Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2010, 06:46 PM   #256
melancholywings
How do you prepare for a bank full of nuns?
'I'm thinking of a disney character'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckiedee View Post
Meloncholywings...

I get that from some people sometimes too...
Duckiedee thank you so much for your post. I was so very frustrated yesterday and your response really cheered me up. I guess I need to take a deep breath and embrace my 'weirdness'.
melancholywings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:14 PM   #257
C.Ann
We'll remember when...
No time for green bananas
When the going gets tough, she gets the Palmolive!!
If I knew we were going to be graded here, I might try harder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaleficentandGoons View Post
Sorry Indiana but you are completely missing my point. This should not be the norm. As one poster said its because of money well I find it hard to beleive that in the long run with all the medical issues that eating these types of foods bring, that it is indeed cheaper. Obviously we as parents need to stop this from happening and say that it's not ok. I'll pay the extra 15 bucks if I know my child will be eating healthy food. Even school lunches have gone down the hill. My soapbox rant is that this food is not ok and than MAYBE if more of up stood up and shared or disgust things will change.
The best way to accomplish this is to "speak with your wallet".. Don't go out to eat; don't patronize places that sell objectionable food; do not allow your kids to eat lunch in school; and when vacationing and you have to eat out, share from the adult menus..

As long as people pay for it, they will continue to sell it..
----------------------------------------

"I wrote your name in the sand,
but the waves washed it away.
I wrote your name in the sky,
but the wind blew it away.
So I wrote your name in my heart,
and that’s where it will stay.."

"We won't be sad, we'll be glad
for all the life we've had
and we'll remember when...."
C.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-11-2010, 09:38 PM   #258
MaleficentandGoons
Mouseketeer

Anyone else see this today?

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/MindMoo...&partner=yahoo
MaleficentandGoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:06 PM   #259
gr8mommy
Mouseketeer

What's your point in posting that? Not really sure what type of response you are looking for.

I'm sure that there is some biological component to 'picky' eating that continues after childhood. I'm one of the small segment of the population that thinks cilantro tastes like soap. So, I don't eat cilantro.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:13 PM   #260
MaleficentandGoons
Mouseketeer

Thought the timing of it being reported was funny, ironic...
MaleficentandGoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:37 PM   #261
Mandychelle79
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Her father and I!! For you to even say that...I won't even go there. The plate returns every meal time until she TRIES it. It's not a hard concept and I'm sure after a few times she will get the idea.
I once thought like you. Now I have meals that arent a power struggle. When I insisted that my kids try something they didnt want to try.. they would force themselves to gag ( to prove they didnt like it) and then proceed to vomit. Now I put the food on their plate. Tell them I would like them to take 2 bites of it, but if they dont I dont force it.

My kids eat healthy 95 percent of the time. When we go out or on vacation its a treat for them, therefore not a big deal to me if they dont eat healthy.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:13 AM   #262
Mouse House Mama
Luckiest Mommy in the World!!!
Hello-Buddy the Elf what's your favorite color?!
I wonder if they make pullups for adults
I was not the farter- I was the fartee

Here's my complaint with the WDW food choices for kids. Yes- they offer healthier options at most places. However the healthy options are often something that I as an adult won't even order. I don't want dried out grilled chicken or fish. My kids enjoy regular food that the adults get to chose from. I really wish they would offer smaller portions of the adult menu. I would even pay a little more for it. My kids eat food like salmon, crab cakes, steak etc. While the might like the junk offerings after a few days they are sick of it. Every kids menu is the same. We usually just share with them or order another meal. We also do a lot of buffets so they can get better food. (and we love the characters!)
Disney offers fruit and carrot sticks as an alternate but I can tell you by day 3 the kids are sick of grapes and carrots. As an adult I would not want to eat the same thing every day. Why on earth would kids? Besides the fact that they are both choking hazards! Can they not offer a banana? Maybe some strawberries and whipped cream? Something other than grapes and hard carrots. I feel like they went to extremes. They give a choice other than fries but the option is a weight watchers meal for toddlers. For this reason I don't think we will do the dining plan for a while. Unless we are doing all buffets it doesn't pay for us.
Thanks be to God for this indescribable gift....
WL Sept. 2004,Poly June 2005,Poly April 2006 with Grandma & Grandpa, Pop Aug. 2006, WL Dec. 2006, FW Cabins Feb. 2007,AllStar Music Jan. 2008, Poly Aug. 2008,Yacht Club Aug. 2009, Poly Aug. 2009, Pop Aug. 2011, Pop May 2012, All Star Music June 2013, Bonnet Creek July 2013
Mouse House Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 06:54 AM   #263
Bell30012
DIS Veteran

Mouse House Mama, that has been my side of this discussion all along. My kid likes to eat what I eat. There just isn't that many places that have similar choices on the menu.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:25 AM   #264
Indiana Rose Lee
Baby Factory Extraordinaire! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell30012 View Post
Mouse House Mama, that has been my side of this discussion all along. My kid likes to eat what I eat. There just isn't that many places that have similar choices on the menu.
If they want to eat what you eat, order it for them. Problem solved.

MHM, they sell bananas on the fruit stands, if you need one. I always pick one up and keep it with me for a quick carb if we need one.
Indiana Rose Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:17 AM   #265
gr8mommy
Mouseketeer

I think the point most of you keep missing is that kids' don't HAVE to order off the kids' menu, unless you're on the dining plan. If they want to eat what you're eating, share what you've got, and add a salad, soup or appetizer if you (or they) are still hungry. And even if you are on the DP, you can still pay OOP for something else.

The children's menu is there for picky kids who won't eat other stuff. Not to punish those who do.

Disney (and most other establishments) will not offer smaller sized portions of adult meals because it isn't cost effective. This is why most places don't allow adults to order off the kids' menu.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:44 AM   #266
Mouse House Mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Rose Lee View Post
If they want to eat what you eat, order it for them. Problem solved.

MHM, they sell bananas on the fruit stands, if you need one. I always pick one up and keep it with me for a quick carb if we need one.
I do pick them up but if we are having a sit down dinner I am not going to whip a banana out of my pocket. The only place that we have been to that had a decent kids meal with real fruit etc. was California Grill. We will go back there as my kids loved it. They had steak, salmon and tried some of my dh's ostrich. When I pay for the dining plan I just expect a better meal for my kids. Sorry but I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8mommy View Post
I think the point most of you keep missing is that kids' don't HAVE to order off the kids' menu, unless you're on the dining plan. If they want to eat what you're eating, share what you've got, and add a salad, soup or appetizer if you (or they) are still hungry. And even if you are on the DP, you can still pay OOP for something else.

The children's menu is there for picky kids who won't eat other stuff. Not to punish those who do.

Disney (and most other establishments) will not offer smaller sized portions of adult meals because it isn't cost effective. This is why most places don't allow adults to order off the kids' menu.
Well, if I pay for the dining plan they should be able to get something reasonable. A week of nuggets or hot dogs wrapped in pretzels is gross. This is why we probably won't do the dining plan anytime soon. While it can be a great value it isn't when you have to buy other food at every meal that isn't a buffet. If we were planning a week of buffets it would be worth it though.
Most places we eat at at home do have a much better child's menu.
WL Sept. 2004,Poly June 2005,Poly April 2006 with Grandma & Grandpa, Pop Aug. 2006, WL Dec. 2006, FW Cabins Feb. 2007,AllStar Music Jan. 2008, Poly Aug. 2008,Yacht Club Aug. 2009, Poly Aug. 2009, Pop Aug. 2011, Pop May 2012, All Star Music June 2013, Bonnet Creek July 2013
Old 08-12-2010, 09:14 AM   #267
gr8mommy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Well, if I pay for the dining plan they should be able to get something reasonable
The dining plan isn't mandatory, and in that case may not be the best idea for your family. If you like the 'prepay' option, put your food budget on a gift card to simplify things.

You also are not stuck using kid meal credits for mealtimes. Use them as fillers during the day, when you're too hungry for just an ice cream or an apple.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:25 AM   #268
Ava
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Interesting. I actually would agree that an adult with that extremely limited of a diet has some type of eating disorder, or obsessive-compulsive disorder.

Sept 2014 Trip Report - In Progress

1983 (age 3): Buena Vista Palace 1988: Fort Wilderness Cabin 1991: Offsite 1997: All-Star Music 2002: All-Star Music 2004: All-Star Movies
April 2006: All-Star Music May 2011: POP Century Sept 2014: Caribbean Beach Aug 2015: Art of Animation, Lion King Suite

Ava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:16 AM   #269
Mouse House Mama

Quote:
The dining plan isn't mandatory, and in that case may not be the best idea for your family. If you like the 'prepay' option, put your food budget on a gift card to simplify things.

You also are not stuck using kid meal credits for mealtimes. Use them as fillers during the day, when you're too hungry for just an ice cream or an apple.
I know it is not mandatory. My point though is that if you don't research all the meals and just book it like most people do you are expecting better meals.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:47 AM   #270
bicker
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yes, well-put. This is an important insight that folks visiting WDW really need to understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse House Mama View Post
My point though is that if you don't research all the meals and just book it like most people do you are expecting better meals.
If you buy something without researching it then you deserve to be surprised.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: