohoo!!! I had been looking forward to tonight for so long, it was the thing I was most excited about for the whole trip.... And there was I thinking you were most excited about spending time with moi!!!

This was a new experience for both Claire and myself so we weren't 100% sure what to expect but we paid our admission and made our way into the gloom.. I think we arrived at about 8pm-ish, and there were quite a few tables empty near the stage so we promptly sat down. A server came over with a huge bowl of popcorn and, as we weren't sure of what to order drinks-wise, we both opted for a glass of chardonnay. Mistake!!! It was quite yuk - but hey, we were here to enjoy the atmosphere and entertainment, NOT critique the wine list!!! Oh but it was vile!!! So we sipped away - s-l-o-w-l-y… Later, we switched to a Jellyrolls-specific cocktail BUT I really can't recall the name (Claire! A little help here!!!) It was called a Berry Patch - i've no idea what was in it other than Vodka...... and can't possibly remember how many we drank. I do know, I kept giving mine to Claire as she had finished hers, ordered another round when I still had half of mine left!!! Mmmm… I was on a mission! I dread to think how many we (or should I say "I") ended up drinking!

Anyway, for those of you who are unfamiliar with Jellyrolls - here's the idea. It's a rustic piano bar with duelling pianos, audience sing-alongs and most definitely, dancing in the aisles. For a dollar or more , you can write your song request (obscure is good) on a napkin and stuff it on top of the piano with the $'s up on the stage. Throughout the evening, they work their way through the requests in their inimitable style. The duelling maestros switch on the hour with another pair of pianists and the evening is one of fast-paced fun!!! Suffice to say, we loved it and are sure to return!!! I can't recall all our requests BUT I know one of the highlights was when they did Bon Jovi's 'Living On A Prayer' which we'd asked for - awesome… Yes I was thrilled to have both of my requests played, the other one was Queen's 'We Will Rock You'.

Eventually, we were all danced out - but not before we did the Birthday Conga around the room.... and I know I felt VERY tired - "Tired" is that what we are calling it??? In that case we were both extremely TIRED!!! so we made our way back to the Boardwalk Inn, intending to catch a cab back to Bay Lake Tower. It wasn't a long walk, but it felt like it as, not only did I develop the most ridiculous attack of hiccups, but also my shoes wouldn't stay on my feet!!! Nor mine, we both walked back bare footed! I remember trying to perfect a gliding motion that ensured my stoopid mules stayed put, whilst squeaking away before giving up!!! Oh and my dear companion couldn't stop laughing at me which was very kind, I must say!!!

I had a bad case of the giggles! So do you not remember the part where we were holding hands skipping along the Boardwalk then???? OMG, how could I have forgotten that!!!??? Oh yeah, I was "tired"...

What a fab night!

Anyway, we were soon back in our home from home and tucked up in bed… Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Day 9, our last FULL day *sob* will be brought to you by Callous Cackling Claire…I'm on the case! Just the one - that's gotta be a first for you...
Old 08-10-2010, 10:47 AM   #4
Jordanblackpool
DIS Veteran

I want to come on holiday with you guys next year!!!

Past VisitsMGM Grand,Las Vegas. March 201113th Feb 2010 - Royal Crown Plaza March 2009 - Port Orleons, French Quarter,October 2007 - Port Orleons French Quarter,April 2004 - Comfort Inn,October 1999 - Port Orleons French Quarter,October 1997 -Port Orleons - French Quarter,October 1995 - Grosvenor LBV,October 1993 - Delta

Follow Me On Twitter www.twitter.com/Allsworth27
Jordanblackpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:31 AM   #5
wickesy
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you tomorrow, you're always a day...closer to our next Disney trip
I will be opening a sack full of cards and fighting off the advances of lots of lovely ladies

Another great day ladies. I love how you had the best of both worlds with views of both the lake and MK.

I've never read a bad word about Jellyrolls and I think as we'll (hopefully) be staying at BWV next year we'll have to give it a try.

I currently live in London until I have enough DVC points to stay at Animal Kingdom Villas every day of the year

Sep '92, Apr '07 - Contemporary Resort ~ Apr '08 - Animal Kingdom Lodge ~ Aug '08 - Grand Californian ~ Mar '09 - Saratoga Springs ~ Mar '10 - DLP ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise
Trip Reports: WDW April '07 ~ Canada August '07 ~ WDW April '08 ~ SF & Disneyland August '08 ~ WDW March '09 ~ Smokies August '09 ~ DLP March '10 ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise
wickesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:33 AM   #6
mandymouse
If It's Not A Bahama Mama Then I'm Not Interested
Can I put my Christmas Tree up yet ?

DISboards Moderator

What a great day girls, and a fab evening in Jelly Rolls too I thought it was quite bizarre to see Steve McManaman on ESPN, how the heck did the Americans understand his accent

mandymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:44 AM   #7
CustardTart

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandymouse View Post
What a great day girls, and a fab evening in Jelly Rolls too I thought it was quite bizarre to see Steve McManaman on ESPN, how the heck did the Americans understand his accent
I thought that!!! Especially when he got over-excited talking to the US anchor guy about England's performance during the half-time chit chat!!!
Old 08-10-2010, 01:04 PM   #8
jockey
Repeat after me....I LOVE CROC's, I LOVE CROC's, I LOVE CROC's!!!!!!

Another great day, jellyrolls sounds great!
Old 08-10-2010, 01:14 PM   #9
buzz for boys
Certified Serious Stitch Stalker

Jellyrolls sounds fab !!
Another ting to add to my list for when the kids are all grown :-)

buzz for boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 01:52 PM   #10
natalielongstaff
I need a cup of tea and a big bar of free chocolate now
Was born with my dancing shoes at the ready
I will be back later to stalk some more

wow ! what a lovely day, i really hope to get to Jellyrolls one night

natalielongstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:38 PM   #11
irongirlof12
Am I the only one who loves Quorn Sausages?
I would love to be at Ghiradelli's ice cream parlour with a massive choc sundae

fab day and a wonderful night
Old 08-11-2010, 02:09 AM   #12
Tammy Stringer
I love babies - all milky and baby powdery
Do you knit, Barbara?
Up for the marquee option

Another lovely day apart from the "F" word obviously!!

Glad you got to experience Jellyrolls - such a great place to spend an evening.

Sad your report is nearly over I have enjoyed reading all about your exploits.

Tammy
Tammy Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 02:18 AM   #13
joolz1910
I would have gone down to reception in my robe and slippers
I can't decide if it's sweet or sinister

Jelly Rolls sounds like great fun. Lovely photos - I still love your view.
2009 DLRP (DLH)
'Just Like we Dreamed it...at the DLH'
2011 DLP (Cheyenne)
2012 OKW at WDW 'A Whole New World'

joolz1910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 04:20 AM   #14
PJB71
DIS Veteran

Another great day girls Really enjoying your report, it makes me laugh soooo much
Old 08-11-2010, 04:39 AM   #15
cannp123165
Very Quizzical

Another great day!
DLR: 2009
DCL: August 2011 (Med)
cannp123165 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: