Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2010, 07:13 AM   #196
MaleficentandGoons
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancyg56 View Post
Actually the price is the point. If you look at the cost of the DDP for children it is less than $12 per day. If you increase the price you will please a number of fo;ls but I believe that the majority would be complaining that now they are not able to purchase the plan. Their kids only eat nuggets and fries......why pay more for burgers to appease those families whose children eat steak? Increase the price of the children's menu and there will be an outcry that the cost is too much for a child's pizza or for mac and cheese ane that is all Little Johnny eats so why pay for halibut? I believe that Disney along with a multitude of additional restaurants responded to how much patrons will pay for a child. Those who are willing to pay more will simply order off of the adult menu or will manage to include an appetizer to stretch an adult entree.
opps i meant for us. I agree though, little Johnny has ruined everything.
MaleficentandGoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:23 AM   #197
Indiana Rose Lee
Baby Factory Extraordinaire! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaleficentandGoons View Post
Huge potential to blow up in my face? Why because I'm not letting my child control my house? She is the child and I'm the parent. She is subject to OUR will. I'm not going to force feed her and OBVIOUS if there is something she truely doesn't like i'm not going to force her to eat it. It's about setting a level of control as a parent and like previous poster said, picking your battles. I also only have one child so it will be a bit "easier" for me to control the situation because I don't have to deal with 2 or 3 other kids and what they may enjoy too.
You seem to have taken this personally. If you read some post I'm not the only one that feels like sometimes people give up.
Personal, no. It is merely a conversation on a msg. board to fill the time. You won't always be able to control your daughter. I've seen it tried. You have never addressed the question of what you will do when she says "no." Stuff it down her throat? Or do you really believe she will always do and like everything you tell her to do and like? Whether you have one or five, you still can't control everything. Parents who try to are my big money maker, lol.

You sit in judgment of people when you haven't walked in their shoes. You imply that your way of parenting would solve the problems of diet, and health in america. You assume people don't try. You assume that you know more about parenting...Not cool. People have given real life examples of the "whys" and possible reasons for what you have seen and experienced in your little camp example, but you ignore it all.

As for the food at the parks, your points keep changing. Now it is the size of adult portions, lol.Use your money to speak. Don't go if you don't want to. Don't buy kid's meals if you don't like. No one is twisting your arm or holding a gun to your head.

Last edited by Indiana Rose Lee; 08-10-2010 at 07:29 AM.
Indiana Rose Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-10-2010, 07:37 AM   #198
Nancyg56
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I agree though, little Johnny has ruined everything.
Indeed he has
Old 08-10-2010, 08:03 AM   #199
MaleficentandGoons
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Rose Lee View Post
Personal, no. It is merely a conversation on a msg. board to fill the time. You won't always be able to control your daughter. I've seen it tried. You have never addressed the question of what you will do when she says "no." Stuff it down her throat? Or do you really believe she will always do and like everything you tell her to do and like? Whether you have one or five, you still can't control everything. Parents who try to are my big money maker, lol.

You sit in judgment of people when you haven't walked in their shoes. You imply that your way of parenting would solve the problems of diet, and health in america. You assume people don't try. You assume that you know more about parenting...Not cool. People have given real life examples of the "whys" and possible reasons for what you have seen and experienced in your little camp example, but you ignore it all.

As for the food at the parks, your points keep changing. Now it is the size of adult portions, lol.Use your money to speak. Don't go if you don't want to. Don't buy kid's meals if you don't like. No one is twisting your arm or holding a gun to your head.
My point's aren't changing I'm just adding to them.
I'm pretty sure I answered the "if she says no" question but I will repeat: Sitting at the table till she tries it. Am I supposed to give in to her every "NO", no but there will be a balance. Can I control everything, NO but for the first few years I'm 95% in control of what comes in and out of her life so yes I'm going to take advantage of it. When shes older all I can do is hope that DH and I placed a solid foundation and she will make the right choices.

I don't assume anything I'm just stating how it was in my parents homes and many of my friends parents homes and how it will be in mine. There's not way around the fact that many times parents give in and give up. To think that's judging someone is not true.
As for camp, I don't really care what the kids do in the long run. They have nannies and parents and therapist that can deal with them the other 48 weeks in the year.
MaleficentandGoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:11 AM   #200
kimmyann
DIS Veteran

I read most (not all) of the posts on this topic. When we went last year we had the QSDP and there are healthy options on the kids menu's. I have three kids, my girls will eat just about anything and my youngest girl even prefers veggies over junk food or fruit. My son, well, that is a whole different story, he is EXTREMELY picky and yes he prefers chicken nuggets & fries. I gave up long ago on him, if I tried to make him eat something he did not like, he would starve...really. The Dr. finally told me not to worry about it and let him eat what he will eat. My son was underweight then and still is, it's just who he is and I have learned to accept that. Not all children are the same. Period.

I see the bigger problems with kids & obesity is total lack of self control. Why do we need to constantly eat? Yes, everything is out there and easliy accesible, but you choose to stop and get that big mac or get that happy meal for your kid, no one else. Why can't they wait you wait until you get home and fix something better? Because we are lazy and are lacking self control. Truth can hurt. I am totally not pointing at anyone, I myself have said to my DH "I don't feel like cooking, can you run to Wendy's?" It's easier sometimes.

Now, hate to bring this up, but saw something about school lunches. I know for a fact that something needs to be done. I had lunch with my DD a couple of times last year and was amazed at what these kids are eating everyday. They were having nachos, the child in front of us was allowed to only get the bag of chips (no meat, rice, veggies, fruit), ice cream and milk, that was his lunch. They should have to atleast have one veggie on the tray. Most all of the food is processed (just like any restaurant) and do kids really need to have Pizza Hut for lunch once a week? That's what is going on in my kids schools. What is bad is parents are not there to choose, the kids are in control and they really can't make the right decision, so unless your child takes lunch, you may really do not know what they are eating at school.

I'm just saying, there are healthy choices on the menu's, but only you can choose what is right for your kids. Two of mine choose healthy, one not, so yes I benefit from the unhealthy choices and would like them to stay. I manage to be sneaky enough that the boy is still alive today.

Kim

2007(June)- HoJo Maingate East. Our first & cheapest trip to Orlando. Platinum Pass holders for Busch parks. Seaworld and BGT.
2009(June)- Disney. Port Orleans French Quarter.
2010(June)- The Palms Hotel & Villas. Seaworld, Aquatica, BGT & Clearwater beach.
2011(June)-Quality Suites LBV. Seaworld, Aquatica, BGT & Wonderworks.
2013(May)- RPR & Comfort Suites Maingate East. Universal, Seaworld & who knows what else.
kimmyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:59 AM   #201
Bell30012
DIS Veteran

Since you brought up school lunches, I have to say it... Even my daughter's school has more options on the menu than a Counter Service restaurant at WDW. I eat at my 7-year-old's school often and I love it. In the morning they poll the kids to find out what entrees to prepare. The child is given the tray with the entree on it then they must select two side items, one desert and one drink. Those two sides can be the same if they want. There are always several sides ready. It is sort of like choosing from grapes and carrots except they add other decisions. *Note* All hot food is prepared on site then pre-packaged before lunchtime. The fruit came from a can.

Sometimes my child wants the same thing Daddy is having. Backlot Express doesn't have a hot dog on the kid's menu. As a matter of fact no Counter Service restaurant in the Hollywood Studios has a hot dog on the kid's menu.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:13 AM   #202
kimmyann
DIS Veteran

BELL30012, I wish our school system would do this. They have two choices a day and it is all processed, they even say on the menu "Tyson chicken nuggets". They do offer two side choices (veggies) and fruit, but the kids don't have to take any of it.

2007(June)- HoJo Maingate East. Our first & cheapest trip to Orlando. Platinum Pass holders for Busch parks. Seaworld and BGT.
2009(June)- Disney. Port Orleans French Quarter.
2010(June)- The Palms Hotel & Villas. Seaworld, Aquatica, BGT & Clearwater beach.
2011(June)-Quality Suites LBV. Seaworld, Aquatica, BGT & Wonderworks.
2013(May)- RPR & Comfort Suites Maingate East. Universal, Seaworld & who knows what else.
kimmyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:14 AM   #203
Indiana Rose Lee

Eh, school lunches are mandated to have certain choices. And paid to do so. And feed children 180 days a year. How is that in any way related to theme park food?

As far as your daughter (who is adorable) there are plenty of things I would like to eat that aren't available everywhere. I'd just split the hotdog, personally. No one needs a whole one! Ick, lol.

Last edited by Indiana Rose Lee; 08-10-2010 at 09:21 AM.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:20 AM   #204
bicker
DIS Veteran

Good point... The linkage is a bit like saying that everyone should be taxed to subsidize vacation destinations everywhere offering yet-even more child meal options. In reality, Disney is already subsidizing child meal options to the extent that they are being offered. Taxation to provide yet-even more works when you're talking about a municipal service, perhaps, but when you're talking about a mass-market consumer service, what consumers reward suppliers for best is what prevails.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:58 AM   #205
gr8mommy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Sitting at the table till she tries it
Really? And when she'd rather sit there than eat it, to show you who is in control, what will you do? When she'd rather go straight to bed that eat it, will you give it to her the next morning? Then what?

I have one that was an extremely picky preschooler who will now eat anything slow enough for him to catch; one preschooler who has never known the meaning of picky; and one entering 4th grade who is the pickiest kids you can imagine. Honestly, 100% pure grape juice is the only fruit she consumes.

A very wise physician friend told me when my first child was born that there are two things parents CAN NOT control----what a child eats, and their elimination. Parents will not win in table or toilet battles. You can control their choices----so yes, give them healthy choices. Which leads back to the choices at a theme park.

If you don't like the choices on the children's menu at WDW, there are several things to do:

1) write to Disney about your concerns
2) don't give Disney your business
3) bring your own food for your child
4) buy an adult meal to share with her

It really isn't rocket science.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:16 AM   #206
Indiana Rose Lee

You hit the nail in the head, gr8t. You cannot
force a child to eat and keep it down, lol. I've seen kids put it in and puke it out far too often.

I remember my amazement when one of my own told me
"no" for the first time. Even if a parent could parent perfectly there are no guarantees about how our chdren will fare, because each of us has the power of choice.

I absolutely think that healthy food shoul be available for every kid on this planet. I work to eduacate parents, and institutions that healthy food makes for children who can make better choices. But I do not ever assume (probably because of age and experience) that my way is the only way!

Nor do I think that general health has any place in a theme park. At least not since they closed that exhibit in epcot. People have the ability to buy or take whatever their child needs or wants (even if it is a giant hotdog!)
Old 08-10-2010, 10:25 AM   #207
mirandaperez10
Earning My Ears

that lunch really doesnt look appetizing!!!
Old 08-10-2010, 10:28 AM   #208
Nancyg56
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Rose Lee View Post
I absolutely think that healthy food shoul be available for every kid on this planet. I work to eduacate parents, and institutions that healthy food makes for children who can make better choices. But I do not ever assume (probably because of age and experience) that my way is the only way!

Nor do I think that general health has any place in a theme park. At least not since they closed that exhibit in epcot. People have the ability to buy or take whatever their child needs or wants (even if it is a giant hotdog!)

ITA I think that even theme parks could offer healthy options but I do nto feel that it should be a "mandate". I also think that folks should buy what they want and if the children's menu does not offer what you want do not use that portion of the menu.

I liked when restaurants could accomodate my DGD's food allergy but I never thought that any were required. If the only food she could have was on the adult side so be it. When we are vacationing and she wanted to try a turkey leg we bought one. Too big for her but someone else helped her to finish, we never expected the cart to have mini legs to accomodate one small child.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:28 AM   #209
Bell30012
DIS Veteran

What if Disney's kid's menu was to offer smaller portions of the three or four things on the adult menu... then allow the kids to pick two items from six choices and a drink?

I wonder how many people won't do the DDP because of the limitations of the kid's menus? We did do the DxDP one year where we abused all the table service restaurants on property but that was just too much food and too much time taken up with three TS per day.

My complaint really is that the whole family can't choose the same type of items. When you go to McDonald's the kid's menu has hamburger, cheeseburger or chicken nuggets. The adult menu has larger versions of the same thing. When I go to Red Lobster, the child's menu has shrimp, fish, chicken nuggets, mac & cheese, etc. Just like the adult menu.

Wouldn't it be odd to go to a restaurant where the adult choices were chicken, ribs, burgers, hot dogs... Then the kid's choices were chicken nuggets, PB&J or Turkey sandwich... Oh wait, that is Cosmic Ray's menu.

What about a BBQ restaurant where the adults eat ribs, half a chicken or pork sandwich but the kids eat baked chicken drumstick or hot dog. Oh wait, that is Flame Tree BBQ.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:36 AM   #210
PrincessTiffany
Is there anything better than Free Dining and Fastpasses?

Quote:
Huge potential to blow up in my face? Why because I'm not letting my child control my house? She is the child and I'm the parent. She is subject to OUR will.
Good luck with that.
PrincessTiffany is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: