Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 11:03 PM   #3391
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunette8706 View Post
Hi DRDISNEYMD!
Your post was well thought out and enjoyable to read. We hope you post more often too!

Brunette
Thanks Brunette! I appreciate this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Jeff View Post
At the prompting of DW, I would extend a big ole' "howdy" and thanks to the kind folks with the nice words to me. Spacemountainmom, NYTimez, DrDisneyMD et.al. I'm never quite sure whether or not to respond to such positive words as I have often been thought of as being a bit "full of myself". I'm probably not as much as it may appear at times, it is just writing, something I love to do.

That said, to you fine folks that offered your kind words,

Thank you!

Pirate Jeff. Aaaargh!!
Your welcome! I love your posts -- I can read them all day.

Quote:
Thanks for posting this article -- it struck a cord with me. The article was well written and thoughtful. Especially, regarding Disney's acquisition of Pixar, thank goodness it worked out in Disney's favor but what if it didn't?!? --> close call. I believe Disney became somewhat complacent and now they are trying to make up for it -- in a BIG way. I am extremely excited about the Fantasyland, Avatarland and all the other park enhancements. I hope it pays off for them -- the way it did for Universal.

WWOHP Endless Line

Old 11-21-2011, 10:53 AM   #3392
KellyNY
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thank you for sharing!

I do feel however that articles like this one, which is based strictly on someones unsupported by anything feelings is what brings negative reaction.

I do believe that Disney is overpriced but I also believe that every company should earn money and does not have to invest right back all the earnings, which is what article suggesting.

Yes, Walt was a dreamer, imagineer, but without his brother nothing would work in a first place and without stocks today not much would work as well.

I think it is kind of childish to count Disney money, why not to count how much they added since Disney brothers.

Sure we want new ride or attraction added to every park, every year but then parks will expand way too fast and we already dealing with way too many things to fit into a regular 7 days vacation. And we will have FL and Avatar pretty soon, so they do invest after all, not saying that they do not lack in some areas but it has nothing to do with article itself.

Bottom line, there are problems, there are areas I wish they pay more attention to and there are areas they could do better if they invested a bit more there but all this What would Walt say, do, think... just really does not make a case, except making an emotional splash. JMO.

DESPERADOS, AND LOVING IT !!!

HO HO HO
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-21-2011, 09:16 PM   #3393
flicx
Please stand clear of the doors!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRDISNEYMD View Post
Thanks Brunette! I appreciate this!

Your welcome! I love your posts -- I can read them all day.

Thanks for posting this article -- it struck a cord with me. The article was well written and thoughtful. Especially, regarding Disney's acquisition of Pixar, thank goodness it worked out in Disney's favor but what if it didn't?!? --> close call. I believe Disney became somewhat complacent and now they are trying to make up for it -- in a BIG way. I am extremely excited about the Fantasyland, Avatarland and all the other park enhancements. I hope it pays off for them -- the way it did for Universal.

WWOHP Endless Line
The picture you have from universal is sobering! Wow!!! I would hate to be in that line!While I think the fantasyland expansion will do well I don't see the Harry Potter type reaction.That place must have been nuts for a long time.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:55 AM   #3394
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

Quote:
Originally Posted by flicx View Post
The picture you have from universal is sobering! Wow!!! I would hate to be in that line!While I think the fantasyland expansion will do well I don't see the Harry Potter type reaction.That place must have been nuts for a long time.
LOL. If I ran into a line like that, there is no way I would stick around. I don't think Fantasyland would conjure up anything remotely close to this. However, I think Disney is hopeful that Avatarland will bring in numbers similar to HP - just a guess.

Old 01-01-2012, 04:33 PM   #3395
flicx
Please stand clear of the doors!

Stay tuned for a big announcement!
Old 01-01-2012, 04:46 PM   #3396
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

Now flicx....

It was rather lame wasn't it? We might still go but I am considering skipping this year. I was hoping that some wonderful announcement would convince me to go for sure.
Old 01-01-2012, 04:59 PM   #3397
basas
The majority of people are still good people

Yes, I think Disney (especially in Florida) has gone downhill over the past decade. While the competition is improving and investing in their parks, Disney has let its Florida parks become stale. Quality has gone down while prices have gone up. Everything from dining to merchandise and maintenance has slowly decreased in quality.

I'm still hoping things can turn around. Things were bad in Anaheim until their 50th celebration and fortunately they are now back on the right path. Hopefully the same can happen in Orlando.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:23 PM   #3398
smidgy
dimples

Quote:
Old 01-01-2012, 09:40 PM   #3399
brunette8706
DIS Veteran

Quote:

All the hype, for WHAT??? Sheesh.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:59 PM   #3400
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by basas View Post
Yes, I think Disney (especially in Florida) has gone downhill over the past decade. While the competition is improving and investing in their parks, Disney has let its Florida parks become stale. Quality has gone down while prices have gone up. Everything from dining to merchandise and maintenance has slowly decreased in quality.

I'm still hoping things can turn around. Things were bad in Anaheim until their 50th celebration and fortunately they are now back on the right path. Hopefully the same can happen in Orlando.
I think that it can happen. It certainly isn't moving in that direction yet but maybe someone who cares will take over and set things right.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:08 AM   #3401
WDSearcher
DIS Veteran

Quote:

All the hype, for WHAT??? Sheesh.
Disney totally shoots itself in the foot with stuff like this. If they had just made the announcement without all of the hype -- Twitter reminders, Facebook posts, promos on the Disney Parade, etc -- it would have been a cool announcement. But all the "it's gonna be BIG" stuff prior to killed them. Nothing would have matched the hype.

That said ... the folks on the DIS and other BBs who are laughing hysterically at the "big announcement" are really not the focus audience for stuff like that. When Disney hypes new events or short-term discounts, they're not going for the experienced, comes-every-year, knows-all-the-ins-and-outs Disney traveler. They're trying to hook the newbies or the folks who traveled to WDW or DL years ago and are on the fence about spending the money to do a return trip. To THEM, this kind of thing strikes a much different chord.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:12 AM   #3402
Tiger926
DIS Veteran

Been away from thread for awhile as I needed a break, but promised I would report back as we have been here for 6 days and have 5 more to go!

Record crowds and MK closed under a phase 3 on NYE morn by 10:30 am, yet parks are pretty spotless, crowd control is amazing, CMs are pretty pleasant, and no broken rides at all!

We have seen some pixie dust spread by CMs as well, and Disney has had 2 parks each day with EMH to handle crowd. Fab staffing levels as well! Everyone seems to be going above and beyond to multitask and help guests as much as possible.

Bathrooms have 2-3 CMs staffed outside or inside to handle the crowds, and restaurants seem to be running on time as well, even on NYE!

Decorations are a bit sparse in certain areas, with the best resort continiung to be GF, and a tie for us between AK and MK for best park.

DHS and especially Epcot are disappointing overall, but spectacular showpiece trees. Epcot is most disappointing as they just recycled Flower and Garden topiaries for entrance - added a few hats and scarves. Very disappointing...

Overall, we have been pleased with resort and park maintenance, crowd control and park functioning as it is the busiest week of the year.

We have been to the parks a million times, and we have had some amazing times on this trip with meeting characters, seeing shows and getting lots of smiles and stickers from CMs. They really are making things special for us all!!

If anyone has questions, I will do my best to answer.

Happy New Year, Tiger

Last edited by Tiger926; 01-02-2012 at 06:18 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:55 AM   #3403
budamacdvcr
DIS Dad #737

cudos to WDW & CMs

Just back from first Christmas / NYE trip and after reading all the warnings about this time of year to visit all our family can say is wow Disney! As PP stated WDW was more than prepared to handle crowd levels, restaurants moved quickly, rides all running, parks super clean considering crowd levels, etc. IMO cannot say anything other than WDW constinues to improve and set new standards in service levels, innovation and memories - Magic Memories and You show and is example of WDW taking it to another level.

Hope all others that were at WDW for the week between Christmas and NYE had the same great overall experience we did.
DIS Dads #737
me DW DD (19) DS (16)

WDW 19 Trips, DCL 8 Cruises, March '13 DLR

Old 01-02-2012, 09:06 AM   #3404
goofy4prez
DIS Dads Club Member #484
I hate the Steelers & Ravens like a mother loves a child!!!!

Yep er, I found that "BIG" anouncement to be something really big. I list it right up there with a few other "Big" disappointments.

1. That first kiss from Wendy in the school playground line in 2nd grade.
2. Geraldo Rivera opening the lost vault of Al Capone
3. The follow up album from the Knack after releasing "My Sharona."
4. The Cleveland Browns season in....... Well every year since they came back in 1999.
5. Hoping my Pentium II processor would crash on 1-1-2000 because it was not Y2K compliant.

I am still amazed that WDW would consider this a big annoucement. A promotional enticement that gives one day and only during a two week period in the calander year is not "Big" WDW; Nor do I consider giving away 60 total 5 day vacations. Oh well, I still love Disney though.

Achieved (6-10-12) and maintaining weight lost goal of 115 LBS.From 267 lbs to 152 lbs

Last edited by goofy4prez; 01-02-2012 at 09:11 AM.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:38 AM   #3405
KellyNY
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger926 View Post
Been away from thread for awhile as I needed a break, but promised I would report back as we have been here for 6 days and have 5 more to go!

Record crowds and MK closed under a phase 3 on NYE morn by 10:30 am, yet parks are pretty spotless, crowd control is amazing, CMs are pretty pleasant, and no broken rides at all!

We have seen some pixie dust spread by CMs as well, and Disney has had 2 parks each day with EMH to handle crowd. Fab staffing levels as well! Everyone seems to be going above and beyond to multitask and help guests as much as possible.

Bathrooms have 2-3 CMs staffed outside or inside to handle the crowds, and restaurants seem to be running on time as well, even on NYE!

Decorations are a bit sparse in certain areas, with the best resort continiung to be GF, and a tie for us between AK and MK for best park.

DHS and especially Epcot are disappointing overall, but spectacular showpiece trees. Epcot is most disappointing as they just recycled Flower and Garden topiaries for entrance - added a few hats and scarves. Very disappointing...

Overall, we have been pleased with resort and park maintenance, crowd control and park functioning as it is the busiest week of the year.

We have been to thearks a million times, and we have had some amazing times on this trip with meeting characters, seeing shows and getting lots of smiles and stickers from CMs. They really are making things special for us all!!

If anyone has questions, I will do my best to answer.

Happy New Year, Tiger
Happy New Year Tiger! Glad to see you here and to hear that Disney handled crowds well. I noticed that during busy times like Independance day and Spring Break they usually have no problems maintaining parks, parks are spotless and CMs are super friendly, at least in my experience.
You are super brave to be there during this time of year, how were lines, how long it took to be seated, how you even walked there? Details, details, please, pictures even better.

DESPERADOS, AND LOVING IT !!!

HO HO HO
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: