Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 06:14 PM   #721
Donut23
Long-Time Disney Fan

Humor me a moment......

Remember when some here told others of us..."If we don't like it, go somewhere else"?

And remember when Fellow Castmember Bob announced to shareholders earlier this year that the Parks discounts were going to go away.

I have noticed something funny in the last couple of weeks. The following discounts have been announced.......

* Free Dining through September 2011

* Up to 45% discounts for AP holders....hoping one of our DVC friends can take advantage of this and join us on our next trip.....Thank you Fellow Castmember Bob

* 25% discounts for Canadians

Let me ask a question......do you think this is ALL the economy or does it have a touch of "Harry Potter" and a touch of "I can do better $$$$$$ elsewhere".

What does everyone else think?
Old 08-20-2010, 06:20 PM   #722
jimmymac
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyNY View Post
I do not know what is it but it feels so strange.
Talk about addition by subtraction
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-20-2010, 06:21 PM   #723
Art 1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut23 View Post
Humor me a moment......

Remember when some here told others of us..."If we don't like it, go somewhere else"?

And remember when Fellow Castmember Bob announced to shareholders earlier this year that the Parks discounts were going to go away.

I have noticed something funny in the last couple of weeks. The following discounts have been announced.......

* Up to 45% discounts for AP holders....hoping one of our DVC friends can take advantage of this and join us on our next trip.....Thank you Fellow Castmember Bob

Let me ask a question......do you think this is ALL the economy or does it have a touch of "Harry Potter" and a touch of "I can do better $$$$$$ elsewhere".

IMO, Harry Potter has nothing to do with it.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:23 PM   #724
flicx
Please stand clear of the doors!

Quote:
Humor me a moment......

I think harry potter may actually help disney because they will get some traffic from people going there.As far as I can do better elsewhere, I think some of that is effecting disney and the deepest discounts are for economy and other recent disney pricing trends!
Old 08-20-2010, 06:31 PM   #725
KellyNY
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Humor me a moment......

I think all together.

DESPERADOS, AND LOVING IT !!!

HO HO HO
Old 08-20-2010, 08:05 PM   #726
MickeyMinnieMom
If you ticket it, they will come... ;)

Quote:
Humor me a moment......

Yup - I'm saying the economy. At least 90% the economy...

To Iger's credit, though, I remember listening in on a shareholder meeting where he said (and I'm paraphrasing here, to be sure) that they were not going to take for granted that slim bottom lines were purely the result of a bad economy -- they were looking deeper to see where other changes might be called for. I can't speak to the follow-through, but I think this is certainly the right mentality for a CEO... I think it is the way any successful company remains successful. They look to face the hard truths, when they are there. Facing the "brutal facts" as Jim Collins wrote... again - I'm fresh off an MBA, so please forgive me...

Old 08-20-2010, 08:33 PM   #727
TLSnell1981

Sense isn't very common anymore
I can't wait for T shirts and cover ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger926 View Post
Don't forget, Brunette, that Disney has been raising prices each year on their menus, plus during peak seasons, we get the surcharge too. Big increases!

Tiger
I remember a few heated threads, regarding the DP, about 3 or 4 years ago. The unions negotiated a new contract with Disney at that time. This is when the gratuity was removed (DP), an automatic 18% was instituted, surcharges were added and dining prices soared. It also appears (IMO), this is also when the menus and quality took the biggest hit.

I know the economy is a factor, but it is not entirely to blame. MO
Old 08-20-2010, 09:09 PM   #728
TenderDonkey
DIS Veteran

I have to think the snail like economic recovery is playing a large part in the multiple discounts. Other vacation destinations have lowered their prices and to be honest a lot of hot spots are now really affordable. I was able to take my entire family to Paris for 7 days. Airfare, hotel, food all of it was less than a Disney vacation. And with Disney not really adding anything new, it’s a hard sell to convince ourselves to shell out $3k for a week in Orlando when that same $3k can get us to Hawaii.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:16 PM   #729
TLSnell1981

Sense isn't very common anymore
I can't wait for T shirts and cover ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenderDonkey View Post
I have to think the snail like economic recovery is playing a large part in the multiple discounts. Other vacation destinations have lowered their prices and to be honest a lot of hot spots are now really affordable. I was able to take my entire family to Paris for 7 days. Airfare, hotel, food all of it was less than a Disney vacation. And with Disney not really adding anything new, it’s a hard sell to convince ourselves to shell out $3k for a week in Orlando when that same $3k can get us to Hawaii.
This has been true for at least 10 years...even with weak dollar.

Last edited by TLSnell1981; 08-20-2010 at 10:07 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:04 PM   #730
DisGirl23
Is it time to go to Disney World yet?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDSearcher View Post
It may not do anything. But if you DON'T write to Disney, it DEFINITELY won't do anything.

Just stopping by to agree with this. Please come here and vent but, please make sure Disney knows about issues with CMs. Front line management may not be able to do anything about the price increases or disappearing prime rib but, they can definitely do something about those who work directly underneath them.
2002 Coronado Springs šOš 2001, 2000, 1999 Off Site šOš 1999 Disney Institute
1998, 1997, 1996, 1995, 1994, 1993 Off Site

Old 08-20-2010, 11:25 PM   #731
Tiger926
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSnell1981 View Post
I remember a few heated threads, regarding the DP, about 3 or 4 years ago. The unions negotiated a new contract with Disney at that time. This is when the gratuity was removed (DP), an automatic 18% was instituted, surcharges were added and dining prices soared. It also appears (IMO), this is also when the menus and quality took the biggest hit.

I know the economy is a factor, but it is not entirely to blame. MO
Oh, how I remember those heated threads.

I think it's a cop-out when companies totally blame the economy too - it relieves them of taking any responsibility for the problems. I don't see Disney doing this totally though, as I did read something about them considering all areas of the company. But again, how much of this they believe is the other issue. If they believe it's all the economy, then it will continue to function as is, or, possibly get worse? Not sure...?

Tiger
Old 08-20-2010, 11:30 PM   #732
Tiger926
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenderDonkey View Post
Yup! My friends can travel all year, but I can't with being a teacher, and I can't believe some of the deals they have been getting, especially to Hawaii. Airfare from here is killer, but even packaged up, the Hawaii deals are better than Disney.

It's all relative for those who set a budget, and plan their vacations around that budget. For many, they can afford a Disney vacation, but for many they cannot, unless Disney discounts, and even then, it's still too expensive for so many families.

But as we've been discussing, Disney has a lot of built in protection with regard to a downhill slide. They have DVC (although resales are pretty high right now), as well as the built-in guests who are coming back each year with Free Dining and other big promos like 40% off room rates. How long will it last, and will it be enough, are I'm sure the questions the Disney execs are pondering at this time?

Tiger
Old 08-21-2010, 12:46 AM   #733
KellyNY
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger926 View Post
Oh, how I remember those heated threads.

I think it's a cop-out when companies totally blame the economy too - it relieves them of taking any responsibility for the problems. I don't see Disney doing this totally though, as I did read something about them considering all areas of the company. But again, how much of this they believe is the other issue. If they believe it's all the economy, then it will continue to function as is, or, possibly get worse? Not sure...?

Tiger
I feel same way. It is easy to blame economy for cuts, yet they are doing exansion that will not bring new customers and therefore new money. They could spend same money for a good new attraction or fixing whatever is broken. And I heard today they cutting CMs, what is this about? Enough money for expansion, houses they build, new hotel, but not enough to pay people money. Sorry, do not get it.

DESPERADOS, AND LOVING IT !!!

HO HO HO
Old 08-21-2010, 01:11 AM   #734
smidgy
dimples

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker View Post
In other words, you want what you have received in the past, rather than what you're being promised now.
nope, you're wrong again.

I never said anything about any "vague promise".. those are your words.

I book a trip, pay what I agreed to, receive the room and tickets i agreed to (and anything else that might be included in a package).

whether the prices have gon up or not , I agreed to them. I still expect the quality of what I agreed to to be up to par with what it was in the past.

If I frequent a restaurant, and enjoy their food, service, prices, etc. I keep going back. now, if after a few years, the prices rise, but I still enjoy the food and service, I agree to that.

but when the food and service diminishes, THAT I did not agree to. THAT wasn't expected.

I expect quality customer service, whatever the price.
Old 08-21-2010, 01:55 AM   #735
smidgy
dimples

oops.. didn't realize he had "checked out". guess I can put my dictionary and thesaraus away now.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: