Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2010, 05:39 PM   #1
Mel6197
Mrs. Public Works

Glow Sticks in Carry On

Just a quick question..

Can I pack a few tubes of Glow Sticks on Carry on Luggage?
I know its liquid inside..
Does this count?
and now added is Granny..

Am I crazy for loving Disney?
Nah...Just ask my DIS Buddies!

Mel6197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 05:47 PM   #2
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

From what I have heard, it does count. So they need to go into your checked bags.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-06-2010, 07:43 PM   #3
tjmw2727
Enjoys "mom and me" trips
May just have to dance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel6197 View Post
Just a quick question..

Can I pack a few tubes of Glow Sticks on Carry on Luggage?
I know its liquid inside..
Does this count?
Yes, liquid is liquid! If it can't hold it's shape outside of the container it is restricted to the 3-1-1 rule. If the glow sticks are small you could try putting a few in your 3-1-1 bag otherwise pack them in your checked bags or be prepared to toss them.

Personally I don't do anything that would attract attention to me in any way when clearing security so I would put them in my checked bags.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:44 PM   #4
Mel6197
Mrs. Public Works

Ok..

Thanks all

Its out of the carry on..
and now added is Granny..

Am I crazy for loving Disney?
Nah...Just ask my DIS Buddies!

Mel6197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 11:09 AM   #5
delmar411
DIS Veteran

we keep them in our carry on bags and since 2007 in the back pocket of the stroller (yes the sticks have been in there since 07! LOL) and it's never been an issue. Each stick must be less than 3oz. Although the ones in the stroller pocket live in there with the 10 or so bottles of mini bubbles and neither the bubbles or glow sticks are in a quart baggie so I guess we've just been 'lucky'?

Somethings attract more attention than others, like the large (but 3oz!) can of spray sunscreen that we've had to pull out and show was only 3oz. And the trading pins, which they don't pull out they just ask if we have a bunch of pins in the bag; the rolls of coins which they do pull out as they are a solid cylinder on the x-ray(we pull them out and put separate now).

Glow sticks are not one of those items they pull out or ask about. I think they can see what they are through the machine.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. ~Voltaire
delmar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 11:37 AM   #6
tjmw2727
Enjoys "mom and me" trips
May just have to dance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmar411 View Post
we keep them in our carry on bags and since 2007 in the back pocket of the stroller (yes the sticks have been in there since 07! LOL) and it's never been an issue. Each stick must be less than 3oz. Although the ones in the stroller pocket live in there with the 10 or so bottles of mini bubbles and neither the bubbles or glow sticks are in a quart baggie so I guess we've just been 'lucky'?

Somethings attract more attention than others, like the large (but 3oz!) can of spray sunscreen that we've had to pull out and show was only 3oz. And the trading pins, which they don't pull out they just ask if we have a bunch of pins in the bag; the rolls of coins which they do pull out as they are a solid cylinder on the x-ray(we pull them out and put separate now).

Glow sticks are not one of those items they pull out or ask about. I think they can see what they are through the machine.
You have been very lucky as the TSA requires that all liquids be under 3.4oz and in a 1 quart zip lock bag. One bag per passenger.

I recommend folks reading along follow the TSA guidelines as most passengers won't be that lucky. I fly often and see most of that stuff discarded and passengers subject to extra screening. This also slows down the screening process for the rest of us who do follow the rules.

Any questons can be answered at http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/index.shtm
Old 08-07-2010, 11:55 AM   #7
delmar411
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjmw2727 View Post
You have been very lucky as the TSA requires that all liquids be under 3.4oz and in a 1 quart zip lock bag. One bag per passenger.

I recommend folks reading along follow the TSA guidelines as most passengers won't be that lucky. I fly often and see most of that stuff discarded and passengers subject to extra screening. This also slows down the screening process for the rest of us who do follow the rules.

Any questons can be answered at http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/index.shtm
I had no idea until this past trip what was in the stroller pocket. We don't use a stroller at home and there was diapers in there, wipes, old napkins, etc(youngest has PT'd since the previous trip). It was stuffed full of 'stuff' from our trips. I found the glow sticks and bubbles buried under all that junk too and those were from our 07 trip. We do follow guidelines, hence the reason I mentioned to check the ozs on the glow sticks. We mostly do carry on only so I'm pretty anal about making sure we're within the oz sizing.

I'm just saying that glow sticks are allowed through security as long as they meet requirements. And that they obviously know what they are or else they would have been pulled from our bags to see what they are.

I travel with 4 kids. 3 of them up until this past trip were traveling with sippy cups full of liquids and we were allowed to carry those through the TSA check point. What a regular traveler may have to discard, families with young children get much more leniency on. Which is why I'm assuming the 20 odd times the stroller has been through check points since 07, it's never been pull out to inspect what the loose liquids were in the pocket.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. ~Voltaire
delmar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 02:10 PM   #8
lyonking3
DVC member

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

The TSA defines any liquid as an item in it's natural state that can not hold it's shape. Yes, Glow sticks are a liquid.
lyonking3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: