Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2010, 05:16 AM   #91
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by heaven2dc View Post
Thanks for the tip about the huge Zip lock bag! You guys got really soaked That lunch looks yummy - I didn't even know this place existed (unless it wasn't there in 2008). Milkshakes instead of desserts? Sounds good to me
I am amazed about how unknown this place is. I responded to a thread about people looking for alternatives when the Flame Tree is closed, and it was all Yak and Yeti and Pizzafari. This is a nice alternative. I'm going back to edit my post to put in a photo of the restaurant- I didn't take this one, it is from the DIS restaurant board. Hope it is ok to post, if I credit.

Menu:
Entree/Main Course

Cheeseburger Basket - Served on a multi grain bun with apple slices or chips. - $6.59
Tuna salad Pita - Served with apple slices or chips - $7.79
Turkey Sandwich - Served with apple slices or chips. - $7.79

Dessert

Chocolate Mousse - . - $3.59
Milk Shake - Chocolate or Vanilla - $3.99

Drinks

Dasani Bottled Water - . - $2.50
Selection of Soft Drinks - Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Minute Maid Light Lemonade and Barqs Root Beer. - $2.19
Old 08-20-2010, 05:24 AM   #92
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 407-W-DISNEY View Post
Hi, Just found your TR...your title caught my attention....only on page 2, but wanted to sub! Going back to catch-up

We just came back from Disney...we went August 3rd - 8th.
I live on the North Shore near Beverly...Sorry your husband now has to commute to Cambridge....not an easy commute....

Go Patriots!!
Welcome 407-W-DISNEY!!! Always glad to have another local along for the ride!

Good game last night!!! We have been Pats fans forever. When we lived in NH and the home games were blacked out because the stadium didn't fill, we could get the broadcasts from Maine, so we were able to watch all of the games. Empty stadiums are not the problem anymore!

I am headed to visit friends near Rockport/Gloucester today. Great day for the beach!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-20-2010, 05:29 AM   #93
natebenma
DIS Veteran

@ momof3cuteboys and dtr-angel (Sorry, I haven't figured out double-quoting yet)

Kali River Rapids is a BLAST!!! But you have to be prepared to get wet. If you are wearing sneakers and socks, you need to change them because you don't want to walk around all day waiting for them to dry. And no white t-shirt, ladies!!!
Old 08-20-2010, 05:38 AM   #94
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kldmom2000 View Post
How packed was it at BB when you showed up later in the day out of curiosity? I know I'd heard that if you didn't show up for opening, the lines/crowds were so bad that it was impossible to do anything as the day went on?? Just wondering what time you arrived and how busy you found it to be???
The last two summers, we have arrived at BB around 2 or 2:30 twice, in July. We were always able to find seats fairly close to the entrance/wave pool. This year, in fact, there were two loungers under cover which we needed because we were there during a thunder/rain storm shutdown. Chairs also available at TL when we arrived around 3 last year and this year.

Last year, BB, wait for Family Ride was about 15 minutes, we did it twice. This year, wait times impacted by storm, so the park re-opened, it wasn't bad. Wave pool and lazy river were both crowded. We don't do the body slides, so don't know how the wait times were.

TL, after 3 PM: wait time for shark reef about 20 minute. Wait time for CrushNGusher, about 15 minutes. Wave pool crowded.

Here comes the 2009 report, with pictures!!!
Old 08-20-2010, 05:55 AM   #95
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Hey, Tara, I'm headed to my FOURTH park of the day!

Park 2) Blizzard Beach

Our family had never been to Blizzard Beach and it had probably been 15 or more years since Mark and I had been to Typhoon Lagoon. We arrived sometime around 2 PM.

We bobbed in the wave pool- pretty tame.

The boys loved the lazy river.

The line at the chair lifts was not too long, so we got on those to take us to the family ride:

Team Boat Springs rocks!!! We did this twice. About a 15 minute wait.

Love the view from the boarding area of Teamboat Springs!

Nate and Ben played around in Ski Patrol Area- walking across icebergs, zip-line.

None of us really like body slides, so we didnít try any of the more thrilling single slides. Summit Plummit? No, thanks!

It was around 4:30, so we needed to change and get ready for dinner.

BOMA!!!
Old 08-20-2010, 07:29 AM   #96
heaven2dc
DIS Veteran

We have never gone to BB - only Typhoon Lagoon (once). It looks so fun - loved the pics of the boys at the Ski Patrol.

I can't wait to hear all about Boma - we have ressies there December 1st on our Animal Kingdom day. I hope my guys like it - my youngest 2 are going to WDW for their first visit and I tried to pick ADR's at places where I think will interest them. Plus it's buffet and what boy doesn't like a buffet, right? (plus my DS27 is a vegetarian so I think Boma will have a great selection.)

WDW Trips: March 1997 (BWV), February 2008 (BWV), December 2008 (BWV), Nov/Dec 2010 (BWV)

Disneyland Trips: September 1983, AP Holder July 2013 (twice), August 2013 & November 2013

All Our Dreams Come True If We Have the Courage To Pursue Them - Walt Disney
Old 08-20-2010, 08:04 AM   #97
407-W-DISNEY
DIS Veteran

Have a great time with your friends today - yes, its a great day for the beach...a few of us are sneaking away at lunch today for ice cream...hee, hee

I noticed the Tangerine Cafe for the first time on this past trip...we didn't get to eat there, but it's now on my list of places to try!

Oh yes, I remember the days of the empty stadium and blackouts...my husband used to work there back in 92 - 93 during college...they only sold out one game.....thank goodness that's in the past!!

great game!

11/1998 - Disneymoon - Grand Floridian
12/2001 - Boardwalk
05/2007 - Contempory
11/2008 - 10th Wedding Anniversary - Grand Floridian
08/2010 - Poly - hubby's 40th
09/2011 - Wilderness Lodge - my 40th
09/2012 - Caribbean Beach
11/2013 - 15th Wedding Anniversary - Animal Kingdom Lodge
Old 08-20-2010, 04:50 PM   #98
Queila
DIS Veteran

Signing up.

Really enjoying what I have read so far. You guys seem to use your time very smartly. Good job.

Thanks for the pictures of the resort. The Beach Club is one of our "dream resorts" so maybe one day.

Looking forward o reading more.

Q
Old 08-21-2010, 05:39 AM   #99
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by heaven2dc View Post
We have never gone to BB - only Typhoon Lagoon (once). It looks so fun - loved the pics of the boys at the Ski Patrol.

I can't wait to hear all about Boma - we have ressies there December 1st on our Animal Kingdom day. I hope my guys like it - my youngest 2 are going to WDW for their first visit and I tried to pick ADR's at places where I think will interest them. Plus it's buffet and what boy doesn't like a buffet, right? (plus my DS27 is a vegetarian so I think Boma will have a great selection.)
We actually prefer Typhoon Lagoon. Better wave pool than BB, CrushNGusher is really cool and we love to snorkle, so Shark Reef is fun for us. But the family ride at BB is totally better than the one at TL. Can't compare the thrill slides since we don't do those.

LOVE Boma. There. That's my review. Pictures coming right up, including the kid's food station.
Old 08-21-2010, 05:44 AM   #100
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 407-W-DISNEY View Post
Have a great time with your friends today - yes, its a great day for the beach...a few of us are sneaking away at lunch today for ice cream...hee, hee

I noticed the Tangerine Cafe for the first time on this past trip...we didn't get to eat there, but it's now on my list of places to try!

Oh yes, I remember the days of the empty stadium and blackouts...my husband used to work there back in 92 - 93 during college...they only sold out one game.....thank goodness that's in the past!!

great game!
What a gorgeous day! Did you get out for your ice cream treat???

Tangerine (EPCOT, Morocco) or Tamu(AK)? We love them both, I think each one is underrated. I answered a question on the restaurant board for kldmom2000 about takeout from Tangierine. With pictures, of course!

It has sure been an exciting few years in the Boston sports world!

Last edited by natebenma; 08-21-2010 at 06:55 PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 05:55 AM   #101
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queila View Post
Signing up.

Really enjoying what I have read so far. You guys seem to use your time very smartly. Good job.

Thanks for the pictures of the resort. The Beach Club is one of our "dream resorts" so maybe one day.

Looking forward o reading more.

Q
Hi Queila! Love your name! Thanks for reading!

I was gone for most of the day yesterday- marathon visit to the beach followed by flag football tryouts for both of my boys, but I did start reading your trip report. I loved your philosophy about "there's always next time" or "we will do this on the next trip", it is really the best approach with a toddler! This is also an attitude that long-suffering Red Sox fans are familiar with "Wait until next year!"

But of course the "we will do this next time" is not part of our trip strategy- I appreciate your comments about our efficiency and can only comment by quoting Bachman Turner-Overdrive "You ain't seen nothin' yet!" I'm still on my 2009 trip, but our trip in July 2010 was even more strategic!

When your daughter is older, the Beach Club will be a great place for all of you!!! I am so glad that we have been able to stay there twice. More pictures coming up when I finally get to 2010!

Last edited by natebenma; 08-21-2010 at 05:25 PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:34 AM   #102
natebenma
DIS Veteran

After changing in the BB dressing rooms and another quick bus ride, we were at the Animal Kingdom Lodge- Jambo House. We checked in our bags (backpack and Ziploc with wet waterpark clothes) with the bell desk for them to hold while we dined. Ben and I had been to Boma for breakfast in 2008, but it was the first time visiting the AKL for my husband and Nate , and we were early for our 5:30 reservation, so we looked around a bit.

Animal Kingdom Lodge- Jambo House lobby

Animal Kingdom Lodge- Savannah Walk

BOMA:

We checked in around 5:15 for our meal and were seated right away. The restaurant had just opened for dinner, so it wasnít too busy at first, but then it started to get crowded. Boma is just awesome! I will let my pictures do the talking. My only complaint is there is TOO much offered. Even with our great appetites, Mark and I wished we had more room to sample things again and again (and again). There are like 4-5 soups, at least 6 different salads, exciting starches (exotically flavored rice, potatoes, couscous), 3 flavors of hummus and a variety of breads, a bunch of meat, seafood and main dish selections and at least 3 tables of desserts!

Soups

Hummus

Kidís Selections

Desserts!

Next up, Hooray for Hollywood!
Old 08-22-2010, 07:11 AM   #103
momof3cuteboys
Mouseketeer

Dee,

Your pictures are fantastic. What type of camera do you use?
Jill
Old 08-22-2010, 07:59 AM   #104
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof3cuteboys View Post
Dee,

Your pictures are fantastic. What type of camera do you use?
Jill
Thank you!!!

I have an upcoming post with a lot of details about the
camera(s) used on my Disney trips. The pictures I have posted so far in this report are from an Olympus Stylus 1030SW. It is (was) a point and shoot, rated for underwater depths of 33 feet and shock resistant to drops of 15 feet. May it RIP.

The pictures from my 2010 trip were taken with a Canon D10, also point and shoot, waterproof to a depth of 33 feet.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:18 AM   #105
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Hey, Tara, I'm headed to my FOURTH park of the day!

Park 3: Hooray for Hollywood!

You have probably noticed that our family is a little creative in our travel around Disney World. One great advantage of the Beach Club and other EPCOT resorts is their proximity to both EPCOT and Hollywood Studios, which gives some interesting opportunities for travelling to and from these resorts.

To get from one resort (AKL) to another resort (BC), you usually need to transfer through one of the theme parks. After our dinner at Boma, we decided we would take a bus from AKL to Hollywood Studios, and since it was early (around 6:30), we might as well stop in for an attraction or two.

Here is the point in my report when I am going to mess with the time-space continuum a bit. The discovery I am about to explain actually happened this July when we took the bus from AKL to HS but I am just busting to share it, so I am going to pretend that it happened during the 2009 trip I am currently describing. I apologize, and fully disclose this embellishment to my story, but I suspect I am not the only one toying with the details of my trip report this week, if you know what I mean. Wink Wink!

As we exited the bus and headed towards the HS entrance, we passed a small green-colored building. I looked over and noticed that there were luggage lockers at this building, with a rental fee of $1 (4 quarters). Although I don’t often carry around a lot of cash at WDW, and usually no change, I did have a supply of quarters and pennies to use for pressed penny souvenirs. So we stashed our backpack and Ziploc of wet BB clothes in a GINORMOUS* INEXPENSIVE locker. How awesome is this??? Huge locker, we didn’t have anything that needed to be searched at bag check, and it was a huge savings from the $7 plus $5 deposit for a locker inside the park! About the only disadvantage of these lockers are that they are single use. You can’t keep coming back to get stuff, plus it would be inconvenient since it is outside of the park. But it was perfect for our needs.

* FYI: The dimensions are: 23"H x 16"W x 29" Deep. I looked it up.
I have since read that there are similar lockers at EPCOT (front of the park) and at the TTC, but I haven’t confirmed that there are any at Animal Kingdom.

Assignment for my readers: I didn’t think to take a picture of this building just outside of HS, and/or the lockers to post them here in my report and show everyone what I mean. Would any of you be willing to take on the mission of snapping a couple of photos during an upcoming trip and PM’ing, posting or e-mailing them to me when you get back?

Thanks kldmom2000 for taking this photo during your trip in August!

OK, back to the past… we now resume the trip report currently in progress: July 2009…

We skipped bag check and headed through the turnstiles of HS, probably around 7 PM for a quickie visit.

We walked onto the Great Movie Ride. I can’t think of a better way to start a visit to HS!

After exiting the GMR, we strolled over to Star Tours. Not much a wait here, either.

This sign has nothing to do with this visit, but I thought I would share it anyway. I made this for the boys to hold up at the beginning of Jedi Training Academy, but the boys did not want to try during this trip. Ben said he already did it, so he was all set.

I’m not sure if it was an EMH night or a Fantasmic night, but HS was pretty crowded and it had been a long busy day for us, so we left the studios and got onto the boat to the Beach Club. It was around 8:40 when we returned to our room.

The boys got ready for bed, and Mark and I talked about the great day we had. Animal Kingdom. Blizzard Beach. Boma. Hollywood Studios. Wait a minute! That’s only 3 parks!!!

Last edited by natebenma; 11-20-2010 at 12:36 PM. Reason: luggage locker photo

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: