Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 08-23-2010, 11:01 PM   #856
LuluLovesDisney
If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!
I guess Rainy Days are definitely a "turn on"!
 
LuluLovesDisney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Fantasyland (it's so true!)
Posts: 5,250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art 1 View Post
With all the respect due to you your statement tells me that you may not have a good understanding of business. Very few people do.
It seems to me that all the people who have this "understanding of business" DON'T understand what it is like to work the "front lines" every day. I am a former CM and I know what it is like to try to exude pixie dust while working barely above minimum wage. I hate to see so many people "at the top" expect people on the front lines to do so much with so little. I know I don't understand business very well, I guess, but I do understand how it feels for the CMs to lose their jobs or see so many friends let go or working on a "skeleton" crew.
LuluLovesDisney is offline  
Old 08-23-2010, 11:26 PM   #857
Donut23
Long-Time Disney Fan
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,451

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuluLovesDisney View Post
It seems to me that all the people who have this "understanding of business" DON'T understand what it is like to work the "front lines" every day. I am a former CM and I know what it is like to try to exude pixie dust while working barely above minimum wage. I hate to see so many people "at the top" expect people on the front lines to do so much with so little. I know I don't understand business very well, I guess, but I do understand how it feels for the CMs to lose their jobs or see so many friends let go or working on a "skeleton" crew.

I SOOOOOO MUCH UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE SAYING.

Whew....ok.

DH is a 32 year castmember, as I have said before. In the last 2 years he has seen some departments loose 64% of staff....others eliminated completely and rehired as daily hires.....less $$$ and no benefits.

One thing for sure, when you are working with fewer staff, your work is more stressful. This stress and the worry about what will happen during the NEXT layoffs will eventually erode ANY Pixie Dust castmembers can maintain. It's impossible to NOT be affected by this.....castmembers are human after all!

I know...people have given us many reasons to justify corporate cutbacks.

I hope the same people try to realize the impact on the front line PEOPLE who are trying very - very hard for very - very little $$$$.

These are very challenging times for those on the inside looking out.
Donut23 is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 08-23-2010, 11:32 PM   #858
Donut23
Long-Time Disney Fan
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,451

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeyistheman View Post
I could not read through every post because many seemed to be saying the same thing.

I have been in the travel business for 17 years and Disney has been my speciality. However, many brought up some good points about the VALUE that Disney offers year after year and now FREE DINING throughout next year on select dates! Talk about a great value.

EVERYONE is hurting right now and Disney is no different. I remember when they had those lay offs and many friends were let go even in the executive level. Business is Business.

I think people expect things for nothing now as well and when its not done immediatly they get upset and start to blame people.

If you want a preferred room pay for it, don't just expect to get upgraded.

Their rates have gone up EVERY SINGLE YEAR, since I started booking them 16 years ago, so when people get upset that the rates went up come on, it happens.

However, how great is it that they DO NOT charge for Magical Express!! They don't charge for Fast Pass or even Early/Late Extra Hours.

Those are huge benefits that I can see that they are still offering without a fee.

I eat at pretty much the same places every time I go down and have never noticed bad food or service.

If anything I have always been met with excellent service and always notice when its being done to someone else. However, I also notice when people start ranting and raving thinking that will get them further than asking nicely.

I have no patience or time for people like that, just like in my business. I know what they want, they just think I'll get upgraded, guess what no you won't.

You get what you pay for. I also look at their Value Resorts and Pop Century which I do stay at most times I travel there, has been up to par from day one, great service and the rooms are always spotless.

I just don't understand when some people complain about certain things, what do you expect Disney to do? Give you something for free because you didn't like their food? That is ridiculous. I have gone to restaurants and didn't like their food. Should I complalin?

I just think that Disney does a great job and sometimes they do miss, but not often otherwise they would not have as many of us going back year after year after year after year.


As a former Travel Professional all I can say is....WOW!

Last edited by Donut23; 08-23-2010 at 11:44 PM.
Donut23 is offline  
Old 08-23-2010, 11:37 PM   #859
TLSnell1981

Sense isn't very common anymore
I can't wait for T shirts and cover ups
 
TLSnell1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,233

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuluLovesDisney View Post
It seems to me that all the people who have this "understanding of business" DON'T understand what it is like to work the "front lines" every day. I am a former CM and I know what it is like to try to exude pixie dust while working barely above minimum wage. I hate to see so many people "at the top" expect people on the front lines to do so much with so little. I know I don't understand business very well, I guess, but I do understand how it feels for the CMs to lose their jobs or see so many friends let go or working on a "skeleton" crew.
I think, it's a good thing to put suits on the front line. It gives a much better perspective of the inner workings. Sometimes, the rights or wrongs become very clear. My great-grandmother always told us, "not to judge a man until you've walked in his moccasins". I hold that true today. You need to know your comapany, who has the fire and who doesn't. There's not one job in our company that DH can't or won't do. It gives him a better idea of where things are and how to improve. It also shows his employees their job is important. We all play a part in the success
TLSnell1981 is offline  
Old 08-23-2010, 11:42 PM   #860
rie'smom
"Always let your conscience be your guide."
I cannot look at my hamburger after I've taken a bite
Toilet paper must come over the top!
 
rie'smom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 19,069

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeyistheman View Post
I could not read through every post because many seemed to be saying the same thing.

I have been in the travel business for 17 years and Disney has been my speciality. However, many brought up some good points about the VALUE that Disney offers year after year and now FREE DINING throughout next year on select dates! Talk about a great value.

EVERYONE is hurting right now and Disney is no different. I remember when they had those lay offs and many friends were let go even in the executive level. Business is Business.

I think people expect things for nothing now as well and when its not done immediatly they get upset and start to blame people.

If you want a preferred room pay for it, don't just expect to get upgraded.

Their rates have gone up EVERY SINGLE YEAR, since I started booking them 16 years ago, so when people get upset that the rates went up come on, it happens.

However, how great is it that they DO NOT charge for Magical Express!! They don't charge for Fast Pass or even Early/Late Extra Hours.

Those are huge benefits that I can see that they are still offering without a fee.

I eat at pretty much the same places every time I go down and have never noticed bad food or service.

If anything I have always been met with excellent service and always notice when its being done to someone else. However, I also notice when people start ranting and raving thinking that will get them further than asking nicely.

I have no patience or time for people like that, just like in my business. I know what they want, they just think I'll get upgraded, guess what no you won't.

You get what you pay for. I also look at their Value Resorts and Pop Century which I do stay at most times I travel there, has been up to par from day one, great service and the rooms are always spotless.

I just don't understand when some people complain about certain things, what do you expect Disney to do? Give you something for free because you didn't like their food? That is ridiculous. I have gone to restaurants and didn't like their food. Should I complalin?

I just think that Disney does a great job and sometimes they do miss, but not often otherwise they would not have as many of us going back year after year after year after year.

Can't say I blame you for being upset that people are dogging your specialty.

That doesn't meanthe complaints aren't valid. If Disney has been your specialty for 15 years you have to have noticed how things have changed and I'm not talking about for the better.
As for Disney providing ME, that's to keep people onsite and spending their vacation $$$$ at WDW. It isn't done because they are kind and loving. Not saying that it isn't a shrewd business idea but it is about business.
rie'smom is offline  
Old 08-24-2010, 01:18 AM   #861
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist
 
Planogirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Frisco,Texas
Posts: 45,794

I see a constant point running throughout this thread and it is cutbacks on staffing. Items needing paint and other maintenance, food tasting more automated, CM's not being as friendly as before and so on indicate Disney trying to do too much with too little IMO.

It's still a fun place to go to though. I just wonder how dumbed down the product can become before the general public starts to notice enough to stay away though...
__________________
PG
Planogirl is offline  
Old 08-24-2010, 06:08 AM   #862
sam_justice
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 86

After reading this thread and being on the forum (albeit for a short time) it would be apparent to me that this is single handedly the largest Disney World online community around.
Maybe it's worth some people taking photos of the areas that are in need of repair and renovation, gathering together the general opinion and doing some kind of small website with a petition?
We all love Disney World and don't want to see it fall into a state of disrepair, and if we did this I'm sure they wouldn't like the photos and petition floating around for easy reading so I'm sure they would at least listen.
sam_justice is offline  
Old 08-24-2010, 07:09 AM   #863
GadgetRick
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 654

Quote:
Originally Posted by flicx View Post
I think disney is starting to see the results of alot of issues coming around.If they lost 8% of their attendance last quarter.I also think it is unusual to see discounts for the whole year at disney too.We have always traveled there on a discount and would never get one a year in advance.Things seem to be pointing to they are hurting for customers.The 1500 layoffs should even drive that point home further.The disney corp may be making money but the parks not so much.
The problem is, Disney (lately) has been looking at everything as a money issue, which is a big part of the problem (imo). More discounts aren't the answer to what's happening. Sure, it will bring more people in the parks and help get that 8% back but they're still not fixing part of the problem--lack of quality. The bigger part of the problem, however, is the economy. Not even Disney can fix that.
__________________
The Rickster
GadgetRick is offline  
Old 08-24-2010, 07:11 AM   #864
GadgetRick
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 654

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDSearcher View Post
I would also bet, though, that very few of the people who complain and vent here actually take the time to write or e-mail Disney directly. They go on vacation, have a less magical time than they anticipate, and then come here to complain. But really ... most Disney research or "Guest Comments" folks are not going to read 55 pages of back-and-forth between pretty much only a dozen posters and take that to represent the millions of people who visit WDW each year. They're not going to sift through all the snarky personal stuff and complaints about how someone writes or discussions about how to put someone on "ignore" and all the rest of the chaff so that they can get to the thing that is making people upset. Not to mention ... it can be hard to take someone seriously when they complain about how much Disney is "slipping" but then show "Our Next Trip to the World!" tickers in their signatures. Disney might skim the message boards to look for trends, but they're not taking them nearly as seriously as they do those letters and e-mails that show up in the mailboxes.

Because while people may be unhappy, if they don't take the time and effort to explain it to Disney, how important can it be? If you're unhappy with Disney, tell Disney.

First, I totally agree with you (and I do complain about things like this to Disney and other companies). However, I think you'd be surprised at what Disney (and other companies) do for research these days. There are (most certainly) Disney marketing people who frequent this site--and others--to take the pulse of what's happening. They just aren't acting on what they're seeing.
__________________
The Rickster
GadgetRick is offline  
Old 08-24-2010, 07:28 AM   #865
GadgetRick
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 654

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeyistheman View Post
I just don't understand when some people complain about certain things, what do you expect Disney to do? Give you something for free because you didn't like their food? That is ridiculous. I have gone to restaurants and didn't like their food. Should I complalin?
Absolutely not! I'm not asking for anything for free or making a stink with someone. As I've said, I just want a quality product which is what I've come to expect in 20ish years of going down there.
__________________
The Rickster
GadgetRick is offline  
Old 08-24-2010, 07:32 AM   #866
GadgetRick
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 654

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuluLovesDisney View Post
It seems to me that all the people who have this "understanding of business" DON'T understand what it is like to work the "front lines" every day. I am a former CM and I know what it is like to try to exude pixie dust while working barely above minimum wage. I hate to see so many people "at the top" expect people on the front lines to do so much with so little. I know I don't understand business very well, I guess, but I do understand how it feels for the CMs to lose their jobs or see so many friends let go or working on a "skeleton" crew.
And this, my friends, is part of the problem. Heard it before they just don't pay their people terribly well. This worked out in the past but, obviously, isn't working out too well now. People need to be able to earn enough to make a living or they just aren't gonna be happy in their jobs. If they're not happy in their jobs, how can they give the best product possible?

I feel for those on the front lines not making what they deserve while they see Disney spending money on all of these other projects...
__________________
The Rickster
GadgetRick is offline  
Old 08-24-2010, 07:39 AM   #867
kbelle8995
DIS Veteran
 
kbelle8995's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Tallahassee, Fla
Posts: 1,527

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuluLovesDisney View Post
It seems to me that all the people who have this "understanding of business" DON'T understand what it is like to work the "front lines" every day. I am a former CM and I know what it is like to try to exude pixie dust while working barely above minimum wage. I hate to see so many people "at the top" expect people on the front lines to do so much with so little. I know I don't understand business very well, I guess, but I do understand how it feels for the CMs to lose their jobs or see so many friends let go or working on a "skeleton" crew.
And people don't understand that even if you work at Disney it is work. It's a hard day.

There are moments when it is absolutely fun but there are a lot of moments when it is work.
kbelle8995 is offline  
Old 08-24-2010, 07:50 AM   #868
Indiana Rose Lee
Baby Factory Extraordinaire! ;)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,324

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbelle8995 View Post
And people don't understand that even if you work at Disney it is work. It's a hard day.

There are moments when it is absolutely fun but there are a lot of moments when it is work.
That is the way with all jobs. I worked in sales while in school, and we were expected to be pleasant, cheery, etc. Disney isn't the only place that expects pleasant workers for minimum wage.

I don't think you can blame a low pay scale for the problems. Working the frontlines is not skilled labor, and isn't a profession. It is the classic minimum wage job. I worked a Cedar Point as a teen, and it was the same way. Work for nothing and pay for lodging.

When you commit to a job you commit to the requirements. You accept the payscale, and you do the job with the attitude expected.
Indiana Rose Lee is offline  
Old 08-24-2010, 08:57 AM   #869
Tiger926
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 8,212

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeyistheman View Post
I could not read through every post because many seemed to be saying the same thing.

I have been in the travel business for 17 years and Disney has been my speciality. However, many brought up some good points about the VALUE that Disney offers year after year and now FREE DINING throughout next year on select dates! Talk about a great value.

EVERYONE is hurting right now and Disney is no different. I remember when they had those lay offs and many friends were let go even in the executive level. Business is Business.

I think people expect things for nothing now as well and when its not done immediatly they get upset and start to blame people.

If you want a preferred room pay for it, don't just expect to get upgraded.

Their rates have gone up EVERY SINGLE YEAR, since I started booking them 16 years ago, so when people get upset that the rates went up come on, it happens.

However, how great is it that they DO NOT charge for Magical Express!! They don't charge for Fast Pass or even Early/Late Extra Hours.

Those are huge benefits that I can see that they are still offering without a fee.

I eat at pretty much the same places every time I go down and have never noticed bad food or service.

If anything I have always been met with excellent service and always notice when its being done to someone else. However, I also notice when people start ranting and raving thinking that will get them further than asking nicely.

I have no patience or time for people like that, just like in my business. I know what they want, they just think I'll get upgraded, guess what no you won't.

You get what you pay for. I also look at their Value Resorts and Pop Century which I do stay at most times I travel there, has been up to par from day one, great service and the rooms are always spotless.

I just don't understand when some people complain about certain things, what do you expect Disney to do? Give you something for free because you didn't like their food? That is ridiculous. I have gone to restaurants and didn't like their food. Should I complalin?

I just think that Disney does a great job and sometimes they do miss, but not often otherwise they would not have as many of us going back year after year after year after year.

An interesting post, that is full of negativity, IMHO.

Not everyone wants something for free, not everyone wants upgrades, and certainly those of us who are loyal and repeat visitors are not 'complaining' for the sake of complaining. That is an insulting attitude, as far as I'm concerned...The common sentiment on this board is lack of staff, and serious cutbacks in some areas, and this translates to daily and consistent problems in common areas like: restaurants, resorts and cleanliness. I don't know you, and you don't know me, but I can assure you that we are an extremely low maintenance family who asks for nothing but a good quality product. Many days we get this, but more and more as of late, that is not the case...

Each and everytime I have contacted Disney, for both good praise, and concerns, I have received a response, and most times, I have been contacted by very high up Disney execs. They can see my past vacations (both before DVC, and as DVC), and I'm sure it helps that I'm an English teacher, who knows how to write. I will say that Disney knows there are issues, and that is why they have contacted me - I've had some very good conversations with executives who have admitted breakdowns in certain areas, and improvements that are needed in other areas. I can assure you it's not 'complaining' - it's being crital and assessing the product that I love in the hopes that when there is a breakdown, that breakdown doesn't happen again, and when there is something good, I want them to know just how much, I as a guest, appreciated their efforts and attention to detail.

I've spent $40,000 on DVC, not to mention dues, and food, tix, etc. for a lifetime of Disney vacations; therefore, I want to see Disney not slash and burn, increase prices, or just give food away. That is going to hurt the product that I love.

As a Disney specialist, you get commission for booking Disney trips, right? So, perhaps your glasses are a bit rose-coloured. None of us here get paid, and in fact, as repeat guests, we've spent a lot of money at Disney - eaten everywhere, and pretty much stayed everywhere too, so we have lots of comparisons to make, as guests, not as a way to earn our livings.

Disney on the whole, gives good value, IMHO, but they are teetering on a tiny slope of they don't realize that making huge profits, while slashing staff, and cheapening food is the way to keep loyal customers.

If they only want new customers, well then, they can function that way, but the Disney of old (thought about this last night), used to be about word of mouth and respecting repeat guests, as they are going to bring in new guests - kill two birds with one stone!

One more thing - I find your line of "You get what you pay for," to be very interesting. So, how exactly should an $8.00 turkey leg or hot dog taste? How about a shirt that cost $35.00, but holds up like it cost .50? I can`stand this line either, as it`s not that simple. Many of us pay for stuff at Disney that is way overpriced - in the real world, an $8.00 hot dog is vastly different than at Disney. Probably would come with a butler to feed it to you...

Not sure what to make of your post, as I'm very crabby this morning, so that's all I'm going to say about it!

Tiger

Last edited by Tiger926; 08-24-2010 at 09:46 AM.
Tiger926 is offline  
Old 08-24-2010, 09:30 AM   #870
GadgetRick
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 654

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger926 View Post
An interesting post, that is full of negativity, IMHO.

Not everyone wants something for free, not everyone wants upgrades, and certainly those of us who are loyal and repeat visitors are not 'complaining' for the sake of complaining. That is an insulting attitude, as far as I'm concerned...The common sentiment on this board is lack of staff, and serious cutbacks in some areas, and this translates to daily and consistent problems in common areas like: restaurants, resorts and cleanliness. I don't know you, and you don't know me, but I can assure you that we are an extremely low maintenance family who asks for nothing but a good quality product. Many days we get this, but more and more as of late, that is not the case...

Each and everytime I have contacted Disney, for both good praise, and concerns, I have received a response, and most times, I have been contacted by very high up Disney execs. They can see my past vacations (both before DVC, and as DVC), and I'm sure it helps that I'm an English teacher, who knows how to write. I will say that Disney knows there are issues, and that is why they have contacted me - I've had some very good conversations with executives who have admitted breakdowns in certain areas, and improvements that are needed in other areas. I can assure you it's not 'complaining' - it's being crital and assessing the product that I love in the hopes that when there is a breakdown, that breakdown doesn't happen again, and when there is something good, I want them to know just how much, I as a guest, appreciated their efforts and attention to detail.

I've spent $40,000 on DVC, not to mention dues, and food, tix, etc. for a lifetime of Disney vacations; therefore, I want to see Disney not slash and burn, increase prices, or just give food away. That is going to hurt the product that I love.

As a Disney specialist, you get commission for booking Disney trips, right? So, perhaps your glasses are a bit rose-coloured. None of us here get paid, and in fact, as repeat guests, we've spent a lot of money at Disney - eaten everywhere, and pretty much stayed everywhere too, so we have lots of comparisons to make, as guests, not as a way to earn our livings.

Disney on the whole, gives good value, IMHO, but they are teetering on a tiny slope of they don't realize that making huge profits, while slashing staff, and cheapening food is the way to keep loyal customers.

If they only want new customers, well then, they can function that way, but the Disney of old (thought about this last night), used to be about word of mouth and respecting repeat guests, as they are going to bring in new guests - kill two birds with one stone!

Not sure what to make of your post, as I'm very crabby this morning, so that's all I'm going to say about it!

Tiger
Excellent response!
__________________
The Rickster
GadgetRick is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:13 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: