Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 09:54 AM   #2731
Tiger926
DIS Veteran

Not sure if you all have seen the health food inspector thread on the Restaurant Board, so here is that link:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2764096

Very interesting findings in some of WDW restaurants, in terms of repeated critical violations (those restaurants would have been immediately closed in my city) and next steps in terms of rectifying those violations.

I think it speaks to Disney not properly hiring trained or experienced people for their kitchens, as well as their obsession with heavy profit margins, and their insistence in packing guests in restaurants.

Tiger
Old 07-27-2011, 10:13 AM   #2732
brunette8706
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4prez View Post
I'm sorry, I don't think a persons wage should have anything to do with how they treat a customer. When I go to a McDonalds a Target (will not step foot in a Walmart), or anywhere else I expect to be treated properly. I am not looking down on one of these employees (including Disney) but if you don't want to be there then go back to school and get a skill or find another job. Income should not depend on how they treat a customer. As a small business owner I have a customer service rep/receptionist who is the lowest on the pay scale in my office and I expect her to treat a customer the same way any of my agents, office manager, or myself treat a customer.

An excellent example of this would be a Chick Fil-A Restaurant; I have never been to one where they do not great you with a pleasant greeting, thank you, and even have someone walking around the dining room to assist customers. The reason for this is because it is what is expected from their employees, anything less is not acceptable nor tolerated.
Overall, I don't have many complaints about WDW castmembers (most are excellent), but for me it doesn't matter whether they make minimum wage or $30 an hour I expect them to have a positive attitude. If they don't want to be courteous then they can go somewhere else and work that does not require contact with the public. Just my worthless two cents.
Excellent post. Speaking of Chic Fil-A, their customer service is bar-none! It's just not average service, it's above average service. They always have a smile, always, ALWAYS pleasant, will deliver to your food at your table (with a smile). They always say thank you, yes ma'am, no sir, etc. etc. I love going to that place. Now with that said, why can't Disney do the same?

Brunette
Register to remove

Old 07-27-2011, 01:13 PM   #2733
PeterPan09
bury my iPod with me, on shuffle, with headphones in my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4prez View Post
I'm sorry, I don't think a persons wage should have anything to do with how they treat a customer. When I go to a McDonalds a Target (will not step foot in a Walmart), or anywhere else I expect to be treated properly. I am not looking down on one of these employees (including Disney) but if you don't want to be there then go back to school and get a skill or find another job. Income should not depend on how they treat a customer. As a small business owner I have a customer service rep/receptionist who is the lowest on the pay scale in my office and I expect her to treat a customer the same way any of my agents, office manager, or myself treat a customer.

An excellent example of this would be a Chick Fil-A Restaurant; I have never been to one where they do not great you with a pleasant greeting, thank you, and even have someone walking around the dining room to assist customers. The reason for this is because it is what is expected from their employees, anything less is not acceptable nor tolerated.

Overall, I don't have many complaints about WDW castmembers (most are excellent), but for me it doesn't matter whether they make minimum wage or $30 an hour I expect them to have a positive attitude. If they don't want to be courteous then they can go somewhere else and work that does not require contact with the public. Just my worthless two cents.
I agree that it shouldn't matter what you're making-but the reality is for many people it does. Salary is the way the company shows you if they value you or not. If you don't feel valued by your company that can have an effect on your performance over time.

As for Disney's salaries-it's no secret that they are among the lowest in Florida. Those Chick fil A folks make more than many of the CM's you encounter on a trip. However, many of us chose to work there anyway because we love Disney and want to share that with the guests that visit. I also feel that if you don't love it enough to deal with the low salary then you need to move on.

I know that there are plenty of us who are still trying to keep that Disney ideal, but even the best of us have our moments when it all becomes overwhelming. I've seen CM's struggle to remain calm as a guest screams profanities at them, threatens their job or just plain orders them around like a slave. It may be one guest out of the many you deal with all week, but just like the one less than magical CM sticks in the memory of a guest-the one nasty guest sticks too. It isn't always easy to bounce right back.

I don't know if there is more of that guest behavior now than there was back when I was visiting in the 70's-80's-90's. My instinct says that there are-simply because the world has changed and people in general seem more entitled and demanding everywhere.

There are a huge number of reasons why things have changed at Disney-some are Disney's "fault" and some are the guest's "fault" and some are nobody's "fault". I think that there will have to be a lot of changes before we see the glory days return.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:29 PM   #2734
#1PoohBearFan
Mouseketeer

I may be crazy (okay, I'm crazy, but in a good way!), but I think WDW gets more magical every time I go back. And, if people want to complain, they can complain. It doesn't affect me.

No ticker
FW-Mar98(wasn't born yet)FW-Dec00Hilton-Sep02WL-Oct03Hilton-Aug/Sep04BC-Aug/Sep05CSR-Nov06Hilton-Aug07ASSports-Aug08POR-May09Hilton-Aug10POP-Nov10Hilton+WL-Aug11CBR-Jan12ASMu-Mar12POP-Jun12POFQ-Dec12
I LOVE Pooh Bear!<3
Old 07-27-2011, 02:53 PM   #2735
kparc
DIS Veteran

Do You think DISNEY has gone down hlll the last few years?

Yes.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:35 PM   #2736
Hook's Girl
Mouseketeer

No.

I know for a fact that I've busted my rear to make that place magical for over five years. Many many quality Cast Members are doing the same. It can't have gone downhill since I'm making it a better place!
Old 07-27-2011, 10:11 PM   #2737
DonnaBoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook's Girl View Post
No.
I know for a fact that I've busted my rear to make that place magical for over five years. Many many quality Cast Members are doing the same. It can't have gone downhill since I'm making it a better place!
Thank you for working hard to make it a great place. Like I said in an earlier posting Disney is my happy place and an escape from my reality. It's people like you, who work your tails off, that make it the magical place it is for me and my dh. We appreciate you and the other Cast Members for your hard work.

Disney Trip#1 2006 Disney Wedding Disneymoon Dec2008 Halloween1 Sept2009 Halloween2 Sept2011 Halloween3/Universal Studios Sept2012
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO. what a ride!
Old 07-28-2011, 05:57 AM   #2738
roydavid7771
DIS Veteran

Smile

Quote:

No.

Couldn't agree with you more! I've seen enough loud, obnoxious fools ripping into cast members during my visits, and each and every time I am amazed at how well you folks handle complaints and concerns. I sometimes wonder what kind of example some of these people set for their kids when they like spoiled brats when something doesn't go their way....

Anyway, thanks again for making all of us smile every time we head down!
Old 07-28-2011, 06:12 AM   #2739
kellyg403
She changes friends like she changes underwear
NEVER GO INTO THE BOWELS OF HELL aka teenager bedroom WITHOUT TURNING ON THE LIGHTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by roydavid7771 View Post
Couldn't agree with you more! I've seen enough loud, obnoxious fools ripping into cast members during my visits, and each and every time I am amazed at how well you folks handle complaints and concerns. I sometimes wonder what kind of example some of these people set for their kids when they like spoiled brats when something doesn't go their way....

Anyway, thanks again for making all of us smile every time we head down!
I will agree, I have seen some people rip a new one on castmembers, and the cm has been patient and tolerant. I would have had a few choice words. The oddest things to complain about. So, not CM who have changed so much as the general, entitlement seeking public. Its almost like no one has manners anymore. We actually watched a woman change a diaper on the baby and leave the stinky mess under the table she was sitting and eating at in Epcot. The trashcan not 2 feet behind her. So, how are the CM's even supposed to keep up with that type of guest. And there are more and more of them.

I don't think overall Disney has gone down hill. I do wonder though if budget cuts have caused them to reduce the numbers of CM's throughout the parks. Now, even though the resorts are getting refurbished, some of those rooms are in bad shape. At our stay in CBR last time, we had a gigantic hole in the sheets. There was no way the mousekeeper didn't see that! We had to take it off the bed because ds kept getting tangled up in it. So, I would agree the rooms in the resorts are leaving a bit to be desired. The grounds still are looking well IMHO but the rooms could be better.

Kelly
Old 07-28-2011, 08:33 AM   #2740
Tiger926
DIS Veteran

Quote:

No.

Thanks for all that you do for making our trips magical!

Tiger
Old 07-28-2011, 10:00 AM   #2741
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

Quote:

No.

In spite of what we see as lacking nowadays, the CM's help to keep us coming back. I couldn't do what you guys do in a million years.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:01 AM   #2742
brunette8706
DIS Veteran

Quote:

No.

I agree with the others. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ALL YOU DO! We know your job is far from easy! You're the reason we keep coming back!

Last edited by brunette8706; 07-28-2011 at 12:17 PM.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:51 AM   #2743
rie'smom
"Always let your conscience be your guide."
I cannot look at my hamburger after I've taken a bite
Toilet paper must come over the top!

Quote:

No.

Thanks for working so hard! If all of the CMs had your attitude, it would make the little glitches on Disney trips easier to handle. Most CMs are fantastic. It's the ones with a bad outlook that can dampen a vacation.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:10 AM   #2744
stimmons
Mouseketeer

Die, thread, die!

I'm so tired of seeing this thread and it's misspelled title!!!!

COMPLETED TR: WDW Veterans and the Trip of Firsts! There's a First Time For Everything.

Past WDW Trips: Multiple During Childhood, Stayed Offsite/2006, Stayed Offsite/2007, POP/2010, Daytrip/2010, BLT/2012, CS/2013
Old 07-28-2011, 12:08 PM   #2745
flicx
Please stand clear of the doors!

The disney execs themselves could easily hault this threadby just addressing alot of the concerns listed in the thread! I also say thank you to the cast member on this thread you do a tough job with what sounds like little compensation.I personally think the problems lie way above you in the higher ups!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: