Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2010, 04:14 PM   #1
ArielRae
1042 mi from WDW

Question Oceaneer club for 1 yr old with Adult?

Looking thru my old Passporter and it says toddlers under 3 can go to the Oceaneer club with an adult. Do you think a 1 yr old would like it? Can you just show up or do arrangments need to be made? Any info on this would be great.
Animal Kingdom Lodge - 2006
Pop Century - 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009(Pregnant), 2013(Solo), 2104
Fort Wilderness - 2012(Tent Camping), 2013(2X), 2014
Disney's Wonder - 2006
Disney's Dream - 2011
Disney's Fantasy - 2012(Thanksgiving Cruise)

ArielRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 05:11 PM   #2
JRose48
Earning My Ears

For children with 2 year olds that are close, but not three and children that are three, but not potty trained you can talk to the activities director to allow them to participate with a parent. The activity director can make (but not guaranteed) an exception. In your case I believe your child is too young. It never hurts to ask, but I don't think they will allow it. Flounder's Nursery is lovely and they are very good with the children. That is your best bet.
JRose48 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-09-2010, 05:15 PM   #3
ArielRae
1042 mi from WDW

Was wondering not to participate in the activites but to use the play areas.
Animal Kingdom Lodge - 2006
Pop Century - 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009(Pregnant), 2013(Solo), 2104
Fort Wilderness - 2012(Tent Camping), 2013(2X), 2014
Disney's Wonder - 2006
Disney's Dream - 2011
Disney's Fantasy - 2012(Thanksgiving Cruise)

ArielRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 05:19 PM   #4
JRose48
Earning My Ears

I believe during the open times (like the night you arrive, etc) everyone can use it. I think (and I sure someone will let me know if I'm wrong) during regular hours they will not allow it because it's so busy with all the activities and children.
JRose48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:01 PM   #5
Page4
Mouseketeer

I hate to be a party pooper here but, I don't really want adults in there that aren't counselors while my kids are there. That's just me, I guess.

Last edited by Page4; 08-09-2010 at 06:01 PM. Reason: spelling
Page4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:06 PM   #6
Jareds_mommy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Page4 View Post
I hate to be a party pooper here but, I don't really want adults in there that aren't counselors while my kids are there. That's just me, I guess.
I am going to have to agree on this point too

Jareds_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:04 PM   #7
sjsjbrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jareds_mommy View Post
I am going to have to agree on this point too
On my last cruise, quite often we were in there with our kids, taking photos of our kids in activities. You have to have a child in the program to get in, but there were several other parents in the room.

I know that parents that had young children and children in the programs, did bring in their younger child sometimes, but they did not participate in the program.
sjsjbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:12 PM   #8
mickey7879
Stay at home mommy to a Disney baby Tyler (3 yrs old) and anniversary baby Jackson (9 months old). Happily married to the love of my life, Mark, for 10 yrs.

Quote:
While I do agree with this to an extent, I also would want to go in with my children and see what's going on. I know he will be in there having fun and I'd like to take pictures and be apart of it. If they weren't going to allow any parents, I'd be a little curious as to see why....like what's going on in there.....guess it's just me being over protective.

Don't take your role too serious. In the whole scheme of things, you're no better than anyone else.....
mickey7879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:15 PM   #9
tigger2on
I can't believe I read this WHOLE thing!
Mom to the Incredible Smiley Ryleigh

They do have open times for free play....
Be aware though that...
Parents are allowed in the clubs at anytime and are free to take pictures of the activities as well. They do not allow you to enter unless you are registered to pick up a specific child...
Many parents also go in and out to do toileting with their children and stay if their child is shy/ uncomfortable.
With the new program of letting kids of all ages go between OC and OL, I saw a lot more parents in the Lab than I had before. I excepted to see parents of children 3-6 in the OC... but now there seems to be more in OL as well.
I have also participated in the program with my disabled child until they were able to decide if they were capable of taking care of my child without me.
WDW trips with my kids: May 2001, December 2002, November 2003, May 2004, September 2004, October 2005, September 2006, May 2007, May 2008, February 2009, Sept/Oct 2009, February 2010, May 2011, October 2011, May 2012

DCL trips: Wonder 2001, 2004, 2010 Dream - 3x 2011Wonder 5-night 2013
tigger2on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:16 PM   #10
poohkinandpiglet
Longhorn Fan
Hook 'em Horns!

Honestly, there's not much in the Oceaneer Club for a one year old to do. The play structure is too big for them to climb on safely and the other kids are running around. It doesn't seem like a safe environment for a child that young, even with a parent tagging along. There are other areas on the ship with family activities going on.

Honestly, I was slightly dissappointed on our last cruise with the way they've changed the club and lab. They seem way too crowded now with way too many parents in and out all the time because younger siblings want to be with older ones even when they may not be ready to be there. IMO, it was better the old way when the kids were divided by age. The activities for 4-6, 7-8 and 9-10 year olds should be different since they are developmental differences in what they are able to do. The old kid's club activities were more age appropriate than some of them now because of the mixed age thing. Now, everything is group games, arts & crafts and broad activities that accommodate multi-ages.

Don't get me wrong, my kid's still loved it but . . . IMO, it was much better when they moved around to the sports deck, had glow parties, Kim Possible missions, etc . . . when they were grouped with kids of similar age. My 9 year old doesn't want to do the same activities/games/etc . . . with four year olds (or his six year old sister for that matter). It does take away some of the Magic for the older ones when they have to be group with kids three to five years younger.

Last edited by poohkinandpiglet; 08-10-2010 at 11:41 PM.
poohkinandpiglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:50 PM   #11
poohkinandpiglet
Longhorn Fan
Hook 'em Horns!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey7879 View Post
If they weren't going to allow any parents, I'd be a little curious as to see why....like what's going on in there.....guess it's just me being over protective.
It's not that they don't allow parents. Parents are welcome but not encouraged to hang around the whole time. The club and lab are designed for kids to stay and play with other kids so parents can go out and enjoy time doing their own thing on the ship-- reading, the spa, bingo, a movie, etc.

That way, kids are happy, Mom and Dad are happy . . . and that's the true beauty of a Disney cruise vacation.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: