Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 10:11 AM   #91
Tiger926
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rie'smom View Post
I'll address both of these. Lots of people seem not to think manners are important anymore and yes i do remember when guests were more polite. That said, the rude CMs discussed here are not doing their jobs properly. On some threads, people compare WDW to Six Flags with WDW being lots better. I agree but I also see more Six Flags type attitudes from CMs becoming the rule. It's unfortunate but most of the more polite and considerate CMs are the older people. Disney needs to begin stressing to the younger people that their attitudes can make a difference.
I absolutely disagree that younger CMs are to blame. In fact, our experiences have been the exact opposite. We have had some middle-aged and senior CMs who were downright nasty and rude in their attitudes and how they handled guests. I am thinking of a few right now during last July, this March and a few weeks ago, who were sarcastic and rude to myself and a few other guests. They honestly seemed tired and overworked, with no desire to be there.

On the other hand, most younger CMs have been extremely helpful to us most of the time.

I do not generalize at all, so these kinds of statements really irritate me. No matter what age, a person has the choice to act a certain way. So, continuously blaming young people, is just not going to cut it with me. Just like with rude guests - I see far more entitled adult to middle-aged parents (30-50 years) acting rude and crass with no sense of other guests surrounding them, yet these boards are full of teen tour group rants. I see so many adults in the parks, who do not know how to play well with others.

It honestly is not as easy as picking a certain age group, and labelling them as the culprit. There is a general difference in tone at Disney, as I mentioned earlier, IMHO. I see things that I have never seen in all my years of travelling to Disney in regards to CM behaviour and attitude. This is across the board, and I cannot define a certain age group to it, but in our experiences, as I mentioned, we have seen more rude and snarky behaviour from older CMs over the past few years.

Most of the time, we meet wonderful CMs (one of the hardest jobs as far as I'm concerned in terms of exposure to the public all day long) who make our stays pretty darn good, but just like in all retail and service sectors, there are some who don't seem to like, nor know their jobs very well. Does this mean Disney is going to crash and burn? Absolutely not - but perhaps it means that the increase in guests is taking its toll by creating overworked CMs, spread thin management and a sometimes feeling of things aren't like the good ole' days. I honestly don't know if things should, nor can be like the good ole' days, since Disney of today, is different. It is evolving and changing with the times...it would seem that staff is as well.

Tiger
Old 08-03-2010, 10:37 AM   #92
LowesChevy
The happy haunts have received your sympathetic vibrations and are beginning to materialize

Disney has had to deal with the same problems facing other businesses and households, but on a much larger scale. There are many things we need to improve at work like buying new computers or machinery, but we cannot justify spending the money at this time. There is a lot of uncertainty in our economy right now and we do not want to take risk and lose a fortune.

Most of us have become a little more conscious about how much we are spending on groceries, vacations, gifts, clothing, bills, and all other goods that cost money. Most of us have cut out a lot of the impulse or unecessary purchasing and are sticking to a strict budget. Disney is going to go with the flow like everyone else and try to save money where they can, like cutting back on staff and some services.

Have I seen a decline in WDW over the past 10 years? A little. Have they cut back on perks for guests? Yes. Are there some things I would like to see improved or fixed? You bet, but it doesn't ruin my vacation experience. We go every year and have a wonderful time. I agree that there are a few areas on property that could use some serious tlc!

I agree with the op that mentioned some of WDW's guests are just slobs, leaving food on tables when garbage cans are provided or not putting garbage in the trashcan. It is not all the fault of the service workers because there are a lot of piggies out there. One thing I cannot forgive though is a messy, filthy room that mousekeeping neglected. There is no excuse for that and I have read some poster's reviews on them, yuck!

As far as food, we stick with table service dining. It is more expensive, but the food quality is better than your basic counter service meal. We do not travel with kiddos or want to eat at the crazy expensive buffets and character meals.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-03-2010, 10:49 AM   #93
Purseval
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by labattblue View Post
My two biggest complaints about WDW...

1. I hate seeing lights burned out or other general maintenance that is clearly not a "new" problem. Next time you walk down Main St., take a look at all the bulbs burned out that outline the building perimeters. By the sheer numbers, it is clear that they all didn't burn out since the previous evening. In fact, I would guess you could go to MK for an entire week and the same bulbs would be burned out your entire stay. How much does it cost to send a CM down Main St. each evening in a cherry picker and with a box(or two or three) of light bulbs?
I remember reading an article on Disney many years ago stating that they replaced every light bulb when it was at 70% of its useable life to make sure that visitors would never see a burned out light bulb and ruin the magic. Obviously times have changed.

Quote:
2. Lack of new attractions. WDW knows they have problems with a lack of "major" attractions in DHS & AK, but other than TSM, what has been added in the two or three years, and even worse, nothing has been announced in terms of new attractions to be constructed in these parks.
They have the added problem now of being upstaged by another theme park. The Wizarding World Of Harry Potter destroys the notion that Disney is the only company that knows how to do Imagineering the way Toy Story blew away the image of Disney as the standard bearer in animation. Now they have to play catch up and they can't just buy Universal the way they did with Pixar.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:02 AM   #94
Zippa D Doodah
Suffering from Fairy Alienation. Is there a program for that?
I'm such a shameless taghound!
I am an unabashed Q-tipper !

I do agree that WDW has "gone downhill" a bit. The economic environment has meant that a few too many decisions have been made to emphasize short-term profit rather than long-term viability. On the face of it that is OK, because -after all -Disney is a business and their only obligation is to their stockholders. However it is a dangerous game to play because eventually selling the soul of your corporate identity catches up with you. I am confident though that Disney will get WDW back on track (inasmuch as it is off track) as soon as possible. My general disagreement with corporate policy about not doing enough to add value to the parks is one big reason I have not joined DVC.

The good news is that the park experience remains a great one. We have a deliriously good time every day we walk through the gates of a Disney park. I trust Disney with my vacations. That is saying something because I highly value my vacations.

The one huge reason I keep going back to WDW again and again is that I can do it for about the same money I would blow on a family trip to Myrtle Beach. I appreciate them keeping costs down, and understand that to do so they can't/won't run Spectro every night, give me prime rib on a buffet, or frozen coke at Pop.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:21 AM   #95
brunette8706
DIS Veteran

Disney as a whole is great! So I do concur with many here. But they do have to work on many things that have tarnished. One example, is the buffets. Okay, like I said earlier I did have an ADR for BOMA, best buffet at WDW in my opinion. But they are now charging $37.59 for this dinner. They are charging all guest a SUR-CHARGE!! WHY? Because they can. Right? Well it's in the months where most people take their children from June through August 15th. Well, in my mind it's called "gouging" the guests. Yes, as stated earlier I did cancel my ADR at BOMA and opted for Shula's with the restaurant.com $25.00 off certificate. Sorry, they're not going to gouge me for that restaurant. And to think that BOMA was $25.99 in 2007, boy it has gotten way too expensive. I personally don't like this type of business model. And I think pretty soon they are going to price themselves out and people will start bringing their own lunch or go offsite or opt for counter service. This type of thing just irritates me. Sorry, had to vent.

Brunette

Last edited by brunette8706; 08-03-2010 at 11:29 AM.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:26 AM   #96
kittythepoohbear
Mouseketeer

The short answer is yes, I do think Disney has gone down hill in recent years. Too many little things that once would be deemed unthinkable when speaking of Disney are happening. There is a lack of general maintenance (paint chipping terribly, burnt out light bulbs, overgrown landscaping), a decrease in customer service (NOT a comment against CMs, but an overall dip resort-wide), a lack of cohesive theming and, sometimes, outright lack of imagination when it comes to the parks and attractions. Why is the Yeti broken at EE, especially when the attraction is only about 5 years old? Almost twenty years after adding it's last E ticket attraction, MK is seeing a large expansion to add...meet and greets, a couple of restaurants, and a C ticket ride?

These changes are more apparent the longer you have been visiting the resort. Those who only started going in the last decade may not notice too much of a difference. Those who started going in the 90's probably see a dip. Those who went in the 80's, like me, see more of the "Walmarting" going on. I've met many people who started going in the 70's who no longer want to travel to WDW because of the decrease in services and the price increases.

Unfortunately, Disney as a corporation has decided to put quality behind profits, whereas "old" Disney saw that quality and customer satisfaction increased profits. But, being that WDW gets so many new visitors every year who don't even know that the Yeti is supposed to move or that, for a short window of time, food quality in the WDW restaurants was really quite good, there is no incentive for Disney Co. to change tactics. I didn't renew my annual pass and, while I do plan to return, am looking on spending my vacation time and money at other destinations much more often than in the past.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:27 AM   #97
Zippa D Doodah
Suffering from Fairy Alienation. Is there a program for that?
I'm such a shameless taghound!
I am an unabashed Q-tipper !

Brunette, the decent thing is that Disney does give us choices. For me, once was enough blowing $150 for eggs and french toast at Cinderella's castle. It hasn't cramped my style to cut back on a TS dinner or two per trip either. The good part is that there are other tasty food choices.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:33 AM   #98
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purseval View Post
Last time we tried to book into DVC through RCI there was a $100 surcharge to use ME (even though we drive in), Internet (which is free at any fast food restaurant, gives you an idea of how much tht costs) and other worthless items which you would think should be included at the prices they charge for DVC membership. Do they charge DVC people also or is that just another way to gouge visitors?
In-room internet is free for DVC members staying at DVC resorts on points. However, it is wired, not wireless. For a wireless connection one must bring one's own router.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:34 AM   #99
brunette8706
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippa D Doodah View Post
Brunette, the decent thing is that Disney does give us choices. For me, once was enough blowing $150 for eggs and french toast at Cinderella's castle. It hasn't cramped my style to cut back on a TS dinner or two per trip either. The good part is that there are other tasty food choices.
Hi Zippa D doodah!

Yes, there certainly is. I just loved BOMA! LOL! And I just hate the fact about this so called surcharge for buffets. It just isn't right. But, you're correct, that's why I'm going to Shula's! LOL! I may go back to BOMA when they don't have the "sur-charge" though.

Brunette
Old 08-03-2010, 11:35 AM   #100
brunette8706
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittythepoohbear View Post
The short answer is yes, I do think Disney has gone down hill in recent years. Too many little things that once would be deemed unthinkable when speaking of Disney are happening. There is a lack of general maintenance (paint chipping terribly, burnt out light bulbs, overgrown landscaping), a decrease in customer service (NOT a comment against CMs, but an overall dip resort-wide), a lack of cohesive theming and, sometimes, outright lack of imagination when it comes to the parks and attractions. Why is the Yeti broken at EE, especially when the attraction is only about 5 years old? Almost twenty years after adding it's last E ticket attraction, MK is seeing a large expansion to add...meet and greets, a couple of restaurants, and a C ticket ride?

These changes are more apparent the longer you have been visiting the resort. Those who only started going in the last decade may not notice too much of a difference. Those who started going in the 90's probably see a dip. Those who went in the 80's, like me, see more of the "Walmarting" going on. I've met many people who started going in the 70's who no longer want to travel to WDW because of the decrease in services and the price increases.

Unfortunately, Disney as a corporation has decided to put quality behind profits, whereas "old" Disney saw that quality and customer satisfaction increased profits. But, being that WDW gets so many new visitors every year who don't even know that the Yeti is supposed to move or that, for a short window of time, food quality in the WDW restaurants was really quite good, there is no incentive for Disney Co. to change tactics. I didn't renew my annual pass and, while I do plan to return, am looking on spending my vacation time and money at other destinations much more often than in the past.

Great post. Good points!
Old 08-03-2010, 12:02 PM   #101
ols386
I want to live at Disney World!!

I've always thought Disney resort prices were extremely high, even with a discount, I still think they are high.

IMO, the quality of food has diminished. In general, I don't think their food is as good as it once was, and prices are higher now.

Even though some things Disney have slacked a bit, the people still keep coming.
CBR October 2010, Polynesian December 2009, Wilderness Lodge September 2009, POFQ March 2009, DCL (Wonder) May 2008, Port Orleans Riverside January 2008, Contemporary Resort January 2007, Coronado Springs Resort January 2006, DCL (Wonder) February 2005, POP April 2004, Grand Floridian November 2003, Caribbean Beach Resort March 2002, DCL (Magic) March 2001, Various Visits During Past 15 Years
Old 08-03-2010, 12:06 PM   #102
disneychic
DIS Veteran

Actually, I don't think Disney has gone down hill at all. I can only speak for myself/my family. But, every single vacation has been magical. We count down the days to our next trip with just as much excitment as we did ten years ago.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:10 PM   #103
LuluLovesDisney
If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!
I guess Rainy Days are definitely a "turn on"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittythepoohbear View Post

ITA! Has anyone ever voiced a complaint like this to WDW and what has been the response?
Old 08-03-2010, 12:13 PM   #104
lilosurf11
Mouseketeer

I LOVE going to WDW and my problem is with Pleasure Island's West Side. I get that Disney is family oriented and that's fine and dandy. However, I hate what they have done to PI West Side. Growing up, I couldn't wait for the day I turned 21 so I could go bar hopping and clubbing at PI. I'm SO disappointed that they are gone.
Sometimes adults just need an escape and I thought PI West Side was the perfect place for that.
I actually don't know why they wanted to make PI WS more family-oriented but if anyone knows, please let me know!

I also miss the attractions that were in the parks when I was a kid (Food rocks, anyone?) Disney has gone "downhill" for me in that sense.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:32 PM   #105
4HppyCamprs
DIS Veteran

Last year was our first trip but there were a couple of things that were disappointing to me. 1. Mousekeeping totally skipped cleaning our room one day and didnt leave a single towel (clean or dirty!) but made sure to take their tip and then I got attitude from the desk when I called to request towels.

2. The CM's seemed to stand around and complain about their jobs quite frequently. This is not what I want to hear when I am on vacation. I have a job too and I dont always enjoy it but when I am near customers or with customers or at work for that matter I do not stand in groups of 3 or more and complain about my job. Needless to say their were providing NO service while complaining to each other.

3. Food- I understand that people think free dining is evil but really when you get free dining you give up all other discounts so if people where not using free dining they would be requesting some other discount..Umm 40% pin anyone?? I do not mind paying for food. I do not like paying premium prices though for subpar food and that is how I felt. It was hit or miss with service and the food was hit or miss with quality. I can pay 26.00 for a steak alacart down town chicago but I will get good steak every time I go and I have had servers that WANT my business and go out of their way to service my family. I have never been anywhere besides Disney where i have been told not only once but more than once during a converstion on how I could handle tipping.

So would I cancel Disney no. Would I dine at the restuarants without free dining no. Not because of the price but because the quality and service is so inconsistant that I would not risk it.
09 ASMu 1st Visit! Grandma came too! Free dining 2010 POR 2nd Visit! Grandma is along for the ride! Free dining! 03/05-09/2012 POLY here we come!! We love Disney and Grandma does too! No dining plan and we loved it! DoubleTree DTD: 3/10-3/15/13 The whole gang! Best Trip yet! First Cruise: 1/6-1/10/14 Disney Magic. 2nd Cruise: 10/23-10/28/15 Disney Magic.
Me: Heather DH: DS #1 (11/04) DS #2 (2/09) DD (08/11) rincess:
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: