Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2010, 12:10 PM   #136
bicker
DIS Veteran

The greatest power a consumer has is their decision to refuse offers made; to do without something rather than ratify what is being offered by just living with it.

I think the quandary, though, is a lot of people simply don't want to "do without Walt Disney World" (because it is either exceedingly difficult or otherwise undesirable to go elsewhere for meals, while visiting WDW) to make their point about what they want in terms of child meals. And Disney has gotten that message, loud and clear, rather than the message you would want to send, Jo.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 12:12 PM   #137
MaleficentandGoons
Mouseketeer

Yes, my child is young but I'm always looking toward the future when it comes to her. I honestly don't remember the term "picky eater" entering my realm till I was in college. I know there are "sensory" issues for many kids but I often wonder if that label is sometimes placed on kids needlessly. In my eyes I'm the parent, this is how things go, no room for discussion. When is it sensory and when is it a stubborn kid wanting only their way? When is it giving in. Like I said I know their are MANY real cases of sensory issues so I'm not speaking to that group.
I would love to see restaurants just offer a kids/child size portion of their "normal' menu. This includes Disney and here at home. For me it's not about the $$ because at the end of the day If she wants an adult item she can have it.
MaleficentandGoons is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-08-2010, 12:12 PM   #138
Indiana Rose Lee
Baby Factory Extraordinaire! ;)

If you are on the dining plan you can upgrade and pay more for better food. Or not do the meal plan. No one has to make that choice.
Indiana Rose Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 12:13 PM   #139
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelley00 View Post
If you are on the dining plan, you child has to order from the children's menu. We get the dining plan because we like character meals, where our children can eat a decent meal from the buffets. However, counter service children's menus are really limited...in variety and nutrition.
First of all, the DDP is not meant to be for everyone. Many people find that it is not a fit for their family and the reason I see again and again is because of restrictions placed on the plan. Many Annual Passholders end up with the Tables in Wonderland card instead so they may eat what they want.

I have also heard of some families who solve the problem of the limited children's menu by purchasing the adult DDP for those kids. If it's not free dining then I suspect the additional cost will outweigh the convenience of having the plan.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:17 PM   #140
Indiana Rose Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaleficentandGoons View Post
Yes, my child is young but I'm always looking toward the future when it comes to her. I honestly don't remember the term "picky eater" entering my realm till I was in college. I know there are "sensory" issues for many kids but I often wonder if that label is sometimes placed on kids needlessly. In my eyes I'm the parent, this is how things go, no room for discussion. When is it sensory and when is it a stubborn kid wanting only their way? When is it giving in. Like I said I know their are MANY real cases of sensory issues so I'm not speaking to that group.
I would love to see restaurants just offer a kids/child size portion of their "normal' menu. This includes Disney and here at home. For me it's not about the $$ because at the end of the day If she wants an adult item she can have it.
Lol, get back to me when there is something your child really doesn't like. Or do you force her to eat everything. As a parent of many, I made my kids try stuff, but no one likes everything. I'll eat octopus, but glazed carrots make me want to gag, thanks to a stint in a daycare during college.

I've worked with thousands of kids in varying capacities. It is easy to sit back and judge. But not too smart in the grand scheme of life. No parent gets everything right.

So what is your job at this camp?
Old 08-08-2010, 12:33 PM   #141
MaleficentandGoons
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Rose Lee View Post
Lol, get back to me when there is something your child really doesn't like. Or do you force her to eat everything. As a parent of many, I made my kids try stuff, but no one likes everything. I'll eat octopus, but glazed carrots make me want to gag, thanks to a stint in a daycare during college.

I've worked with thousands of kids in varying capacities. It is easy to sit back and judge. But not too smart in the grand scheme of life. No parent gets everything right.

So what is your job at this camp?
The Obvious:Everyone has something they don't like. I hate liver and anything Key Lime. My DH hates anything dairy other than melted cheese. Currently DD doesn't seem to like bananas all that much. Maybe that will change. The point is that we tried. Is it bad that I did? Highly doubtful

I was a group leader of 6-8th grade children. It's just something I do in the summer. The observation by many, not just me, was how many kids (increasingly through the age groups) refused to eat chicken or fish because either it wasn't fried or because it didn't look like what they had a home. I think it's a bit naive to think that people don't judge others. Is it right no but people do. The Obvious: No parent gets everything right. BUT clearly here in America we are doing something wrong when it comes to our childrens nutrition and diet.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:57 PM   #142
Ceila
DIS Veteran

My kids like some of the items on the kids' menu, and they also like some of the regular entrees. If you don't like the options on the kids' menu, don't order a kids meal. Nobody is forcing children to order from that. Even on the DDP, you still have the ability to order an adult meal for your child - you just have to pay OOP.

As for the DDP itself, again, it isn't for everyone. If a family has young children and they don't care for the choices on the kids' menu, then the DDP might not be a good option. Disney offers the DDP as a choice - it's not a requirement. Obviously it makes good business sense at this point in time to offer it the way it is.
Ceila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 01:13 PM   #143
Indiana Rose Lee

So, what is your plan for when your child doesn't like something? What should those parents have done? Made their kids eat everything in front of them? Do you like every food that is out there?

While I think that people would be better off eating local and organic, I have also seen that people can survive on very little and very few options. Most diets were based on the local supply in history. Some groups of people eat only 2 or 3 items. I've seen kids raised on nuggets all the way to adults. Yes, they sadly miss out on many things I love, but they appeat to be healthy happy people. So your little camp outing gives you a snapshot of a handful of people. Next thing you are fussing about the options at a theme park where no one is required to eat.
Old 08-08-2010, 02:00 PM   #144
jodifla

DIS Veteran

Again, so what? There are plenty of meal choices out there....if a child has adult tastes, then order them an adult meal.

My father had one of the worst diets on the planet. Hated vegetables (and he was a farmer!), would only eat them drowned in cheese, butter or dressing. He liked meat, potatoes, and sweets. Loved fried food.

He lived to be 81.
jodifla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 02:42 PM   #145
PSULion
Mouseketeer

Quote:
In my eyes I'm the parent, this is how things go, no room for discussion.

Ah yes.... what we all thought before our children reached toddlerhood!
Old 08-08-2010, 02:52 PM   #146
Indiana Rose Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSULion View Post
Ah yes.... what we all thought before our children reached toddlerhood!
I'm still wondering how she is going to make the child eat everything. That is an eating disorder waiting to happen. A smart kid will learn real quick what makes mom crazy.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:10 PM   #147
bicker
DIS Veteran

Quote:
This is a very common wish, but I think the pricing would be very disappointing. The cost of the ingredients for food doesn't drive the pricing as much as the cost of labor and the cost of customer acquisition, so figure that a half-portion of a $25.00 entree would cost $20.83. Many guests would love to save the $4.17, but so many more guests would hold umbrage against Disney for such an offering.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 03:15 PM   #148
Indiana Rose Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker View Post
This is a very common wish, but I think the pricing would be very disappointing. The cost of the ingredients for food doesn't drive the pricing as much as the cost of labor and the cost of customer acquisition, so figure that a half-portion of a $25.00 entree would cost $20.83. Many guests would love to save the $4.17, but so many more guests would hold umbrage against Disney for such an offering.
That makes sense.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:13 PM   #149
mirandaperez10
Mouseketeer

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle and crew View Post
I agree. A child's menu is a privilege, not a right.
pixiedust ::smickey :
If you have a problem with whats on the kid's menu share with your kids or pack your own meals!!!!
Old 08-08-2010, 04:41 PM   #150
MaleficentandGoons
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Rose Lee View Post
So, what is your plan for when your child doesn't like something? What should those parents have done? Made their kids eat everything in front of them? Do you like every food that is out there?

While I think that people would be better off eating local and organic, I have also seen that people can survive on very little and very few options. Most diets were based on the local supply in history. Some groups of people eat only 2 or 3 items. I've seen kids raised on nuggets all the way to adults. Yes, they sadly miss out on many things I love, but they appeat to be healthy happy people. So your little camp outing gives you a snapshot of a handful of people. Next thing you are fussing about the options at a theme park where no one is required to eat.
Indiana- Like I said there is a difference between a genuine dislike and stubborn kid. It's not about eating everything in front of you it's about trying items and I don't mean just once. I didn't like Salmon but eventually after multiple tries, I did. If my parents had stood by and made excuses for me I would never have known.
Indiana- Did I offend you in some way? I never blasted theme parks If you go back you will see I said kid menus in general. And it's not a little camp by any means. And I'm not fussing merely starting a conversation with other parents to see if they too think Kid Menus ACROSS THE BOARD lack nutrition and variety.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: