Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2010, 03:26 PM   #76
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

Can you share meals? We share quite often when we were at DL/DCA. DD10 and I would share salads and pasta or the family will pick 1 pasta, 1 salad and 2 slices of pizza and share it. If possible share, and then maybe you can pick something healthier from the menus.

I do agree tho, we think that DLR/DCA could have better choices too.

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:25 PM   #77
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by livndisney View Post
Quite honestly, we spend a lot of time at Disney and have never had a problem finding fresh fruit and salads at CS. So you are "concerned" about something that really isn't a problem.
I have to agree. It is pretty darn easy to eat healthy at WDW. Lots of places to just grab a piece of fruit for a quick snack if that is what you want, instead of another Mickey bar. Many restaurants have fish on the menu. Heck, you can even find hummus at some of the food courts.

For those people concerened with the kids menu, I believe you can get grapes and apples instead of fries at pretty much all of the counter service restaurants.
Register to remove

Old 08-05-2010, 05:18 PM   #78
michael's mom
DIS Veteran

Looking back, I never responded to the post because I was caught up on the lazy parenting piece of this.

I have to say that in the 3 1/2 years I've been ordering food off of a children's menu, I've seen great improvement in options. Sure, chicken nuggests, fries, and hot dogs are there, but so isn't grilled chicken, fish, and the side orders are plentiful and aside from the fries, all healthy. Such as fruit, veggies, salad, etc.

So yes, those "junky" meals are on the menu and they will stay there because they are what are considered "staples" on restaurant menus. Just as the bacon cheeseburger, fried chicken sandwich, and chicken parmesan are "staples" on an adult menu. They aren't the only options available for adults and no longer are they the only options for children, but they're still there.

You don't have to allow your child to eat these foods just because they are on the menu. When she's not old enough to read you just say "You can have grilled chicken or salad for lunch which would you prefer" and when she can read, you still don't have to let her eat that food.

DH Me DS DD Chloe Louie
1980-1989 many times at Polynesian;1990, 1993, 1995, 1999, 2000, 2002 CBR;2004 CBR Honeymoon;2007 CBR Baby's 1st trip; 2009 Grand Gathering at POR;
2011 Wedding and Grand Gathering at our home...CBR Pirate style; 2013 CBR Baby's 1st trip
michael's mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 06:32 PM   #79
lilybrooke14
Mouseketeer

My kid is not a super adventurous eater, but she's not that crazy about most of the things on the average kid's menu. She'll survive for a week though. I know why the stuff is on the menu at Disney, and I appreciate that they've got a few other options in some places. If she gets sick of chicken strips, I'll share my meal with her.

If you really want to get upset about nutrition options for our children, check out the menu at your local schools. The ones here SUCK every single day. Just total crap. Many children are eating breakfast and lunch both at school and far exceeding the daily recommend amounts of sodium, fat, saturated fat, and sugar. Consider for a moment that they've done away with or seriously limited recess and PE at many schools and that even more of them sell junk food in vending machines or a la cart around the school, and it's not hard to see why American kids are fat.

You might be able to do more good channeling your energy into that than being upset by vacation fare.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:56 PM   #80
MaleficentandGoons
Mouseketeer

^ My post wasn't specifically about Disney it was about Kid menus everywhere. I also expressed my concern about school lunches way back too.
MaleficentandGoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 06:57 PM   #81
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by badblackpug View Post
Okay.... here is my perspective....It's vacation! i don't sweat the healthy eating thing (for myself or my kids) on vacation. I have very good eaters, and we eat healthy foods at home almost every day, so if they gorge on nuggets, burgers, fries , and ice cream for a week in DW, I'm not bothered. They know these foods are a treat, and they are part of being on vacation.

That's how it is here. I figure they aren't going to get heart disease, get obese or whatever else from one week of eating vacation crap. However, I do tell them no fries if they get hamburgers or chicken nuggets, so that they get the fruits and veggies as a side.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:06 PM   #82
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by badblackpug View Post
Okay.... here is my perspective....It's vacation! i don't sweat the healthy eating thing (for myself or my kids) on vacation. I have very good eaters, and we eat healthy foods at home almost every day, so if they gorge on nuggets, burgers, fries , and ice cream for a week in DW, I'm not bothered. They know these foods are a treat, and they are part of being on vacation.
I also feel that way when we go out to local restaurants too. If we were eating like this every day then it would be a bigger issue but since we arent I don't have a problem with the junk on the kids menus, and if I did I'd have my kids order something off the adult menu. The kid's menu is an option when you go out to eat, its not a requirement.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:11 PM   #83
dburg30
Ferb, I know what we're going to do today! Yes, I'm a middle aged guy that loves Disney

Meh, this country was founded on meat and taters.. The problem is that most people (myself included as I'm sitting behind a keyboard) dont 'DO' much anymore. Meat / Bread / Starch / Carbs etc etc arent really bad for you, within reason, but you cant just eat it and then go watch TV or play games. THAT'S the big problem.. Pretty sure corn dogs / french fries / hamburgers / big thick whole milk milkshakes all that 'junk' food has been around a LONG time..
Old 08-05-2010, 07:33 PM   #84
Magic Mom
EVERYONE has the God given right to a vacation here
I did have to go there
And the end reward is my in laws

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaleficentandGoons View Post
^ My post wasn't specifically about Disney it was about Kid menus everywhere. I also expressed my concern about school lunches way back too.
There are healthy choices almost everywhere, including school menus. It's up to you (in general) to make the choice...healthy or not healthy. I am fine with WDW and other places offering both not so healthy choices and healthy choices. Then I can make the choice for my family. We don't do chicken nuggets and corn dogs at home. So on vacation, I have no problem if DD wants to eat that junk. She understands balance and moderation (better than me).
Old 08-05-2010, 07:50 PM   #85
minnie4me
DIS Veteran

you know DCL had great kid meal options this time. There were the standard pizza and mac n cheese, but this was DS's (age 7) choices...
steak (thin sirloin w/ mash potatoes and a veggie)
grilled pork chop (w/ mash potatoes and a veggie)
turkey breast (w/ mash potatoes and a veggie)
he might have had chicken nuggets one night and I forget what else (DH said he had steak twice)
he did eat the potatoes the first two nights, but then lost interest and some veggies he ate, some he didn't...
and he tried different soups as his appetizers. they had more than mashed potatoes as an option, but he is not much of a starch eater.
I would love to see more options like these elsewhere...
we had DDP at WDW and at Narcoossee's (signature meal) he had a filet mignon, we eat that at home and it was worth the 2 credits.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:06 PM   #86
luckylady131
Mouseketeer

Interesting fact: you can get a MacDonald's hamburger and do better calorie/fat wise than eating several of their salad choices, let alone one of their salads with dressing!

Just because something "sounds" healthy, doesn't make it so. Sure broccoli is great for you. But not once it's drenched in butter, or covered in some afredo sauce, etc.

But the whole point of everyone's points is: you have to do what's right for your family. End of story. Judgement shouldn't be passed on the family who eats fast food 90% of the time, nor should it be passed on the family that gets all of their organic groceries from Central Market or WHole foods. Everyone's different...that's what makes all so special!
luckylady131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:20 PM   #87
PlanningNextTrip
Earning My Ears

I think we all had the same perspective as the OP when our children were still eating food from a jar. She will figure it out when she has her child sit at a table for over an hour with a plate of chicken, rice and steamed veggies and they don't eat anything. She will learn to pick her battles like the rest of us. Perhaps she should actually look at the kids menu at a look of places now. Even at McDonalds, a kids burger with sliced apples isin't a horrible meal.

I think that most of us have good intentions, but there aren't enough hours in the day for me to make sure that my son has eaten exactly what the daily recommendation for dairy, grains, proteins and fruits and veggies is.

(that being said, my son is a pretty healthy eater, but some days all i can get him to eat is dry cereal and bananas?!?)
PlanningNextTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:27 PM   #88
MickeyMomOfThree
DIS Veteran

I actually think lots of places (Disney included) have come a long way. My oldest was a eat everything BUT kids meal type kid, she still is, and we rarely could find good things for her to eat. She is almost 16. Now with my youngest there are always good options for her. We don't eat out often anyway, but when we do we see lots of options like never before. I think progress is being made.

Kids are funny though. All 3 of mine were raisied the smae. Still are. The rule is you have to try everything at dinner, you don't have to like it but you have to try it. My oldest, I don't think she has met a food yet she didn't like. From shark to asparagus, you name it, she likes it. (S like her dad, I am jealous!) My middle DD was all but vegitarian as a younger child. She had lead poisioning and getting her to eat what the doctor wanted to help it get out of her ssystem was all but impossible. There was one babyfood (she ws not a baby anymore) that she liked, it was organic squash, corn, chicken (I still remember) that was the only meat she would eat. So, we had to feed our young daughter babyfood but we did, and she recovered, and now she is 11 and a really great eater. Her favorite thing to eat is a veggie tray of cucumbers, red peppers, you name it. She eats very well, though not quite as adventurous as her big sister. Now my youngest used to eat anything and now while still a healthy eater, is more picky. She LOVES PB&J and eats one literally every day. She loves salads and fruits and most veggies but if she thinks something has an onion, forget it. (Though she eats them just about every meal and just doesn't know it. ) Oh, and along with PB&J she is addicted to bananas. She used to grab the whole bunch and hide and eat them all. Still does, just doesn't hide to do it. I asked the doctor if this was a problem and he said there are far worse things. Let it go.
I Always wanted A Family and Now I Have A Great One!!!! Many Trips As A Kid Made Me Want To Have Many Trips as A Mom --- Now I'm Doing Just That --- Thanks hubby For Great Kids, a Great Family, and GREAT DISNEY VACATIONS!!! Married 17 Years and Counting ...
**SOG 10/97**ASSp 2/00**ASMu 3/01** ASMo 11/02**ASMo 11/04**ASSp 11/06**ASSp 11/08**ASSp 11/10**And some off property trips mixed in**
**Dreaming of 11/12 Or sooner if we win the lottery before that! **

Don't be Grumpy , be Happy , even if it makes you a little Sleepy DQC

Please see the Hidden Mickey for Haiti thread
MickeyMomOfThree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:33 PM   #89
luckylady131
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanningNextTrip View Post
I think that most of us have good intentions, but there aren't enough hours in the day for me to make sure that my son has eaten exactly what the daily recommendation for dairy, grains, proteins and fruits and veggies is.
Precisely why mine drinks the V8 fusion juice!! At least I know she got a serving!
luckylady131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:14 PM   #90
pat fan
I'm leaving now so I don't have to witness what comes next

Quote:
I also expressed my concern about school lunches way back too.
NOOOOOO!!!!!Not more school lunch bashing!!!! As a manager of an elementary cafeteria, I try so hard to make things better than they used to be, and the general public opinion REFUSES to be swayed! Not my little school's families, but in general, and I know I shouldn't take people's comments (especially on a random bulletin board) personally, but hey, when I care like I do, it does seem personal. Sorry, off soap box now

"Sure I wave the American flag. Do you know a better flag to wave? Sure I love my country with all her faults. I'm not ashamed of that, never have been, never will be."
-- John Wayne
pat fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: