Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 02:50 PM   #226
disneyfan55
DIS Veteran

Yes in earlier years you had to be a Magic Kingdom Club member to get discounts. AP (not sure about FL res since I'm not one) also received discounts on rooms and we did make receive them in the early 90s through now. They, back then were really just applied when booking, no codes etc. I don't recall codes that much until the onset of the internet, actually probably late 90s. Now, as you said many rooms/people qualify for the discounts. I'm not saying everyone shouldn't get them, but back years ago you had to be a member of something to receive them. I even recall American Express holders receiving a room discount (before Disney Visa )
Old 08-10-2010, 02:54 PM   #227
bicker
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfan55 View Post
Yes in earlier years you had to be a Magic Kingdom Club member to get discounts. AP (not sure about FL res since I'm not one) also received discounts on rooms and we did make receive them in the early 90s through now.
Yes it is true that both of these things are better now than in the past, with everyone having a chance for room discounts. That's just one example, though. I still think that we tend to overlook the good in the present and overlook the bad in the past.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-10-2010, 02:54 PM   #228
disneyfan55
DIS Veteran

Where did you see the 80s writings? Just wondering.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:56 PM   #229
bicker
DIS Veteran

net.disney on USENET
Old 08-10-2010, 03:08 PM   #230
disneyfan55
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker View Post
net.disney on USENET
Thought you were talking about items written in the 80s not about them. My comparisons start from the 70s. Yes the parks were much cleaner and well kept. There are good things that have been added today but mostly just for profit. We had great times back before the parties and just stores on Main St. We really don't visit them much except to cut through when the street is too crowded or very hot out. I guess my problem wasn't with cost, it's the total Disney feeling (plus decreased cleanliness, upkeep, quality of food and CM indifference) that seems to have decreased over the years. WDW is really nice, we used to have that can't wait to be back feeling when leaving now not so much. ( our visit in Feb at WL left me with a lot to be desired feeling - the rooms were really not clean-nuts on the floor and drawers in one of the rooms, we never got a crib in one of the rooms, and just lack of the staff being welcoming etc. ) By the way I really love the WL but for the cost even with the discounts, I won't be returning anytime soon. We are going back the week after thanksgiving since we did by APs but just not all the looking forward to it like in years gone past. Sour taste in the mouth. We did eat a 2 signature restaurants and the quality was just not there. I really have just a good of food quality in much lesser costing establishments. and the service was just ok (maybe it had to do with the servers knowing from the start that we had TIW-not the next trip. I will give the card upon the end of the meal.)
Old 08-10-2010, 03:14 PM   #231
PeterPan09
bury my iPod with me, on shuffle, with headphones in my ears

Quote:
I think what the OP was addressing is the fact that back in earlier days (from my experience 1976) things at WDW were much cleaner, well kept and the the CMs were much more caring . It was a much more simple time.. There were no parties in the MK, Main street had a Magic Shop, Movie Theatre, Penny Arcade, and the flower cart side street. I feel now Main Street is a street of Disney things to buy. All Disney merchandise and the quaintness is somehow gone. I feel that over the years gradually the quality of food, service and cleanliness has degraded. Also, Disney has capitalized on the holidays. Back in 1982 we were at WDW for Halloween. No parties, just WDW. I know companies are in business to make money but now it just seems that that is all it's about. I'm not knocking it, just making an honest statement on how WDW has changed over the years.
I haven't read through all this thread so I apologize if this point has already been discussed-but the guests have changed too. I've talked to CM's who have been on the job for 10 years or more and they all say that guests are now far more entitled, demanding and just plain easily angered then they used to be. That's certainly not just something we see at Disney, it's all over the place. Did anyone see that news story today about the woman who went crazy because the poor McDonald's employee didn't give her the McNuggets fast enough?? She smashed the window of the drive through! For a lousy order of McNuggets!!

Sure, Disney has done what other businesses have done and cut costs and yes, that can have an unfortunate effect on the guest experience. However, I really do think it's a two way street. The guests are also responsible for some of what has "gone downhill".
Old 08-10-2010, 03:18 PM   #232
Snape
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPan09 View Post
I haven't read through all this thread so I apologize if this point has already been discussed-but the guests have changed too. I've talked to CM's who have been on the job for 10 years or more and they all say that guests are now far more entitled, demanding and just plain easily angered then they used to be. That's certainly not just something we see at Disney, it's all over the place. Did anyone see that news story today about the woman who went crazy because the poor McDonald's employee didn't give her the McNuggets fast enough?? She smashed the window of the drive through! For a lousy order of McNuggets!!

Sure, Disney has done what other businesses have done and cut costs and yes, that can have an unfortunate effect on the guest experience. However, I really do think it's a two way street. The guests are also responsible for some of what has "gone downhill".

That woman was very unhappy they wouldn't fry her up some nuggets. She was also a crazy person.

I agree with you. A lot of people have gotten very impatient and generally you have to be patient to be in Disney for 7 days waiting in lines, in the heat, with rude people stepping in front of you during parades, etc... People are also stressed out with work more than normal due to the recession.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:20 PM   #233
ZeroMyHero
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Disney View Post
So how are we as consumers going to get Disney(short of a boycot)to realize(not that they don't)that more and more people are getting less satisfied with "The Magic"? I still think WDW is a great place for our family to vacation,but only because my children are still pretty young,and really love it there-me too for that matter.What can we do?
Take your vacation dollars elsewhere. For a business to really change, its bottom line has to be affected. What I've noticed here is that while a lot of people complain about the decline in customer service, ride offerings, and the quality of dining, they're still happily visiting the Disney parks, some every single year. The only way Disney will change is if a large number of people decide to put their money where their mouth is and simply go somewhere else on vacation. When Mickey only has lint to line his pockets, he'll think about why that is and make changes. JMO.
Coronado Springs May '08
Port Orleans Riverside April '13
Port Orleans Riverside 2015
Old 08-10-2010, 03:24 PM   #234
Snape
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroMyHero View Post
Take your vacation dollars elsewhere. For a business to really change, its bottom line has to be affected. What I've noticed here is that while a lot of people complain about the decline in customer service, ride offerings, and the quality of dining, they're still happily visiting the Disney parks, some every single year. The only way Disney will change is if a large number of people decide to put their money where their mouth is and simply go somewhere else on vacation. When Mickey only has lint to line his pockets, he'll think about why that is and make changes. JMO.
This is what we've done. While we still buy park tickets, we stay offsite and refuse to give Disney the money until they fix some of the things that have drastically slipped.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:33 PM   #235
bicker
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thought you were talking about items written in the 80s
I was. net.disney was gone by the end of the 1980s. It was replaced by rec.arts.disney (which was subsequently replaced by rec.arts.disney.parks in the mid-1990s).

I hope that clears that up for you.

Quote:
My comparisons start from the 70s.
And they are your own, and so we have some people who see advancement and some people who see despoilment, as we always have seen. That was my point.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:37 PM   #236
DOOM1001
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snape View Post
This is what we've done. While we still buy park tickets, we stay offsite and refuse to give Disney the money until they fix some of the things that have drastically slipped.
I have AP's to Disney and all the Florida parks but rarely stay in the Disney hotels,like once a year out of 7-10 trips.When you can get a very good hotel many with free breakfast like a Hyatt Place,Springfield Suites,the new Hilton on I-Drive and the Rosen hotels,etc.. for $35-$60 why would I pay $80+ for the All-Stars.I last stayed at the Caribbean Beach last year and I just kept thinking that while it was nice it wasn't worth the difference in price,if I didn't have my own transportation then yeah,it's worth staying at Disney if you fly in and take the ME service so you are saving on car rental as well,that is a big deal,but if you're driving yourself,I'm good staying off-site most of my trips.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:41 PM   #237
Snape
Mouseketeer

Does anyone remember what Main Street looked like in the late 80's? It certainly isn't the same. As a matter of fact, are there any stores on Main street which sell unique items anymore? It's now all the same "crap" with different store names.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:44 PM   #238
bicker
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I haven't read through all this thread so I apologize if this point has already been discussed-but the guests have changed too. I've talked to CM's who have been on the job for 10 years or more and they all say that guests are now far more entitled, demanding and just plain easily angered then they used to be.
And indeed even beyond that ...

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2529962

Quote:
Absolutely.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:46 PM   #239
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

I'm betting that with the current management, if people stop going to Disney parks and resorts, all they will do is cut more corners.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:04 PM   #240
snowy76
I do a panic dance
OMG I looooved my K Tel records!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planogirl View Post
One thing - you can't really blame Disney for the rude tour groups. People are in general getting more self-centered all the time with some groups being worse than other.
Agree with Planogirl here. Maybe we're noticing less magical CM behavior in response to guests who increasingly treat them badly?

Plus, I have to say for a fact that the rude Brazilian groups were there 20 years ago (I distinctly remember my dad, who was born in Brazil, having choice words for some of the kids once)... so nothing has changed much there!

CR 12/82 ... CR 12/84 ... Offsite 7/89 ... Swan 8/03 ... AKL 6/04 ... BWV 6/05 ... POP 10/08 ... DTD Hilton 10/09 ... Offsite 8/11 ... DLR 7/12 ... DLR 8/13
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: