Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 02:17 PM   #901
WDSearcher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyNY View Post
It did affect line positions. "Less pay, more hours" is direct affect.
Not "less pay". "More hours," maybe. But as most line positions are hourly, "more hours" means "more pay", and at least some of it is probably at OT.

Quote:
Holiday season has less hours, worse weather and more expensive then other seasons, so decorations is a compensation, sort of. Many people go specifically to see decorations and saving on it is a Ripoff, no less. And where exactly saved money goes to? Lets get rid of all CMs and save even more.
Most of holiday season is no more expensive than any other season. Sure, the week between Christmas and New Years is more expensive, but the parks are open longer too, so it kind of depends on the week. You can go during the beginning of December and pay the same prices as the folks who went during other slower times. That's why folks on the DIS always recommend the beginning of December. And even the beginning of December has Osborne Lights, Candlelight, Castle Lights -- but yet the folks in September get none of that and pay the same prices. So you ARE getting more for your holiday dollar. The worse weather during the holidays is obviously something Disney cannot control. But really ... how is holiday season weather any worse than the tropical storms and rain that we're getting now? Why should people pay more when most of their day is spent in the rain?

Quote:
They offered me FPs as a conpensation for inconvenience, the usual Disney way to deal with complains on site and no I did not accept.
What would you have preferred they do? Clearly, they should have emptied the trash and cleaned the smoking areas -- hopefully they did. Did you happen to notice if the problem was taken care of, or was the offer of FPs only after you had complained multiple times? (Just trying to see if the resort acted on the complaint in addition to offering you something or if they just offered you FPs and ignored the trash.)

Quote:
Those lovely drowings inspired by cartoons so not much creativity and does not need 5 years to design if you ask me.
I'm sure WDI would disagree.

Quote:
And do you think BOYS just were born in a last couple of months. Exactly how "market changed"?
Oh my gosh -- there have been tons of articles about how everything from toys to books to clothing has shifted in sales from girls to boys. How little boys are approaching the type of consumer power that little girls have always had. Look at any article about merchandising for kids or marketing to kids or popularity of boy-centric vs. girl-centric product and you can see how there has been a defined shift over the past few years. Wall Street Journal, NY Times, LA Times, every marketing trade publication ... the shift in buying power has been everywhere in the business sections.

Quote:
Disney ignored them and when public spoke they decided to adjust but were BOYS a news for Disney, no.
But isn't that what any company is supposed to do? The public spoke, and Disney adjusted. Disney has never ignored boys (pirates, anyone?), but until now, boys just didn't buy as much stuff. And so Disney (and lots of other companies) have adapted to address a new level of buying power that little boys now have.

Quote:
Yes, every project changes multiple times but Expansion principle is the same, lets go with what is save and easy. Again, nothing new at all. Is this a Walt way? No, he was daring in his ideas and this is why we even have Disney. And according to how Disney presented idea in regards to Universal, it was definitely a fast reaction, nothing else.
OK. We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I won't change your mind, and you won't change mine.

Quote:
Universal tickets were same for years. However I pay for tickets more and more at Disney every year.
OK ... but if that's true, how can Universal and Disney be charging exactly the same amount for a one day ticket? If Universal stayed the same "for years", then they either jumped a huge amount all at one time, or they increased their prices several times in one year, otherwise they'd still be cheaper than Disney. Clearly, they've kept pace with Disney on price increases or it would cost less to go there.

Old 08-24-2010, 02:24 PM   #902
brunette8706
DIS Veteran

Have A Magical Day.

Last edited by brunette8706; 08-24-2010 at 04:40 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-24-2010, 02:29 PM   #903
brunette8706
DIS Veteran

WDSearcher says: OK ... but if that's true, how can Universal and Disney be charging exactly the same amount for a one day ticket? If Universal stayed the same "for years", then they either jumped a huge amount all at one time, or they increased their prices several times in one year, otherwise they'd still be cheaper than Disney. Clearly, they've kept pace with Disney on price increases or it would cost less to go there.

Well, they're not. A lot of times Universal has promotions where you can buy one day get the second and or third day for FREE.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:33 PM   #904
WDSearcher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut23 View Post
Perhaps your view does not offer as wide a vision as my husband's. Lucky you!
Different departments were definitely affected in different ways. I'm sorry your husband's seemed to have taken more of a hit.

Old 08-24-2010, 02:50 PM   #905
brunette8706
DIS Veteran

WDSearcher, do you think Disney has to address any type of service or product that is below par? Or do you think everything is peachy keen and perfect at WDW? I will add that Disney is a great place to vacation and it is still magical, but they do need to address some underlying issues.

You seem to have a rebuttal on what everyone here states, based on THEIR opinion You also, seem to be getting defensive and argumentative with people's opinions. Then you tell us that because we're "discussing" issues on the DIS board it's not going to make Disney make any hard changes. It's as if you are apologizing for Disney. And what we're saying is not going to do a darn thing. This thread started out just as a discussion, not a petition, just a topic to discuss issues within WDW. I never stated that this would be medium to get Disney's attention. Most of what YOU state is your opinion, and nothing factual.

Brunette

Last edited by brunette8706; 08-24-2010 at 04:07 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:02 PM   #906
WDSearcher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunette8706 View Post
WDSearcher says: OK ... but if that's true, how can Universal and Disney be charging exactly the same amount for a one day ticket? If Universal stayed the same "for years", then they either jumped a huge amount all at one time, or they increased their prices several times in one year, otherwise they'd still be cheaper than Disney. Clearly, they've kept pace with Disney on price increases or it would cost less to go there.

Well, they're not.
But the one-day cost for a Universal ticket is still the same as a one-day cost for a Disney ticket. They have kept pace in ticket prices.

A two-day park hopper ticket to Universal is $134.99. That breaks down to $67.50 per day for two parks. A two-day park hopper ticket to Disney is $230.04, which breaks down to $115.02 per day for four parks. So at Disney, you're paying $47.52 more for two more parks. That's twice as many parks for less than twice the price. Seems like a good deal to me. YMMV

A seven-day park hopper ticket to Universal is $174.99, which breaks down to $25 per day for two parks. A seven-day park hopper ticket to Disney is $320.57, or $45.80 per day for four parks. Again ... you get twice as many parks for less than twice the price.

Universal doesn't list 5-day and 6-day prices on its site. But the difference between a 4-day and a 7-day ticket to Universal is $30. The difference between a 4-day and a 7-day ticket to Disney is $15.98. Which means that those extra days cost an average of $10 each at Universal and $5.32 each at Disney.

So ... who's really got the better deal? If you just look at the prices without considering how many parks, rides, shows, or experiences you get at Disney vs. Universal, then obviously you're going to think Universal is cheaper. But if you look at how much is available to you with a Universal ticket vs. a Disney ticket, then Disney is actually the better deal. Plus ... at Universal you're paying for FP unless you're on-site, and Universal has no type of complimentary airport transportation for their on-property guests. Disney's FPs are free, and so is Magical Express.

In my opinion, the pricing is comparable. You may not agree.

Quote:
A lot of times Universal has promotions where you can buy one day get the second and or third day for FREE.
How is that different than Disney offering hotel discounts? Both are designed to get people into the parks. Same motive, different method. It's not like Universal is offering free park days because they like you best. They're doing it to get more business.

Last edited by WDSearcher; 08-24-2010 at 03:39 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:07 PM   #907
Tiger926
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDSearcher View Post
Most of holiday season is no more expensive than any other season. Sure, the week between Christmas and New Years is more expensive, but the parks are open longer too, so it kind of depends on the week. You can go during the beginning of December and pay the same prices as the folks who went during other slower times. That's why folks on the DIS always recommend the beginning of December. And even the beginning of December has Osborne Lights, Candlelight, Castle Lights -- but yet the folks in September get none of that and pay the same prices. So you ARE getting more for your holiday dollar. The worse weather during the holidays is obviously something Disney cannot control. But really ... how is holiday season weather any worse than the tropical storms and rain that we're getting now? Why should people pay more when most of their day is spent in the rain?
Just wanted to comment that this is incorrect. During the Christmas/NYE holiday season, resorts cost more (Disney and DVC) and holiday buffet surcharges are in effect for many restaurants too. As well, those of us with TIW cards, have 2 blackout dates in effect in which our discount is not accepted either. So, that makes travelling to the parks during that time, more expensive for certain components of your trip, namely food and accommodations.

Just wanted to point this out, Tiger
Old 08-24-2010, 03:17 PM   #908
WDSearcher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
WDSearcher, do you think Disney has to address any type of service or product that is below par? Or do you think everything is peachy keen and perfect at WDW? I will add that Disney is a great place to vacation and it is still magical, but they do need to address some underlying issues.
Brunette -- where have I said that Disney does not need to address product that is below par? Where have I said that everything is peachy keen and perfect? I don't think I have. What I have done is to urge anyone who finds things wrong with WDW to write to Disney and tell them. Because if no one tells them, then they will not know. How is that being an apologist?

Quote:
You seem to have a rebuttal on what everyone here states, based on THEIR opinion You also, seem to be getting defensive and argumentative with people's opinions. Then you tell us that because we're "discussing" issues on the DIS board it's not going to make Disney make any hard changes. It's as if you are apologizing for Disney. And what we're saying is not going to do a darn thing. Most of what YOU state is your opinion, and nothing factual.

Brunette
Most of what you state is your opinion too. I mean ... none of us are privy to WDW's ten-year plan. None of us sit in the board room and know what they're planning to do tomorrow, do we? None of us are in on planning sessions or budget meetings. It's all opinion based on things we've observed or read or believe. You have your opinions; I have mine. Why don't mine count?

And no ... I don't believe that a bunch of people complaining on a chat board is going to change anything if those people don't also take the time to write or e-mail Disney directly. That is my opinion. If you believe that what you're saying here is going to cause changes, then that's your opinion. I don't see how I'm any more defensive or argumentative about my opinions than you (or Kelly or others) are about theirs. We're both passionate in what we believe. We're both certain that we're right and that the other person is wrong. I'm providing what I believe to be evidence and information to back up my side; you're providing what you believe to be evidence and information to back up yours. We're discussing it. I don't understand what the problem is?

Old 08-24-2010, 03:36 PM   #909
brunette8706
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Brunette -- where have I said that Disney does not need to address product that is below par? Where have I said that everything is peachy keen and perfect? I don't think I have. What I have done is to urge anyone who finds things wrong with WDW to write to Disney and tell them. Because if no one tells them, then they will not know. How is that being an apologist?

It's being a Disney apologist because you have refuted everyone and I mean everyone's opinion on this board that does not agree with you. It's as though, YOU have made excuses as to why Disney does the things it does such as: They cut corners because it's going to cost laborers X amount of money to put up extra decorations,at Christmas time and other excuses that you stated. You are making excuses for Disney. It seems Disney can erect the Osbourne light show at Hollywood Studios, which I'm sure took weeks to accomplish, but they took down the Lights of Winter at EPCOT? It just boggles my mind why they would do this.

Most of what you state is your opinion too. I mean ... none of us are privy to WDW's ten-year plan. None of us sit in the board room and know what they're planning to do tomorrow, do we? None of us are in on planning sessions or budget meetings. It's all opinion based on things we've observed or read or believe. You have your opinions; I have mine. Why don't mine count?

You're opinions do count, but you write them as though they are fact, when in fact they are not. You have been incorrect on alot of your thoughts.

And no ... I don't believe that a bunch of people complaining on a chat board is going to change anything if those people don't also take the time to write or e-mail Disney directly. That is my opinion. If you believe that what you're saying here is going to cause changes, then that's your opinion. I don't see how I'm any more defensive or argumentative about my opinions than you (or Kelly or others) are about theirs. We're both passionate in what we believe. We're both certain that we're right and that the other person is wrong. I'm providing what I believe to be evidence and information to back up my side; you're providing what you believe to be evidence and information to back up yours. We're discussing it. I don't understand what the problem is?

Once again YOU refute everyone's opinion. This is where you come off as somewhat mean spirited and or condescending. Sorry, but that's the way I read it.

Old 08-24-2010, 03:43 PM   #910
brunette8706
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger926 View Post
Just wanted to comment that this is incorrect. During the Christmas/NYE holiday season, resorts cost more (Disney and DVC) and holiday buffet surcharges are in effect for many restaurants too. As well, those of us with TIW cards, have 2 blackout dates in effect in which our discount is not accepted either. So, that makes travelling to the parks during that time, more expensive for certain components of your trip, namely food and accommodations.

Just wanted to point this out, Tiger
Hi Tiger!

Yes, that is very correct. Take for example the Boardwalk. During value season for 2010 costs are $340 a night, during Holiday season, Christmas it's $540.00 a night. That's roughly a 40 percent increase per night! And you are right the sur-charges do apply to $4.00 or $5.00 per person. It's expensive indeed. Thanks for pointing that out.

Brunette
Old 08-24-2010, 03:58 PM   #911
TLSnell1981

Sense isn't very common anymore
I can't wait for T shirts and cover ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut23 View Post

DH has watched it from the inside so I'll go with his analysis or just listen to a front-line castmember to hear the reality.
Quote:
I've watched it from the inside too.

"Perception is one's own reality". It depends on the view. A front-line CM will often disagree with the opinion of management... both may have valid points.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:08 PM   #912
WDSearcher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
It's being a Disney apologist because you have refuted everyone and I mean everyone's opinion on this board that does not agree with you.
But haven't you done the same thing? Isn't part of the discussion process to try and prove your own point? To refute what the other side has said and try to explain your POV?

Quote:
You're opinions do count, but you write them as though they are fact, when in fact they are not. You have been incorrect on alot of your thoughts.
You write yours as though they're facts too. And, in my opinion, you have also been incorrect on alot of your thoughts.

Quote:
Once again YOU refute everyone's opinion. This is where you come off as somewhat mean spirited and or condescending. Sorry, but that's the way I read it.
It's interesting that we each read the other the same way. I got that same "mean spirited and condescending" vibe from you, particularly when you wrote

"WDSearcher = Disney apologist"

I may have come across in a way you didn't like, but I never called you names or gave you a label.

At any rate, I'm clearly the minority here and I know when I'm beaten. My intent was not to come off as argumentative or mean. And I certainly didn't mean to come across as anything other than passionate about my point of view.

I will move on to other topics and hope that everyone's next Disney vacation is better and more magical than their last Disney vacation!

Old 08-24-2010, 04:24 PM   #913
Indiana Rose Lee
Baby Factory Extraordinaire! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSnell1981 View Post
"Perception is one's own reality". It depends on the view. A front-line CM will often disagree with the opinion of management... both may have valid points.
absolutely.

wdw, I don't see addressing statements as rude, and did appreciate your insight.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:35 PM   #914
brunette8706
DIS Veteran

Quote:
But haven't you done the same thing? Isn't part of the discussion process to try and prove your own point? To refute what the other side has said and try to explain your POV?

You write yours as though they're facts too. And, in my opinion, you have also been incorrect on alot of your thoughts.

It's interesting that we each read the other the same way. I got that same "mean spirited and condescending" vibe from you, particularly when you wrote

"WDSearcher = Disney apologist"

I may have come across in a way you didn't like, but I never called you names or gave you a label.

At any rate, I'm clearly the minority here and I know when I'm beaten. My intent was not to come off as argumentative or mean. And I certainly didn't mean to come across as anything other than passionate about my point of view.

I will move on to other topics and hope that everyone's next Disney vacation is better and more magical than their last Disney vacation!

WDSearcher-

I apologize if you thought I was mean to you. That was not my intention at all. My label to you was meant in jest, and you can surely see what my contention was/ or is. You have every right to be on this thread, but once again, I just don't understand your actions or shall I say "re"actions when people post their comments. That's all. I love to see all points of view here on this thread, but when it gets to be to the point where all you do is, argue with all the other posters it just get's to be a bit much in my opinon, that's all. Yes, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Maybe we should just agree to disagree.

Lastly, I will retract my comment.

Have a Magical Day.

Brunette
Old 08-24-2010, 05:44 PM   #915
KellyNY
DIS Veteran

Quote:
And no ... I don't believe that a bunch of people complaining on a chat board is going to change anything if those people don't also take the time to write or e-mail Disney directly. That is my opinion.
You know, maybe we are a bunch of people, bunch who are passionate about Disney and if we see what is wrong, imagine what people who are not that passionate might think. Let me tell you, go once, spend lots of money, put a check against Disney vacation with a note "overrated" and never come back. Many people complain, many write letters including us here, just because they are not on this board does not mean they do not exist. The article couple pages ago specifically say people are not happy with prices, not disboards but overall, meaning people do speak out. Question is, if anyone listening.

DESPERADOS, AND LOVING IT !!!

HO HO HO
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: