Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 10:03 AM   #3376
MickeyMinnieMom
DIS Veteran

This is a bit of an aside, but I think connected to the discussion in this thread. The link below is to a recent poll of young professionals and the companies they most want to work for. Disney comes in 5th, after the likes of Google and Facebook.

In a big-picture sense this is a positive indicator for the future of these companies as a whole. I think this goes to the idea that the Disney brand is still a VERY strong one out there in the general population.

Not "proof" of anything, just something interesting I just read this morning.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...Tabs%3Darticle

Last edited by MickeyMinnieMom; 11-14-2011 at 10:13 AM.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:38 AM   #3377
WDSearcher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMinnieMom View Post
I'm not personally going to cry about this going away either, but I'm sure some will miss it.

From a business perspective, eliminating this show doesn't seem like it would cut much in the way of costs, though. A handful of people's hourly rates for what - an hour total (prep, show, denouement) per day? If it's a cost-cutting measure it seems like a poor one to me.
It may be a "trade out", though. Like ... "if we close the RD show, that saves us X character hours and so we can use that to add characters somewhere else" (like the character lunch at Tusker, where Donald was just added). It doesn't really "cut costs", but it allows a new offering to come in to replace something that was maybe a lower performer.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-14-2011, 01:38 PM   #3378
MickeyMinnieMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDSearcher View Post
It may be a "trade out", though. Like ... "if we close the RD show, that saves us X character hours and so we can use that to add characters somewhere else" (like the character lunch at Tusker, where Donald was just added). It doesn't really "cut costs", but it allows a new offering to come in to replace something that was maybe a lower performer.

Gotcha' -- that would make sense as a rationale: effectively replacing one offering for another. Presumably they would think this new use would be more popular with guests than the old, under this scenario. Hopefully that's the case with their reasoning, anyway...

Old 11-14-2011, 01:43 PM   #3379
WDSearcher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Gotcha' -- that would make sense as a rationale: effectively replacing one offering for another. Presumably they would think this new use would be more popular with guests than the old, under this scenario. Hopefully that's the case with their reasoning, anyway...
That would be my guess. The RD at DAK was always kind of an odd fit, IMO. They haven't really hit the right tone with that ceremony, I don't think. It's an odd location to try and stage something because there's such limited space and such bad sight lines. I have the same problem with the one at DHS. Plenty of space there, but unless you're in the first or second row at the rope, you can't see or hear a darn thing!

Old 11-15-2011, 08:41 AM   #3380
KSDisneyDad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
This is a bit of an aside, but I think connected to the discussion in this thread. The link below is to a recent poll of young professionals and the companies they most want to work for. Disney comes in 5th, after the likes of Google and Facebook.

In a big-picture sense this is a positive indicator for the future of these companies as a whole. I think this goes to the idea that the Disney brand is still a VERY strong one out there in the general population.

Not "proof" of anything, just something interesting I just read this morning.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...Tabs%3Darticle
Thanks for sharing.
WDW - BCV (Jun '12) BLT (Jun '11); Boardwalk (Sep '10); Poly (Aug '07), CR (Nov '06), AKL (Nov '04, Sept '06), Swan (Dec '05), POR (Dec '98, Mar '10), POFQ (Mar '05), CSR (Nov '02), CBR (Jun '03), Sports (Dec99, Oct '01, Dec '02), Music (Aug '09), Movies (Dec '00, Aug '07), Pop (Jun '04 Jun '05)
DLR - August 2008 and January 2013 at DLH
DCL Gold CC Member: Magic Western (Sep-05, Sep-06); Magic Panama Canal Repo (Aug-08); Wonder 4-night (Mar-10 and Sept-10) Fantasy Eastern (Jun-12)

Next Trip: 6/15/2013 - 7-Night Eastern Caribbean Fantasy and BLT!
Old 11-15-2011, 09:09 AM   #3381
Albytaps
Mickey's Biggest Fan

I was in the world last week and there was a couple of things that made me think about this post. For one, the monorail closed down before the parks sometimes. This was really bothersome since we're at the BLT and mostly chose that resort for the convenience of the monorails. I thought it might be to save money, which I thought was lame. Another was that I thought the CS food was much better than previous years.

So you see, there are ups and downs. It's all about how you look at it.

WE LOVE DISNEY

Me DW DD DD DD DD

Old 11-15-2011, 06:42 PM   #3382
brunette8706
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albytaps View Post
I was in the world last week and there was a couple of things that made me think about this post. For one, the monorail closed down before the parks sometimes. This was really bothersome since we're at the BLT and mostly chose that resort for the convenience of the monorails. I thought it might be to save money, which I thought was lame. Another was that I thought the CS food was much better than previous years.

So you see, there are ups and downs. It's all about how you look at it.
Hi Albytaps!

I thought that they reverted back to having the monorail service full time during park hours? What counter service restaurant did you go to? Some CS are better than others in my opinion.

Brunette
Old 11-15-2011, 10:02 PM   #3383
smidgy
dimples

brunettte.
I can't speak for oct or nov. in sept, we were at BLT.. our FIRST ever stay at a monorail resort!!

ps (I know some people insist on calling them MK resorts, and that the monorail is not guaranteed, but we all know they are monorail resorts. and you pay a premium for that. for example, Wilderness Lodge, Shades of Green, and For tWildreness are MK resorts, but are NOT monorail resorts.

anyway we stayed at BLT in sept. the first hard ticketed event since the new monorail policy.. and no one knew anything. we asked at the front desk of Cr, one Cm knew nothing about shortened monorail hours, the other said it wouldn't be a problem.. they DID run later for night of Joy, but you never knew from day to day when. they were shortened earlier during night of joy to add more trains, but we were'nt made aware.

every day we would call fromt desk and ask, and no one knew anything
Old 11-18-2011, 06:57 PM   #3384
brunette8706
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smidgy View Post
brunettte.
I can't speak for oct or nov. in sept, we were at BLT.. our FIRST ever stay at a monorail resort!!

ps (I know some people insist on calling them MK resorts, and that the monorail is not guaranteed, but we all know they are monorail resorts. and you pay a premium for that. for example, Wilderness Lodge, Shades of Green, and For tWildreness are MK resorts, but are NOT monorail resorts.

anyway we stayed at BLT in sept. the first hard ticketed event since the new monorail policy.. and no one knew anything. we asked at the front desk of Cr, one Cm knew nothing about shortened monorail hours, the other said it wouldn't be a problem.. they DID run later for night of Joy, but you never knew from day to day when. they were shortened earlier during night of joy to add more trains, but we were'nt made aware.

every day we would call fromt desk and ask, and no one knew anything
Hey Smidgey! Sorry, been busy at work and haven't had a chance to reply. You would think that as much as you pay for the premium monorail resorts, that A. the CM would at least know the hours of operations or B. That the monorail really should be operating within the park hours INCLUDING the EMHs. I still think it's a way to make cuts.

Brunette
Old 11-18-2011, 07:01 PM   #3385
brunette8706
DIS Veteran

I Don't Think Uncle Walt Would Be Very Happy

Dad's Guide To Walt Disney World--

http://dads-blog.dadsguidetowdw.com/...be-very-happy/
Old 11-18-2011, 07:06 PM   #3386
brunette8706
DIS Veteran

Analysis: A Fifth Theme Park at Walt Disney World

This is a BLOG about a rumored 5th park! Now that would be AWESOME!

read on:

http://www.disunplugged.com/2011/11/...-disney-world/

Happy Friday everyone!

Brunette
Old 11-18-2011, 08:03 PM   #3387
flicx
Please stand clear of the doors!

Very interesting reading brunette.I enjoyed both articles.I personally think alot like the authors of both.Eisner did a better job with the theme parks and Iger is a bean counter only as far as i am concerned!
Old 11-18-2011, 08:11 PM   #3388
brunette8706
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by flicx View Post
Very interesting reading brunette.I enjoyed both articles.I personally think alot like the authors of both.Eisner did a better job with the theme parks and Iger is a bean counter only as far as i am concerned!
Hey ya FLICX!

Yes, the First Article is really good! I think Eisner wasn't really that concerned with the bottom line, he was more in tune with getting bigger and better parks and attractions erected within WDW, just like Walt himself. Also, I had no idea that Disney sold some of their 47 acre property! Sheesh!

I think it would be really neat to open a 5th park also! They used to develop parks every 10 years....So hopefully, one will be on the horizon!

Hope you're doing well! Happy Friday!

Brunette
Old 11-18-2011, 09:13 PM   #3389
notfrostyjosh
DIS Veteran

Eisner was an erratic egomaniac - http://www.amazon.com/DisneyWar-Jame...1672285&sr=8-8
Old 11-19-2011, 04:02 PM   #3390
MickeyMinnieMom
DIS Veteran

Eisner and Iger are VERY different leaders... tidbits written up about both of them in many business books and texts out there. Pros and cons of each style.

I'd disagree strongly that Iger is a bean counter and Eisner didn't care as much about the bottom line. ALL CEOs care A GREAT DEAL about the bottom line!! It's the only way they keep their jobs and get their hefty bonuses. And both of them know what keeps Disney a leading company -- selling that magical experience. So NEITHER of them discounts that. Eisner and Iger have very different styles wrt to talking about this stuff, though, which might give the different impressions many people have of them (i.e. that one cared and the other is a bean counter).

Iger has a solid track record at Disney, and has just joined the Board of Apple -- neither company takes on slouches or tolerates mediocrity. And the general take of Disney employees is that Iger is a more approachable leader, where Eisner isolated himself and had... umm... quite a high opinion of himself. Eisner did resurrect the theme parks, though - no doubt about that. Best decision he ever made, I think.

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: