Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2010, 02:13 PM   #1
disney_mommy
"Dear god, what am I doing? This is half a man."

In August The Rebels Are Gearing Up for Race Season!

Welcome Rebels!!

An August thread for the Rebels. Will this heat wave ever end?

Our member list:

K80K - Katie - Baltimore
wdwprncess77 - Jane - New York - 7/7
french lady - Diane
mandac - Manda - Utah
Suzann - - Seattle
scoolover - Scott - Connecticut
cwnhokie - - West Virginia
ghoulishgirl - Tiffany - California
grstink - Gretchen - New Jersey
forceword - Liam - London
RENThead09 - Pat - Vegas
jenanderson - Jen - Minnesota
CapeCodRob - Rob - Massachusetts
sailors_wfe - Christy - Virginia
luckymum22 - Barb (and Silent Bob) - Pennsylvania
G&GMom - Joy - Florida
j-sun - Virginia
deleckidesign - Michelle - Michigan
momto2littlemonsters - Shawna - Florida
krishouse - Kristin - Ontario
jwalker1 - James - Illinois
nkkilala - Nikki - Michigan
LuvCuteBoys
srp1103 - Stacie
disney_mommy - Andrea - Virginia

Rebel Calendar:

February
WISH Valentine's Day Virtual 5K/10K
Mandac - 10K
jenanderson - 5K
grstink - 10K
ghoulishgirl - 5K
disney_mommy - 10K

~~~~~~~~~~
March

Disney's Princess Half Marathon and 5K - 6th, 7th
k80k
disney_mommy
G&G Mom

Sarasota Half - 14th
G&G Mom

Frozen Foot 5K - 14th
luckymum22

Hastings Half Marathon - 21st
forceword

Walk a Mile in their Shoes 5K - 27th
momto2littlemonsters

Luck O' the IWISH! St. Patrick's Day Virtual 5K/10K
grstink - 5K
jenanderson - 5K

Lucky 7 7K
jenanderson

~~~~~~~~~~
April

Lincoln Memorial Half - 3rd
jwalker1

Obesity Challenge 5K - 17th
jenanderson

Hagarstown 5K - 17th
cwnhokie

Ocean City Half Marathon - 24th
K80K

Logan’s Run 5K & Walk for Autism Awareness
luckymum22

Beaches Chapel 5K - 24th
momto2littlemonsters

~~~~~~~~~~
May

Kenswick Half Marathon - 2nd
forceword

Frederick Half - 2nd
K80K

The Human Race 5K
momto2littlemonsters

SheROX Tempe Triathlon - 8th
ghoulishgirl

Race for the Cure 5K - 8th
mandac

Turkey Hill 11th Annual Country Classic 5K
luckymum22

Historic Half - 16th
K80K

Miles for Moms 5K to benefit Mom's House®
luckymum22

Edinburgh Marathon - 23rd
forceword

Maryland Half - 23rd
K80K

Spring Sprint 5K
luckymum22

~~~~~~~~~~
June

7th Annual DUI Victims Memorial 10k Run - 5th
Luckymum22

Zooma Annapolis Half - 6th
K80K

Minneapolis Half Marathon - 6th
jenanderson

SH7 - 12th
K80K

Bear Lake 10K - 12th
mandac

Expedition Everest Challenge - 12th
cwnhokie
momto2littlemonsters

B10 10Mi - 19th
K80K

french lady

Cypress 10K - 24th
RENThead09

Craig Heisey Memorial 5K - 26th
Luckymum22

Run for the Pies 5K
momto2littlemonsters

~~~~~~~~~~
August

Tour de Pain - 7th, 8th
momto2littlemonsters

Abe's Amble 10K
jwalker1

Twilight Trot 10K - 15th
Luckymum22

Bronx Half - 15th
wdwprncess77

Eagle 'Hadventurish' Races
Luckymum22
~~~~~~~~~~
September

Morse Mini - 4th
MikeofRose&Mike

Disneyland Half - 5th
K80K
ghoulishgirl
RENThead09

Montreal Half - 5th
french lady

Virginia Beach Rock 'n' Roll Half - 5th
disney_mommy
sailors_wfe

Bupa Great North Run - 19th
forceword

Philly Rock ‘n’ Roll Half - 19th
K80K

Children's Way 5K - 26th
momto2littlemonsters

~~~~~~~~~~
October

Disney Wine and Dine Half - 2nd
K80K
disney_mommy
wdwprncess77
srp1103

Lewis & Clark Marathon - 3rd
jwalker

Hershey Half Marathon, Relay - 3rd
Luckymum22 (with Silent Bob)

Race for the Cure
momto2littlemonsters

Lewis & Clark Marathon - 3rd
jwalker1

Boston Half - 10th
K80K

Baltimore Half - 16th
K80K

Stoudt's Brewing Distance Classic 12k - 23rd
Luckymum22

~~~~~~~~~~
November

Philadelphia Half - 21st
K80K

~~~~~~~~~~
December

PUMA Hellrunner
forceword

Frostbite Festival 10mile - 7th
jwalker1

Rehobeth Half - 11th
K80K

~~~~~~~~~~

January

Disney World Half/Full Marathon - 8th, 9th
forceword
luckymum22 - half
ghoulishgirl - Goofy
jwalker1 - Goofy
wdwprncess77 - half
grstink - half
grstink's daughter - Goofy

About W.I.S.H

Within the DISboards, there is a group of DISers that like to talk about getting healthy or staying healthy, and all of the things that entails. They are called W.I.S.Hers. On this thread, TXBelle (Heather) shares the history of W.I.S.H. and how it all began.

You are always welcome to post on the W.I.S.H boards and ask questions, or to offer advice for someone else. Once you've posted, you are automatically a member of W.I.S.H!

Within W.I.S.H there are smaller teams of about 20 people each. You do not have to be on a team to be a member of W.I.S.H and you do not have to be a member of W.I.S.H to be on a team. They are just a way for smaller groups of people to get to know each other and to offer more personalized advice and suggestions.

How can I join a team?

Right now, jmasgat (Maura) is coordinating the teams. Go to this thread and post that you would like to join a team. You might also like to mention if you are an experienced athlete or just starting out, if you are a runner, a walker or a biker or what your goals are. She will try to match you up with a team that will benefit from your current fitness levels and goals.

Maura maintains the team leaders and members and makes sure the numbers stay pretty even. She will decide when it is time to start a new team and will coordinate that effort.

About the Rebels

On February 7, 2009, windwalker asked for a volunteer to lead a new team he named Rebel Alliance. It didn't appear that there were many people eager to take on that job! Soon however, Suzann and scoolover (Scott) stepped up and offered to share the duties of heading up the new team. Back then, every team member had to announce their monthly miles and minutes and the team captain kept a team total.

Before long the team had 11 members and by June we were up to 14. One of the latest monthly threads was started in July of 2009 by Suzann until K80K (Katie) started one in September of that same year. October was skipped and a November thread was started by wdwprincess (Jane). By this time, most members of the team had drifted away. "Real life" got in the way, training slowed down, there was an injury... For whatever reason, it appeared that the Rebels had disbanded.

In January of 2010, deekaypee (Debra) started asking for opinions for the new year and scoolover (Scott) offered to re-start the Rebels. He started a thread asking if any past team members were interested in coming back, and a few did. Then jmasgat (Maura) started filling the team in with brand new people who were either new to W.I.S.H or were ready to join a team. The numbers rose quickly and before long the team had 20 members.

Because of personal reasons, scoolover (Scott) asked disney_mommy (Andrea) to take over as team captain in February 2010. She accepted and the team is in its current state.

Helpful Tips/Links

Need general information about a variety of topics, including running, walking, programs, gear, pacing? Check out this great thread by chimera. It includes links to a huge number of resources you might find useful.

Looking for a fun way to get in some extra walking? How about joining the Walk to Disney Challenge? Keep track of your daily walking miles (by pedometer or GPS) and log them in. See how close you would be if you were actually walking to The World!

Many Rebels are signed up on DailyMile.com, a site to post your workout miles/minutes and talk about them. It could be called the Facebook of workouts. If you sign up, feel free to "friend" the Rebels listed below. Be sure to include a note in your friend request mentioning you are a Rebel!

disney_mommy - DM username "disney_mommy"
luckymum22 - DM username "LuckyMum22"
jenanderson - DM username "jenanderson"

If you are interested in getting a ticker for your signature (for a weight loss goal, or just for an upcoming vacation), the DIS has its own options now. They can be found here.

If you would like a Userbar for your signature, check out this thread. bellaDisneydncr created a bunch of W.I.S.H userbars as well as Rebel Alliance specific bars (they are on page 2, post #27, or here). Also on her thread are bars for the Disney races. If you'd like to use an animator, an excellent one can be found here.

The Rebels have several logo options, if you would prefer to have one of them in your signature. They can be found on this post. If you have any suggestions or ideas for more, please post it on our thread!

If you'd like to get to know your teammates on a personal level, please look us up on Facebook or Twitter. When you send a friend request, be sure to mention that you're a Rebel!

Want to catch up on past team threads?

July 2010
June 2010
May 2010
April 2010
March 2010
and the 'first' thread is here.

"Now sometimes you're up and sometimes you're down. When you find that you're down, well, just look around. You still got a body, good legs and fine feet, get your head in the right place and hey you're complete!" ~Jackalope

June 2003-AKL for DS's 5th birthday April 2006-7 Night Western June 2007-Surprise Disney World for DS's 9th birthday, offsite December 2007-7 Night Eastern June 2008-AK & Epcot in one day, offsite January 2009-A Diva and Her Mom Invade Disney, CBR March 2010-Princess Half-Marathon, AKV October 2010-Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, offsite (thanks Deb, you rock!)
February 2011-Girlfriend Trip, offsite (Deb, you still rock!)

Last edited by disney_mommy; 08-04-2010 at 03:13 PM.
disney_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 02:13 PM   #2
disney_mommy
"Dear god, what am I doing? This is half a man."

Mike - Sorry you had more Stupid Judy moments. Maybe there is another place you could go that has better shade and less turns? Is it even possible to get up earlier than 6:15 for a morning run?

Congrats on signing up for an impossible to get lost at race! Let us know how it went.

Nikki - It's all about finishing the race! I overheard someone say this during the Princess: "the medal looks the same whether you're the first one across the finish line or the last." That has stuck with me since then.

Glad your long runs are going so well! You are an inspiration.

James - You have plenty of time to up your speed, so please don't overdo it. You really are going full steam, though!

Hold on, did I just read that correctly that you start your running at 3:30 in the morning?!

Jane - Thanks for asking about me! Puppy is doing great. Relatively speaking... Training has slowed down a bit between the pup and family in town this past week. I hope to get back on the wagon. The Rock 'n' Roll is next month and I don't want to let my friend down, after I convinced her to sign up...

I loved your story about showing up late and running the wrong direction in a race! That is a classic.

Gretchen - Congrats on signing up for the race! You will have a blast! And it will be that much more fun, doing it with her. Do I detect a girl's weekend...?

Stacie - How did the doctor's visit go? Did you say 8 more weeks?! Man, it is sneaking up, isn't it?

"Now sometimes you're up and sometimes you're down. When you find that you're down, well, just look around. You still got a body, good legs and fine feet, get your head in the right place and hey you're complete!" ~Jackalope

June 2003-AKL for DS's 5th birthday April 2006-7 Night Western June 2007-Surprise Disney World for DS's 9th birthday, offsite December 2007-7 Night Eastern June 2008-AK & Epcot in one day, offsite January 2009-A Diva and Her Mom Invade Disney, CBR March 2010-Princess Half-Marathon, AKV October 2010-Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, offsite (thanks Deb, you rock!)
February 2011-Girlfriend Trip, offsite (Deb, you still rock!)
disney_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-04-2010, 09:14 PM   #3
MikeofRose&Mike
Mouseketeer

Andrea I am sure you will be fine for Rock n Roll, hopefully it will be cooler by then.

Stacie How did the doctor visit go. You are in great shape for WnD relay if you are already at 6. See you at the finish line party.

James Did you register for the Effignham Heartland Half or are you still just thinking it about.

Gretchen I bet you have fun doing the half with the your daughter. We couldn't convince DS to do a half with us.

Jane Were you able to get a good run in this weekend, it looks lke you should be starting your taper for Bronx

I succeeded in not getting lost on the 4 miler with cones and police cars at every turn. DW had a PR, it was her fastest race pace yet, regardless of distance. Sunday we went for a 12 mile run early. We caught a break this weekend and it was only 73 at 6AM. I did not get lost on this one either.

It got hot again during the week, we ran/walked the 4 last night in the 90s, and today it was 101, so I am cross training on disboards by typing.

Have a good week Rebels.

MikeofRose&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:26 PM   #4
srp1103
Mouseketeer

Well, I am still not running The doctor sent me to have a bone scan, she thinks there is a possibility that I may have a stress fracture in my pelivic bone I went for the scan on Tue. and I go see the Dr. on Thur. to go over the results. I am now praying for a strained muscle! I am trying real hard to be optimistic and be patient. I will keep you all posted after I get the results tomorrow. Thank you for the good thoughts!

Stacie
Old 08-05-2010, 06:15 AM   #5
nkkilala
DIS Veteran

Welcome to August everyone!!! (I'm only 4 days late )

Sorry to be a little distant lately! That little thing called LIFE has gotten in the way again!

I'm going to go back and read some of the late July posts I missed but until then this is what I gather....

ANDREA- I love that statement about the medal being the same no matter where you finish! I'll have to work this into my "sayings" I'm developing about racing!

MIKE- Looks like your "stupid Judy" moments are getting few and far between! Way to be ROSE with the PR race pace!!

STACIE- I hope everything with you hip goes ok! Here are prayers for NO stress fracture! Keep us posted after you DR. appt! Oh and shame on you for not letting a fellow Michigander know you were going to be visiting the great Mitten state! I hope we treated you well and glad we could provide a rest from the weather you have been getting! Where in MI did you go? I live in South West MI near Kalamazoo.

GRETCHEN- I KNEW you could talk you daughter into January!! I can't wait to meet you and the other DIS family members!
Old 08-05-2010, 06:23 AM   #6
nkkilala
DIS Veteran

Wow.... I COMPLETELY forgot to let everyone know what was going on with me!! I'll chalk it up to being up early. I am working 7-3 this week and normally work 10-7 so this morning thing is new to me

After my awesome 8 miler a couple of weeks ago I took an easy week. Just a few strolls nothing serious.

This week I am diving back in! keeping to the schedule as planned! I will be SO HAPPY when this humidity dies downs! We had about 2 days where it was only 50%. Now we're are getting back up into the 70%-95% range depending on the time of day! It makes it so hard to find a good walking time! I only wish I had Jame's motivation to get up at 3:30!!! I just need tooo much beauty sleep to pull that off! You don't want to talk with me if I don't get at least 7 hours, I get CRANKY!

Hope all of you Rebels are having a great time!!
Old 08-05-2010, 08:08 PM   #7
srp1103
Mouseketeer

I got the results of the bone scan today. Not good news, I have a stress fracture in my right pelvic bone. The strangest part is I have no idea how it happened. There never was a single incident that I can recall when it could have occurred. I have an excellent sports medicine Dr., she is a tri-athlete so she completely understands my longing to get back to running and to participate in the race in Oct. She said she would not rule out the race. We will see with time. Right now she insists that I use crutches to keep the bone still (she obviously cannot cast it). She said the more I can keep it from moving the quicker it will heal, so I am going to use the crutches even though I feel like an idiot, since I can walk perfectly fine. She said I can ride the recumbent bike this week and when I go see her next week we can talk about increasing the activity depending on how a new x-ray looks. Thank you so much for all the kind words, it means alot!

So sorry not to disclose my MI roots. I grew up south of Detroit, my parents have lived in Holland, MI for 16 years, and my brother-in-law and his family just recently moved to Portage. What a small world! My husband and I moved to AL 5 years ago.

I hope everyone has a great week of training. I cannot wait to get back out there!

Stacie
Old 08-06-2010, 11:14 AM   #8
jwalker1
Earning My Ears

Hi Rebels!!!

OK, we need to stop giving the weeks left too the Oct race. Heck, my marathon race is the next day. Quit scaring me!!! What is scaring me more is Nikki’s 5 month count down to the Jan race, now that is scary.

Stacie – Oh my, take care and I wish you a speedy recovery.

Mike – No, a friend talked me out of it. However, I would rather do the race than the scheduled 20 miles that weekend. My friend was right, I need to focus on my marathon training and the race could put unnecessary stress on me before the marathon.

AFM – Training is going pretty good this week. I skipped a day because of the humidity. I do not like doing that but I need to think about my health. I will more than likely get in 23 miles this week and should be good enough. Wow, next weekend starts the first of three 20 mile weekends, not exactly looking forward to that. This weekend is 13 miles. It looks like I might hit a 30 mile week next week, stay tuned.

Anyway Rebels, I kind of feel out of the loop in the conversations lately, so if I missed commenting on a particular one, sorry.

Have a great weekend everyone. Go Rebels!!!

jwalker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 04:34 PM   #9
mandac
Mouseketeer

Hi!
I have missed you all so much. I know I haven't posted in over a month, but I hope to find time to catch up on what is going on in everyone's lives.

My summer has been awful. I did a race back in June, and shortly after that I came down with a migraine. That isn't too odd for me, but it didn't go away. I had 3 straight weeks of migrain when I finally decided it was time to call the doctor and see what was going on (no-I don't know why I waited so long - other than I hate going to the doctors). They didn't feel too stressed about it, and I didn't get an appointment for another week. so a month after the start of my migraine I made it into the doctor. He looked around and decided that I had a sinus infection that was triggering my migraine. So I took some antibiotics and a week and a half later I finally felt better. That sad thing is that the almost 6 weeks I had the headache totally ate up my entire summer! I couldn't go running, I couldn't do anything (except eat - as the scale happily shows).

I finally was able to get back out and I realized just how bad of shape I am in. I went out on Monday and Wednesday to try and at least move! I did OK, but I am scared about the Disneyland Half, that is in less than a month. I may be taking a ride on the sweeper bus with only 1 month of training.

So - Sorry I have been gone so long, but hopefully I am back for a while!

mandac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 05:23 AM   #10
RENThead09
DIS Veteran

Hello everyone. Long time no see.

I have been crazy with my move to California and traveling for work. Even though I took over my new store the first week of june, this was the first time I was able to put in 5 days in a week at my store. But there are small moments that have made me smile. Like tonight when I realized I could see the Disneyland Fireworks from the driveway.

working out is definitely not what it was last summer, but I am in a good place mentally right now, so that is half the battle. I have had 2 great sessions with a new trainer at 24 Hr Fitness down here in Anaheim. We start 2 a week training sessions next week. I had a good 3 and 4 mile run this week at decent pace.

Last year I was running 10 mile long runs at this point. But letting my knees recover from the WDW Marathon has been my 100% focus and I am taking things slowly right now. my plans is to do 13 Half Marathons over the next 13 months. It starts and finishes Labor Day weekend with the Disneyland Half Marathons. Should be an interesting journey. Taking me to LA, Long Beach, Vegas, Tempe, Oxnard, Huntington Beach, NYC, San Diego, Missoula, Duluth-Minnesota, Costa Mesa, Seattle, and of course back to WDW. Just gotta decide is I am donald or goofy this year.

MANDAC I am right there with you on this half coming up. Right now my plan is to run 4 miles, walk a mile, Run 3 miles, walk a mile, run 2 miles, walk a mile, run to the finish line and get me my Coast to Coast medal. Not how I planned on doing it, but last year I pushed and focused and didnt take pictures, and this year I want to enjoy it. It is the culmination of my journey to WDW and back, and the start of my next great adventure. Hope to get to day HI to you over the weekend...make sure you see WORLD OF COLOR!!!! It is breathtaking! I have seen it about 15 times now. Just amazing.

So I am settled in, my internet is hooked up, my running shoes are ready to go, my luggage is put away, and I am ready and THRILLED to be back with the rebels! Hope everyone had a great summer. Cant wait to get some time to ready through July and see what I missed.

Happy running everyone. It is 2:15 in the morning and I need to go to bed so I can get up in 6 hours and go to work.

Upcoming Races...
Nov 2014 Avengers Half Marathon
Jan 2015 Star Wars Half Marathon
RENThead09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:37 PM   #11
nkkilala
DIS Veteran

Stacie- So sorry to hear about your injury! It is great you are dealing with a good doctor who has the running mindset and knows about your drive to get out there! Hate to say it but stress fractures don't normally have once incident that cause them, they are repetition injuries. Keep it immobilized, by using crutches, will allow the bone to reattach. If you keep using it, the bone will just keep pulling further away from where it should be! Keep using those crutches, and probably wouldn't hurt if you drank lots of milk and took Calcium and Vitamin D, might not be that helpful but ya never know.

WOW! Your brother-in-law lives in my city!! How cool is that! I went to school in Holland for a while at Hope College, AMAZING how small of a world it really is!!

James- Sorry the tickers are getting to you! ;-) the planner in me just LOVES knowing exactly how long I have left!

Way to respect that mileage you are about to do!

Manda- Sorry to hear you have been struggling with that migraine! I don't know how you made it through 6 weeks of it! I get one and am OUT of commission for a whole day! I'm sure if you take your mileage slow all of those base miles you have but in will help you get through the marathon!
It is so great to have you back with us!

Pat- Glad to hear you are finally at your new store full time! Nothing like having to travel. How amazing that you can see the fireworks from you driveway! Can we say jealous! Oh and that you have seen World of Color!! I don't know when I'll make it out to Cali, so all I can do is cross my fingers to win a free trip or have them bring it to WDW! 13 Halfs in 13 months!! I'm going to call ya crazy! I know someone has to do it and I'm thankful it isn't me! Keep listening to your body as you have been and I'm sure you'll be fine!

AFM- Well got in another awesome week! Only skipped out on 1 planned workout and that was Fridays, just felt like a lazy Friday to me! I did 6 miles this AM with Margie. We finished in about 1.5 hours. I tried Gu for the first time and it was ok, verdict is still out, I'll have to try it again before I pass judgment! Gearing up for 10 miles next week! It will be the farthest I've gone yet and the highest of my training miles!! I'm geeked! I have it planned that I will do the first 5 by myself and then Margie will join me for the second 5! Crossing my fingers for AWESOME weather next week like I had this morning!!

Take care everyone! Can't wait to hear how ya'll are doing!
Old 08-12-2010, 12:38 PM   #12
RENThead09
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkkilala View Post

AFM- Well got in another awesome week! Only skipped out on 1 planned workout and that was Fridays, just felt like a lazy Friday to me! I did 6 miles this AM with Margie. We finished in about 1.5 hours. I tried Gu for the first time and it was ok, verdict is still out, I'll have to try it again before I pass judgment! Gearing up for 10 miles next week! It will be the farthest I've gone yet and the highest of my training miles!! I'm geeked! I have it planned that I will do the first 5 by myself and then Margie will join me for the second 5! Crossing my fingers for AWESOME weather next week like I had this morning!!

Take care everyone! Can't wait to hear how ya'll are doing!
Congrats on the milage. And everyone needs an unplanned day off every now and then.

I hear ya on the GU. I went through so many different things until I found one I liked. Just remember to take water with it. I did not the first time and it did not go so well. YUCK

Happy Running everyone.

Upcoming Races...
Nov 2014 Avengers Half Marathon
Jan 2015 Star Wars Half Marathon
RENThead09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 02:29 PM   #13
mandac
Mouseketeer

Pat: I am totally looking forward to World of Color. I am trying to decide which day will work best, and will probably buy the picnic lunch so I dont' have to worry about lining up early. I was going to go on Friday, but I am considering going to the WISH meet, and I dont' know if I can do both. Maybe Sunday night. We will see. I am glad you made the move and are starting to settle in. Moving is such a pain! I blame 20 of my overweight pounds on moving twice in the past 3 years. It just isn't good for me. Hopefully we will get a chance to meet.

Nikki: Good luck on your long day. I was supposed to do 10 this week to get ready for Disneyland, but my DH and I will be out of town for our anniversary (#3) and I don't know if I want to find a run in a different city. He isnt' sure he wants to do a 10, so we may compromise on a 8 minute walk/run around the city. Should be fun.

AFM: today is officially one full week with no headache! It has been such a battle. I was good most of last week, but I went running on Wednesday night and almost immediately got another migraine that lasted about 24 hours. I was so scared that the running caused it that I didn't run again until Tuesday, because I just didn't want to hurt myself again. But I did 5.5 miles on Tuesday and made it out headache free. Cross your fingers for me - I have a lot of training to do for the next couple weeks! I need my head to cooperate.

mandac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:06 AM   #14
wdwprncess77
Mouseketeer

Hi Rebels!

I've been terrible at posting these past couple of weeks. Life/Work keeps getting in the way. I have been lurking/reading and trying to keep up on my training. I'm running my first half this weekend . Bronx half marathon is on sunday and the weather here is looking good. Low humidity high of 84 for the day, so I'm pretty happy. Going to take it easy, just like a training run. It's really just so I mentally know what I'm up against for W&D. And my running group is doing it with me, so additional support.

Andrea - how's the training going? Hope you're able to get in your miles before RNR.

Mike - I love the idea of crosstraining by typing on the Dis. But if that's the case, why am I not in better shape? Congrats to your wife on her PR. And congrats to you for not getting lost. (even if you did need cones and police cars.)

Stacie - Hope you heal quickly!!!

Nikki - Good luck with your 10 miler. Which flavor Gu did you try? I LOVE the chocolate outrage. Tastes like chocolate pudding. The Vanilla tastes like vanilla pudding too, but I can't look at it before I eat that one b/c the look of it freaks me out. So if you like pudding, give them those flavors a try. I also don't eat the whole pack at once. I break it down into 2-3 smaller servings and take them closer together (and always with water). That seems to take away the overwhelming "I've gotta eat this whole gu" feeling. BTW, I love how you are always happy go lucky. I can sense your can-do attitude right through your posts.

James Wow - Three 20 mile weekends. That's so great. Glad to hear you are listening to your body and still getting the training in.

Manda - Migraines are terrible. I don't know how you survived a whole month with one. I can barely handle when i get one for a few hours. I'm glad it seems to be over for you though. A trick that works for me (but on shorter migraines) is strawberry ice cream. If you just eat a little something about the cold and the antioxidants from the berries seems to make mine go away. And it's ice cream, so yummy. Can't wait to hear all about Disneyland.

Pat - I am so jealous you are so close to the Mouse. Glad to hear your finally at your new location. What a great perk of this new job!!!

Have a great weekend Rebels!!!!! Bronx reports coming on Monday.

wdwprncess77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:23 AM   #15
wdwprncess77
Mouseketeer

Hi Rebels - Reporting in from my Bronx Half yesterday. This could be titled "if it can go wrong, it will." as that was the theme.

Left plenty of time to get to race. Had an hour but couldn't find parking. Finally found a garage and it was free (nothing is free in NY). Walking to race start realized hey this is kinda far (about a mile and a half or so). Arrived at start with 5 minutes to spare. No potty stop before the race start. The weather here was pretty good 70's and low-ish humidity. So the weather gods were on our side yesterday.

Found my group and started moving towards the start. I'm very very slow to begin with (around 14-15/min miles) and i do a run walk plan. My group is a little faster than I am. Well, as I found out later right out of the start we were faster than normal and I was trying to keep up with them, so I wound up running out of steam. Stopped for potty break at miles 1 & 6. Mile 8 I started to get a pain in my knee. Around mile 10 my legs felt like they were going to fall off. I made it to mile 11.5 doing my run/walk and then just walked in the last 1.6 miles. Getting to the finish my group was there cheering me on and all I could yell was "I really feel like I wanna die" as I crossed the finish. I did manage to get my feet up to a jog for the last 10 feet so technically I "ran" across the finish. I was 3rd from last and had a 16:07 pace which included the two potty breaks. So I think I'll be fine in October with just a little more training and being much much wiser.

As it turns out, I knew this past Thursday that i needed new sneakers, but had no time to break in new ones. So bad sneakers, fast pace plus only training to 10 miles didn't really give me a great half experience.

Today i'm slightly sore (not too bad) but my foot hurts. A marathoner in my office says it sounds like plantar fascitis. So we'll be seeing a doctor soon for that.

I will say though that I learned SO much from this race experience and I would highly recommend to race before your goal just to get the experience.
For the W&D I will be running alone, so I plan to start at my own pace and drop down from there at the beginning so I can have more gas in the tank. Plus I'll have new sneakers that are broken in so that won't be an issue. I also kept telling myself at every mile marker where i would be along the course for W&D. Just knowing that route is going to keep my moving along quicker. For those of you who haven't been to the Bronx ever, it's not really that interesting to look at.

OH - and one more thing. Because it was my first, its a PR. So yay me!!!

Hope you all had a great great weekend!

wdwprncess77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: