Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2010, 09:32 PM   #91
badblackpug
If you knew her you would be shocked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaleficentandGoons View Post
^ My post wasn't specifically about Disney it was about Kid menus everywhere. I also expressed my concern about school lunches way back too.

My kid pack lunch for school. They really don't even like the school lunches, except for pizza day.

At restaurants at home they are welcome to order off the adult menu. We just have the server box what they don't finish and they have it for lunch the next day.

In DW, my older daughter is 12, so she orders off the adult menu, although occasionally she will order off the kids menu. My older son is 9. He doesn't mind the kids menu, as I said before, he considers it a treat, his complaint is that the portions are too small, he has a very hearty appetite. The good new is my 2 year old can't finish a kids meal, so he "helps" her.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:41 PM   #92
shelby101301
Mouseketeer

I agree - the kid menus out there are generally terrible. Last Disney trip, we chose the healthy options for our kids too, and by the end of the week, I couldn't blame them for not wanting to eat a single more grape or even a piece of pizza (ours won't touch things like mac-n-cheese. We bring them up on eating real food) Yes there are healthy options, but not really all that many choices. At CS, you have to pick the same boring meal over and over...

Yes, we certainly cheat during vacation. That means we allow desserts and sometime fries, but who wants to eat fries everyday?...yuck! We don't eat out at home much - less than once a month, and fast food is a rare treat (for them, not us)...something they get a couple of times a year only.

I won't even remotely let my first grader next year eat at his school cafeteria. They only serve pizza, burgers, hot dogs, tacos... you get the idea. He'll be taking his lunch.

This next trip, we opted to pay for Disney Dining even though TS really doesn't suit our vacation style. But almost all our seatings are at buffet types so hopefully, they will get a good choice this time. I've checked the menus online, so I feel better.

I wish more people would stand up for our children. Until then, we can only continue to refuse to buy it - I do now and we just deal with it. I can't judge other people or their choices, I can only worry about the health of my own kid. No obesity related diseases in this house if I can help it!

Me(43)DH(39) DS(10) DD(8) DS (5)

shelby101301 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-05-2010, 10:54 PM   #93
shan136
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I just hate that because some people have allowed their kids to be horrible eaters those of us who want to instill good diets in their kids have no choice but to buy adult meals.
Honestly, I think anyone who has this opinion doesn't have children, let alone a picky eater.

My daughter is, unfortunately, one of the pickiest eaters. Her issue is "texture" and the fear that anything that she will eat will be soft and mushy. It came on suddenly, one day she was downing orange slices the next she would only eat Cheerios.

As a parent, it is my responsibility alone to make sure my DD6 has healthy nutritious foods at every meal and every snack regardless of what is available and/or convenient. It doesn't matter if you have you an adventurous or picky eater, it's the parent's responsibility to make sure that nutritious food that your children will eat is available and not the local corporation, government etc.

This fall we will be at WDW on the DDP but I am still planning on packing plenty of healthy snacks and drinks that DD will actually consume. As for what is available at WDW, and even McD's etc., I feel that they have come a long way in healthy offerings. There was a time when apple slices, grapes and/or carrots were not on any menu.

At WDW one of the concessions that they haven't made is to allow guests to fill their resort mugs with milk or natural fruit juice, but these drinks are available. In a few years I hope there will be more healthy choices available, just as I think that the US food industry has made some small but significant strides away from the over-processed, HFCS heavy diet that we have become addicted to. As parents, if we make enough noise and spend our $ in a "smart" way, we can make these changes happen.
shan136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 03:31 AM   #94
Bell30012
DIS Veteran

It's not that the food that Disney offers on the kid's menus is so unhealthy. There are healthy options. It's a total lack of variety. How many times do your kids want to choose between the same three or four options? Disney does so many things well and then there is the kid's menu.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:23 AM   #95
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dburg30 View Post
Meh, this country was founded on meat and taters.. The problem is that most people (myself included as I'm sitting behind a keyboard) dont 'DO' much anymore. Meat / Bread / Starch / Carbs etc etc arent really bad for you, within reason, but you cant just eat it and then go watch TV or play games. THAT'S the big problem.. Pretty sure corn dogs / french fries / hamburgers / big thick whole milk milkshakes all that 'junk' food has been around a LONG time..
Actually there are WHOLE studies now that diets high in carbohydrates are not good at all.They cause exaggerated insulin responses ( which leads to more being stored as fat).Yes these food have been around a long time, but they are also aren't even remotely prepared like they used to be, and contain tons of fillers and chemicals,or are sprayed with them to increase revenue and profits to the big companies. So that coupled with most people fly desks 9+ hours per day, and kids don't really play outside all that much means a huge problem( no pun intended).
Old 08-06-2010, 07:36 AM   #96
lyonking3
DVC member

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

I totally agree with you

I don't do the dining plan at Disney.

Split a meal, and get an extra appetizer or salad if really hungry. Ends up being a wash or cheaper
lyonking3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:09 AM   #97
shelby101301
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell30012 View Post
It's not that the food that Disney offers on the kid's menus is so unhealthy. There are healthy options. It's a total lack of variety. How many times do your kids want to choose between the same three or four options? Disney does so many things well and then there is the kid's menu.
Exactly! I couldn't agree more!

I just want to say, for those of you whose kids have special needs, I think we all understand. I think we can all get that kind of issue....

But I have "a friend" we'll call them, who only provides cheese sandwiches, nuggets, hot dogs, fries and potato chips. I have seen this friend during regular times and holiday times, and that's all he gets. Never once fruit or veggies, but there's always room for dessert. it makes me so sad. She's not doing him any favors, but rather a great dis-service.

As are the restaurants that these menus cater too. It's a great dis-service to our children. Some of those kid meals are thousands of calories! It's too much for an adult to eat, let alone a child. Yes, it takes a lot of time and money to introduce a new food over and over again. But it's really an important issue. My whole "friend's" family is a walking advertisement for type II diabetes. They will pay for that emotionally and physically and we all will pay for it through health care costs.

Do I think it's laziness or bad parenting? Not at all. It's an education issue. Our family has been learning over the past few years that the food we ate as kids is not the same food our kids are eating today. It's more processed and our bodies are not made to eat that stuff.

The introduction of HFCS and other things happened over our life times. Chicken nuggets were not the thing they are today when we were kids. Just look at the labels. If it's not real food ingredients, don't buy it. You wouldn't feed your kids chemicals at home, right? Why do it through their food?

I do think Disney makes an effort, but over all, I think restaurants in general are terrible. Again, we choose not to eat out and instead use that money for natural food. All Hail Trader Joe's and Whole foods! LOL

Keep in mind, folks, there are easy ways to start... Buy organic catsup, all natural barbeque sauce (there is a major brand out there that uses molasses, not HFCS) and maple syrup instead of the processed garbage. Start with that. Then you can start to make other changes that your kids can gradually work into. Doesn't have to happen over night. We made the change over 2 years.

What I'm trying to say is, I'm not judging those parents out there, but rather, encouraging them to get back on the saddle and try and try again. I understand it's hard. Consider this a pat on the back and a cyber hug of support, OK?

Me(43)DH(39) DS(10) DD(8) DS (5)

shelby101301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:55 AM   #98
MaleficentandGoons
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell30012 View Post
You are so right about that! There is no variety!
MaleficentandGoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:03 AM   #99
okeydokey
Frosty the Snowman scared me as a child
It will always be beautiful no matter what it looks like naked

This is why I love the AllEars site. You can look at all the menus ahead of time so you know what you are getting.
okeydokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:22 AM   #100
perfectparanoia
Mouseketeer

Okay I read the whole thread and can't help but put in my two cents.

1. You are on vacation! Do you eat super healthy on vacation? I know I don't. Eating things I wouldn't normally eat is part of the break from my day to day life.

2. The reason that the kids menus are predominently nuggets and french fries is because most kids will eat them. They have to cater to the masses. (That's also why the subs are carrots and grapes. They are very sweet so most kids will eat them.)

3. The whole picky eater thing. I am afraid I am a bit of a throwback on this one. Yes, your child can have health issues (or sensory issues) that will make them basically unable to eat certain foods but let's face it that is a small percentage of children. We have had our children try everything when it came to food. It began with deciding they didn't like something they ate heartily the day before and has now moved to sitting down for supper and saying that they aren't hungry to spitting things on the table. After much trial and error, we came up with the following guidelines:

-You must try everything on your plate.
-We do not spit out food. (They get a time out while their dinner gets cold.)
-If you do not finish your 'real food' there is no dessert/bedtime snack/treat.
-We will only give you a little bit of everything to start and you can have more if you are still hungry.
-Everyone eats the same thing. That means parents, too. Peanut butter makes me gag but the kids love it so I just choke it down.

For our kids, it had nothing at all to do with food, it was all about control. (Please note that this has worked with our past toddler aged children. Anything below 5, and we have no idea what you can do since we have never had children that age.)

Now they have discovered that they like olives, love salad but still don't like asparagus, steak or fish. I just try to break up the things they don't like into seperate meals.

4. We feed our kids pretty healthily (we have one meal a week that is either fish sticks or chicken nuggets as part of our family night but otherwise). We eat lots of fresh fruits and veggies. However, most families (mine included) can't take the financial hit that eating everything with no additives would cause. Our grocery bill is easily our biggest expenditure (about 1.5 times our mortgage). That is with me shopping at the cheaper stores and only buying meat, etc when it is on sale. Another few hundred dollars will really eat into the kids college fund. And I live in an area with lots of availability of options.

Okay flame away.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:35 AM   #101
MarriedToAPrince
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by okeydokey View Post
These are mostly sit down dinners which my family cannot afford to attend. My kids sometimes do appetizers instead, or share with us. We tend towards those restaurants that have better selections like CHH or Flame Tree.
I don't understand this, these places are on the dining plan and it makes sense cost wise to get the dining plan, so I don't understand?

9/2000-offsite; 6/2003-All Star Sports-Our Honeymoon; 5/2005-Caribbean Beach; 9/2006-Pop Century; 5/2007-Port Orleans Riverside our baby girl; 9-10/2010-Pop Century-Chaeli's 1st Trip and 3rd Birthday Celebration!; 8/2012-Coronado Springs, 8/2014-Art of Animation
MarriedToAPrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:39 AM   #102
MarriedToAPrince
DIS Veteran

I do have a fairly picky eater, however she loves fresh fruits and healthy things like cottage cheese and yogurt. Our plan is to have a grocery delivery to the hotel with stuff like that or use snacks to get them and bring them with us to the parks. We are going to several table serve restaurants that will have other options for her that I know she will eat.

9/2000-offsite; 6/2003-All Star Sports-Our Honeymoon; 5/2005-Caribbean Beach; 9/2006-Pop Century; 5/2007-Port Orleans Riverside our baby girl; 9-10/2010-Pop Century-Chaeli's 1st Trip and 3rd Birthday Celebration!; 8/2012-Coronado Springs, 8/2014-Art of Animation
MarriedToAPrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:07 AM   #103
eyor44
DIS Veteran

When I pay OOP at WDW I eat kids meals and I can't eat much fried at all, nor do I care for burgers much. I have had some great kids meals, especially in Epcot.
eyor44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:15 AM   #104
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

There is an entire menu to choose from, how can there be no variety? The kid's menu is on there not because of picky eaters, its there because thats the food that the majority of kids like to eat. If they happen to be one in the minority and not like that stuff there are plenty of things to order off of the adult menu. Restaurants don't need to put out a kids menu with the same fare as the adult menu because its already an option there to purchase.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:50 AM   #105
Ava
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelby101301 View Post
Exactly! I couldn't agree more!

I just want to say, for those of you whose kids have special needs, I think we all understand. I think we can all get that kind of issue....

But I have "a friend" we'll call them, who only provides cheese sandwiches, nuggets, hot dogs, fries and potato chips. I have seen this friend during regular times and holiday times, and that's all he gets. Never once fruit or veggies, but there's always room for dessert. it makes me so sad. She's not doing him any favors, but rather a great dis-service.

As are the restaurants that these menus cater too. It's a great dis-service to our children. Some of those kid meals are thousands of calories! It's too much for an adult to eat, let alone a child. Yes, it takes a lot of time and money to introduce a new food over and over again. But it's really an important issue. My whole "friend's" family is a walking advertisement for type II diabetes. They will pay for that emotionally and physically and we all will pay for it through health care costs.

Do I think it's laziness or bad parenting? Not at all. It's an education issue. Our family has been learning over the past few years that the food we ate as kids is not the same food our kids are eating today. It's more processed and our bodies are not made to eat that stuff.

The introduction of HFCS and other things happened over our life times. Chicken nuggets were not the thing they are today when we were kids. Just look at the labels. If it's not real food ingredients, don't buy it. You wouldn't feed your kids chemicals at home, right? Why do it through their food?

I do think Disney makes an effort, but over all, I think restaurants in general are terrible. Again, we choose not to eat out and instead use that money for natural food. All Hail Trader Joe's and Whole foods! LOL

Keep in mind, folks, there are easy ways to start... Buy organic catsup, all natural barbeque sauce (there is a major brand out there that uses molasses, not HFCS) and maple syrup instead of the processed garbage. Start with that. Then you can start to make other changes that your kids can gradually work into. Doesn't have to happen over night. We made the change over 2 years.

What I'm trying to say is, I'm not judging those parents out there, but rather, encouraging them to get back on the saddle and try and try again. I understand it's hard. Consider this a pat on the back and a cyber hug of support, OK?

The switch to HFCS, chemical additives, etc in processed foods has happened within the last 30-40 years. The food kids today eat is different than the food we ate & our parents ate as children. Which means that we as parents need to be more diligent about controlling what our kids eat. I've become an obsessive label-reader, especially since DD started eating table food, and have stopped buying a lot of things that used to be staples. (For example, we hardly ever buy salad dressing any more because 95% of them have HFCS. We just use balsamic vinegar & olive oil.)

I also seek out brands that are changing back to natural recipes with no additives. Companies are listening & realizing that consumers no longer want all this crap in their food. Heinz makes a ketchup without HFCS; Hagen-Daaz has a line of ice cream called "Five" - each one has only 5 ingredients. So I vote with my $ by choosing these brands over others.

I'm not saying we never eat junk food & will never allow DD to have junk food. But I feel like the junk should stay in the junk food that we eat only occasionally & not be in the real food that we eat every day.

1983 (age 3) - Buena Vista Palace
1988 - Fort Wilderness Cabin
1991 - Offsite
1997 - All-Star Music
2002 - All-Star Music
2004 - All-Star Movies
April 2006 - All-Star Music (1st Trip with DW!)
May 2011 - POP Century (DD1's 1st Trip!)
Sept 2014 - Caribbean Beach (DD2's 1st Trip!)

Ava is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: