Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 08:17 PM   #211
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

It's interesting how differently we all see things. I think that the changes are due to a combination of factors including the recession, budget cuts in general and people overall changing.

There is another factor and that is jobs as bicker mentioned. Some analysts say that jobs will never recover to what they once were and our society will become more and more service oriented. The trouble with that is that service jobs tend to pay less which of course will lead to less people able to spend the big bucks on things such as themepark vacations. It seems to be a vicious cycle.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:49 PM   #212
knewton64
If it is "5 o'clock somewhere," does that mean it can be 5 o'clock anywhere and all the time?

Unhappy OK.....here's one -

....I was a 1st time visitor into Disneyland / DCA late March to early April 2010 as part of an Adventures by Disney group tour.

My first impressions of DL & DCA:

1)Poor customer service from the CM's.....

2)"Soup Nazi" attitude from the CM's at the Grand California Hotel.

3) Being treated like cattle while out touring DL and DCA....

and to top it off, one of the ABD Guides had to read (while we were out on tour) from a clip board - her notes to the group!

When called out on this, Craig Hodges' (CEO of ABD) response was anthing less than professional.

All of this was even kicked up to Robert's office (CEO of Disney Corp)
with a ho hum response.

I even took down my trip report ("IF I WERE A FRAGGLE...") I was that upset over this.

**1st time visitor and last time visitor to Disneyland.**

P.S. Thank you all for allowing me to vent in a positive way. There is more to this but this is a quick subnosis of why I feel the Disney Corporation is not where it should be as this upcoming trip to WDW (OCt 2010) will be my last.
My "IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE N KEY WEST, COZUMEL & G CAYMAN DCL TRIP REPORT; JAN'12 (w/pics & video)http://www.disboards.com/showthread....3&referrerid=0
MY "ADVENTURES N NEW YORK CITY" TRIP REPORT; SEPT '12 (w/pics & video)http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1&referrerid=0
MY "ADVENTURES N SAN FRAN, ROSE BOWL, ROSE BOWL PARADE & COASTAL CALIFORNIA" TRIP REPORT (w/pics & video)- DEC '13
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7&referrerid=0
MY "ADVENTURES N ENGLAND, SCOTLAND & WALES" TRIP REPORT - August '14 (w/pics & video)
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....errerid=208040
MY "ADVENTURES N DISNEYLAND, CATALINA ISLAND & OTHER ASSORTED SO CAL STUFF" PRE-TRIPPY REPORT; CHRISTMAS / NYE 2014
MY "ADVENTURES N WALT DISNEY WORLD & NASSAU BAHAMAS OVeR CHRISTMAS /NYE 2015" PRE-TRIPPY REPORT

Last edited by knewton64; 08-09-2010 at 10:20 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-09-2010, 09:00 PM   #213
rie'smom
"Always let your conscience be your guide."
I cannot look at my hamburger after I've taken a bite
Toilet paper must come over the top!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art 1 View Post
I do not. Universal however seems to be run by a bunch of teenagers.
If Universal is run by teenagers, they're very intelligent. You usually hear about teens only caring about themselves but I have to say they look out for me and m family! Their resorts put Disney's resorts in the toilet. Hey, maybe teenagers should start running Disney
Old 08-09-2010, 09:11 PM   #214
dburg30
Ferb, I know what we're going to do today! Yes, I'm a middle aged guy that loves Disney

To the person that wants light rail.. Good God, could you imagine the cost for that? PLUS you still have a track that the trains cant really divert in case of an issue. I mean, look at the monorail line, if something happens it all stops.. The buses can make a left turn at the next light if something is happening at their 'normal' turn. Trains cant. Why in the heck would you want to tie your hands like that? No, sorry, buses make perfect sense for what they are trying to do. And the scheduling and the stops and the crossovers and the built in safety trying to criss cross the property.. No thanks. The chances that you could take a train right from one resort to a park doesnt seem to make sense to me. What a cluster that would be IMO...
Old 08-09-2010, 11:23 PM   #215
glassslippergirl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohj80 View Post
I wouldn't use "downhill" either, but how about not as good as Disney has gotten us used to? ... We have also experience more less-than- Disney-like cast members on recent trips (but they are still far outnumbered by the magical Cast Members!).

Maybe Disney has spoiled us in the past and when they start making changes to adjust to the masses, we feel less spoiled, but that doesn't keep us from going back as we still believe in Disney Magic!
I am new to this forum but have been on some other Disney forums where is seems sacreligious to say anything negative about the Mouse. I am pleased to find that this is a serious discussion topic here.

My husband and I have been annual passholders for a little over a year, but as a Floridian, I have gone to Disney at least once a year since the late-seventies. With the passes, we now go about once a month and enjoy ourselves every time. But customer service is lacking. Not bad-- just not as good as it used to be, like Pooh said above. I recently spoke to a cast member who has been working at WDW since opening day. His position was that Disney is hiring more and more part-timers to save on benefits. It's detrimental because the investment in training is just not there. I could not agree more.

One example happened back in May. I was waiting in line for a Star Wars weekend show in Hollywood Studios. My grandmother, in a wheelchair, was with me. A cast member decided that she did not like the way the line was snaking, and, after mumbling a few incoherent instructions that no one around us understood, she made our section of the line move about five feet to the right. The only way for me to accomplish this in the crowd was to move my grandmother's wheelchair sideways. You try moving an adult sideways-- not forward or back-- in a wheelchair-- not an easy task. But the cast member did not seem to care. I even asked her, "Was this really necessary?" She just blinked and walked away. I could not imagine such lack of customer sevice a few years ago, but when I wrote to Disney about it, I just got a cursory "we're sorry" response.

Many have commented on the dining also. We've found it to be hit and miss. Unless there is some perk to dining in the resort-- like the priority seating in the Candlelight Processional package-- we usually just leave the property to eat. It saves us some money which we can use to add an extra day to our trip or to do something special.

Despite the occasional customer service problems, I still generally feel that Disney, the company and its employees, wants me to have a great, memorable time. Their attention to detail makes the trips enjoyable overall, and we still get excited about each, upcoming trip. That said, I would not be upset if Mickey took a look at the state of his house and decided to do a little "home improvement."
Old 08-10-2010, 12:25 AM   #216
DOOM1001
DIS Veteran

I haven't read the whole thread so I don't know what most people's opinions are,but I have to agree with the OP that Disney is getting away with a lot of things because they've simply been able to,people simply keep coming and coming.This is why I seriously have been hoping Potter at Universal does somewhat bring them down to earth.$30 daily strollers(even if it's an outside vendor they can't allow these prices),yearly price increases,reducing the concerts to weekends only at the F&G festival,taking away the lights of winter,reducing the quality and quantity of foods in restaurants,lack of new attractions and old attractions that are old and stale and need to be removed,the list can go on and on.Prices keep rising but many things stay the same or don't improve and others simply get worse.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:34 AM   #217
bicker
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Disney View Post
Have you seen MY "Golden Parachute"??
Non-sequitur.

It is very important to see the world from the standpoint that includes the fact that other people live within it. The focus solely on how things affects one own's self blinds us to the broader reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOM1001 View Post
... Disney is getting away with a lot of things because they've simply been able to,people simply keep coming and coming.
The same is often said of practically every mass-market, consumer-facing product and service provider. This is a reflection of how consumer expectations have become completely detached from what is explicitly promised, and how consumer perceptions of the marketplace have become completely detached from realistic and comprehensive understanding of the business environment.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:32 PM   #218
Don Disney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker View Post
Non-sequitur.

It is very important to see the world from the standpoint that includes the fact that other people live within it. The focus solely on how things affects one own's self blinds us to the broader reality.

The same is often said of practically every mass-market, consumer-facing product and service provider. This is a reflection of how consumer expectations have become completely detached from what is explicitly promised, and how consumer perceptions of the marketplace have become completely detached from realistic and comprehensive understanding of the business environment.
Big,fancy words don't change the fact that greed is rampant in Corporate,and Private sector businesses-All I was saying was that Disney is not immune.Working in healthcare(direct patient care),makes me focus on a much broader reality than I personally would like to-life and death on a daily basis.Anyhoo,thank you for your never ending wealth of information.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:42 PM   #219
bicker
DIS Veteran

Greed is much more common among consumers. Exploitation, abuse, violating terms and conditions, deceiving customer service agents to exact compensation or considerations, etc. The difference is that large companies generally don't engage in such greedy behavior, because they have a lot to lose from such conduct being exposed, while consumers don't have such concerns.

I do agree that Disney is not much different from any other large, multi-national service provider in their industry.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:53 PM   #220
Don Disney
DIS Veteran

So how are we as consumers going to get Disney(short of a boycot)to realize(not that they don't)that more and more people are getting less satisfied with "The Magic"? I still think WDW is a great place for our family to vacation,but only because my children are still pretty young,and really love it there-me too for that matter.What can we do?
Old 08-10-2010, 02:56 PM   #221
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker View Post
Greed is much more common among consumers. Exploitation, abuse, violating terms and conditions, deceiving customer service agents to exact compensation or considerations, etc. The difference is that large companies generally don't engage in such greedy behavior, because they have a lot to lose from such conduct being exposed, while consumers don't have such concerns.

I do agree that Disney is not much different from any other large, multi-national service provider in their industry.
What ever you want to call it, greed or not investing in the business, apparently 3/4 of a billion dollars profit every quarter isn't enough for Disney. They continue to make cuts and changes that negatively affects the Disney that we had all loved for so many years.

Putting finance people in key corporate positions will change a company every time.

They need some dreamers to balance out the bean counters. Walt and Roy had their problems but they balanced each other out and built a business that people from all over the world fell in love with and that other companies admired.

Bill

Old 08-10-2010, 03:02 PM   #222
bicker
DIS Veteran

Actually, arguments can be made that Walt Disney's idealism carried-forward almost ended up in the Disney Company's financial collapse, and that Michael Eisner's financial wizardry is the only reason why we still have a Disney Company, instead of there being a Six Flags Disney World in Orlando. :=)

There actually doesn't "need" to be anything other than how it is. It has been pretty-much the way it is now for decades, and it has worked just fine the way it is. Every so often, another set of people get disenchanted and it seems to them that they're the first ones, but its just the same-ol'-same-ol'. Yet, there are new fans every year, new families discover WDW to be the best place to visit, for them. Just like it has worked for decades.

As it is, the Disney Company is doing okay, but not so much better than other companies in its industry that would provide any foundation for insinuating that they are doing anything unusual or inappropriate with regard to profit-generation.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:13 PM   #223
disneyfan55
DIS Veteran

I think what the OP was addressing is the fact that back in earlier days (from my experience 1976) things at WDW were much cleaner, well kept and the the CMs were much more caring . It was a much more simple time.. There were no parties in the MK, Main street had a Magic Shop, Movie Theatre, Penny Arcade, and the flower cart side street. I feel now Main Street is a street of Disney things to buy. All Disney merchandise and the quaintness is somehow gone. I feel that over the years gradually the quality of food, service and cleanliness has degraded. Also, Disney has capitalized on the holidays. Back in 1982 we were at WDW for Halloween. No parties, just WDW. I know companies are in business to make money but now it just seems that that is all it's about. I'm not knocking it, just making an honest statement on how WDW has changed over the years.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:26 PM   #224
NYDisGuy
DIS Veteran

It goes back to the same dead horse. 10 years ago it was unheard of to get a 40% off rack rate discount or free dining at Disney. Once they offered that, it was natural that quality would decrease to make up for the quantity of people that would be attending the parks. In order to maximize profit, they then decided to add more shops and dining options while refurbing some of the exsting ride and attractions. If people still buy food and merchandise, they will continue to maximize their profits until their is a loss. Then they will add some back. But it will NEVER be the way it was 15-20 years ago unless Walt comes back to life and becomes a consultant. Even then, his shares were spread out amongst his survivors so he would have little say in the decision making process.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:47 PM   #225
bicker
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfan55 View Post
I think what the OP was addressing is the fact that back in earlier days ...
I don't think there was any confusion about what the OP was asserting. One question, though, is whether folks are remembering all the bad things from earlier days as well as the good things, and whether folks are factoring-in all of the good things from now as well as the bad things. Another question involves how some changes some people would consider improvements while other people would consider those same things degradations. I was kind of brief in my earlier message, but what I was getting at there was the fact that I remember having exactly the same discussion - for all I remember, perhaps with the same exact title - at least a half-dozen times spread over the period from the mid-1980s to the current day. It seems that WDW has always better in the past, even on opening day.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: