Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 08-20-2010, 02:45 PM   #661
Tiger926
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 8,212

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker View Post
That's absolutely a major consideration. It surely isn't that they can't fill rooms. They wouldn't be building a new resort if that were the case.
Which resort are you talking about? The new Value resort, or Aulani DVC?

If it's the Value resort, I'm thinking they are building it because the Free Dining promo is packing the Value resorts. If a company is truly confident in its customers to pay full price for its products and services, said company does not willingly discount (excepting loyalty or point programs). Why would a company willingly make less money on its product or service, if they didn't need to? They discount when they need to sell product. I have never seen as many discounts at Disney, as I have this year: merchandise, food, recreation and resorts.

Disney said it was weaning guests from discounts, yet last week, they announce a year long promo. What gives?

The true test will be once the discounts and promos dry up - can they still fill existing resorts, as well as new ones at rack rates?

Tiger

Last edited by Tiger926; 08-20-2010 at 02:57 PM.
Tiger926 is offline  
Old 08-20-2010, 02:47 PM   #662
KellyNY
DIS Veteran
 
KellyNY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 7,224

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker View Post
I'm not sure how you can be confused after all this. You don't like what I'm saying. I get that. But not understanding it? I don't believe that for a minute. And what's more, I think anyone who's followed this thread this long not only knows exactly what I've been saying, but knows that what I've been saying is going to actually reflect the reality that they're going to encounter when planning and taking their vacations going forward. Nuf sed. I think we've beaten this horse enough don't you?
Intersting, so every time someone disagrees with you, you say, enough talking, lets just disagree and at the same time you try to force your point on everyone who thinks differently referring to your own system as a FACT. You do realize that your opinion is not a FACT, not even close, it just an opinion.
__________________
KELLY


DESPERADOS, AND LOVING IT !!!

HO HO HO
KellyNY is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 08-20-2010, 02:47 PM   #663
Tiger926
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 8,212

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuluLovesDisney View Post
Tiger, I am offended by your post! I will be doing BOTH of those things in 3 weeks!
Best of luck to you! Tiger
Tiger926 is offline  
Old 08-20-2010, 02:57 PM   #664
WDSearcher
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 11,918

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunette8706 View Post
**
Hi! With all due respect , I think the poster in question has taken various vacations within his lifetime. Personally I don't think it's a lot of "down time" or "vacation time" for one to take. I have taken hundreds of vacations in my lifetime. Not bragging, I just save money to do this. I have a vacation fund! LOL! You can take cruises that are fairly inexpensive, and other camping vacations that are inexpensive. I just think everything is relative.

Brunette
Yeah ... I get that. I've taken hundreds in my time too. But the poster in question also said to the OTHER poster in question, "You must be part of a very fortunate and small group of people who have an endless supply of disposable income." All I was saying is that someone could easily read that list of vacations (Europe, Australia, cruises, Atlantis, etc) and make the exact same conclusion.

My point was (as you just said) that "everything is relative". Which is exactly the point I think bicker was trying to make.

WDSearcher is offline  
Old 08-20-2010, 02:57 PM   #665
LuluLovesDisney
If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!
I guess Rainy Days are definitely a "turn on"!
 
LuluLovesDisney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Fantasyland (it's so true!)
Posts: 5,250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger926 View Post
Best of luck to you! Tiger
Thank you!! (I know my days of posting so much are numbered! lol)
LuluLovesDisney is offline  
Old 08-20-2010, 03:00 PM   #666
bicker
DIS Veteran

 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Burlington, MA
Posts: 45,628

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger926 View Post
If a company is truly confident in its customers to pay full price for its products and services, said company does not willingly discount (excepting loyalty or point programs).
Or to capitalize on market segmentation. That's what I said before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger926 View Post
Why would a company willingly make less money on its product or service, if they didn't need to?
They're not. They're acknowledging differences in price sensitivity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger926 View Post
Disney said it was weaning guests from discounts, yet last week, they announce a year long promo. What gives?
And every year is a "Celebration".

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyNY View Post
Intersting, so every time someone disagrees with you, you say, enough talking, lets just disagree and at the same time you try to force your point on everyone who thinks differently referring to your own system as a FACT.
That's not what is happening at all. You're just getting frustrated that I'm not acceding to your perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyNY View Post
You do realize that your opinion is not a FACT, not even close, it just an opinion.
Some of what I'm writing is opinion, some is fact. It's clear from the text which is which.
bicker is offline  
Old 08-20-2010, 03:00 PM   #667
jimmymac
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4prez View Post
I guess the best thing to do at this point is what others have done, just hit the ignore button. The only correct opinion or the only correct ideology or the only correct perception comes from the keyboard of Bicker who certainly appears to look at the world around him/her through rose colored glasses. It must be nice to not only have so much disposible income to view WDW as inexpensive, but also to have all the answers and solutions to this worlds problems. I commend you.

Amen brother. You nailed it with this post
jimmymac is offline  
Old 08-20-2010, 03:01 PM   #668
Pirate Jeff
DIS Newby..... Disney Veteran
 
Pirate Jeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunette8706
*
I disagree. I think the consumer wants:

a. a fair price for products
b. doesn't want to be gouged by surcharges for buffets
c. their beds made and rooms cleaned before 4 p.m.
d. to be treated fairly by all Cast members
e. to be greeted with politeness i.e. thank you and welcome via cms

Bottom line consumers pay a premium for these types of expectations at WDW. The above is something a consumer should expect not want when going to WDW, in my opinion



Quote:
Originally Posted by WDSearcher View Post
Points b and c are matters of opinion. I generally don't eat at buffets, so I don't "want" anything in regards to them. As for my room -- once I leave the resort in the morning, I don't go back until it's time for bed. So it doesn't matter to me at all whether the beds are made and the room cleaned before 4pm, because I won't get back there until 10pm. Those two points are things that YOU may want, but I don't think that you can say they are things that all consumers expect.

Points a, d and e are subjective. I may think that my WDW trip comes at a fair price. You may not. I may think I'm being treated fairly by CMs. You may not. I may be perfectly satisfied with the politeness of the CMs I meet. You may not. And therein lies the problem. There is no absolute in any of the items you claim consumers want. So it's impossible to deliver on them. Disney could change every single policy and pricing strategy they have to a point where you are completely utterly totally satisfied. And there would still be some guy behind you saying that it was too expensive and not friendly enough. Disney will never satisfy all of its customers. But they seem to be satisfying the majority of its customers, or you would think that they would be closed or bankrupt.

Just read the trip reports thread. People come back saying that they had the best trip of their lives -- that everything was wonderful, CMs amazing, fabulous service, etc. Someone else can come back from a trip that very same week and say that it was horrible, CMs were rude, service was crap. Who's right?

You think that b and c are incorrect? So consumers enjoy being "gouged" at buffets? I know, I know. You stated you "don't do buffets". That only means that you don't do buffets. But then if you did, you'd enjoy being "gouged"? You can't argue a negative. All I get from this, is you don't like buffets. I think Brunette has a valid point of contention however, that most people (consumers) don't want to be "gouged" for the buffets.

As to point C, I am a consumer, Goofy4prez is a consumer and Brunette is a consumer. Therefore, her use of the plural: "consumer" is completely relevant and correct. She is therefore correct in her conclusion that "consumers want their beds made and rooms cleaned before 4:00". You don't. That's o.k. no one will criticize you for that. Free will is such a wonderful thing!

As to point's A, B and C being "subjective", yes it's true. I'll tell you what though, I'd bet you a Dole Whip that you could find enough support for these three statements online. In fact, I am utterly positive these things are true by a major majority of folks. I don't need to qualify statements such as people wanting value for what they spend.

Personally, I think your just being mean to her because you don't agree with her conclusions. Lighten up.
Pirate Jeff is offline  
Old 08-20-2010, 03:05 PM   #669
goofy4prez
DIS Dads Club Member #484
I hate the Steelers & Ravens like a mother loves a child!!!!
 
goofy4prez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: N.E. Ohio
Posts: 3,218

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDSearcher View Post
I'm going to jump in here too, although this was pages ago and maybe not even valid any more. But it's interesting to me that in this post, you list all of the places you've been -- cruises, Hawaii, Australia, Europe, Paradise Island, Punta Cana, and on and on and then have the nerve to say, "You must be part of a very fortunate and small group of people who have an endless supply of disposable income."
Because I'm sitting here reading your list of vacation destinations and thinking pretty much exactly the same thing aout you! I'm wishing that I had enough disposable income to make it to even a fraction of those places. I know that wasn't your intent, but boy -- if you're trying to prove that bicker is somehow flaunting his wealth by claiming WDW to be inexpensive, you're kind of biting yourself in the behind by listing all the very expensive vacations you've taken. You've been on more vacations than most people I know and yet you're criticizing someone else for having so much "disposable income"?

I don't get that at ALL.

I suggest you read my entire comment and not take it out of context. I did state, I also spend a decent amount of disposible income. Nor in my post was I attacking his post about his vacations, I commented about the word inexpensive and Disney in the same sentence.
Further, I don't recall that I necesarily said I paid for all these trips and could be presumptious of you to assume such unless I stated I did. For what it's worth, I do spend a good deal of money for vacations; however, many of my trips have been awarded to me based on being among the top performers in sales within my industry and for achieving excellent customer service ratings. Again, no, I am not criticizing for the trips, just the word inexpensive.

But with that said, if you did read it as such, it would not have been my intention. Sure, I have a good income, but I worked hard and long for years with no pay putting every last cent back into my business and employees so that some day it would finally take care of me.


.
__________________
Aug. 2008 Wilderness Lodge- CL Jan 2009 Yacht Club-CL Aug. 2010 Wilderness Lodge-CL Dec. 2013 Wilderness Lodge-CL June 2014 Contemporary Resort-CL June 2015 Grand Floridian Villas



Achieved (6-10-12) and maintaining weight lost goal of 115 LBS.From 267 lbs to 152 lbs

Last edited by goofy4prez; 08-20-2010 at 03:29 PM.
goofy4prez is offline  
Old 08-20-2010, 03:05 PM   #670
bicker
DIS Veteran

 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Burlington, MA
Posts: 45,628

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Jeff View Post
Personally, I think your just being mean to her because you don't agree with her conclusions.
If that's the case, then there's been more than enough precedent in this thread already along those lines. Seems to me that if folks can dish it out they should be able to take it. Have a thick skin, like I have throughout this thread. Personally, I wish the thread would have had none of such silliness, and people just stuck to the topic instead of getting personal.
bicker is offline  
Old 08-20-2010, 03:11 PM   #671
KellyNY
DIS Veteran
 
KellyNY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 7,224

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker View Post
".

That's not what is happening at all. You're just getting frustrated that I'm not acceding to your perspective.

Some of what I'm writing is opinion, some is fact. It's clear from the text which is which.
Are you sure you are not mistaken. I do not post on anyone who has a different opinion, I can accept differences, can you. FACTs only for you, for the rest of us, they all just opinions.
P.S. Frustrating, no, I would call it entertaining and definitely confusing.
__________________
KELLY


DESPERADOS, AND LOVING IT !!!

HO HO HO
KellyNY is offline  
Old 08-20-2010, 03:13 PM   #672
Pirate Jeff
DIS Newby..... Disney Veteran
 
Pirate Jeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 219

Post 670:

I only got to read this because I got logged out for a second but really!! Your first words to me were: "Stop with the personal attacks" when in fact, none existed!

I have chosen to put you on ignore because this is a family friendly site and I wish to participate here. I have thick enough skin but out of respect for the board and the rest of the group, I would prefer not to engage you sir. Please respect that request. I will cease to address you in any way, please extend the same courtesy to me. If you place me on ignore, it is actually pretty easy to do.

Thanks!


Pirate Jeff is offline  
Old 08-20-2010, 03:18 PM   #673
KellyNY
DIS Veteran
 
KellyNY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 7,224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Jeff View Post
Post 670:

I only got to read this because I got logged out for a second but really!! Your first words to me were: "Stop with the personal attacks" when in fact, none existed!

I have chosen to put you on ignore because this is a family friendly site and I wish to participate here. I have thick enough skin but out of respect for the board and the rest of the group, I would prefer not to engage you sir. Please respect that request. I will cease to address you in any way, please extend the same courtesy to me. If you place me on ignore, it is actually pretty easy to do.

Thanks!



Jeff, how you do IGNORE, I never did it before but I do have "an opening" for that. Wondering how shorter thread is when you have someone on ignore?

Thanks.
__________________
KELLY


DESPERADOS, AND LOVING IT !!!

HO HO HO
KellyNY is offline  
Old 08-20-2010, 03:20 PM   #674
WDSearcher
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 11,918

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Jeff View Post
You think that b and c are incorrect? So consumers enjoy being "gouged" at buffets? I know, I know. You stated you "don't do buffets". That only means that you don't do buffets. But then if you did, you'd enjoy being "gouged"? You can't argue a negative. All I get from this, is you don't like buffets. I think Brunette has a valid point of contention however, that most people (consumers) don't want to be "gouged" for the buffets.
I don't think that consumers want to be "gouged" at buffets either. But I think that if you asked 1000 WDW consumers what they expect when visiting WDW, you're not going to find many of them who specifically call out "no buffet gouging." I think that Brunette perhaps had a bad experience with it and it's something she's angry about and so it's fallen onto this list of "what consumers want." I think that consumers want good value for their dining dollar. That's the broadrange idea. "Buffet gouging" is pretty specific. If you're going to talk about "what consumers want", that's generally more the broadrange ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Jeff View Post
As to point C, I am a consumer, Goofy4prez is a consumer and Brunette is a consumer. Therefore, her use of the plural: "consumer" is completely relevant and correct. She is therefore correct in her conclusion that "consumers want their beds made and rooms cleaned before 4:00". You don't. That's o.k. no one will criticize you for that. Free will is such a wonderful thing!
Yup ... sorry. I didn't realize that by her use of the word "consumers" Brunette was speaking only of you, Goofy4prez and herself. Based on how the list was set up, she did seem to be making the generalization much broader than just the three of you. But if I misread that, then I apologize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Jeff View Post
As to point's A, B and C being "subjective", yes it's true. I'll tell you what though, I'd bet you a Dole Whip that you could find enough support for these three statements online. In fact, I am utterly positive these things are true by a major majority of folks. I don't need to qualify statements such as people wanting value for what they spend.
Of COURSE I could find enough support for these three statements on line. I'll bet you another Dole Whip that I could also find an equal amount of support from folks who think that Disney is doing just fine in those areas. So ... who's right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Jeff View Post
Personally, I think your just being mean to her because you don't agree with her conclusions. Lighten up.
I was being mean? Where? I didn't agree with her and I told her why. Isn't that how you carry on a discussion? Where was I mean?

WDSearcher is offline  
Old 08-20-2010, 03:26 PM   #675
KittyToujours
Family of Three
 
KittyToujours's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 23

Well the last time I was there in 2007, I had an absolutely amazing time with all the shows, attractions and character meet and greets. But I felt that their food wasn't up to the expectations I had for Disney! Their selections were poor, with not a large range of foods, and not only that but the prices were over-priced. Like I understand it is a big company and it has the right to be over-priced but people pay soo much money for hotels, flights and tickets. You think they could offer food even a tiny bit cheaper Thats all I felt about the food. xxxxxxxxxxxxx
__________________



Disney World 1997, 2007 and now 2011 when we get all the money together to travel from Northern Ireland... Soo excited!!! I love you Disney!!! I love my beautiful puppy 19/02/2009!
KittyToujours is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:09 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: