Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 03:12 PM   #691
jimmymac
Mouseketeer

[
Anyway, this horse has been beaten dead. I'm off to find some other interesting threads. Please don't think I'm ignoring you if I don't reply. I'll check back into this thread only if someone asks me to (and I seriously doubt that'll happen ).[/QUOTE]

That's the best thing that could have happened to this thread
Old 08-20-2010, 03:17 PM   #692
Sassagoula Billy
Life is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Jeff View Post
Hi Kelly!

It is pretty easy actually. On the top right of the screen right now, you will read: "Welcome KellyNY" and it will be underlined. Just left click on it and you will go to your profile page. Directly below your name on this page, there will be a link at the right end of a blue box that says: Edit profile. Left click on it and the page you go to, will have a menu box down the left side. Part way down there will be a link that says: "Edit Ignore List". Click on it. When you do type in the name of the one you want to ignore and save. You will no longer see that individual's posts.

When you go to a thread, you will see a line that has the person's moniker and says "person is on ignore". You can "unignore" by clicking on the link on the same line.

You will only then see the person's words if you are not logged in or if they are quoted in someone else's text!

Hope that helps!

Love your posts by the way!
I used this feature for the first time last night! Highly recommended for certain dingbats.
Register to remove

Old 08-20-2010, 03:22 PM   #693
Tiger926
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker View Post
I think a few of us have made it clear that you do have recourse: Do without their coffee. As long as enough people are willing to pay them $2.50 for doing things the way they're doing thing, that's the best you can do.

Anyway, this horse has been beaten dead. I'm off to find some other interesting threads. Please don't think I'm ignoring you if I don't reply. I'll check back into this thread only if someone asks me to (and I seriously doubt that'll happen ).
Tiger
Old 08-20-2010, 03:23 PM   #694
Pirate Jeff
DIS Newby..... Disney Veteran

WDSearcher:

Quote:
I don't think that consumers want to be "gouged" at buffets either. But I think that if you asked 1000 WDW consumers what they expect when visiting WDW, you're not going to find many of them who specifically call out "no buffet gouging." I think that Brunette perhaps had a bad experience with it and it's something she's angry about and so it's fallen onto this list of "what consumers want." I think that consumers want good value for their dining dollar. That's the broadrange idea. "Buffet gouging" is pretty specific. If you're going to talk about "what consumers want", that's generally more the broadrange ideas.
Yes, understood. I wouldn't suggest that "buffet gouging" will be on a list of concerns from too many guests. I think it is picking nits to isolate that portion of a post and use it against someone. She is using "buffets" as an example, one that she can easily and readily qualify. At the end of the day, it's all semantics. I feel confident speaking for her on that point. However, are you sure she is "angry"? Just because a person has a gripe doesn't imply automatically anger.

Quote:
Yup ... sorry. I didn't realize that by her use of the word "consumers" Brunette was speaking only of you, Goofy4prez and herself. Based on how the list was set up, she did seem to be making the generalization much broader than just the three of you. But if I misread that, then I apologize.
Well you're forgiven then! (Just kidding) I will however, apologize only for copping out on my response here. It was easier. Yes, I know that the "three" of us (and I used the three as I am positive on the point I made is shared by all three) don't make it a proven fact. I still stand by my assertion that if you polled Disney guests or other travelers, this would be supported.

Quote:
Of COURSE I could find enough support for these three statements on line. I'll bet you another Dole Whip that I could also find an equal amount of support from folks who think that Disney is doing just fine in those areas. So ... who's right?

So you're on then!!! Our next visit will be in December, then February and probably April! If you happen to plan a visit during those times, you can meet us at the Poly at Capt. Cooks and you can pay up!!

Yes, you probably could. That's not what I'm talking about however. I'm answering your initial response to Brunette of how those things weren't "important". I've stated myself many times, I am very happy with Disney in almost every area! So you could include me in on that! However, these are things that are "important to what consumers want" which is why I addressed your response to those words.

Quote:
I was being mean? Where? I didn't agree with her and I told her why. Isn't that how you carry on a discussion? Where was I mean?
It was just my impression of your response to her. I apologize if I took your post the wrong way. There are a couple of posts that I felt were a bit uncalled for by someone else addressed to the OP and I may have gotten a bit too defensive on her behalf by your response. No offense intended... but about that Dole Whip!!!!

Last edited by Pirate Jeff; 08-20-2010 at 03:28 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:30 PM   #695
Pirate Jeff
DIS Newby..... Disney Veteran

Who turned out the lights??

Did it just get quiet in here? Or is it my imagination???

Old 08-20-2010, 03:33 PM   #696
brunette8706
DIS Veteran

My Trip Report--

Wilderness Lodge and Yacht Club -- August 7th - August 14th.

Wilderness Lodge

Logistics-

Beautiful lobby
Beautiful Grounds
Beautiful Pool
Very Authentic
Very Serene
Over all "Cool Factor" for architecture and landscaping

Accomodations-

Bedding (Bedspread and skirt) tired and faded badly
The blue (color of blue jeans) was nearly white in some areas because of the fading. It looked very tired and worn.
Pillows look very lumpy under spread
Headboard - Very cool looking but chipped and cracked
Not a wow factor for me. In fact it looked like a rundown comfort inn on highway 192 (JUST THE ACCOMODATIONS)

Maid Service- Very poor. Bed were finally made up and kind of clean at 4 p.m.

Chest of drawers - kept opening up
Remote - Did not function, was finally replaced
CMs - Were nice
Roaring Forks - Actually was very expensive. $9.00 for half a sandwich.

If the WL would change their accomodations look and feel this place would be awesome. After the first night we were asked to be moved to the Yacht Club. When I asked the front desk, the CM didn't even bother to ask what was wrong, or I am sorry you are leaving, or how can we make this better. None of that was said to me.

Yacht Club

Logistics

WOW factor. When I opened the door to our accomodations my jaw dropped in AWE! This place is the bomb. Clean white crisp bedding. Very clean, beautiful, french doors over looking EPCOT lake. Huge balcony. I can't say enough good things about the place. Awesome pool. Stormalong Bay is great, along with a slow moving type of river pool, it was so cool. Beachs and Cream restaurant was GREAT! The place is just awesome. It's sister hotel is the Beach Club which I understand gets high reviews.

There was on CM at the bar at the YC (bartender) who would not let my husband get a refillable coke. This is after the FRONT DESK said he could. Well he cracked a joke and started laughing and the other's at the bar started laughing so he felt very uncomfrontable about that. The CM at the Market Place (fast food place) was very sterile. No thanks, goodby, welcome. Just a poker face.

Buffets- We love BOMA. We haven't been there in so long but once we found out the price $37.99 plus tip we decided not to go. Yes, it was SURCHARGE SEASON! This is a real pet peeve of mine. The only reason Disney does this is to get more money in the registers, there is another name for this and it's called "gouging the guest". Not very Disney like. Now if it were for a major Holiday I could understand the surcharge. But they think that the crowds are heavy in the summer, so we can charge them even MORE! Not cool. So we didn't go there. We went to Trails End for lunch. It was a buffet that served macaroni and cheese, pizza, drinks, (fabulous chicken), salad etc. It was good, but not worth the price of $20.99 per person. Again, the surcharge is added to the bill. It's just not right, in my opinion. So it cost us $40.00 plus tax and tip for chicken and macaroni salad. It was good but not worth the price. Went to Kona for breakfast before our big DIS MEET. And that wasn't bad, it was actually pretty good. The Polynesian is such a happy place.

Refillable Mugs- I remember when the refillable mugs used to look like BIG GULPS. Now they are a mere 12 ounces! Of course the price went up too! The cost is $14.95.

CMs- Most were friendly, but as stated above some just were not. Also, it really surprised me that the WL front desk people were not in the least concerned of why we were checking out after 1 nights stay.

Transportation- Boats and monorails were fine. Hardly any wait for the busses either.

Other food- We actually went on Restaurant dot com website to purchase $25.00 coupons for $2.00 each for various restaurants outside of Disney. For instance Shula's at the Swan, Garden Grove at the Dolphin, Il Mulino at the Swan and Kimon's at the Swan. It was such a great value for dinner at those various places. We also went off site to Sweet Tomatos (Great deal for under $10.00) We also went to Ponderosa Breakfast buffet for a mere $4.99 per person. It was great. I refuse to Disney's food prices, especially during the surcharge season! LOL! But that's just me.

Souveniers-

Instead of paying a large amount of money on souveniers, we did go with the purchase with a purchase. Example if you spend $40.00 you get a 2 piece luggage set and a windbreaker for $10.00 each. That, I thought was worth it. Also, there is a Disney outlet at PRIME OUTLETS across highway 4 near Downtown Disney where we got GREAT DEALS! Yacht Club picture frame for a $1.99 and a photo album booklet for a $1.99, Disney Sweatshirts for $9.99 etc.

Over all we had a great experience but there are things that need to be brought to Disney's attention. That is the CM's customer service at the WL and a few CMs at Yacht Club. Also, the food within the parks and buffets. That's my biggest pet peeve. We took our dollars else where.

Last edited by brunette8706; 08-20-2010 at 04:27 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:44 PM   #697
brunette8706
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger926 View Post
That's a good analogy. But, do they advertise hot and fresh coffee? If so, they haven't fulfilled the hot part, if it's cold. Not sure about fresh, as 20 mins., might be considered fresh?

I do think your last line is interesting though in relation to Disney - I do feel Disney is still giving me value for my money, or I wouldn't go there. They are actually giving me more than the original Disney World of old, in that there are more parks, more shows, more resorts and more restaurants. Your discussion of additional fees is interesting though - the buffet surcharges/upcharges drive us nuts, as they are pure profit. Despite this, I think it's imperative that we, as loyal guests, discuss these issues. Sure guests are still going, but when Disney has to offer Free Dining for an entire year, how many of these guests are paying full price for food - none! They are paying full price for a room, but not the food, so surely, they have to make that up somewhere else, I would imagine?

Like this story very much and its connection to our topic - so, do you feel Dunkin is going downhill with their new brewing schedule?

Tiger
Hilarious!
Old 08-20-2010, 03:47 PM   #698
Indiana Rose Lee
Baby Factory Extraordinaire! ;)

So, if the buffet at Boma (sorry you didn't make it, we love Boma!) is $38, the the DP would surely be saving money for the purchaser, right? It doesn't seem the QS at $10 a piece is a good of a deal for the DP.

Sorry the WL was sucky. We stayed at SSR (girls trip for 3) last January, and we found it to be really nice. Hopefully they refurb WL soon.

I can't wait to go to Kimono's next trip. Ponderosa is nasty, imo. We do like Prime Outlets a lot. With this many kids souvenirs are expensive!
Old 08-20-2010, 03:54 PM   #699
Tiger926
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Rose Lee View Post
So, if the buffet at Boma (sorry you didn't make it, we love Boma!) is $38, the the DP would surely be saving money for the purchaser, right? It doesn't seem the QS at $10 a piece is a good of a deal for the DP.

Sorry the WL was sucky. We stayed at SSR (girls trip for 3) last January, and we found it to be really nice. Hopefully they refurb WL soon.

I can't wait to go to Kimono's next trip. Ponderosa is nasty, imo. We do like Prime Outlets a lot. With this many kids souvenirs are expensive!
This is the point...Disney keeps raising individual meal prices, in order to over inflate the DP, I'm sure of this. It's a never-ending cycle that they are in charge of. If guests feel that the individual meal prices are too much, Disney convinces them to get the DP at a savings of 20%. As an aside, used to be a savings of 40% using DP.

Disney keeps raising both of those, in order to over inflate value. When will it end?

As this thread proves, regulars like ourselves, who have seen it all, remember prices, service, etc. and know just exactly how far prices have risen, especially for dining.

Tiger
Old 08-20-2010, 03:57 PM   #700
WDSearcher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yes, understood. I wouldn't suggest that "buffet gouging" will be on a list of concerns from too many guests. I think it is picking nits to isolate that portion of a post and use it against someone. She is using "buffets" as an example, one that she can easily and readily qualify. At the end of the day, it's all semantics. I feel confident speaking for her on that point. However, are you sure she is "angry"? Just because a person has a gripe doesn't imply automatically anger.
The word "gouging" seems angry to me. Perhaps it wasn't meant that way.
To me, "gouging" implies that Disney was setting out to scam peoples' money with some sort of illegal or unethical intent. As you said, semantics. I never said that someone having a gripe automatically implies anger. Although people with a gripe are rarely happy about it!

Quote:
It was just my impression of your response to her. I apologize if I took your post the wrong way. There are a couple of posts that I felt were a bit uncalled for by someone else addressed to the OP and I may have gotten a bit too defensive on her behalf by your response. No offense intended... but about that Dole Whip!!!!

I never said they weren't "important." In fact, I'm not sure I even used the word "important" in the post. I did say that those items were matters of opinion and subjective. I don't think that means they're unimportant -- just that it didn't seem like they fit into the conclusion she was trying to make.

There have been a lot of posts on this thread, IMO, that were a bit uncalled for, by all sides. Alas, not all of us have defenders!

Old 08-20-2010, 04:03 PM   #701
MickeyMinnieMom
If you ticket it, they will come... ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger926 View Post
Exactly, so since it's been pointed out time and again that we are wrong about the reason for Disney offering the Free Dining promo, let's figure out why Disney is offering the promo:

1. They are being nice, so they are rewarding customers
2. They have extra food to throw around
3. The chefs and servers need more training on serving guests
4. Resorts are not at full capacity
5. Profits are down
6. They are using it as a marketing ploy to lure in new guests
7. They know that their prices are too high, so they are discounting everything: food, recreation, Photopass, merchandise and resorts in order to draw guests back

What do you all think is the reason? I come from a business family, so I know there are various reasons why businesses discount their products and services. Disney has NEVER offered Free Dining for an entire year, ever! Why now?

Tiger
I studied Disney in depth for a whole semester in business school. IMHO based on that class, this is caused by a combo of 1) capitalizing on market segmentation (Disney serves as a model here for many companies), and 2) a weak tourism industry at the moment and predicted to be weak for some time.

Old 08-20-2010, 04:04 PM   #702
brunette8706
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Rose Lee View Post

We LOVE BOMA too! I just won't pay the so called holiday pricing. LOL! We will go again when it isn't the surcharge. Yes, I love love BOMA, it's the best buffet at WDW, in my opinon. The thing with DP it forces me to eat Table service and counter service and a snack for 7 days. I'm not sure if I want to do that! LOL! Plus how much is it now? Of course they have the FREE DINING RIGHT? LOL!

I did price out FREE DINING at YC approximately $3k, but with the 40 percent of discount it's $1900.00. That means I'm going to have to eat $400 worth of food x 2 plus they include 2 day park tickets for each person. It think that's $82.00 a ticket times 4 (2 adults) = $328.00?? We have annual passes. But I think I can add them to renew my annual pass! LOL! Is FREE DINING WORTH IT? Or should I just go with the 40 percent off room rate??? LOL.
Old 08-20-2010, 04:11 PM   #703
WDSearcher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunette8706 View Post
Other food- We actually went on Restaurant dot com website to purchase $25.00 coupons for $2.00 each for various restaurants outside of Disney. For instance Shula's at the SWAM, Garden Grove at the Dolphin, Il Mulino at the SWAM and Kimon's at the SWAM. It was such a great value for dinner at those various places. We also went off site to Sweet Tomatos (Great deal for under $10.00) We also went to Ponderosa Breakfast buffet for a mere $4.99 per person. It was great. I refuse to Disney's food prices, especially during the surcharge season! LOL! But that's just me.
What is the SWAM? I'm pretty sure you mean the Swan (as in the Swan and Dolphin), but when I saw it in all caps, I thought maybe there's a nearby dining / shopping area with that abbreviation?

I'll agree that places like Sweet Tomatoes and Ponderosa are great deals, but I find their food to be pretty yucky. Sweet Tomatoes has some nice salads, but everything else is just not to my taste. Ponderosa is okay with the kids, but I'd never choose to eat there when there are places within WDW. I can eat at Sweet Tomatoes and Ponderosa any time. But then I tend to look at Disney (Epcot and the Resorts, in particular) as a dining destination as much as anything else. Love the restaurants. The only two buffets I've eaten at are in the Germany Biergarten and at Chef Mickey's so I can't really speak to those.

Glad the Y&B redeemed the Wilderness Lodge. I hope you'll put your comments in a letter or e-mail to WDW so that they know that you were dissatisfied. They can't fix it if they don't know it's broken.

Old 08-20-2010, 04:12 PM   #704
declansdad
DIS Dad#639
Still waiting for his first one

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker View Post
It's not that at all. Rather, this is a discussion thread and so all sides of the issues can be discussed here. Let's stick to the topic (Disney, value, etc.) please. You can PM me if you want to get more insights into my posting inclinations.

People have a difficult time discussing anything with you because of your constant need to pull every post apart line by line and show how it is wrong, in your opinion, of course.
ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds
DIS Dads Club Member #639

Our WDW photos on Photobucket, Our WDW photos on Flickr

Old 08-20-2010, 04:12 PM   #705
brunette8706
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDSearcher View Post
The word "gouging" seems angry to me. Perhaps it wasn't meant that way.
To me, "gouging" implies that Disney was setting out to scam peoples' money with some sort of illegal or unethical intent. As you said, semantics. I never said that someone having a gripe automatically implies anger. Although people with a gripe are rarely happy about it!

I never said they weren't "important." In fact, I'm not sure I even used the word "important" in the post. I did say that those items were matters of opinion and subjective. I don't think that means they're unimportant -- just that it didn't seem like they fit into the conclusion she was trying to make.

There have been a lot of posts on this thread, IMO, that were a bit uncalled for, by all sides. Alas, not all of us have defenders!

No, I'm not angry. It's just a pet peeve of mine. And I was explaining to Indiana Rose, I will not go there or spend my dollars there when they have this so called "holiday surcharge". It's not a holiday really, it's prime time for them, that is why they do this. The same with gas stations that are near the Orlando airport. They gouge people by charging (mostly people with rental cars over $5.00 a gallon for gas. It's not right, but they do it because they can. Same with Disney. They do this because, well, they can. And personally, I do not think it's right. Especially when it comes to families. If there was a family of six that would cost that family approximately $30.00 more in surcharges NOT including tip. It's simply gouging people. That is why I chose not to go during that time. That's all.

Pirate Jeff- You speak so eloquently and truthful. You took the words right out of my mouth. LOL! Thank you! Brunette

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: