Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-08-2012, 11:43 AM   #3451
KellyNY
DIS Veteran
 
KellyNY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 7,224

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunette8706 View Post
*
It's on Hwy 192. I would say it's about 10-15 minutes from the park entrance. I think a rental car is well worth the extra money too! That way you don't have to depend on the busses.

Brunette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger926 View Post
There is also a Sweet Tomatoes on SR535 which is the road off of Hotel Plaza Blvd, so it's minutes from Downtown Disney, right in front of Crossroads Shopping Center (Goodings).

We have never eaten here, as we don't really eat off-site, but we always pass it as we are doing our grocery shopping for our DVC villa.

Hope this helps, Tiger
Thanks both of you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4prez View Post
Atlantis was one of the nicest places I have been to. We stayed in the Royal Towers facing the ocean. The room was awesome as was the hotel and the entire resort. However with all that said, it was the most expensive place I have ever been too. The average price for a dinner for two was over $100. Paying $60 for a steak, another $7 for a potatoe, $10 for a salad, $8 for bottled water, and etc, etc, etc. A four day stay at this resort cost more than a week at WDW with deluxe accomidations and the DDP. For that matter, it cost more than a 7 day cruise. It was one of those things I'm glad I did, but I will never pay that kind of money again to go there. Then again, I don't drink, I don't gamble, and after a day on the beach I want to run around. I should also add, they know how to get you to spend your money. They close all the outside water attractions around 6:00 pm forcing you into their comedy clubs, casino, and expensive restaurants... Not much choice but to spend, spend, spend...
LOL, you nailed it, those were exact reasons we did not do Atlantis yet.
I always wanted to do this place, looks amazing, so I started researching their site and found their DP, which was extremely high, so I checked menues and realized that food alone will cost me a cruise.
I also a night owl, so pools closed at 6PM is not something I would like.
I still want to go there but maybe not for the whole week, maybe just few days paired with 4 night cruise and when they have discounts.
Need to do more research, unlike Disney, this is totally new for me.
__________________
KELLY


DESPERADOS, AND LOVING IT !!!

HO HO HO
KellyNY is offline  
Old 02-20-2012, 12:06 PM   #3452
Pirate Jeff
DIS Newby..... Disney Veteran
 
Pirate Jeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 219

Profit over quality? Maybe so....

....but I can't say for certain. What I can say, is: "wow, Disney sure is getting expensive and the food just isn't the same".

Just got home from our most recent trip. In fact, the car is still loaded but this was bothering me so much, I had to post about it and this seemed like the most relevant place.

I stayed at the Boardwalk Concierge. I give it two ratings. First, the staff was phenomenal! The room was fabulous and the hotel in general, was outstanding! On those points, I would say there is no decline in the "magic". If any of the Boardwalk Concierge Staff reads this, allow me to say: "you people do an awesome job!". The staff alone, probably allows me to say, the added cost, along with the quality of room and view/location, made the cost well worth it! It had to be however, as the "food" served there, frankly, was anything but, memorable! I expected a big spread of delicacies but was disappointed to see, a budget grade offering of inexpensive and not so tasty finger food. Which included, goldfish crackers and gummie bears. The wine however, was decent and well stocked.

Hats off to the staff however, they did the best with what they had and they are not responsible for the offerings of the day!

As I wasn't able to get my fill from the Concierge, I relied on other restaurants. We did the Lu'au, as we often do. Still in my opinion, the "best value at Disney World". It never disappoints and the baked chicken, is the "best chicken I've ever eaten". Unfortunately, that is the only food experience this trip that was positive!

We walked to Epcot and I felt like Mexican. I was shocked, to see the price of a taco at the counter service (yes, the "counter service outside") was......: $11.95!!!! I was floored! I have to admit, I didn't actually "see" the taco. It may have been a biggie! And it may have had all sorts of "stuff" on it! But I've never known any amount of "stuff" to be worth almost $12.00!

I also had fish and chips at England. Bland, greasy and overpriced.

We also stopped by Captain Cook's at the Polynesian where I ordered a: $9.00+ cheeseburger and dried out fries. The burger had no seasoning, no juice and was possibly one of the worst burgers I've ever eaten, for sure, at least at Disney. I wouldn't feed it to my dog it was that bad!

We ate other places as well, with varying degrees of quality. China counter service is getting more and more pricey, the portions are getting smaller and frankly, the food tastes no better than what you get out of a box!

I know prices are going up. With our current people in charge in government, that appears to be a trend that will continue for years. I understand Disney needs to make a profit and I have no qualms with them charging what is required to stay afloat and solvent.

But, when I am paying "top dollar", I DEMAND the quality that I am paying for and will accept no less. Disney to me, is a paradox. They put on a great show, maybe the "best" show. It is a place of fantasy that meets so many expectations. Yet, in some areas, they are failing and failing miserably (IMO).

This last trip, has me so disappointed. It's not just the $12.00 taco....., it's the fact that the $12.00 taco isn't worth the tortilla it's made upon.

I hope that somewhere along the way, that those with the influence to make change, realize that Disney Quality should never be an oxymoron. As it is now, in regards to overall food, sadly it is.
Pirate Jeff is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-20-2012, 12:19 PM   #3453
jujube
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,575

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Jeff View Post
....but I can't say for certain. What I can say, is: "wow, Disney sure is getting expensive and the food just isn't the same".

Just got home from our most recent trip. In fact, the car is still loaded but this was bothering me so much, I had to post about it and this seemed like the most relevant place.

I stayed at the Boardwalk Concierge. I give it two ratings. First, the staff was phenomenal! The room was fabulous and the hotel in general, was outstanding! On those points, I would say there is no decline in the "magic". If any of the Boardwalk Concierge Staff reads this, allow me to say: "you people do an awesome job!". The staff alone, probably allows me to say, the added cost, along with the quality of room and view/location, made the cost well worth it! It had to be however, as the "food" served there, frankly, was anything but, memorable! I expected a big spread of delicacies but was disappointed to see, a budget grade offering of inexpensive and not so tasty finger food. Which included, goldfish crackers and gummie bears. The wine however, was decent and well stocked.

Hats off to the staff however, they did the best with what they had and they are not responsible for the offerings of the day!

As I wasn't able to get my fill from the Concierge, I relied on other restaurants. We did the Lu'au, as we often do. Still in my opinion, the "best value at Disney World". It never disappoints and the baked chicken, is the "best chicken I've ever eaten". Unfortunately, that is the only food experience this trip that was positive!

We walked to Epcot and I felt like Mexican. I was shocked, to see the price of a taco at the counter service (yes, the "counter service outside") was......: $11.95!!!! I was floored! I have to admit, I didn't actually "see" the taco. It may have been a biggie! And it may have had all sorts of "stuff" on it! But I've never known any amount of "stuff" to be worth almost $12.00!

I also had fish and chips at England. Bland, greasy and overpriced.

We also stopped by Captain Cook's at the Polynesian where I ordered a: $9.00+ cheeseburger and dried out fries. The burger had no seasoning, no juice and was possibly one of the worst burgers I've ever eaten, for sure, at least at Disney. I wouldn't feed it to my dog it was that bad!

We ate other places as well, with varying degrees of quality. China counter service is getting more and more pricey, the portions are getting smaller and frankly, the food tastes no better than what you get out of a box!

I know prices are going up. With our current people in charge in government, that appears to be a trend that will continue for years. I understand Disney needs to make a profit and I have no qualms with them charging what is required to stay afloat and solvent.

But, when I am paying "top dollar", I DEMAND the quality that I am paying for and will accept no less. Disney to me, is a paradox. They put on a great show, maybe the "best" show. It is a place of fantasy that meets so many expectations. Yet, in some areas, they are failing and failing miserably (IMO).

This last trip, has me so disappointed. It's not just the $12.00 taco....., it's the fact that the $12.00 taco isn't worth the tortilla it's made upon.

I hope that somewhere along the way, that those with the influence to make change, realize that Disney Quality should never be an oxymoron. As it is now, in regards to overall food, sadly it is.
I have to agree with you that the BWI club level staff is wonderful! We too have found the food offerings at the various resort club level lounges has gone downhill. We don't book it anymore. I thought about RPC for the end of April but in the end I decided it just is not worth it.
It is a shame that Disney serves food that I honestly would equate to the Golden Corral Buffet.
jujube is offline  
Old 02-20-2012, 12:38 PM   #3454
Pirate Jeff
DIS Newby..... Disney Veteran
 
Pirate Jeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 219

I have to agree with you that the BWI club level staff is wonderful! We too have found the food offerings at the various resort club level lounges has gone downhill. We don't book it anymore. I thought about RPC for the end of April but in the end I decided it just is not worth it.
It is a shame that Disney serves food that I honestly would equate to the Golden Corral Buffet.
__________________



I think I may have to seriously consider Kelly NY suggestion, that I need to speak with my wallet and avoid giving in to their continued escalation of prices and decline in quality. It's hard though, especially when there are so many CM's that still have it!

This was my first Disney Concierge stay so I don't unfortunately, have anything to compare the experience to. However, I have heard a lot of the same as what you say here. In fact, if I recall, the menu sounded just like the menu at the Polynesian and the Yacht Club! So it must be a standard.

There are still I'm sure, many examples of where the food still has the same quality as always.... but, it seems to me, that your "Golden Corral" analogy applies way too often.....
Pirate Jeff is offline  
Old 02-20-2012, 01:48 PM   #3455
Disney Von Drake
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 522

Wow, it seems strange to me that so much emphasis is placed upon the food offerings. I suppose it's a sign of the times.
Disney Von Drake is offline  
Old 02-20-2012, 01:55 PM   #3456
Queen2PrincessG
DIS Veteran
 
Queen2PrincessG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Grand Floridian
Posts: 2,980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Von Drake View Post
Wow, it seems strange to me that so much emphasis is placed upon the food offerings. I suppose it's a sign of the times.
Well my view is that so many of the menus are repetitive. How many burgers restaurants can one place offer? Why is the kid menu so limited? There can be improvement but the fact remains with the ever growing amount of bad eating people do, especially on vacation, Disney has no need to make new or change menus.
__________________

Queen2PrincessG is offline  
Old 02-20-2012, 01:57 PM   #3457
jujube
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,575

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Von Drake View Post
Wow, it seems strange to me that so much emphasis is placed upon the food offerings. I suppose it's a sign of the times.
Why does it surprise you that people expect quality food when they are paying quality prices? What do you place emphasis on at WDW, just rides/attractions?
If you're inferring that I am overweight because I expect good food, think again. I'm 5'4" and wear a size 4-6.
jujube is offline  
Old 02-20-2012, 02:06 PM   #3458
brunette8706
DIS Veteran
 
brunette8706's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,885

Quote:
Originally Posted by jujube View Post
Why does it surprise you that people expect quality food when they are paying quality prices? What do you place emphasis on at WDW, just rides/attractions?
If you're inferring that I am overweight because I expect good food, think again. I'm 5'4" and wear a size 4-6.
**

__________________
brunette8706 is offline  
Old 02-20-2012, 02:53 PM   #3459
WLSILVERCREEKSPRINGS
DIS Veteran
 
WLSILVERCREEKSPRINGS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 711

While I agree with you regarding the food at DW, and told them so in a survey I took about EPCOT , I will say the taco is a good meal, it's not just one taco and its shredded beef, it was a tasteful change from most of the QS restaraunts, that and the BBQ at Flame Tree are really good, IMO. PS: Food is one of my top interests at DW also and I'm 6'1" - 185lbs

Last edited by WLSILVERCREEKSPRINGS; 02-20-2012 at 02:56 PM. Reason: PS
WLSILVERCREEKSPRINGS is offline  
Old 02-20-2012, 03:13 PM   #3460
Pirate Jeff
DIS Newby..... Disney Veteran
 
Pirate Jeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Von Drake View Post
Wow, it seems strange to me that so much emphasis is placed upon the food offerings. I suppose it's a sign of the times.
It must be!

Silly me, worrying about getting value for my money!

Another "strange" "sign of the times", that so little emphasis is put on being concerned with what a person receives for every dollar they spend!
Pirate Jeff is offline  
Old 02-20-2012, 03:18 PM   #3461
Pirate Jeff
DIS Newby..... Disney Veteran
 
Pirate Jeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLSILVERCREEKSPRINGS View Post
While I agree with you regarding the food at DW, and told them so in a survey I took about EPCOT , I will say the taco is a good meal, it's not just one taco and its shredded beef, it was a tasteful change from most of the QS restaraunts, that and the BBQ at Flame Tree are really good, IMO. PS: Food is one of my top interests at DW also and I'm 6'1" - 185lbs
Maybe I'll give it a chance, on your recommendation! It must be "some" taco however to warrant such an exuberant price! I have to admit, I didn't try it. I could not see my way fit, to spend so much! I'll let you know in May...... Thanks for the info!

Oh, and seeing as it appears "important", I'm 5'10" and 183. So much for that theory, eh?
Pirate Jeff is offline  
Old 02-20-2012, 03:20 PM   #3462
Pirate Jeff
DIS Newby..... Disney Veteran
 
Pirate Jeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by jujube View Post
Why does it surprise you that people expect quality food when they are paying quality prices? What do you place emphasis on at WDW, just rides/attractions?
If you're inferring that I am overweight because I expect good food, think again. I'm 5'4" and wear a size 4-6.


That, warrants two!!!
Pirate Jeff is offline  
Old 02-20-2012, 03:57 PM   #3463
DisneyTraveler18
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 43

Do I think Disney is going downhill? No.

I think operating costs have gone way up for them. I think the cost of getting food to prepare has gone up. I think rides are getting both older and more complicated. I think more people are coming, which makes it harder for them to get major maintenance done.

I think they still do a great job. They made some good product upgrades to Illuminations to improving timing. I think FLE is going to be amazing. I think Main Street looks great. I think some of the Next Gen stuff(Talking Mickey, Sorcerers of Magic Kingdom) are really cool. And I think the CM's are still great.

They deal with the hand their dealt. And I still think they do a great job.
DisneyTraveler18 is offline  
Old 02-20-2012, 04:35 PM   #3464
flicx
Please stand clear of the doors!
 
flicx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Slippin Falls Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,328

Quote:
Originally Posted by jujube View Post
It is a shame that Disney serves food that I honestly would equate to the Golden Corral Buffet.
I really like the golden corral. What I have a problem with is the fact you pay about 5 times as much at disney. Of course I never had a buffet at disney, I could never get past the sticker shock. Plus we never do the free dining,just couldn't find value there!
__________________
flicx is offline  
Old 02-20-2012, 08:48 PM   #3465
WLSILVERCREEKSPRINGS
DIS Veteran
 
WLSILVERCREEKSPRINGS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 711

It's actually 2 tacos and some chips; sure it's overpriced but it tastes good and it's different
WLSILVERCREEKSPRINGS is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: