Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2010, 11:10 AM   #1
Shelly888
DIS Veteran

Barefooted baby gets kicked out of library

I am still stunned. He is 11 months old not walking. He doesn't even own shoes yet. He was crawling on the floor as I picked out books for him and the first grader. I have never had anyone say such a thing, am I missing something like a parenting gene? I don't see the issue.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:17 AM   #2
princessmom29
DIS Veteran

Iti s safety liability. They are probably required by their liability rider to required shoes at all times. My DD's daycare had to do this if a child was tobe put on the floor at any time, except in the designated infant care room.
princessmom29 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-31-2010, 11:22 AM   #3
Magpie
I guess there's not much else to do in the jar
Mean people - they don't matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelly888 View Post
I am still stunned. He is 11 months old not walking. He doesn't even own shoes yet. He was crawling on the floor as I picked out books for him and the first grader. I have never had anyone say such a thing, am I missing something like a parenting gene? I don't see the issue.
Your library is strict!

But just think - I was grumpy because my local library doesn't allow dogs! On the other hand, there's another library I know which does allow dogs, but also has a homeless woman living on the porch. So... I try to respect the rules each library sets, in their effort to keep floors clean and chaos contained.

Just buy your son some cute little slippers for the next visit.
Magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:28 AM   #4
WAMomof3
Earning My Ears

I'm sorry . . . . WHAT!?!?!??!? I'd see if they had a issue with your 1st grader barefoot, but a baby? Come on, ppl. Seriously?

Honestly, some of these health & safety rule, while I agree with most of them, have been taken WAYYYYY to far.

Everyone is SOOO caught up on rules, no one has any common sense. Sheesh!

Sorry this happened. Hope you have a better day.

First trip to DL - 7/81
Trip to Epcot w Grandma - 3/90
Kids Finally go to WDW - 7/10
Road trip to Cali and DL - Stay tuned
WAMomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:51 AM   #5
scrappingizlife
Mouseketeer

It's not even good for a baby's feet to be wearing shoes if they aren't walking. WTH is that? I would've complained.

9/2008- Offsite Timeshare- oldest son's birthday
5/2010- Offsite timeshare- Daughter's birthday
6/2011- POR- Middle son's and daughter's birthday.
9/2013-POR-Family vacation

Upcoming Trip:
09/2014- Graduation Celebration
scrappingizlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:52 AM   #6
Mrs. Charming
I'm not your entertainment, get a life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAMomof3 View Post
I'm sorry . . . . WHAT!?!?!??!? I'd see if they had a issue with your 1st grader barefoot, but a baby? Come on, ppl. Seriously?

Honestly, some of these health & safety rule, while I agree with most of them, have been taken WAYYYYY to far.

My sentiments exactly!
DD3 is a BIG SISTER! ...and now has a brand new little BROTHER!
Mrs. Charming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:52 AM   #7
dismichelle
Mouseketeer

I'd think it would be okay if he were being carried or in a stroller, but not for actually being on the floor.

What if he had stepped (barefooted) on a sharpened pencil or loose staple?
dismichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:52 AM   #8
Mickey527
DIS Veteran

Quite a few years ago, my grandson (who is almost 5 now) was turned away from Peter Pan's ride because he had socks on. He was 10 months old and I was carrying him. The CM wouldn't let him on the ride because he had no shoes on. At that time we didn't even have shoes for him, his mother and father didn't believe that a child should wear shoes until they are walking and of course grandma has no say.
They did show me a small sign at the entrance that said shoes must be worn at all times. I had never noticed these signs until then.
We had to go to Walmart that day and buy him a pair of slipper type shoes just so he wouldn't get kicked off a ride again.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:57 AM   #9
livndisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAMomof3 View Post

Following rules is bad? I always thought rules had to be made because people had no common sense. lol

Last edited by livndisney; 08-31-2010 at 11:57 AM. Reason: missed a word
livndisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 12:01 PM   #10
Mrs. Charming
I'm not your entertainment, get a life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livndisney View Post
Following rules is bad? I always thought rules had to be made because people had no common sense. lol
I think the annoying part is when people substitute rules for common sense (because the enforcer has none!)
DD3 is a BIG SISTER! ...and now has a brand new little BROTHER!
Mrs. Charming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 12:08 PM   #11
SewingMom
Earning My Ears

Gosh that's too bad
I have an 11 month old as well. If they are going to be that strict about shoes at that age, maybe they should be asking people to put special gloves on the babies because my 11 month old still crawls as most do, and if anything he would far more likely get something stuck on his hand than in his foot
I agree with having rules but yeah, sometimes common sense needs to be used first.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:18 PM   #12
KathyK
DIS Veteran

My kids didn't own shoes either until they were walking. I usually put some socks or booties on them when we went out though (of course, they usually pulled them off...).
11/96 DxL with DH - He proposed at V&A! * 4/98 GF Honeymoon * 11/98 Poly * 4/99 BC and Disney Magic * 12/99 Coronado Springs * 3/00 Hilton Head Resort - We became DVC Members! * 10/00 OKW and BWV * 5/01 AKL - pregnant with DD #1 * 5/02 BWV/Vero * 11/02 BWV pregnant with DD#2 * 3/03 WL - still pregnant! * 11/03 BWV * 3/04 WL Concierge * 11/04 Grand Californian Resort * 4/05 BWV*11/05 BWV*7/06 BWV*4/07 SSR*11/07 Grand Californian Resort * 4/08 BWV * 8/09 AKV * 7/10 BWV and OKW * 8/11 VWL * 7/12 BLT * 8/12 VB*8/13 VGC and Aulani*8/14 BLT
KathyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 12:23 PM   #13
danielephant
2nd Trip in January!!!!

wow that is odd! the baby is a BABY!!! did she want you to put shoes on his hands too, since he had thoughs on the floor too!? wow

Danielle 26,Wife to DH 26, Mommy to Evelyn about to celebrate her 4th b-day at WDW!, and Owen 1

danielephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 12:25 PM   #14
MommaMouse411
Always dreaming of Disney

I always get a kick out of these "rules"..but its the same reason as to the warning tag on an iron (don't touch HOT)...somebody touched the iron and burned themselves..hence the tag!

anyways...@mickey527 I'm glad you mentioned that because I don't even put socks on my baby here in FLA. so I would have to remember to buy hime "shoes" for when we go to MNSSHP in OCt.
MommaMouse411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 12:33 PM   #15
stackyallred
DIS Veteran

I'm sorry that happened- I have a 10 month old and go to the library with him a lot- I would have never thought about putting him in shoes as he doesn't wear shoes anywhere else- he always pulls them off and doesn't crawl or walk yet so I just figured that would start when he gets more mobile or the weather cools off. I would have been very surprised and frustrated simply because of the unexpectedness of the whole situation regardless of how valid the rule is. Its always a little disappointing when you get "disciplined" on breaking a rule you were unaware of-especially something that seems very minute to you.

Not to highjack the thread, but should I be planning on my son wearing shoes in a few weeks at WDW? I wouldn't have thought it would keep us from riding rides! I figured I'd bring some in case he decided that its time to take those first steps but now I am thinking I better start training him to wear them now!

Honeymoon @ ASM 2003 / Caribbean Beach Resort 2005 / DL 2006 / Bonnet Creek Resort 2007 /
Pop 2008 x2 / POP 2009 / POP 2010 / WBC & BWV 2011 / POP 2012 / POP & AKL 2013/ AKL & POP 2014
The Hamstring of Sadness Will Not Defeat the Magic! A TR of sacrificial joy!
stackyallred is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: