Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 07:56 PM   #1366
flicx
Please stand clear of the doors!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger926 View Post
McDonald's and Disney ended their multi-year contract within the whole company, so it wasn't just to get rid of the Downtown Disney restaurant. They had to get rid of all McDonald's foods on property (AK and Epcot also sold products), as well as no more merchandise/movie/food tie-ins at the restaurants such as: free glasses or toys with Happy Meals.

Tiger
So did they also get rid of the McDonalds by the value resorts too? Boy I sure hope not,quite frankly the Mcdonalds cuisine was in our opinion much better than counter service at the parks.It also was alot more reasonably priced!
Old 09-02-2010, 08:25 PM   #1367
Suellen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by flicx View Post
So did they also get rid of the McDonalds by the value resorts too? Boy I sure hope not,quite frankly the Mcdonalds cuisine was in our opinion much better than counter service at the parks.It also was alot more reasonably priced!
Are you serious??? Gross. French fries that don't decompose or mold, um ever? Gross, gross, gross.

I wonder if people go outside the norm for quick service?

Epcot has a lot of really good ones, Cookes of Dublin at DTD? Yak and Yeti quick service?

I admit the burgers at QS are gross. We not big burger folks out and about so it isn't a huge problem.
Register to remove

Old 09-02-2010, 08:33 PM   #1368
flicx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suellen View Post
Are you serious??? Gross. French fries that don't decompose or mold, um ever? Gross, gross, gross.

I wonder if people go outside the norm for quick service?

Epcot has a lot of really good ones, Cookes of Dublin at DTD? Yak and Yeti quick service?

I admit the burgers at QS are gross. We not big burger folks out and about so it isn't a huge problem.
We love McDonalds ! Good breakfasts ,I think the pancakes and sausage is really good.The McDouble for a dollar is a alot better than any burger I ever had at disney(IMO).The fries, as long as they are warm taste great to us. My point is they are taking away alot of the truly affordable places for families on a budget to eat.Now I know it isn't the best food health wise,but everything in moderation!
Old 09-02-2010, 08:49 PM   #1369
Suellen
DIS Veteran

Like I said .... we don't eat the burgers at WDW as the last one I had was gross.

We ate VERY cost effective on our last trip. We did quick service dining which cost us 84$ a day.

Most meals we ordered two adult meals and a kids meal and "banked" an entitlement for later. We had MORE than enough for all of us. We were also able to stretch our meals to last longer this way too. FWIW ~ they were not able to tell us what entitlements were child meals and which were adult entitlements and since we had been splitting we just continued on this way.

So for 7 nights we paid: 588 and ate wonderful. We also took home 10 earl of sandwiches, fruit cups, drinks and chips worth over $120.00 this was good for us because we were driving and put these things in our cooler and had food and snacks the whole trip home! On top of that we got 2 snacks per person per day. I used most of those to bring snacks home to family (mickey rice crispie heads, fudge, cookies, etc) the snacks we had at the end we got $150 worth of stuff at the candy store to bring home AND had a snack whenever we wanted it through the week. Mickey ice creams, frozen cokes/lemonades. The girls got lollipops.

Some of the places we ate that made it really easy to spilt meals:

Cosmic Rays
Harbor House
Mexico Quick Service (also no kids menu here)
Cookes of Dublin
The Mara
Yak and Yeti

I'm sure there are more. We had some great QS Food. You do have to be picky though.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:50 PM   #1370
Suellen
DIS Veteran

I should have also mentioned we spent about $50 at Target and had breakfast in the room. One night we also did microwave popcorn and a movie in the room.

Love DVC rooms and free movie rentals!
Old 09-02-2010, 09:01 PM   #1371
flicx

Quote:
Like I said .... we don't eat the burgers at WDW as the last one I had was gross.

We ate VERY cost effective on our last trip. We did quick service dining which cost us 84$ a day.

Most meals we ordered two adult meals and a kids meal and "banked" an entitlement for later. We had MORE than enough for all of us. We were also able to stretch our meals to last longer this way too. FWIW ~ they were not able to tell us what entitlements were child meals and which were adult entitlements and since we had been splitting we just continued on this way.

So for 7 nights we paid: 588 and ate wonderful. We also took home 10 earl of sandwiches, fruit cups, drinks and chips worth over $120.00 this was good for us because we were driving and put these things in our cooler and had food and snacks the whole trip home! On top of that we got 2 snacks per person per day. I used most of those to bring snacks home to family (mickey rice crispie heads, fudge, cookies, etc) the snacks we had at the end we got $150 worth of stuff at the candy store to bring home AND had a snack whenever we wanted it through the week. Mickey ice creams, frozen cokes/lemonades. The girls got lollipops.

Cosmic Rays
Harbor House
Cookes of Dublin
The Mara
Yak and Yeti

I'm sure there are more. We had some great QS Food. You do have to be picky though.
We like cosmic rays and we liked the place close to RNR in hollywood that serves pork sandwiches.However I would love to see a good pizza place and a subway go in! In all our trips we have only ever eaten a table service meal once.Can't get by the big price tags on those.Our best meals ever at disney were when we brouught turkey from home and ate alot of sandwichs in the room. Of course a fancy meal for our family is a diner type of meal,hot turkey or roast beef sandwich.Never really cared for the fancy stuff.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:23 PM   #1372
Suellen
DIS Veteran

Actually I lied. We did have a burger me and my DD3 split a double burger (took the burger out ~ I think it is the roll I really don't like).

We usually do deluxe dining ~ but last time was LMT and we didn't have any ADR's and it was 4th of July week.... so we tried the QS and will do it again in a couple weeks. Honestly I think it is the best deal going. We liked the easy of just saying "hey lets go there". It was affordable, we loved the food.

We DO however have two kids under 9 so that makes it more affordable.

I thought of something... else... but kids...distracted me. Hmmmmm

Oh yeah! Pizza ~ the "best" we have found is at Toy Story Pizza Planet. Not GREAT by home standards but not bad for "away from home" pizza.

We will be trying Via Napoli... but I don't think they are a walk up? They should have slices you can buy! Yeah! That's it!
Old 09-02-2010, 09:34 PM   #1373
flicx

Quote:

Oh yeah! Pizza ~ the "best" we have found is at Toy Story Pizza Planet. Not GREAT by home standards but not bad for "away from home" pizza.

We will be trying Via Napoli... but I don't think they are a walk up? They should have slices you can buy! Yeah! That's it!
The pizza at disney is poor period.I would love to see pizza by the slice that was good .Tried all the different disney pizza places and nothing cut it.We like the large cuts like at seaside boardwalks,Michaelangelos,OIP etc.I hope the new place is good.I guess time will tell.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:38 PM   #1374
Suellen
DIS Veteran

the best pizza we have here in Maine is a place called Alex. yum! Individual pizza's with very little edge crust that is coated in cheese.... yummm makes me want one! so i pretty much don't love any other pizza. other pizza is only good at best, never great.

i think pizza is one of those things that can't be regionally duplicated to make everyone like it.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:45 PM   #1375
flicx

Quote:
the best pizza we have here in Maine is a place called Alex. yum! Individual pizza's with very little edge crust that is coated in cheese.... yummm makes me want one! so i pretty much don't love any other pizza. other pizza is only good at best, never great.

i think pizza is one of those things that can't be regionally duplicated to make everyone like it.
I have found good pizza almost everywhere I go.Disney is one of the few exceptions.Knoebels in PA is the best as far as I am concerned for theme parks.I guess I'm not alone as the win awards every year! The pizza at universal is pretty good too.NewYork NewYork in vegas has great pizza too.A little research and they could get a good recipe!
Old 09-02-2010, 09:50 PM   #1376
Suellen
DIS Veteran

maybe it's just me then. or me and my family. we really only love the one type. the rest is all only passable. That includes universal. Matter of taste. I've never had a pizza like the local one here.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:13 PM   #1377
Tiger926
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by flicx View Post
You are talking about the world's largest McDonald's right? It's right outside the Values with a huge play area and is open 24 hours? If so, this is not on Disney property, so I think it's still open. I believe we drove by it last month. We don't eat fast food, I can count on one hand the amount of times in my entire life we've eaten at McDonald's. We don't really eat a lot of CS food, but I honestly will disagree that McDonald's is better than Disney CS food. This is one area that has gone uphill, as far as I'm concerned. You can get: wraps, soup, hummus, roasted chicken, ribs, pannini sandwiches, just to name a few. There a few really good CS places that are far superior to McDonald's: Earl of Sandwich, Cooke's of Dublin, Wolfgang Puck Express, Tangeriene Cafe, Cosmic Ray's, Artist Palette and Sunshine Seasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1gitman View Post
so this means the McD's FF Wagon in Frontierland is gone?!

That was one of our guilty pleasures as they always had the best cooked FF's!
Not sure, as I don't eat McDonald's, but I'm pretty sure when I went by last month, they are still selling fries, but they aren't McDonald's fries. The cart in AK was selling fries and a few other things, but not McDonald's and the McDonald's Refreshment Port @ Epcot is now a Mexican themed area. No more McFlurry or fries - I hear lots of people complaining about that. My hubby liked to get the kids a McFlurry once in awhile from there.

Tiger
Old 09-02-2010, 10:58 PM   #1378
brunette8706
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Cosmic Rays
Harbor House
Cookes of Dublin
The Mara
Yak and Yeti

Hey Suellen!!!!

Why am I confused? i thought the dining plan was $41.00 per person which included :

1 TABLE SERVICE
1 COUNTER SERVICE
1 SNACK

Right? What am I missing? LOL!

Brunette
Old 09-02-2010, 11:05 PM   #1379
Suellen
DIS Veteran

Quick service dining. Two quick service meals, two snacks and a refillable mug. 31.99 for adults and 9.99 for kids.

Very affordable and we loved many of our meals! Forgot to mention Wolfgang Puck too! YUMMY!
Old 09-02-2010, 11:09 PM   #1380
brunette8706
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Quick service dining. Two quick service meals, two snacks and a refillable mug. 31.99 for adults and 9.99 for kids.

Very affordable and we loved many of our meals! Forgot to mention Wolfgang Puck too! YUMMY!
Got cha!!! I had no idea Wolfgang Puck was on that list. Are you talking about WG Puck express?

thanks!
Brunette

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: