Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2010, 03:06 PM   #1
KingScar11
Earning My Ears

Disney Proposal help

Hello, I am looking for some help/tips from the Disney community. I will be heading to WDW in a little less than a year. At that time, I am thinking of proposing to my girlfriend. I'm sure this topic has come up in the past, but I would appreciate any ideas that you think would make the proposal unique and special.

I have a few thoughts already:
1. The castle during Wishes. Yes that would be special, but I feel that so many others have done that and I want our proposal to be unique.

2. @ the Polynesian on the beach. To me this seems like the best place because I could have the wishes fireworks in the background and it would be special for us. My concerns are that I want to have pictures/video taken; which makes it hard for a candid proposal.

3. The wishing well behind the castle. I could have her make a wish and then ask her which would be neat, but I kinda feel that it would be random and out of place.

Any ideas or tips would be a big help!
Edit/Delete Message
KingScar11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 03:20 PM   #2
captain america 2003
Always ready to see The World !

Congratulations and god luck !

All of your ideas seem great to me , however , I have a few more for you to consider .
- get a PS for the California Grill restaurant at the Contemporary resort for right before Wishes begins that night (call well ahead of time and tell them your plan and request a table with a good view) they pipe in the soundtrack and the view is incredible
- Characters in Flight balloon at DTD
- contact Guest services and see if they can help you get a character to assist you at a character meeting spot (this would work especially well with the Photopass photog right there to capture the moment )
Captain America
Register to remove

Old 08-08-2010, 03:38 PM   #3
rie'smom
"Always let your conscience be your guide."
I cannot look at my hamburger after I've taken a bite
Toilet paper must come over the top!

You could do it at the Coral Reef. I believe you can still get the diver to have a personalized message. You can get a personalized menu. Call and see if those are available. If they aren't or if you want a presonalized menu to remember the event, let me know and I'll see if I can find any of the restaurant menus and personalize it for you.
Also, the Disney bakery can make a special cake. It would be so cute to have a cake with a Cinderella slipper, then you could slip the ring into the slipper at the table. Be sure to let the restaurant know what you're planning.
rie'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 04:47 PM   #4
ninecrayons
DIS Veteran

Reading your list, I love all the ideas.

I think the park during is a nice idea, but it may not be the most personal moment because everyone's going to be around.

Personally, I love the beach at the Poly. Wishes there is very lovely and different experience from being in the park. There are plenty of places along the beach where you two could sort of be off together. I thing the bench swings with the view of the castle might be lovely.

That said, I'm sure Disney has gotten requests for candid proposal shots before. I bet they could find a workaround for that or you could even have a friend do it? Or ask someone who is there to watch?

You might also want to consider having the actual proposal moment be personal between the two of you and then doing pictures after. Trust me, that moment will be magic for a good long time after.
ninecrayons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:08 PM   #5
Cruz91
Always at Disney in my mind...

Just a thought...

How about asking to take a tour of the wedding chappel at the Grand Floridian, then pop the question there? We didn't get an official tour, but we were eating at 1900 Park Fair and walked over to the chappel (no wedding was going on). We were able to go in and look (asked CM who was close by and she said no problem) and it was beautiful. Propose at the alter, then have them snap some pics of you. It's amazing.
WH - Christmas '10 - OUR 10th trip!!
WBC - Spring Break '11, WH/WBC - June '11 (Surprise Trip)
WH - Thanksgiving '11,
AS-Sports - Solo Marathon Weekend '12 - I DID IT!!
WP - March '12
WH- June '12
Paradise Palms- TGiving '12 (also our 15th wedding anniversary)
AS Spo - Jan '13 Solo Marathon (again)
DW DH DD11 DS9
Cruz91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:16 PM   #6
twokids0204
DIS Dad #561
I control the universe.... scared yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingScar11 View Post
Hello, I am looking for some help/tips from the Disney community. I will be heading to WDW in a little less than a year. At that time, I am thinking of proposing to my girlfriend. I'm sure this topic has come up in the past, but I would appreciate any ideas that you think would make the proposal unique and special.

I have a few thoughts already:
1. The castle during Wishes. Yes that would be special, but I feel that so many others have done that and I want our proposal to be unique.

2. @ the Polynesian on the beach. To me this seems like the best place because I could have the wishes fireworks in the background and it would be special for us. My concerns are that I want to have pictures/video taken; which makes it hard for a candid proposal.

3. The wishing well behind the castle. I could have her make a wish and then ask her which would be neat, but I kinda feel that it would be random and out of place.

Any ideas or tips would be a big help!
Edit/Delete Message
I don't have a lot of help, but I would suggest posting the same question right here: http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

It is the Wedding and Honeymoon forum.

Oh and to the DISboards, and good luck with the proposal.

Me (Brian) DW (Sheri) DD12 DS9
Member #561
twokids0204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:16 PM   #7
eeyoremommy
DIS Veteran

I don't know if money is an option, but I was reading a thread on the Gifts of a Lifetime (I think that is what it was called). You fill out a questionnaire. They can do like a little scavenger hunt or whatever you might like. They can help you plan it out and execute it. I don't have much else. Sorry. I may be female, but I am so not creative at stuff like this. Good luck and how very cool
eeyoremommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:22 PM   #8
Pineapple Whip
Burning My Ears

Put it on her finger during the HM ride. That way when she starts screaming and crying she'll be in character and enhance the mood for everyone else

DESPERADOS: Because laminated schedules have no place on a vacation.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2522331
Pineapple Whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:24 PM   #9
resol37
Tower of Terror, here I come!
It's when they sart calling me "honey" and "darling" that we have problems

Whatever your plans end up being, if you think you'll need help from Disney staff, definitely call and ask! They're usually able and willing to assist.
Shades of Green (96, 98, 00, 06 - twice, 07, 10)
Vacation Home for the Somewhat Smaller Family Trip (12)
Caribbean Beach Resort (14)
resol37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:30 PM   #10
MelissathePooh
Disney Regular

This is what my DH did:

We were at MK - stayed for fireworks, parade, etc... He didn't want to leave right away and I figured it was because he didn't want to deal with the mass exodus at closing. So we just hung around by the Partners statue for a while (back when they had benches) and watched people go by. We helped families take photos infront of the castle for a while. I couldn't figure out what was going on until the area finally cleared out and a CM that had been in the area came up and asked for our camera to get a picture of us at the castle/statue. DH knelt down on one knee and asked my to marry him. The castle was lit from the "kiss goodnight" and it was perfect. It wasn't a big production or cost any extra money - just simple and sweet.

12 years later we still stop there every trip and have a picture taken, now with both of our kids in the pic as well.

While Eeyore frets and Piglet hesitates and Rabbit calculates and Owl pontificates, Pooh just is.
MelissathePooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:38 PM   #11
bellefromboston
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissathePooh View Post
This is what my DH did:

We were at MK - stayed for fireworks, parade, etc... He didn't want to leave right away and I figured it was because he didn't want to deal with the mass exodus at closing. So we just hung around by the Partners statue for a while (back when they had benches) and watched people go by. We helped families take photos infront of the castle for a while. I couldn't figure out what was going on until the area finally cleared out and a CM that had been in the area came up and asked for our camera to get a picture of us at the castle/statue. DH knelt down on one knee and asked my to marry him. The castle was lit from the "kiss goodnight" and it was perfect. It wasn't a big production or cost any extra money - just simple and sweet.

12 years later we still stop there every trip and have a picture taken, now with both of our kids in the pic as well.

That is so sweet!

Past Trips
All Star Music - 2000
POFQ - Feb. 2009
CBR - Dec. 2009
POFQ - March 2010
Beach Club - Dec. 2010
bellefromboston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:08 PM   #12
snykymom
Still tagless after all these years

If money is a lesser concern:
Take her to Victoria & Albert, a most romantic setting with phenomenal food.

My h took me to a romantic restaurant (not at Disney) - Asian food, French service. He typed up a fortune cookie fortune that said "Will you marry me?" and stuffed two cookies with a copy. (They didn't serve fortune cookies, but I didn't know that!) The waiter brought the cookies out in a black lacquered box and opened it. The cookies were sitting on red velvet. I opened the cookie, said yes, and the staff brought out the champagne.

I'm sure V&A's staff could assist you with something like this.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:11 PM   #13
j&j620
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissathePooh View Post
This is what my DH did:

Awwww!!! That got me a little misty-eyed!

(I have been known to cry at iPhone commercials, though...)

OP, my only suggestion is don't underestimate simple ideas. I really like your wishing well plan because then that would always be a special spot for the 2 of you.

No ticker for me

June 2009 - Disneymoon Poly/Disney Wonder / August 2010 - Family trip POFQ
July 2011 - 2nd Anniversary/graduate school graduation trip WL / Nov/Dec 2011 - Christmas trip with the in-laws Poly
July 2013 - 4th Anniversary Cruise YC/Disney Fantasy / September 2014 - 5th Anniversary/10 day extravaganza GF
j&j620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:27 PM   #14
kat08
Mouseketeer

Before I read your idea for the Poly beach, that's exactly what I would have suggested. Maybe get a couple of fruity drinks from the bar (can you bring those outside?) and get there early so you can maybe snag one of the hammocks...or at least a lunge chair. Hang out, sip, talk and then propose during Wishes. I'm a low key kind of person, though, but this would be my suggestion.

Good luck!
kat08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:42 PM   #15
vettechick99
Why do I open these threads?
Car Snob
Oh snap, I'm Bree!!
my mom used to call me "gagootz"

I like the V&As idea. Especially if you book the Chef's Table and you can work with those chefs ahead of time. I bet they can add the ring into the meal in a very romantic way!

Where are her favorite places? I love the WS at dusk (walking around with a cocktail is heaven to me), so that would be something I would find special. Tell her to pretend she's at Disney and ask what is she doing - that will give you a good idea of what she finds special at WDW. GL!

Check out the Official Bonnet Creek Thread or You too can do Disney Pregnant! or Our Budget In-Ground Pool
vettechick99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engagement, help planning, proposal

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: