Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 11:28 AM   #796
GadgetRick
DIS Veteran

I think this goes well beyond staff cuts. I think a big part of it is horrible (not just poor) planning. Why on earth do they have so many things being refurbished at the same time? Because they planned the refurbishments poorly and didn't do them when they should have been done in the first place.

Why is the food getting so bad? That's not a staffing issue. It's a cost-cutting issue.

Why is the food so darn expensive now? Again, money issue.

I think missing many of the details is the staffing issue. I think unhappy CMs are due to staffing issues (CMs can chime in if they feel they can do so safely). But I feel the overall issue is the people in charge just don't have a direction or, more importantly, a vision of what WDW should continue to be.

I know a lot of people talk about how it's still a great vacation, etc.--and I tend to agree--but it can be, no, should be so much more because it has been in the past. Many of the little things I cited in my other post aren't things which would cost a lot of money to do properly (again).

Ok, food isn't a minor thing nor would it be cheap to fix but it should be fixed. If this many people are posting about it then how many people really feel this way? There is always a SMALL percentage of unhappy people who will actually complain. You know Disney is aware of the unhappiness with the food situation yet they refuse to do anything about it, even worse, they ignore there's a problem entirely. Sorry, that's not just crappy customer service, rather, it's NO customer service. Since Disney had always been known for their customer service in the past, not sure why they've decided it's not worth their time to continue to provide it.

Is WDW as bad as other places? Heck no. However, just because it's still better than other places doesn't mean they should get a pass when we all know darn well just how good they can be. The attitude from Disney (over the past few years but especially in the last year) seems to be to just be good enough rather than being the best. To me, that's just unacceptable and I really hope they change their tune.

We love going to Disney. If we didn't we wouldn't go down there multiple times a year from NJ and have APs for my whole family. However, at some point, we, the CUSTOMERS, have to stand up and demand what's owed us--the quality product we've come to expect.

I don't expect everything to be all perfect or anything like that. But I do expect good service, affordable prices for food/merchandise/etc and NOT to be raked over the coals on ticket prices. I'm willing to pay a premium for these things--have been doing so for years. But, at some point, the premium doesn't become worth it and, IMO, it's getting closer to that the longer they (the company) have this horrible attitude towards us--the CUSTOMERS. Instead of looking at us as a cash cow who can be milked, how about looking at us as a customer who spends money on their product(s)?
Old 08-23-2010, 11:51 AM   #797
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

When you have a hundred million visitors paying the increased prices, buying over priced, made in China, Disney themed merchandise, and eating the reduced quality food, why would you go back to the old ways of doing business.

The number of repeat visitors who are upset about the new Disney business model is so small, I don't think that we have any impact on their decisions.

All they have to do is offer "free" food and the place will fill up.

Bill

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-23-2010, 12:30 PM   #798
Tiger926
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
When you have a hundred million visitors paying the increased prices, buying over priced, made in China, Disney themed merchandise, and eating the reduced quality food, why would you go back to the old ways of doing business.

The number of repeat visitors who are upset about the new Disney business model is so small, I don't think that we have any impact on their decisions.

Bill
Absolutely agree!

A lot of posters on here are nostalgic for the 'old' Disney, but perhaps that wasn't working from a financial or business perspective? And despite logging thousands of park hours, I'm not even sure I could even summarize or articulate what the Disney of old actually is? How much different is it really? Most guests are being served in a good manner, as repeat vacationers are showing us.

If the parks are still filling up, and people are still eating the food and buying the products, why in the world would Disney change anything? People are spending money, and this is what Disney's first priority will be, and really should be to shareholders.

As this thread has showed us, there is sometimes a disconnect between what us loyal and repeat guests see at Disney, and what first or only timers see. We are a very small percentage in the grand scheme, as most are being served just fine. And to Disney, it's even more telling since DVC membership is at an all-time high. Disney sees loyal, as we've just spent thousands of dollars upfront, to vacation there for a lifetime. And we did so based on our enjoyment of past vacations.

We still enjoy our vacations, but since we've done it all, over a span of 10 plus years, we are starting to see small and minute details falling by the wayside. But, in the grand scheme of things, how many are actually seeing these same things? Chances are, it's a very small amount. Considering that Free Dining sells out resorts, people aren't too bothered by the food.

I think it's important that we continue to discuss these points, but we have to remain realistic about how Disney is going to operate, Tiger
Old 08-23-2010, 12:53 PM   #799
Noah
Easy, Direct, and Simple

Keeping up

I believe that they are keeping up to date. For instance, the AKV concept was very nice and any new character/movie they add are all integrated into the theme parks.

I especially loved one of the rides that showed us the new green technologies on farming techniques. I believe that was at Epcot center.

noah
Old 08-23-2010, 12:55 PM   #800
brunette8706
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetRick View Post
I think this goes well beyond staff cuts. I think a big part of it is horrible (not just poor) planning. Why on earth do they have so many things being refurbished at the same time? Because they planned the refurbishments poorly and didn't do them when they should have been done in the first place.

Why is the food getting so bad? That's not a staffing issue. It's a cost-cutting issue.

Why is the food so darn expensive now? Again, money issue.

I think missing many of the details is the staffing issue. I think unhappy CMs are due to staffing issues (CMs can chime in if they feel they can do so safely). But I feel the overall issue is the people in charge just don't have a direction or, more importantly, a vision of what WDW should continue to be.

I know a lot of people talk about how it's still a great vacation, etc.--and I tend to agree--but it can be, no, should be so much more because it has been in the past. Many of the little things I cited in my other post aren't things which would cost a lot of money to do properly (again).

Ok, food isn't a minor thing nor would it be cheap to fix but it should be fixed. If this many people are posting about it then how many people really feel this way? There is always a SMALL percentage of unhappy people who will actually complain. You know Disney is aware of the unhappiness with the food situation yet they refuse to do anything about it, even worse, they ignore there's a problem entirely. Sorry, that's not just crappy customer service, rather, it's NO customer service. Since Disney had always been known for their customer service in the past, not sure why they've decided it's not worth their time to continue to provide it.

Is WDW as bad as other places? Heck no. However, just because it's still better than other places doesn't mean they should get a pass when we all know darn well just how good they can be. The attitude from Disney (over the past few years but especially in the last year) seems to be to just be good enough rather than being the best. To me, that's just unacceptable and I really hope they change their tune.

We love going to Disney. If we didn't we wouldn't go down there multiple times a year from NJ and have APs for my whole family. However, at some point, we, the CUSTOMERS, have to stand up and demand what's owed us--the quality product we've come to expect.

I don't expect everything to be all perfect or anything like that. But I do expect good service, affordable prices for food/merchandise/etc and NOT to be raked over the coals on ticket prices. I'm willing to pay a premium for these things--have been doing so for years. But, at some point, the premium doesn't become worth it and, IMO, it's getting closer to that the longer they (the company) have this horrible attitude towards us--the CUSTOMERS. Instead of looking at us as a cash cow who can be milked, how about looking at us as a customer who spends money on their product(s)?
Rickster-

Great post. I agree with everything you have stated. Did you ever notice the green like bus stops at MK? They're made of a green type of tin or aluminum. Well they are in desparate need of a good paint job. They have become very tarnished. These green like bus stops, lack of a better word, I have no idea what they're there for, have been like this for years. How much would paint cost to fix this? Same with the Odessey (sp) restaurant next to Mexico at World showcase. It just looks abandon even though it's not. How bout some fresh paint??? Disney made a net income on the July 3rd quarter at 1.3 BILLION dollars! So, it's not like they are losing money.

Brunette
Old 08-23-2010, 12:58 PM   #801
brunette8706
DIS Veteran

Here's an interesting read, excerpt from Disney news:

August 10, 2010, 4:45 pm
Disney Earnings Are Better Than Expected
By BROOKS BARNES
LOS ANGELES – Profit soared 40 percent at the Walt Disney Company in its most recent quarter, propelled by three blockbuster movies, strong merchandise sales and deferred revenue at ESPN.

But results for Disney’s theme parks – closely watched as a barometer of the broader economy – were mixed as consumers reacted to price increases, indicating that people remained hesitant about discretionary spending.

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.co...than-expected/

brunette
Old 08-23-2010, 01:00 PM   #802
brunette8706
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Bill
Hi Bill!

Well it looks like we do have a say. LOL! See my excerpt in the above post.

Take care.

Brunette
Old 08-23-2010, 01:03 PM   #803
KellyNY
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Bill
Free DP is the only thing that can actually make people eat TS meals every single day. I honestly can count only few places that offer a good menu. I could count few, now I am not sure where to eat on my trip in a week.

DESPERADOS, AND LOVING IT !!!

HO HO HO
Old 08-23-2010, 01:29 PM   #804
KellyNY
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunette8706 View Post
Here's an interesting read, excerpt from Disney news:

August 10, 2010, 4:45 pm
Disney Earnings Are Better Than Expected
By BROOKS BARNES
LOS ANGELES – Profit soared 40 percent at the Walt Disney Company in its most recent quarter, propelled by three blockbuster movies, strong merchandise sales and deferred revenue at ESPN.

But results for Disney’s theme parks – closely watched as a barometer of the broader economy – were mixed as consumers reacted to price increases, indicating that people remained hesitant about discretionary spending.

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.co...than-expected/

brunette
Good, so they know what kind of mess they created.

HO HO HO
Old 08-23-2010, 02:09 PM   #805
brunette8706
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyNY View Post
hehehe!

Glad to see you back! We missed you here! LOL!

Brunette
Old 08-23-2010, 02:15 PM   #806
TLSnell1981

Sense isn't very common anymore
I can't wait for T shirts and cover ups

Quote:
But, the question is, do they care?

We spend considerably less on dining and at WDW in general. We utilize our timeshare, but have changed our habits. I choose to spend those extra $$$ elsewhere (other vacations)...not on lousy food and generic merchandise.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:19 PM   #807
Tiger926
DIS Veteran

Speaking of downhill...So, I went to put on a new t-shirt that my hubby bought me last month @ Epcot. I must preface this by saying, that we stopped buying stuff a few years ago. We usually only buy ornaments, books, beach towels, hats and frames now. We did buy clothes in March as they had hoodies and such on sale due to the cold weather, and they are holding up ok, as they haven't really been worn much. We did buy a few things last month, as they had the AP discount (got a few gifts) and hubby and I bought each other gifts, and few jammies for kids.

Anyway, this shirt cost $28.00, and is very thin, and small. I'm a petite lady, yet need a Large or XL, as they are made for tiny little bodies. I felt badly as hubby really liked the shirt (it's cute), but after only a few wearings, and washings in a new HE machine on deliate/cold/hung to dry, it's already ruined. There are a few small holes in it, and it looks like it's about 3 years old!

I immediately fired off an email to Disney a few minutes ago. Junk, junk, and more junk!!!! We won't be buying anymore clothes at all, although my DVC jacket is still holding up very well. Doesn't matter if it's park merchandise or Disney Shopping online, it's all junk. Although, park stuff costs way more than the ridiculously cheap sales they have online, so it would be nice if that stuff lasted at least longer than the trip home!

In this area, Disney has sunk so far downhill, that it will be difficult for them to get back up, as they make everything so cheaply overseas. I don't shop Dollar Stores or Walmart for this reason...but I'm sure Disney is making a fortune off of the merchandise, so they'll stick to it, I'm sure.

Tiger
Old 08-23-2010, 02:19 PM   #808
BAST
DIS Veteran

I have been following this post with some interest since we just returned from a 14 day trip to WDW.

This was our 8th (and longest) trip since 2002 (others have been 8 to 12 days in length), but our last since 2008. We have spent alot of time at WDW since 2002.......

I kept looking for evidence that WDW had gone downhill, but really could not find such evidence. The parks were clean, the bathrooms were clean, the ride worked (there were only a few shutdowns during our trip - mostly with Space Mountain), the shows were still good, and the food was still good.

I did notice some things - the 3:00 parade in the MK was pretty patethetic, there were fewer water/ice cream vendors than in the past, the buffet prices were ridiculous throught August 15 (they went down in price beginning on the 16th by $4, which was $16 for our family).

But generally, I did not see that WDW went downhill.

There were some really great changes. The new Hall of Presidents was truly spectacular. If WDW is so cost conscious, why significantly change a "C" or "D" level ticket attraction? The electrical parade was great and so was the Nightastic fireworks (these more than made up for the 3:00 parade).

The food was really quite good (and I can be a true food snob). Some of our CS lunch entrees were forgettable (Disney cannot make a good hamburger in my opinion so I avoid ordering them). But the salads, sandwiches and snacks are really pretty good. The new buffalo chicken sandwich at the DHS was really good, the salads are good and fresh, and it appears that WDW has really tried to improve the food at DHS.

Out TS meals were also quite good (we used the TIW card). Was it expensive? Yes, but not horribly so. Our meals at Artist Point, CG and Brown Derby were truly spectacular.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:01 PM   #809
KellyNY
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunette8706 View Post
hehehe!

Glad to see you back! We missed you here! LOL!

Brunette
LOL, I'm multitasking between JetBlue, Delta, Disney.com, DisBoards and so, got a brilliant idea to go next week and now try to put it all together. LOL

HO HO HO
Old 08-23-2010, 03:09 PM   #810
brunette8706
DIS Veteran

Quote:
LOL, I'm multitasking between JetBlue, Delta, Disney.com, DisBoards and so, got a brilliant idea to go next week and now try to put it all together. LOL
WOW! ARe you going next week?? That's awesome!! Where are you staying?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: