Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 08-12-2010, 10:45 AM   #301
bicker
DIS Veteran

 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Burlington, MA
Posts: 45,628

I think focusing on the words, themselves, is missing the point. The point is what desires should Disney be satisfying, versus which desires should Disney be discounting. The point is that the desires of the guests who are willing to pay a premium for what Disney offers clearly warrant far more consideration than the desires of guests who either will never spend a dime at WDW, or will only take advantage of deep discounts and such. And again, this is not put forward as a happy thing, from a consumer's standpoint, but rather is a real thing, the way things actually are, as unfortunate as that might be for us.
bicker is offline  
Old 08-12-2010, 10:52 AM   #302
luckyprincess
Dis Lord
 
luckyprincess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by flicx View Post
Yes by all means turn a blind eye to disney.Never give them feedback,be a zombie.Sorry not for me.Great place was alot better place in the past IMO.What happens when all the loyal dis goers quit going and bringing others along?
When you break it down to sound that ridiculous (don't complain, just be happy even if something is subpar, accept below average because it's 'magical') I don't see how people can keep beating that same tired drum...

Of course, I haven't commented on the state of WDW because I'll have an opinion on that after the 31st when I get back. I am commenting on the constant argument that if you relay a negative experience than you somehow are a negative person. When you purchase a product (vacay) than you are being a responsible consumer when you give feedback about both positive and negative. I'm never going to just accept below average for something I'm paying for. It's not like Walt invited you on his dime...
__________________

luckyprincess is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 08-12-2010, 10:55 AM   #303
luckyprincess
Dis Lord
 
luckyprincess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by smidgy View Post



I have posted my not-so-great expereinces. (you can call it complaining, I call it sharing, and warning). I have also taken time to help out many others (esp. newbies) with happy thoughts and advice.... the "nature" of a discussion board.
and, I agree, Disney has "gone down" in many ways. I hate to see it.
Just wanted you to know that I appreciated your feedback on that other thread that got slammed shut and on this one. If I just wanted to read about the awesome stuff and no real issues I would read a Disney brochure...
__________________

luckyprincess is offline  
Old 08-12-2010, 11:04 AM   #304
KellyNY
DIS Veteran
 
KellyNY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 7,224

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker View Post
I think focusing on the words, themselves, is missing the point. The point is what desires should Disney be satisfying, versus which desires should Disney be discounting. The point is that the desires of the guests who are willing to pay a premium for what Disney offers clearly warrant far more consideration than the desires of guests who either will never spend a dime at WDW, or will only take advantage of deep discounts and such. And again, this is not put forward as a happy thing, from a consumer's standpoint, but rather is a real thing, the way things actually are, as unfortunate as that might be for us.
If guest comming to Disney he already spends so the only guest who does not spend is no guest at all. Deep discounts are highly seeked by every guest in my opinion but even going with 40% discount does not mean not spending on anything else, in fact many people use saved money for TS, tours and gifts. I am sure that Disney strategies are far more complex when it comes to additions and replacements. JMO.
__________________
KELLY


DESPERADOS, AND LOVING IT !!!

HO HO HO
KellyNY is offline  
Old 08-12-2010, 12:03 PM   #305
Indiana Rose Lee
Baby Factory Extraordinaire! ;)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,324

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planogirl View Post
To me this is a case of apples and oranges. Groceries are a necessity while I wouldn't categorize a trip to WDW in the same way. Well at least not to me.

I consider the increase in turkey leg prices prohibitive. Maybe I'm biased because I don't like the things though.
Lol, I guess that I was thinking that costs everywhere have gone up a lot. I don't think that the percentages are that far off. I paid a fortune for a crappy hotel for my traveling son. A super 8 is far ickier than the value resorts. I just know for us (a large family) Disney and, I suppose, the whole Orlando area is a bargain.

Someone said something about the grand canyon! For our crew to spend 3 nights it took 3 rooms at the Yavapai was $1400, and the food costs were off the chart.

Smoked turkey legs are nasty. Several of my crew like them, so they get them to share. It is like watching a pack of hyenas, frankly. Scary.
Indiana Rose Lee is offline  
Old 08-12-2010, 12:12 PM   #306
flicx
Please stand clear of the doors!
 
flicx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Slippin Falls Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,285

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyNY View Post
If guest comming to Disney he already spends so the only guest who does not spend is no guest at all. Deep discounts are highly seeked by every guest in my opinion but even going with 40% discount does not mean not spending on anything else, in fact many people use saved money for TS, tours and gifts. I am sure that Disney strategies are far more complex when it comes to additions and replacements. JMO.
Have to agree here.

I will say this disney rack rates are just plain crazy.If they didn't offer discounts they would loose a ton of business!It's a joke to take the 40% off a face value.I mean does everyone go out and buy a new car when they advertise the lowest prices of the year? Of course not, you know they boost the regular price to compensate for it.
flicx is offline  
Old 08-12-2010, 12:19 PM   #307
Indiana Rose Lee
Baby Factory Extraordinaire! ;)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,324

Quote:
Originally Posted by flicx View Post
Have to agree here.

I will say this disney rack rates are just plain crazy.If they didn't offer discounts they would loose a ton of business!It's a joke to take the 40% off a face value.I mean does everyone go out and buy a new car when they advertise the lowest prices of the year? Of course not, you know they boost the regular price to compensate for it.
I worked in a jewelry store, and the gold and silver were always 40 to 50 percent off. We just changed the signs around. It was obvious that there was not really a discount.

Of course, at Disney, like many hotels, some people really do pay rack.
Indiana Rose Lee is offline  
Old 08-12-2010, 01:33 PM   #308
KellyNY
DIS Veteran
 
KellyNY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 7,224

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyprincess View Post
When you break it down to sound that ridiculous (don't complain, just be happy even if something is subpar, accept below average because it's 'magical') I don't see how people can keep beating that same tired drum...
It is not about being negative or wearing rose glasses but expectations. For example I saw many comments about Mousekeeping which really screamed expectations. People claimed that mousekeeping always kept their room clean, but did not go above and beyond that was expected by them at Deluxe hotel. What exactly was expected is a mistery for me, tell me it is not high expectations. Below par service is when you know exactly what is par anyway. Many people mistake "above and beyond" with "par" and this is where negative comments take place. Also reading about real complain is useful but general ones not so much. JMO.
__________________
KELLY


DESPERADOS, AND LOVING IT !!!

HO HO HO
KellyNY is offline  
Old 08-12-2010, 01:49 PM   #309
Indiana Rose Lee
Baby Factory Extraordinaire! ;)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,324

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyNY View Post
It is not about being negative or wearing rose glasses but expectations. For example I saw many comments about Mousekeeping which really screamed expectations. People claimed that mousekeeping always kept their room clean, but did not go above and beyond that was expected by them at Deluxe hotel. What exactly was expected is a mistery for me, tell me it is not high expectations. Below par service is when you know exactly what is par anyway. Many people mistake "above and beyond" with "par" and this is where negative comments take place. Also reading about real complain is useful but general ones not so much. JMO.
This.
Indiana Rose Lee is offline  
Old 08-12-2010, 02:36 PM   #310
brunette8706
DIS Veteran
 
brunette8706's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,816

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker View Post
Then you've violated the forums rules in presenting a personal attack.

As it is, the answer is neither. We disagree. I think you're wrong, as much if not more than you think I'm wrong. The difference, which might be frustrating, is that my explanation actually fits with the way companies operate, while your explanation does not match, and you yourself have provided the examples of where those mismatches are.
**
Bicker-

First, if you consider my words to you a "personal attack" or at the very least responding in kind to the condescention you have shown me and others, your words have no merit.

Second, I, nor anyone else, has suggested that Disney should not make a profit. It is further clear how business should work and that corporations can not solvent if they operate at a loss. There is a point however, where the number one goal of a corporation should not be entirely about profit. For example after the earth quake in Haiti, many stories were written about people selling water for $20 a bottle. It's clear they could get that price, but does that make it right? Now Disney can charge enormous fees for their "product" that does not necessarly mean it's a good business practice. First timers and only timers may not notice the subtle changes but for us who have been here again and again we do! We can argue this back and forth and it is clear you and I will not agree. I can live with that. What I do have an issue with, is the suggestion that somehow my feelings and other's are irrelavent. While yours, regardless of what criteria they are based on, are justified on your own point of view.

Contrary to your statements you have presented no more "facts" than anyone else. Further, just because I take issue with certain things doesn't make it inappropriate to state them. In fact my continued patronage of Disney allows me, in my own right, the justification to speak my piece. That's what this thread is about. If I was so disenfranchised with Disney, I wouldn't be writing this to you from the 4th floor of the Yacht club.

Brunette
__________________
brunette8706 is offline  
Old 08-12-2010, 02:38 PM   #311
brunette8706
DIS Veteran
 
brunette8706's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,816

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyprincess View Post
When you break it down to sound that ridiculous (don't complain, just be happy even if something is subpar, accept below average because it's 'magical') I don't see how people can keep beating that same tired drum...

Of course, I haven't commented on the state of WDW because I'll have an opinion on that after the 31st when I get back. I am commenting on the constant argument that if you relay a negative experience than you somehow are a negative person. When you purchase a product (vacay) than you are being a responsible consumer when you give feedback about both positive and negative. I'm never going to just accept below average for something I'm paying for. It's not like Walt invited you on his dime...
*
I concur. That is why we are having this discussion. Disney is an enjoyable place but there are things that need to be addressed. Not all things are perfect here at Walt Disney World. Good post.
__________________
brunette8706 is offline  
Old 08-12-2010, 02:41 PM   #312
Indiana Rose Lee
Baby Factory Extraordinaire! ;)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,324

Just curious. Why on earth are you wasting time at the Yacht Club arguing with a msg board poster?
Indiana Rose Lee is offline  
Old 08-12-2010, 02:52 PM   #313
brunette8706
DIS Veteran
 
brunette8706's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Rose Lee View Post
Just curious. Why on earth are you wasting time at the Yacht Club arguing with a msg board poster?
**
I ordered 2 days of internet service. I'm waiting for DH to get out of the shower. So I decided to log on. Going to Kimono's for sushi at 5:30. But, you're right, it's never ending disagreement. I guess we're just going to have to agree to disagree. I wrote on the Yacht Club board on the resorts forum that they did have a FIRE ALARM emergency at 6:30 this morning. Both resorts had to evacuate. Come to find out it was a false alarm. Couldn't go back to sleep. So, we just returned from Storm-Along-Bay pool which is awesome.
__________________
brunette8706 is offline  
Old 08-12-2010, 03:57 PM   #314
Cat0727
I am used to crowds and yielding to others all the time
 
Cat0727's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 7,472

I don't know if I'd say ''downhill" but the increase of prices and lack of package deals for the public concerns me.
Cat0727 is offline  
Old 08-12-2010, 04:06 PM   #315
Indiana Rose Lee
Baby Factory Extraordinaire! ;)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,324

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunette8706 View Post
**
I ordered 2 days of internet service. I'm waiting for DH to get out of the shower. So I decided to log on. Going to Kimono's for sushi at 5:30. But, you're right, it's never ending disagreement. I guess we're just going to have to agree to disagree. I wrote on the Yacht Club board on the resorts forum that they did have a FIRE ALARM emergency at 6:30 this morning. Both resorts had to evacuate. Come to find out it was a false alarm. Couldn't go back to sleep. So, we just returned from Storm-Along-Bay pool which is awesome.
I hare hotel fore alarms. I made my mom leave in her pjs one night when we were in dc and we were the only people who didn't change! Either that or they all sleep in their clothing! Sorry for your rough start to the day!
Indiana Rose Lee is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:28 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: