Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 03:12 PM   #811
brunette8706
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSnell1981 View Post
But, the question is, do they care?

We spend considerably less on dining and at WDW in general. We utilize our timeshare, but have changed our habits. I choose to spend those extra $$$ elsewhere (other vacations)...not on lousy food and generic merchandise.
hmmm. They should care. According to Disney the parks were down 8 percent from last year! There are alot of people complaining about some of the resorts (Grand Floridian for one) where the paint is peeling and housekeeping etc. Now this is THERE FLAGSHIP resort! I just don't understand why they can't take care of things like this.

I agree we took our money elsewhere for food. It just isn't worth it anymore.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:16 PM   #812
brunette8706
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger926 View Post
Speaking of downhill...So, I went to put on a new t-shirt that my hubby bought me last month @ Epcot. I must preface this by saying, that we stopped buying stuff a few years ago. We usually only buy ornaments, books, beach towels, hats and frames now. We did buy clothes in March as they had hoodies and such on sale due to the cold weather, and they are holding up ok, as they haven't really been worn much. We did buy a few things last month, as they had the AP discount (got a few gifts) and hubby and I bought each other gifts, and few jammies for kids.

Anyway, this shirt cost $28.00, and is very thin, and small. I'm a petite lady, yet need a Large or XL, as they are made for tiny little bodies. I felt badly as hubby really liked the shirt (it's cute), but after only a few wearings, and washings in a new HE machine on deliate/cold/hung to dry, it's already ruined. There are a few small holes in it, and it looks like it's about 3 years old!
I immediately fired off an email to Disney a few minutes ago. Junk, junk, and more junk!!!! We won't be buying anymore clothes at all, although my DVC jacket is still holding up very well. Doesn't matter if it's park merchandise or Disney Shopping online, it's all junk. Although, park stuff costs way more than the ridiculously cheap sales they have online, so it would be nice if that stuff lasted at least longer than the trip home!

In this area, Disney has sunk so far downhill, that it will be difficult for them to get back up, as they make everything so cheaply overseas. I don't shop Dollar Stores or Walmart for this reason...but I'm sure Disney is making a fortune off of the merchandise, so they'll stick to it, I'm sure.

Tiger
Double post, sorry
Register to remove

Old 08-23-2010, 03:17 PM   #813
disneyfan55
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAST View Post
I have been following this post with some interest since we just returned from a 14 day trip to WDW.

The new Hall of Presidents was truly spectacular. If WDW is so cost conscious, why significantly change a "C" or "D" level ticket attraction? The electrical parade was great and so was the Nightastic fireworks (these more than made up for the 3:00 parade).

The food was really quite good (and I can be a true food snob). Some of our CS lunch entrees were forgettable (Disney cannot make a good hamburger in my opinion so I avoid ordering them). But the salads, sandwiches and snacks are really pretty good. The new buffalo chicken sandwich at the DHS was really good, the salads are good and fresh, and it appears that WDW has really tried to improve the food at DHS.

Out TS meals were also quite good (we used the TIW card). Was it expensive? Yes, but not horribly so. Our meals at Artist Point, CG and Brown Derby were truly spectacular.
Glad you had such a nice trip. Just so you know that back when there were A through E tickets, The Hall of Presidents was an E ticket. Yes, I agree, they did do a nice job on it.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:18 PM   #814
brunette8706
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Speaking of downhill...So, I went to put on a new t-shirt that my hubby bought me last month @ Epcot. I must preface this by saying, that we stopped buying stuff a few years ago. We usually only buy ornaments, books, beach towels, hats and frames now. We did buy clothes in March as they had hoodies and such on sale due to the cold weather, and they are holding up ok, as they haven't really been worn much. We did buy a few things last month, as they had the AP discount (got a few gifts) and hubby and I bought each other gifts, and few jammies for kids.

Anyway, this shirt cost $28.00, and is very thin, and small. I'm a petite lady, yet need a Large or XL, as they are made for tiny little bodies. I felt badly as hubby really liked the shirt (it's cute), but after only a few wearings, and washings in a new HE machine on deliate/cold/hung to dry, it's already ruined. There are a few small holes in it, and it looks like it's about 3 years old!
I immediately fired off an email to Disney a few minutes ago. Junk, junk, and more junk!!!! We won't be buying anymore clothes at all, although my DVC jacket is still holding up very well. Doesn't matter if it's park merchandise or Disney Shopping online, it's all junk. Although, park stuff costs way more than the ridiculously cheap sales they have online, so it would be nice if that stuff lasted at least longer than the trip home!

In this area, Disney has sunk so far downhill, that it will be difficult for them to get back up, as they make everything so cheaply overseas. I don't shop Dollar Stores or Walmart for this reason...but I'm sure Disney is making a fortune off of the merchandise, so they'll stick to it, I'm sure.

Tiger
Hi Tiger!

I WOULD TAKE THAT BACK!!! Bring the receipt. I have taken stuff like that back to resort shops before, no questions asked!.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:23 PM   #815
KellyNY
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunette8706 View Post
WOW! ARe you going next week?? That's awesome!! Where are you staying?
Still try to figure it out. I wanted AKL, my DD wants CBR, my mom actually like POP, go figure (she usually travels with us while my father watching sports and my cat, he is totally against Disney). So my opinion was lost/ignored somehow and I think split stay, POP for couple of nights even so I totally hate this hotel and CBR for the rest of stay. I was reading menus yesterday and I do not know where we will eat, CG is on my list, the rest is under big question. I do not want to spend $100 on a meal for 3 of us just to see that I could eat it same food here for $20, you know what I mean, I am OK with QS meals, but spending for signature dining and getting McDonald quality is not on my list of things to do. So frustrated right now.

DESPERADOS, AND LOVING IT !!!

HO HO HO
Old 08-23-2010, 03:34 PM   #816
GadgetRick
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
When you have a hundred million visitors paying the increased prices, buying over priced, made in China, Disney themed merchandise, and eating the reduced quality food, why would you go back to the old ways of doing business.

The number of repeat visitors who are upset about the new Disney business model is so small, I don't think that we have any impact on their decisions.

All they have to do is offer "free" food and the place will fill up.

Bill
See, this is part of my point, the percentage of unhappy guests is NOT that small or you wouldn't be seeing so many people here complain. I'm no statistical whiz but I'm guessing, if you extrapolated the data (from here alone) you'd find quite a high percentage of people are unhappy--certainly enough for Disney to take notice.

But I agree with you, they're making big bucks so no real incentive to fix things unless they're convinced they'll make more.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:35 PM   #817
GadgetRick
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Absolutely agree!

A lot of posters on here are nostalgic for the 'old' Disney, but perhaps that wasn't working from a financial or business perspective? And despite logging thousands of park hours, I'm not even sure I could even summarize or articulate what the Disney of old actually is? How much different is it really? Most guests are being served in a good manner, as repeat vacationers are showing us.

If the parks are still filling up, and people are still eating the food and buying the products, why in the world would Disney change anything? People are spending money, and this is what Disney's first priority will be, and really should be to shareholders.

As this thread has showed us, there is sometimes a disconnect between what us loyal and repeat guests see at Disney, and what first or only timers see. We are a very small percentage in the grand scheme, as most are being served just fine. And to Disney, it's even more telling since DVC membership is at an all-time high. Disney sees loyal, as we've just spent thousands of dollars upfront, to vacation there for a lifetime. And we did so based on our enjoyment of past vacations.

We still enjoy our vacations, but since we've done it all, over a span of 10 plus years, we are starting to see small and minute details falling by the wayside. But, in the grand scheme of things, how many are actually seeing these same things? Chances are, it's a very small amount. Considering that Free Dining sells out resorts, people aren't too bothered by the food.

I think it's important that we continue to discuss these points, but we have to remain realistic about how Disney is going to operate, Tiger
I'm not nostalgic for what I remember Disney as being. I also don't get the impression the bulk of people complaining are either. I just want the same quality I've become accustomed to at WDW. Shouldn't be too much to ask for things like good food and not to have half of the park boarded up is it?
Old 08-23-2010, 03:37 PM   #818
Pirates4me
Mouseketeer

How does one unsubscribe to this thread. I've heard enough whining.
DIS Dad's Club Member #502

DW ME DD DS

"Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic
But I had a good life all the way" Jimmy Buffett

DVC Member since 2005 Saratoga Springs
Old 08-23-2010, 03:38 PM   #819
GadgetRick
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyNY View Post
Free DP is the only thing that can actually make people eat TS meals every single day. I honestly can count only few places that offer a good menu. I could count few, now I am not sure where to eat on my trip in a week.
LOL! Made me laugh at that quote.

I will say we were there a week and ate 3 meals on property--breakfasts and one dinner. Had reservations for another dinner at Whispering Canyon (one of our favorite) but, after our dinner at the PTC, I decided to cancel those and just eat off-property. Ate at the Outback. Much cheaper, more food and good food.

I'd venture to guess, if Disney did any research, they'd find more people shunning the DDP and eating offsite when it's not free. If the food was improved to (at least) reasonably close to what it used to be, I'd be more than happy to eat on site. I don't really want to go offsite to be quite honest.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:40 PM   #820
GadgetRick
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Tiger
I remember when Disney merchandise was REALLY bad (before they had DTD). Clothing was just pure junk. Toys were crappy plastic, etc. They really improved to where their merchandise was quite good for a while there. Now, it's going back to what it was at that point. They've increased the prices and offer worse products (kinda like the parks in general, imo).

Yes, you can cite examples of certain things but, overall, the merchandise really sucks. And the prices are really bad. $16 for a stupid pin? $33 for a t-shirt? Come on...
Old 08-23-2010, 04:06 PM   #821
flicx
Please stand clear of the doors!

I think disney is starting to see the results of alot of issues coming around.If they lost 8% of their attendance last quarter.I also think it is unusual to see discounts for the whole year at disney too.We have always traveled there on a discount and would never get one a year in advance.Things seem to be pointing to they are hurting for customers.The 1500 layoffs should even drive that point home further.The disney corp may be making money but the parks not so much.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:14 PM   #822
Art 1
DIS Veteran

I used to go for lunch usually on Saturday to Casey's Corner. Loved those hot dogs with yellow mustard and sauerkraut. Now they are not worth buying, it's too bad that there not the same.

Now my lunch of choice is orange chicken at China or a plate at Morocco.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:19 PM   #823
WDSearcher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetRick View Post
See, this is part of my point, the percentage of unhappy guests is NOT that small or you wouldn't be seeing so many people here complain. I'm no statistical whiz but I'm guessing, if you extrapolated the data (from here alone) you'd find quite a high percentage of people are unhappy--certainly enough for Disney to take notice.

But I agree with you, they're making big bucks so no real incentive to fix things unless they're convinced they'll make more.
I would also bet, though, that very few of the people who complain and vent here actually take the time to write or e-mail Disney directly. They go on vacation, have a less magical time than they anticipate, and then come here to complain. But really ... most Disney research or "Guest Comments" folks are not going to read 55 pages of back-and-forth between pretty much only a dozen posters and take that to represent the millions of people who visit WDW each year. They're not going to sift through all the snarky personal stuff and complaints about how someone writes or discussions about how to put someone on "ignore" and all the rest of the chaff so that they can get to the thing that is making people upset. Not to mention ... it can be hard to take someone seriously when they complain about how much Disney is "slipping" but then show "Our Next Trip to the World!" tickers in their signatures. Disney might skim the message boards to look for trends, but they're not taking them nearly as seriously as they do those letters and e-mails that show up in the mailboxes.

Because while people may be unhappy, if they don't take the time and effort to explain it to Disney, how important can it be? If you're unhappy with Disney, tell Disney.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:21 PM   #824
Tiger926
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunette8706 View Post
Hi Tiger!

I WOULD TAKE THAT BACK!!! Bring the receipt. I have taken stuff like that back to resort shops before, no questions asked!.
Great idea, Brunette, the problem is that I live in Canada. I have to say everytime I email Disney about merchandise quality issues, they refund my credit card back (I always have to send in the receipt for proof of purchase). Hoping they'll do the same thing this time. Feel bad as hubby bought it as a gift, and I can't reallly wear it now, as it looks bad.

Quote:
I'm not nostalgic for what I remember Disney as being. I also don't get the impression the bulk of people complaining are either. I just want the same quality I've become accustomed to at WDW. Shouldn't be too much to ask for things like good food and not to have half of the park boarded up is it?
Maybe you aren't, but I feel that some are. Asking for edible food is legitimate, but asking for it to be cheaper, is not going to happen. Disney continues to raise prices on food, and discounts with Free Dining, as that is a great promo for them. It keeps the resorts and restaurants full. Disney today has more attractions, resorts and restaurants than ever before, so they've evolved for sure, but, as many of us are saying, the customer service and maintenance end of it is faltering a bit. I just see a disconnect here...there is no way, in 2010, that Disney is going to run the way it used to. When you make a billion dollars in profit in one quarter, and aren't happy with that, then we got some problems. I totally agree that asking for good food isn't too much to ask, for many guests, it is good, so that is working out ok for Disney at this point. When the execs look at the numbers for Free Dining, it shows that guests mostly care for the food at Disney. I'm with the others who believe that those of us who aren't too impressed with the food, is a small bunch.

The park boarded up is a problem, as they are doing the whole expansion at one time. Why? It saves money that way, plus, they want it open in the next few years. It's an eyesore in some areas, I totally agree.

Quote:
I remember when Disney merchandise was REALLY bad (before they had DTD). Clothing was just pure junk. Toys were crappy plastic, etc. They really improved to where their merchandise was quite good for a while there. Now, it's going back to what it was at that point. They've increased the prices and offer worse products (kinda like the parks in general, imo).

Yes, you can cite examples of certain things but, overall, the merchandise really sucks. And the prices are really bad. $16 for a stupid pin? $33 for a t-shirt? Come on...
Oh, it's junk now. I wouldn't mind paying $33.00 for shirt, if it was stellar quality. The quality they are providing is absolute junk...but again, the Dollar Store and Walmart mentality is very popular in North America, so that is what is probably driving Disney, but on the other end. How cheaply can we make products, in order to maximize profits, before guests stop buying or we have major safety or quality issues?

Tiger

Last edited by Tiger926; 08-23-2010 at 04:30 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:24 PM   #825
flicx
Please stand clear of the doors!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDSearcher View Post
I would also bet, though, that very few of the people who complain and vent here actually take the time to write or e-mail Disney directly. They go on vacation, have a less magical time than they anticipate, and then come here to complain. But really ... most Disney research or "Guest Comments" folks are not going to read 55 pages of back-and-forth between pretty much only a dozen posters and take that to represent the millions of people who visit WDW each year. They're not going to sift through all the snarky personal stuff and complaints about how someone writes or discussions about how to put someone on "ignore" and all the rest of the chaff so that they can get to the thing that is making people upset. Not to mention ... it can be hard to take someone seriously when they complain about how much Disney is "slipping" but then show "Our Next Trip to the World!" tickers in their signatures. Disney might skim the message boards to look for trends, but they're not taking them nearly as seriously as they do those letters and e-mails that show up in the mailboxes.

Because while people may be unhappy, if they don't take the time and effort to explain it to Disney, how important can it be? If you're unhappy with Disney, tell Disney.

I have to agreewith this post. I have written disney on good and bad in the past and I will say this for them they have always responded either way, to my concerns or praises.Maybe someone should start an email petition to send them.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: