Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2010, 10:34 AM   #31
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaleficentandGoons View Post
Totally agree. You can buy a perdue whole chicken and have it cut up for about $10. Fry it yourself and know what's in it or spend 25 bucks for hormone ridden food.
FWIW, all chicken is hormone free by federal law. Purdue is simply touting something they are required to do anyway . Both Purdue and KFC's suppliers still feed their chickens antibiotics proactively with their feed even if they are not sick so they can remain healthy until they are slaughtered.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:38 AM   #32
MaleficentandGoons
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodifla View Post
I have a kid who likes the traditional kid menus. He's in the majority, luckily. Like many kids, that's currently how his taste buds are wired, and there's no rewiring them at this point. It will change down the road....I certainly eat things now that I never ate when I was a child.

But when Disney tried to make their kid meals more healthy, all they did was make them more awful and very repetitive.

So OP just spend a little more, and go to counter service places that offer a variety, and share. It's really not that difficult.
Taste buds wired? If you allow your kid eat only certain things how will they become adventurous eaters? I guess this is my other issue. Parents have let their kids become "picky" eaters. I know that if I didn't at least try dinner I was stuck with PBJ. So I became more open to eating things as a child. So now parents who have kids who like trying different foods are put in a situation where they are buying a full meal and will more than likely waste it because the portion is so big. Thus adding trash and playing a part in a wasteful cycle but I digress.

I'm not attacking you but my question is, if there were no other choices if he had to eat a REAL meal what would he do? How would you as a parent react would you encourage him to try a new item or would you search out the food item HE wants to eat?

I had girlfriend who for the longest time only ate chain food- food. We went to the Key's and she refused to eat at any of the local places because they weren't a Friday's or Olive Garden. Mid trip we left her at the hotel because we wanted to go to local places. She ate one meal alone, guess what next day she went out with us. Now granted we were 22 at the time but still! Her parents had allowed her to do this on all family vacations to the point that as an adult she was very boring when it came to dining.
MaleficentandGoons is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-05-2010, 10:39 AM   #33
MaleficentandGoons
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
FWIW, all chicken is hormone free by federal law. Purdue is simply touting something they are required to do anyway . Both Purdue and KFC's suppliers still feed their chickens antibiotics proactively with their feed even if they are not sick so they can remain healthy until they are slaughtered.
Perdue is antibotic free too.
MaleficentandGoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:45 AM   #34
Indiana Rose Lee
Baby Factory Extraordinaire! ;)

Quote:
Sorry Indiana but you are completely missing my point. This should not be the norm. As one poster said its because of money well I find it hard to beleive that in the long run with all the medical issues that eating these types of foods bring, that it is indeed cheaper. Obviously we as parents need to stop this from happening and say that it's not ok. I'll pay the extra 15 bucks if I know my child will be eating healthy food. Even school lunches have gone down the hill. My soapbox rant is that this food is not ok and than MAYBE if more of up stood up and shared or disgust things will change.
no, I have lived your point for 22 years. I now know that what I think has nothing to do with what other people do. I can rant about what junk people feed their kids, or better yet I can take a friend a nice basket of veggies. Or make tasty meals when people visit. I can choose grapes over French fries or not order chicken fingers to prove my point with the power of the dollar. I can donate produce to the women's shelter and foodbank. In my experience that is far more affective than a rant and soapbox where youbare either chastising the people who disagree or preaching to the choir. My opinion.
Indiana Rose Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:50 AM   #35
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Perdue is antibotic free too.
Are PERDUE® products antibiotic free?

Perdue does not use antibiotics for growth promotion in our chickens. We use antibiotics as directed by our company's team of veterinarians, all of whom are board-certified by the American College of Poultry Veterinarians. The antibiotics are used in stringent accordance with FDA and USDA guidelines. All PERDUE® products are free of harmful residues as determined by routine onsite USDA sampling.
Back To List
Old 08-05-2010, 10:52 AM   #36
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Quote:
When did the Kids Menu become such a let down. It's all High carb/bad food! Everything seems to be glorified Pizza and chicken fingers mainly. UGH! This frustrates me I understand people have "picky" eaters but what about those who aren't? Kids who want to try items on the adult menu but just need a smaller portion. When did the kids menu become the crap fried food menu?

With my two, I tend to order adult CS meals and have them share.

If on the DDP, you can substitute the dessert for a small salad. I know it's not a posted option but I had no issues on our last trip doing this at all.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:59 AM   #37
4HppyCamprs
DIS Veteran

We managed for find things that were not chicken nuggets and french fries for our last trip and we will do the same this trip. As for taste buds being hard wired it takes between 18 and 22 introductions of a new taste for a person to develop a taste for the item. We do the Disney Dining plan. We search the menus and I have no problem sharing my food with either of my children. My sons would rather have spinach raviolis instead of chef boyrde but then again I never "expected" them to want that type of food. I expected them to eat what we eat. The latest thing we introduced was smoked gouda..a few faces later my son declared he loves it now...Keep trying to introduce new foods they will eventually develope a taste...
09 ASMu 1st Visit! Grandma came too! Free dining 2010 POR 2nd Visit! Grandma is along for the ride! Free dining! 03/05-09/2012 POLY here we come!! We love Disney and Grandma does too! No dining plan and we loved it! DoubleTree DTD: 3/10-3/15/13 The whole gang! Best Trip yet! First Cruise: 1/6-1/10/14 Disney Magic. 2nd Cruise: 10/23-10/28/15 Disney Magic.
Me: Heather DH: DS #1 (11/04) DS #2 (2/09) DD (08/11) rincess:
4HppyCamprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:59 AM   #38
Billmel
DIS Veteran

Here is another issue...try feeding a 7 year old with Celiac (gluten allergy) at WDW counter service restaurants. TS is alot easier, but CS is almost impossible because of cross contaminations with the food.

Lots of fun. But this is a problem anywhere we take her, because she extremely sick if she gets gluten exposure.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:05 AM   #39
Bell30012
DIS Veteran

My daughter summed it up pretty well with a simple line; "But Daddy, the kid's menu sucks!" As for costs; If timed well you can do a buffet at a reasonable cost and really fill those tummies. Crystal Palace has excellent food with a good selection for the kids. I find that I really need a sit down, eat all you want meal late in the afternoon.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:08 AM   #40
PrincessTiffany
Is there anything better than Free Dining and Fastpasses?

Not sure what all the ranting is about in regard to WDW. We've been going as a family with young kids since 2004 and I've never had an issue finding a healthy food option for my kids at counter service or table service meals. There's not always a large variety of heathly foods, but there is ALWAYS at least one healthly choice. Plus, we are on vacation so I don't stress out about it too much. We have 2 really good, healthy eaters, 1 okay eater and 1 VERY picky eater, who by your definition, pretty much eats "crap" the whole time we are at Disney. At home I can prepare the few healthy things she will eat, but one or two weeks out of the year, on vacation, I'm just not going to worry about that. Quite frankly, if all 4 wanted to eat "crap" for a week at Disney, it probably wouldn't bother me. I mean it's few days out of the entire year. Of course, that hasn't happened, because as I stated, we've never really had an issue finding something decent for them to eat at WDW.
PrincessTiffany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 11:11 AM   #41
michael's mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Taste buds wired? If you allow your kid eat only certain things how will they become adventurous eaters? I guess this is my other issue. Parents have let their kids become "picky" eaters. I know that if I didn't at least try dinner I was stuck with PBJ. So I became more open to eating things as a child. So now parents who have kids who like trying different foods are put in a situation where they are buying a full meal and will more than likely waste it because the portion is so big. Thus adding trash and playing a part in a wasteful cycle but I digress.

I'm not attacking you but my question is, if there were no other choices if he had to eat a REAL meal what would he do? How would you as a parent react would you encourage him to try a new item or would you search out the food item HE wants to eat?

I had girlfriend who for the longest time only ate chain food- food. We went to the Key's and she refused to eat at any of the local places because they weren't a Friday's or Olive Garden. Mid trip we left her at the hotel because we wanted to go to local places. She ate one meal alone, guess what next day she went out with us. Now granted we were 22 at the time but still! Her parents had allowed her to do this on all family vacations to the point that as an adult she was very boring when it came to dining.
I can see that you have an infant at home who I assume is still either nursing or having bottles with solid foods being introduced. I certainly hope she is an adventurous eater so you won't know the struggles that us parents of picky eaters have.

I know the question wasn't directed at me, but I can tell you, as a parent of a very picky eater, it certainly isn't something "I allowed" and I hope you are aware that many parents try and try and keep trying to introduce new foods to their children, and that we're not all lazy about what we feed our kids. It took over 3 years for my son to put a piece of real meat into his mouth. And then, it was only chicken. It was another 6 months before he'd put a piece of beef or pork into his mouth. He still will not eat a vegetable. But, we give them to him anyway. They are always on his plate and we encourage him to eat them. But I will not force it down his throat either. We've spoken to his pediatrician about this concern many times and he has advised us to continue to introduce it to him but not force it. Between dr's appointments and conferences at school, we know DS has a slight sensory issue and certain textures bother him. Most of his sensory issues are oral (he hates having his teeth brushed, wouldn't eat food that had to really be chewed for a long time, etc.) Heck, he wouldn't touch play-doh until he saw how much the other kids liked it. So it really isn't a choice of ours that his meals are so limited and repetitive and there are a lot of parents with years of parenting experience that work hard everyday to feed their picky eaters as best as they possibly can. Nobody wants their kids to be overweight and unhealthy.

My son goes to school with fruit and a cheese stick most days for snack. I can tell you that he probably had a cookie in his lunchbox 1 or 2 days this whole year (he's in PK so no lunch). I have weight issues myself and it has been very important to my husband and me that my son eats healthily...but, his diet is very boring. Made up of mostly dairy. Yogurt for breakfast everyday, usually some sliced chicken and cheese for lunch (or a grilled cheese), and whatever we have for dinner (and now, he usually only eats the meat).

So we do our best to find healthy options that DS will eat and try to stay away from the junk food. But he's still picky and his menus are still boring and repetitive.

DH and I have opted against the DDP because we know DS won't even eat the traditional kids meals. We are driving and will be bringing food with us that we know will keep DS satisfied and regular

I can understand the frustration that those parents whose children are adventurous eaters have (and if you only have a 7 month old, you most likely don't really know what kind of eater your child is yet until real textures are introduced). I also agree that there should be a healthy choice on every CS menu everywhere for both adults and children. But, I think that the preaching style of many in this discussion to "us lazy parents of the so-called picky eaters" is inappropriate because for all you know, we're working harder to find healthy options for our kids than the parents whose kids will eat anything.

DH Me DS DD Chloe Louie
1980-1989 many times at Polynesian;1990, 1993, 1995, 1999, 2000, 2002 CBR;2004 CBR Honeymoon;2007 CBR Baby's 1st trip; 2009 Grand Gathering at POR;
2011 Wedding and Grand Gathering at our home...CBR Pirate style; 2013 CBR Baby's 1st trip
michael's mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 11:17 AM   #42
PrincessTiffany
Is there anything better than Free Dining and Fastpasses?

Quote:

So you have one child, under the age of one? Why don't you come back after you have a few more kids and little more experience under your belt before you judge some others on here so harshly.

I have 4 kids who have all been raised by the same two parents, in the same household, with the same rules. I have two kids who will pretty much eat anything you put in front of them, 1 that will try some new things, but not too adventurous and 1 child who is about as picky as they come. All kids are different and I've learned in my 14 years of parenting that some battles just aren't worth fighting. As my pediatritian told me, "she will eat when she's hungry and she will try new things when she feels like it. As long as she is heathy and is growing, don't worry about it." And you know what, I don't!
PrincessTiffany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 11:28 AM   #43
michael's mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessTiffany View Post
So you have one child, under the age of one? Why don't you come back after you have a few more kids and little more experience under your belt before you judge some others on here so harshly.

I have 4 kids who have all been raised by the same two parents, in the same household, with the same rules. I have two kids who will pretty much eat anything you put in front of them, 1 that will try some new things, but not too adventurous and 1 child who is about as picky as they come. All kids are different and I've learned in my 14 years of parenting that some battles just aren't worth fighting. As my pediatritian told me, "she will eat when she's hungry and she will try new things when she feels like it. As long as she is heathy and is growing, don't worry about it." And you know what, I don't!

DH Me DS DD Chloe Louie
1980-1989 many times at Polynesian;1990, 1993, 1995, 1999, 2000, 2002 CBR;2004 CBR Honeymoon;2007 CBR Baby's 1st trip; 2009 Grand Gathering at POR;
2011 Wedding and Grand Gathering at our home...CBR Pirate style; 2013 CBR Baby's 1st trip
michael's mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 11:37 AM   #44
Duckiedee
Mouseketeer

I have found with my girlie, and many of my friends' kids that they definitely go through 'picky' stages too. (Of course not comparing this to those with food issues of some kind.)

I don't care if she eats 'boring' at this point... so if she has to eat just carrots, cucumbers and beets (for example) as veggies; apples, bananas and grapes for fruit and chicken or beef, yogurt and cheese with and whole grain bread and cereal over and over - I don't really care... I just stock it!

I'm lucky she does eat a wider variety than what I've mentioned, but some times it seems like days will go by and she just wants the same thing.

I can see how it would be frustrating to parents whose picky eater will NOT eat the limited healthier choices on the menu and definitely feel for those kids who want a greater variety.

I agree with the PP you can't force food choices on a kid... I know we do the same, we put everything we eat on her plate and have her try it, after one bite she is free to leave the rest... I make sure she gets her nutrition with stuff she does like.

At home you don't have to force your kids and you can control not brining into the house anything you don't want them to eat. It's harder when out though as they can see what other people are eating and will question (or more likely rant (at five)) about HOW COME THEY have fries etc.

My DD had a bit of a meltdown the other day when I said no to a huge freezie at noon after I had allowed a sucker at ten in the morning (that she found from a treat bag she had been given two nights before) and after scrounging cheesies off a cousin an hour later.

But that's me... I don't expect anyone else to do it - and you notice that NONE of this food was offered by me... You have to roll with it a lot of the time... and you certainly can't BAN it (I think there would be a teen rebellion about that - undoing anything you try to teach) but better CS choices, less blatant advertising etc, WOULD make it easier.

Sorry OP if I am getting off topic - I LOVE talking healthy food and sharing ideas on family nutrition!
Duckiedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 11:41 AM   #45
Indiana Rose Lee
Baby Factory Extraordinaire! ;)

duckie, do you make baked beet chips for your little girl? I just heard about them a couple of months ago and we are going through tons!

and I will second the different kids different tastes. One of mine hates spicy foods out of a household of thai, mexican and indian food lovers. 2 hate cheese although there is no allergy or intolerance.
Indiana Rose Lee is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: