Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 02:28 PM   #676
brunette8706
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger926 View Post
exactly, so since it's been pointed out time and again that we are wrong about the reason for disney offering the free dining promo, let's figure out why disney is offering the promo:

1. They are being nice, so they are rewarding customers
2. They have extra food to throw around
3. The chefs and servers need more training on serving guests
4. Resorts are not at full capacity
5. Profits are down
6. They are using it as a marketing ploy to lure in new guests
7. They know that their prices are too high, so they are discounting everything: Food, recreation, photopass, merchandise and resorts in order to draw guests back

what do you all think is the reason? I come from a business family, so i know there are various reasons why businesses discount their products and services. Disney has never offered free dining for an entire year, ever! Why now?

Tiger
beautiful!:
Old 08-20-2010, 02:30 PM   #677
bicker
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Jeff View Post
Your first words to me were: "Stop with the personal attacks" when in fact, none existed!
I believe you're mistaken. But whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Jeff View Post
Please respect that request. I will cease to address you in any way, please extend the same courtesy to me.
I wish I could tell specific people to not reply to my messages. It just doesn't work that way. Sorry.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-20-2010, 02:31 PM   #678
declansdad
DIS Dad#639
Still waiting for his first one

BIcker why is it that you have to always prove that your opinion is the correct and more valid opinion?
ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds
DIS Dads Club Member #639

Our WDW photos on Photobucket, Our WDW photos on Flickr

Old 08-20-2010, 02:34 PM   #679
bicker
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansdad View Post
BIcker why is it that you have to always prove that your opinion is the correct and more valid opinion?
It's not that at all. Rather, this is a discussion thread and so all sides of the issues can be discussed here. Let's stick to the topic (Disney, value, etc.) please. You can PM me if you want to get more insights into my posting inclinations.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:40 PM   #680
TenderDonkey
DIS Veteran

This thread reminds me of my local Dunkin. As a New Englander, I stop by Dunkin every morning on the way to work. Over the last few weeks I have noticed that my medium cup of coffee has been kinda cold and stale. The first time, no biggie, the second time I went in and complained. The nice young lady apologized and made a fresh pot for me. Two days later, stale cold coffee.

Now being the Boston area, I could go to one of the other Dunkins, try Starbucks or go maybe make it at home. But the truth is I like Dunkin coffee and I like that location, it’s local and convenient for my commute. So one morning I ask one of the workers what’s up with the coffee. It turns out they used to make a new pot every 10 minutes but now due to costs they are stretching it to 20-25 minutes.

Now according to some posters logic I have no recourse because they fulfilled their legal obligation. I gave them $2 they gave me coffee. My point is I would be willing to pay $2.50 if it meant that I got a medium, hot, fresh coffee. I'm not willing to pay $2.50 if I get the same cold cup. Disney is the same way. Most people understand that costs go up and most of us are willing to pay it but we are not willing to pay the additional fees for less than the original product.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:41 PM   #681
Pirate Jeff
DIS Newby..... Disney Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyNY View Post
Jeff, how you do IGNORE, I never did it before but I do have "an opening" for that. Wondering how shorter thread is when you have someone on ignore?

Thanks.
Hi Kelly!

It is pretty easy actually. On the top right of the screen right now, you will read: "Welcome KellyNY" and it will be underlined. Just left click on it and you will go to your profile page. Directly below your name on this page, there will be a link at the right end of a blue box that says: Edit profile. Left click on it and the page you go to, will have a menu box down the left side. Part way down there will be a link that says: "Edit Ignore List". Click on it. When you do type in the name of the one you want to ignore and save. You will no longer see that individual's posts.

When you go to a thread, you will see a line that has the person's moniker and says "person is on ignore". You can "unignore" by clicking on the link on the same line.

You will only then see the person's words if you are not logged in or if they are quoted in someone else's text!

Hope that helps!

Love your posts by the way!
Old 08-20-2010, 02:43 PM   #682
bicker
DIS Veteran

I think a few of us have made it clear that you do have recourse: Do without their coffee. As long as enough people are willing to pay them $2.50 for doing things the way they're doing thing, that's the best you can do.

Anyway, this horse has been beaten dead. I'm off to find some other interesting threads. Please don't think I'm ignoring you if I don't reply. I'll check back into this thread only if someone asks me to (and I seriously doubt that'll happen ).

Last edited by bicker; 08-20-2010 at 02:50 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:43 PM   #683
Tiger926
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenderDonkey View Post
This thread reminds me of my local Dunkin. As a New Englander, I stop by Dunkin every morning on the way to work. Over the last few weeks I have noticed that my medium cup of coffee has been kinda cold and stale. The first time, no biggie, the second time I went in and complained. The nice young lady apologized and made a fresh pot for me. Two days later, stale cold coffee.

Now being the Boston area, I could go to one of the other Dunkins, try Starbucks or go maybe make it at home. But the truth is I like Dunkin coffee and I like that location, it’s local and convenient for my commute. So one morning I ask one of the workers what’s up with the coffee. It turns out they used to make a new pot every 10 minutes but now due to costs they are stretching it to 20-25 minutes.

Now according to some posters logic I have no recourse because they fulfilled their legal obligation. I gave them $2 they gave me coffee. My point is I would be willing to pay $2.50 if it meant that I got a medium, hot, fresh coffee. I'm not willing to pay $2.50 if I get the same cold cup. Disney is the same way. Most people understand that costs go up and most of us are willing to pay it but we are not willing to pay the additional fees for less than the original product.
That's a good analogy. But, do they advertise hot and fresh coffee? If so, they haven't fulfilled the hot part, if it's cold. Not sure about fresh, as 20 mins., might be considered fresh?

I do think your last line is interesting though in relation to Disney - I do feel Disney is still giving me value for my money, or I wouldn't go there. They are actually giving me more than the original Disney World of old, in that there are more parks, more shows, more resorts and more restaurants. Your discussion of additional fees is interesting though - the buffet surcharges/upcharges drive us nuts, as they are pure profit. Despite this, I think it's imperative that we, as loyal guests, discuss these issues. Sure guests are still going, but when Disney has to offer Free Dining for an entire year, how many of these guests are paying full price for food - none! They are paying full price for a room, but not the food, so surely, they have to make that up somewhere else, I would imagine?

Like this story very much and its connection to our topic - so, do you feel Dunkin is going downhill with their new brewing schedule?

Tiger

Last edited by Tiger926; 08-20-2010 at 02:53 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:51 PM   #684
Pirate Jeff
DIS Newby..... Disney Veteran

Quote:

That's interesting. It also reminded me of another interesting cost increase that most folks probably were totally unaware of. Has anyone noticed the size of a can of Tuna lately? About a year ago, Bumble Bee reduced their can size from 6 to 5 ounces. Everything else was the same, including the price. You would never had known until one day I got a can of tuna out of the cupboard and wondered what was different.... I thought I was imagining things until I looked at the back of the shelf and found an older can of Star-Kist. Over the next 12 months, they've all done it. So when you have a recipe that calls for a 6oz. can of tuna, you're only going to find 5. Just a hidden way to increase the price 20% without any fuss.

Disney is doing the very same thing. The buffet at Boma has gone up drastically and they took off the prime rib. The sirloin roast you get looks the same but believe me, it's not. It is however, considerably cheaper than the prime.

Same with the dining plan. They reduced the price $1.00! But with the elimination of the appetizer and tip, they actually raised the price considerably! New folks to the World wouldn't even notice. But I do. That is my gripe.

I may have gone on a bit here Donkey, sorry if I did!

Aaargh!!!
Old 08-20-2010, 02:53 PM   #685
brunette8706
DIS Veteran

Quote:

But, but, but is that your expectation or your want? LOL!

Great Analogy.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:53 PM   #686
TenderDonkey
DIS Veteran

I don’t want to do without Dunkin because I’m a loyal customer. I actually really liked their coffee and they employ a lot of local kids. And I’m willing to pay a price to ensure that I get a good cup of coffee. At some price point I am going to decide it’s no longer worth it to me. If the only way my local Dunkin can operate is by charging$30 per cup I will go elsewhere.

I’m in the same mindset with Disney, if they only way they can ensure clean parks and hotels rooms is by charging $2,000 per person per day then I will no longer vacation there.

My opinion is that Disney tries from the get go to ensure a magical experience. When you book a vacation they send an email stating “Your magical vacation begins now…” That builds expectations. I wouldn’t nearly be as excited if the email said “click here to fill out some papers…”
Old 08-20-2010, 02:55 PM   #687
flicx
Please stand clear of the doors!

Wow, I leave for a hour and I miss alot.First off I would like to address the food gouging issue.I think the majority of people would agree what they have done with the raising of food in busy seasons would fit in that category.Unsavory business practice.Second why is disney building another value resort when they have one partially done? Third this whole thing of what to expect is very simple to people who have been going for 25+ years.It is reasonable especially given the price increases to expect past performance which clearly many long timers have not.I also find it amazing given that disney laid off 1500 people and upped their prices for the 22nd year in a row that doesn't convince alot of people that hey they are more about money than ever!
Old 08-20-2010, 02:56 PM   #688
MichRX7
Earning My Ears

People have been saying this since the world opened in 1971! I for one enjoy it every time I go so while there are things I personally would change, my experience is the same now as ever. Or is it the same now for my kids as it was for me when I was that age...
Old 08-20-2010, 02:57 PM   #689
TenderDonkey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunette8706 View Post
But, but, but is that your expectation or your want? LOL!

Great Analogy.
HA! I don't expect the coffee to cure cancer, I just expect it to be at a minimum hot. Same with Disney, I don't expect fireworks to shoot out of my hands, but for $300 a night can I at least get a roll of TP. It doesn't even have to be Charmin!
Old 08-20-2010, 02:59 PM   #690
brunette8706
DIS Veteran

Quote:
HA! I don't expect the coffee to cure cancer, I just expect it to be at a minimum hot. Same with Disney, I don't expect fireworks to shoot out of my hands, but for $300 a night can I at least get a roll of TP. It doesn't even have to be Charmin!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: