Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2010, 11:38 AM   #211
PSULion
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell30012 View Post
What if Disney's kid's menu was to offer smaller portions of the three or four things on the adult menu... then allow the kids to pick two items from six choices and a drink?
Then adults would order kid's meals instead of more expensive adult meals and Disney would lose money. Not good business.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:41 AM   #212
Ava
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8mommy View Post
A very wise physician friend told me when my first child was born that there are two things parents CAN NOT control----what a child eats, and their elimination. Parents will not win in table or toilet battles.
This is probably the best advice ever for new parents. They should put it on the first page of the handbook in 72pt. font.

My DD is 15 months old & she definitely has opinions about what she likes & doesn't like to eat. And sometimes those preferences are... odd. For example, she likes pesto - homemade, garlicy pesto. But she does not like mashed potatoes. She likes roasted potatoes, and french fries, but not mashed potatoes. I know, weird kid. Since she's still young & toddlers can change their minds daily, we do still offer her mashed potatoes if we're eating them. But so far she doesn't like them. There are days when all she will eat for lunch is a handful of frozen peas - we figure she'll eat when she's hungry & try not to worry about it too much.

Anyway, back to the kids' menus at WDW... nuggets anyone?

Sept 2014 Trip Report - In Progress

1983 (age 3): Buena Vista Palace 1988: Fort Wilderness Cabin 1991: Offsite 1997: All-Star Music 2002: All-Star Music 2004: All-Star Movies
April 2006: All-Star Music May 2011: POP Century Sept 2014: Caribbean Beach Aug 2015: Art of Animation, Lion King Suite

Ava is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-10-2010, 11:46 AM   #213
mirandaperez10
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ava View Post
This is probably the best advice ever for new parents. They should put it on the first page of the handbook in 72pt. font.

My DD is 15 months old & she definitely has opinions about what she likes & doesn't like to eat. And sometimes those preferences are... odd. For example, she likes pesto - homemade, garlicy pesto. But she does not like mashed potatoes. She likes roasted potatoes, and french fries, but not mashed potatoes. I know, weird kid. Since she's still young & toddlers can change their minds daily, we do still offer her mashed potatoes if we're eating them. But so far she doesn't like them. There are days when all she will eat for lunch is a handful of frozen peas - we figure she'll eat when she's hungry & try not to worry about it too much.

Anyway, back to the kids' menus at WDW... nuggets anyone?
amen, i don't have any kids yet but i will have to remember that one!
Old 08-10-2010, 12:36 PM   #214
bicker
DIS Veteran

Quote:
What if Disney's kid's menu was to offer smaller portions of the three or four things on the adult menu...
Folks have already addressed why this is impractical, a few times in this thread.

Quote:
I wonder how many people won't do the DDP because of the limitations of the kid's menus?
I suspect it is an insignificant amount of guests. Even if it was a significant number, I doubt it really matters much, because the most price-sensitive consumers are typically the lowest-margin consumers.

Quote:
We did do the DxDP one year where we abused all the table service restaurants on property but that was just too much food and too much time taken up with three TS per day.
"Abused" is one reason why I suspect that Disney is seeing less and less value in offering the Dining Plan.

Quote:
My complaint really is that the whole family can't choose the same type of items.
Sure they can. Just have everyone order off the regular menu.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 01:29 PM   #215
Bell30012
DIS Veteran

When I say we abused the DxDP, I paid $90+ per night for the two of us to eat so we did more TS meals than we normally would. I daresay there is no way we consumed $90 worth of food per day, although I believe we may have tried a couple of times.

I agree Disney has the right to put whatever on their menus they wish and will continue to do so. I like other parents will purchase one adult meal and share that with my child which costs Disney money. Two adult meals between us is too much food and would either result in waste or waist (on me). However, if there were decent kid's meals available I'd be purchasing the DDP which would mean Disney would get even more of my dollars in their coffers.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:48 PM   #216
bicker
DIS Veteran

And if all families with young children would do that, perhaps things would begin to change. Unfortunately, I don't think there is anyway to get everyone on-board for things like this. As you can tell from my signature, I'm a vegetarian, so I deliberately avoid restaurants that do not do a good job offering vegetarian meals. I know that if many diners shared my priority, then more restaurants would improve their vegetarian offerings. And I have seen some small amount of movement in that direction, because (1) most vegetarians do as I do; and (2) even a lot of animal-eating families are making similar decisions.

I think your predicament is even worse than mine, because (as I indicated) I can count on, at least, most (though not all) other vegetarians to do as I do, and even some animal-eating families. With families with young children, I think you'll end up with a lot more of you not getting on-board with the changes you'd like to see made, and so a lot of them will continue to patronize (and therefore reward) the restaurants that don't change the way you'd like them to change. And, of course, families without young children probably won't pay very much attention to this issue at all.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:46 PM   #217
scrapquitler
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancyg56 View Post
ITA I think that even theme parks could offer healthy options but I do nto feel that it should be a "mandate". I also think that folks should buy what they want and if the children's menu does not offer what you want do not use that portion of the menu.

Here's the thing: If serving healthier choices was a PROFITABLE thing to do, then Disney ( and other theme parks, restaurants, etc) would do it.

If those items are on the menu and don't sell in a high enough volume to make it worth keeping them in stock, then they won't stay on the menu. No restaurant is going to keep 10 different menu items on the menu if they don't sell. That's just a fact of supply and demand.

If BBQ Tofu Burgers were in high demand, Disney would probably do some test marketing of them. If the test marketing showed that the item would be profitable, then they would add it to the menu. If that item sold well, then it would stay on the menu. IF those BBQ Tofu Burgers were sitting in the kitchen and weren't selling, they'd be removed from the items.

Obviously the items on the menu, regardless of how healthy or unhealthy they are are the times that people BUY. If you go in the restaurant and you don't like that item, order something from the adult menu and pay OOP for it.
scrapquitler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:49 PM   #218
jodifla

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaleficentandGoons View Post
My point's aren't changing I'm just adding to them.
I'm pretty sure I answered the "if she says no" question but I will repeat: Sitting at the table till she tries it. Am I supposed to give in to her every "NO", no but there will be a balance. Can I control everything, NO but for the first few years I'm 95% in control of what comes in and out of her life so yes I'm going to take advantage of it. When shes older all I can do is hope that DH and I placed a solid foundation and she will make the right choices.

I don't assume anything I'm just stating how it was in my parents homes and many of my friends parents homes and how it will be in mine. There's not way around the fact that many times parents give in and give up. To think that's judging someone is not true.
As for camp, I don't really care what the kids do in the long run. They have nannies and parents and therapist that can deal with them the other 48 weeks in the year.
You are being naive and unrealistic. Your daughter has the control, not you. Toddlers start rejecting food around 1 years old, oftentimes. Google around...you'll find lots of doctors talking about it. It's natural.

And I clearly recall a conversation with a mom about her 4 year old who was a good eater, then juts started dropping foods.

Your "good old days" weren't really so good. Lots of eating disorders came this kind of force. I clearly remember being forced to eat some foods, and thinking I'd never do it to any child of mine.

And I don't.

My mother was wrong to force me, but that was the "in" thing to do those days: Show 'em who's boss! Guess what? I'm the boss of what I eat. I STILL don't like the liver she was trying to make me gag down. But I do like all sorts of foods now, and there's a small list of things I won't eat.
jodifla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 03:18 PM   #219
Nancyg56
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapquitler View Post
Here's the thing: If serving healthier choices was a PROFITABLE thing to do, then Disney ( and other theme parks, restaurants, etc) would do it.

If those items are on the menu and don't sell in a high enough volume to make it worth keeping them in stock, then they won't stay on the menu. No restaurant is going to keep 10 different menu items on the menu if they don't sell. That's just a fact of supply and demand.

Obviously the items on the menu, regardless of how healthy or unhealthy they are are the times that people BUY. If you go in the restaurant and you don't like that item, order something from the adult menu and pay OOP for it.
Oh I absolutely agree. I think that the reason nuggets, fries and burgers are the backbone of children's menus is becaues that is what people will purchase. We always offer DGD an entree on the adult menu if she does nto want the dishes on teh child menu. Lately she wants the mac and cheese.....her Mom does not give her this kind of thing at home anymore so the burgers and fries are treats.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:29 PM   #220
Indiana Rose Lee
Baby Factory Extraordinaire! ;)

Ok, well that is a start. What happens when she tries something, and doesn't like it? Will you fix something else, send her to bed hungry, what will be the msg you want to send? If you have a 'pleaser" your way may work just fine. What you will be raising, though, will be a little codependent. At 15, that is an invitation to not saying "no" even if she feels "no."

Or you may have a child with "spirit" who will sit there 24 hours to avoid a bite of liver. (Had that been a situaton in my life, that would have been my choice, lol. -even though I tend toward being a pleaser-I cannot even stand the smell of it!) This child, if pushed to the extreme by a control freak will be sneaking out the window to pressure some guy, lol. j/k. I think it is obvious what the potential is.

Parents, even perfect parents of perfect children (the anorexics in the crowd) need to realize that kids are different, and that some have strong tastes that can't be changed at the parent's rate. My painter (who was a PhD student) was "potty trained" like a dog, and forced to eat whatever was placed in front of him. He grew up to be a hamburger helper, no veggie eater. I know this because I stocked the house when he dog sat for us. He also still remembers having his nose rubbed in "it" and choosing not to potty for 2 weeks, putting himself into the hospital at 2 1/2.

You do have 95% control right now. I would suggest you use your power gently. And realize that grace is a good thing. At least if you believe in any sort of karma or reaping what you are sowing. You may need to lean on some of those terrible parents when you hit a wall, or the world doesn't turn out quite the way you believe it should.

Maybe you don't get that your post wreaks of entitlement and judgment. No one is entitled to specific foods at a theme park. Simple enough. And I've already addressed the judgment issues.

Last edited by Indiana Rose Lee; 08-10-2010 at 05:12 PM.
Indiana Rose Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 04:42 PM   #221
Duckiedee
Mouseketeer

Although I do agree with the posters that you can't force a kid to eat anything... I do think you can absolutely steer a child in the right direction.

We do eat really healthy for the most part in our home... very clean probably 85 to 90% of the time. I am only a quasi-freak about it (depends on where you are on the spectrum as to whether you think I'm a complete freak!!!), but I am the type of healthy eater, cook, that I often have friends and family ask me nutrition, recipe advice - for what that's worth!

I do believe in moderation, and if we are at a friend's house and hotdogs are on the menu, for example, we have one, in fact we've even been known to grill them at our own home! LOL.

That said, you can totally control the type of food your kiddos are eating the majority of the time even if you can't control exactly what they eat.

For example, my DD will come and say she's hungry for a snack - she'll get two or three choices from me... for example, you can have an apple, some grapes or celery with PB and raisins (which she loves). I do pick stuff she likes, but I base it on the food group she needs at that time.

If she whines she wants ice cream (which isn't it amazing we can have a 'fight' about it and sorry, it's just NOT in the house at the moment! LOL) or even cheese and she just recently had cheese and no fruit or veggies, in recent hours... well, Love, you're hungry, do you want celery, apples or grapes? "Cheese is off the menu right now," I'll say. If begging or whining ensues she is asked to leave the kitchen and return when she decides between apples, grapes and celery. End story.

Although you can't force children to eat, you can choose what is there to offer. And they learn that they get choices, you talk to them about healthy food, strong bones, faster bike riding or whatever they love and how it is affected. They learn. And you respect when they truly DON'T like something. (Minus the preschool/toddler stage of like it, don't like it, like it, don't like it! LOL. Then you put in on the plate and say a little prayer.)

You can make sure everything at your table is healthy and you feel comfortable with them grazing on everything there. I don't think food should be a big deal, it is fuel for your body, therefore it doesn't have to be a battlefield. We are matter-of-fact about it. Make sure there are choices she likes and nicely ask her to try new things, more than once.

If you condition their tastebuds by the majority of what they get, it helps. Today, she was at a friend's house for a party and got a red popsicle when they were handed out, the other food SHE chose was all healthy and she's gotten to the point where she will claim she likes boxed mac and cheese, but she eats two bites.

Obviously, if you have kiddos who have medical food issues it is a whole other ball of wax.

What I find alarming is how often I see parents of LEETLE kids go from leftover cheesies for breakfast, followed by a popsicle, Koolaid for lunch and a few nuggets (although some nuggets like Jane's ARE not that bad), then move onto cookies and pop, a cheesestring, half an iced cappuccino ('cause caffiene isn't THAT bad)... don't eat at supper except for maybe some white bread because they've gorged on CRAP all day, and then are given Fruit loops before bed because "HEY!" they have WHOLE GRAINS now!!!! (A whole 1g of fibre DOES NOT equal a serving of whole grains - that my friends is called GREAT MARKETING! LOL!) NO WATER, NO WHOLE GRAINS, NO substantial, not a nugget, PROTEIN and VEGGIES OR FRUIT - well what are they????!!!! And they have NO CLUE why thier kid doesn't nap, or go to sleep at night and why they are so overactive. Now this is a minority to see it this bad, at least out of the families we know, but we see it waaaay too often.

Feeding kids is hard work... it is a challenge and it goes from meal to meal, sometimes you figure they exist on lint and air, and other times you wonder how your 18 month old possibly downed a bagel and a half in less than 20 mins!!! But you can't give up.

There is ALWAYS something going on these days and it can become too easy to realize your kiddo has only had the option of pizza, hotdogs and pancakes for a weekend. It is a trap - and I find myself bringing fruits and veggies, hummus, dried edamame, chicken for the grill and big green salads to parties and outings all the time... funny thing is the kids will DEVOUR a fruit tray in minutes.

I find parents often working to get a child to eat cake at a party, who clearly doesn't want it. Hello? And the same parents will automatically say "He won't like spinach." Without him even trying it because he doesn't like peas. Oookay.

Make sure he eats that cake though - 'cause kids are SUPPOSED to like cake!!!! I'm the evil mom who doesn't mention they're serving cake to my kiddo - and you know what - she's none the wiser!! If she asks for it, she gets a tiny slice, usually a quarter of what is being served and then ends up leaving half of it on her plate. YAY!!!!!!!!

...anyways - my passion gets away from me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I apologize as I am again on a food tangent! (Warning: Do not open food threads and not expect to see my blah, blah, blah - feel free to gloss over or completely skip it!)

It would be FABULOUS if there were more variety at places, especially if you are in the park for over 10 days like we choose to be. One or two days of 'vacation food' are fine, but man, I don't know about you, but by day three of CS and I would be feeling gross and bloated.

We really think the DxDP is good value for us, And TS is our way to go for variety. I kinda wish EVERYONE in a room didn't need to get the plan... Honestly I think if DH and I could just order, we'd have enough for three. But, what do you do, we still think that 'as is' it is a better choice for our family.

That said, a healthy breakfast is on the menu in our room most days, (to allow for some 2 TS credit meals) we've tried to pick places with variety, we WILL eat at least some yummy 'crap', and I'm positive she will eat off my plate at times. It sucks when we don't always get our way, but it's life and we'll plan for work around it so it works for our family.

I do believe more and more people are eating healthier and are slowly getting away from the processed boxed foods so many of us grew up on the more we learn. I think menus will change to reflect this over time the more often the items are purchased. And in the meantime, I continue to think you CAN get a restaurant to tweak many items in how they are prepared to fit what you think is your version of food happiness - just be nice and tip accordingly!!!!!
Duckiedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:19 PM   #222
Indiana Rose Lee

Duckiedee are you a Tosca Reno fan?

My oldest is 23 years old, and we have spent all that time eating about 80% whole food, organic. I love all of the options now, vs. 20 years ago. There are so many more options. My kids all love a varied diet, although not all of them like the same things.

That said, I think that people forget that Disney is just a theme park trying to make a quick and easy buck! People are lining up for their cheap food.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:56 PM   #223
Duckiedee
Mouseketeer

Indiana - you guessed right! Might have seen it on another post. LOL. Dr. Gabe Mirkin has similar and also excellent info... I've been following a lot of his advice since about 1999. That said, I was a huge proponent of much of what she has to say before I ever heard of her - I really like her opinion and many of her tips have given me direction on implementing it. I find her very inspirational.

And I agree, it is getting easier and easier to find choices. Woot!!! It makes me SO excited when I can get stuff in my grocery store that I couldn't get except in a health food store prior.

I agree, a lot of people DO choose cheap and easy food over quaility nutrition (although it doesn't HAVE to be super expensive) and it is easier for restaurants to prepare similar foods (i.e. fryer) which also cuts down on prep costs etc. I am very glad there are at lease SOME options. And if she has to eat carrots and grapes a whole lot - well, it's better than eating french fries a whole lot KWIM?

Ever tried Kale chips??? Very yum... google that if you like beet chips!
Duckiedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:10 PM   #224
melancholywings
How do you prepare for a bank full of nuns?
'I'm thinking of a disney character'

This thread is crazy because it's still going. Lol.

I don’t want to go back defending why I’d love Disney to offer healthier choices. Sometimes people can get hostile or take it personal when someone else wants to eat healthy or try and live a better lifestyle. I post ‘the menus are crappy I wish they offered more variety and healthier options’ and in response have been called a ‘whiner and complainer’, and various other snarky shenanigans. My DD can read labels – it’s not a lifestyle choice but a medical necessity. She has occasionally been mocked and teased by well meaning adults because of it. I don’t care what other people eat - I'm not going to judge you for it. I just wish socially it was more acceptable to want to eat better. As good nutrition shouldn't really be that big of a deal.
melancholywings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:13 PM   #225
Indiana Rose Lee

Lol, loved beet chips. Will google Kale. I just got the Family cookbook. I need some variety. I get bored cooking the same stuff over and over! I was having a deja vu feeling!

While I agree that more people are eating better, I think there is a bigger gulf between those who do and those who, imo, don't. Too many people think that a sandwich on white bread, a bag of chips, a cookie, and a drink made of sugar, color and water is a healthy lunch, and an example of "moderation." It feels like an uphill battle sometimes. Funny thing is that if the OP had left out Disney, and the know it all condemnation of all those parents, I'd probably be agreeing with her.

Eta: I would not agree with trying to control the child, either

Last edited by Indiana Rose Lee; 08-10-2010 at 07:17 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: