Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK DVC Discussion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2010, 04:21 AM   #1
MrsJobba1
I swoon @ the very mention of his name
Pirate Grabber
Captain Inquisitive
Has impeccable timing

Question Has anyone been to Disney's Vero Beach?

Just wondered about this- we've always fancied going

Has anyone been, what was your opinion? What is there to do / eat?

How did you get there

Thanks

MrsJobba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 05:50 AM   #2
chip&dale1
Earning my ears.

It's breathtaking. An ideal place to relax . We usually go for 3 or 4 days.It is a slower pace and the restaurants are good. Restaurants off site have the views.we haven't ventured off site for activities as we just kick back and enjoy the sound of the waves on the beach with a glass of something.This year we are pushed for time and can't overnight stop but we are going for the day.Yes it's that good!

WDW 2003 WDW 2005 DVC Member SSR 2005 DR Paris 2006 DR Paris 2007 SSR 2007 VB 2007 Concierge collection Royal Garden London 2008 WDW SSR 2009 AKV (Savanna View) VB 2009 WDW SSR 2010 BLT (MK view) 2010 THV SSR VB 2012
chip&dale1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-06-2010, 07:28 AM   #3
MrsJobba1
I swoon @ the very mention of his name
Pirate Grabber
Captain Inquisitive
Has impeccable timing

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip&dale1 View Post
It's breathtaking. An ideal place to relax . We usually go for 3 or 4 days.It is a slower pace and the restaurants are good. Restaurants off site have the views.we haven't ventured off site for activities as we just kick back and enjoy the sound of the waves on the beach with a glass of something.This year we are pushed for time and can't overnight stop but we are going for the day.Yes it's that good!
Hi it sounds great.

Is it easy to walk around , ie to go to restaurants - im thinking as we wont have a car.

Thankyou
Ps how long a car journey is it from WDW?

MrsJobba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 07:39 AM   #4
Disneymad
DIS Veteran

It's a good drive from WDW - like 90-120 mins iirc. It's a beautiful resort but I'm not sure it's a good choice if you're not driving - it's kinda in the middle of nowhere and not that easy to get to.

I've been for a couple of day trips, and stayed once over night. I might have missed it in the brevity of my trips but it didn't look like any restaurants were in walking distance. I think they had bicycle hire though so possibly an option, will check my little newsletter thing from the resort when I get home tonight.
Disneymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 05:58 PM   #5
skelfbsfb
DIS Veteran

We have only been once but loved the whole place, very relaxing for the whole family, beach right on your doorstep. We stayed in a room which overlooked the beach, fantastic veiws. Only advice I can give is take plenty of suncream.

If you are driving it will take about 1.30mins, we took the 192 down to melbourne then there was a sign for vero but after that we never seen another sign, thank goodness for sat nav.

Hopefully Vero will be in the plans for next year.

2003:Quality Inn Plaza 2004:Howard Johnston 2005:Sheraton 2006:Port Orleans Riverside 2007:Animal Kingdom Lodge 2008:BWV & OKW 2009:BWV & Vero Beach, RPH 2010:VILLA & HRH & BWV 2011:BWV & Vero Beach & HRH 2012:Vero Beach & OKW & BWV & HRH 2013:OKW & HRH & BWV 2014:OKW & BWV Mortgage free 2015:
skelfbsfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 03:35 AM   #6
Pootle

DIS Veteran

I think I've been every year since 1996 at different times but usually just for 3-5 days. IMO it's definitely not a place to visit without a car. Apart from the hotel itself (food offerings just so-so and of course, not cheap!) it's a distance to eating places, whether in nearby Sebastian or Vero Beach proper. We prefer to do the journey on 192 across to Melbourne and then south to Vero, even though it's a bit slower than I95, we find it more interesting.

It's a great place to relax and the close proximity of the ocean can't be beaten, but it certainly doesn't suit everyone - those who want lots of activities/dining options nearby are better giving it a miss.

This year, I was there at the end of January - when we thought we had left the snow and ice behind at Gatwick. Unusually, it was freezing when we arrived in Florida and my strongest memory is of walking along the beach 'promenade' at Vero in my padded coat, scarf, gloves and sunglasses. I actually loved that too, but seeing my breath is not something I associate with Vero
Old 08-07-2010, 05:30 AM   #7
Hilary
There's always something new to learn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pootle View Post
... IMO it's definitely not a place to visit without a car. Apart from the hotel itself (food offerings just so-so and of course, not cheap!) it's a distance to eating places, whether in nearby Sebastian or Vero Beach proper. We prefer to do the journey on 192 across to Melbourne and then south to Vero, even though it's a bit slower than I95, we find it more interesting. ...
Agreed

We'll be back in VB for a few days at the beginning of next month, and we've grown to love the resort more each time we visit

The first time we stayed at VB, I admit I was a little (only a little ) underwhelmed, but I think that was partly because the Atlantic beach at Vero is not as picture-perfect as the beaches on Florida's Gulf coast that we'd visited on previous trips. But that's a bit like comparing DVC resorts themselves - they're all great, but some of us think one or other has the edge for our own personal reasons.

I definitely agree that I wouldn't want to visit without a car, but I think you could still have a good break without your own transport, as long as you were happy to take whatever eating options are available on-site. There is/was a take-away pizza and ice-cream place just across the street, and the store in the resort sells bread, milk, cereal, etc. Add that to the restaurant and pool bar options in the resort and you wouldn't starve

As well as the beach, the resort has a lake in a 'natural' kind of setting with a couple of BBQ grills and picnic benches where I often take a stroll (watch out for the mozzies) in the evening while DH fishes. There are also tennis courts, a couple of horseshoe pitches (no idea what the correct term for that is!!) and (I think) a volley-ball court in the same area. The main pool area has mini crazy-golf, and there are activities arranged every day if you're interested. We went on a very enjoyable kayaking trip one morning, and DH did an introductory scuba course.

In fact, I can't wait until we get back there!
Old 08-07-2010, 06:23 AM   #8
juliebrooks35
Mouseketeer

We've been thinking about a few nights in Vero for our next trip so I'm glad to hear it's as lovely as it looks. Does anyone have any experience of successfully booking this for July at the 7 month window?
juliebrooks35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:04 PM   #9
JimC
DVC Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

We like going each May. It is a relaxing resort.

Places to visit:

Pelican Island National Wildlife Refuge

Sebastian Inlet State Park

McLarty Treasure Museum

Kennedy Space Center

Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge

McKee Botanical Gardens

Manatee Observation Center

Port Canaveral
WDW - All Star Movies (Fantasia), Animal Kingdom Lodge (3), Animal Kingdom Villas (Jambo House-2, Kidani Village-6), Bay Lake Towers (8), Beach Club, Beach Club Villas (9), Boardwalk Villas, Contemporary (2), Caribbean Beach (Aruba-2, Jamaica-2), Coronado Springs (Casitas-3), Dixie Landings (Bayou), Disney Institute (Villas-3), Grand Floridian (Sago Cay), Old Key West (5), Polynesian (Figi), Port Orleans, Saratoga Springs (Carousel, Congress Park, Grandstand-2, Paddock, Springs, Treehouse Villas), Villas at Grand Floridian, Villas at Wilderness Lodge (5), Wilderness Lodge, Yacht Club, Other (Cypress Harbour-6, Doubletree Castle, Renaissance WorldGate, Village [Royal Plaza, Pickett Suite])
DCL - Dream (2/11 4, 10/11 3, 2/12 4, 5/13 4, 5/14 4), Fantasy (11/13 Eastern, 10/14 Western), Magic (6/99 4, 5/05 Panama Canal, 9/08 5, 11/10 Eastern, 10/11 Western), Wonder (12/06 4, 9/09 4, 5/12 Alaska)
DL - Grand Californian (4), Villas Grand Californian (3), Marriott
Other DVC - Hilton Head, Vero Beach (6)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:48 PM   #10
JimC
DVC Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

A few restaurants to consider:

Bella Napoli

Capt Hiram's

Lobster Shanty

Mamma Mia's

MoBay Grill

Mr. Manatee's

Riverside Cafe

Squid Lips Grill

TooJays

Waldo's at the Driftwood

Ocean Grill
WDW - All Star Movies (Fantasia), Animal Kingdom Lodge (3), Animal Kingdom Villas (Jambo House-2, Kidani Village-6), Bay Lake Towers (8), Beach Club, Beach Club Villas (9), Boardwalk Villas, Contemporary (2), Caribbean Beach (Aruba-2, Jamaica-2), Coronado Springs (Casitas-3), Dixie Landings (Bayou), Disney Institute (Villas-3), Grand Floridian (Sago Cay), Old Key West (5), Polynesian (Figi), Port Orleans, Saratoga Springs (Carousel, Congress Park, Grandstand-2, Paddock, Springs, Treehouse Villas), Villas at Grand Floridian, Villas at Wilderness Lodge (5), Wilderness Lodge, Yacht Club, Other (Cypress Harbour-6, Doubletree Castle, Renaissance WorldGate, Village [Royal Plaza, Pickett Suite])
DCL - Dream (2/11 4, 10/11 3, 2/12 4, 5/13 4, 5/14 4), Fantasy (11/13 Eastern, 10/14 Western), Magic (6/99 4, 5/05 Panama Canal, 9/08 5, 11/10 Eastern, 10/11 Western), Wonder (12/06 4, 9/09 4, 5/12 Alaska)
Old 08-15-2010, 10:27 AM   #11
Hilary

I'm noting all your suggestions for our visit later this month, Jim
Old 08-20-2010, 08:12 AM   #12
jns
Tries hard to get the jelly off Jaffa Cakes without breaking it!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilary View Post
We went on a very enjoyable kayaking trip one morning, and DH did an introductory scuba course.
are these offered from the resort or somewhere else

thanks for all the great reveiws
really most plan this into our next trip
2007 Animal Kingdom , Disney Magic , Saratoga Springs,NYC
2008 DLRP Santa Fa , Beachclub Villas, Wilderness Lodge ,Disney Magic and New York

2009 BayLake Towers, Beachclub Villas and Disney Wonder 2011 Disney Magic, Mediterranean Cruise, Old Key West2012 Los Vegas, Grand Calf and San Fran 2013 Disney fantasy , Wilderness Lodge and Vero Beach

We now know the secert too!! Trip report 2006 Trip Report 2008 WDW / DCL
jns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 05:44 AM   #13
Hilary

Quote:
Originally Posted by jns View Post
are these offered from the resort or somewhere else
They were both offered from the resort. The kayaking took place about a half hour's drive away, with transport (minibus) provided. The scuba intro took place in the resort pool.

There is a range of activites arranged over the week, so your choice will be limited to what's on offer at the time you're there (unless you're staying a full week), as they may offer some activities only once or twice a week.

There's a list of regular activities on the DVC members' website
Old 08-21-2010, 01:13 PM   #14
dor1
Mouseketeer

Hi-as others have said it's fantastic.
We had a great 3 night break which was lovely and relaxing.
I dont think anyone else has mentioned the noseeums (i have'nt made that name up!) which we heard can be bothersome.
We went well prepared with various sprays and lotions and we had no problems at all,we went in august too when you'd expect to have to guard against these things.
Id say if you get the chance then definatly go for it.
2007-DVC owners at SSR
2008-SSR-Vero Beach-AKV
2010-SSR-Polynesian
2012-SSR-Cocoa-OKW

dor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 01:52 PM   #15
JimC
DVC Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dor1 View Post
Hi-as others have said it's fantastic.
We had a great 3 night break which was lovely and relaxing.
I dont think anyone else has mentioned the noseeums (i have'nt made that name up!) which we heard can be bothersome.
We went well prepared with various sprays and lotions and we had no problems at all,we went in august too when you'd expect to have to guard against these things.
Id say if you get the chance then definatly go for it.
Their bite can be quite itchy with the welt lasting a week or more. Topical antihistamines are somewhat effective. They are small enough to pass through ordinary window screening. A good insect repellent containing DEET is also useful.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: