Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 10:12 AM   #196
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker View Post
In another thread, folks are essentially bashing each other up in a Horizons versus Mission:Space throw-down. A rather significant number of people are indeed saying that Horizons was boring, and that Mission:Space is the best attraction that was ever there at Epcot. Whether you feel one attraction or the other is better is actually irrelevant: What's important to understand, in the context of this thread, from what's going on in that thread, is that Disney has to appeal to many different guests, and that not every guest wants the same things. To expect that everything at WDW will be driven toward appealing to one's own personal preferences is unreasonable.
I agree - arguing over which attraction is better is like arguing over whether blue is a nicer color than red. There is no right answer.

However, one would hope that in Disney's attempt to appeal to as many people as possible that they would try to appeal to most. I suspect that more would prefer Mission:Space as much as I hate to admit it.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:21 AM   #197
bicker
DIS Veteran

I'm not even sure that appealing to more people is the whole story. In addition, they really need to attract the most people. So attractions that are excuse-robbers are very valuable. While many people will put Epcot in the YES column just on the strength of the sounds, smells, tastes and sights of the countries, and many people will put Epcot in the YES column just on the strength of the entertaining-but-somewhat sedate experiences offered by Spaceship Earth, Journey into Imagination, Universe of Energy, and even Soarin'; it takes thrill rides like Test Track and Mission:Space to fill-in a big gap in Epcot's dossier. An attraction need not necessarily be appealing to most people; it can be worthwhile just because it gets the park "over the hump", by removing the reason some families may have to skip Epcot overall.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-09-2010, 10:44 AM   #198
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

This adds merit to those that argue that WDW needs more thrill rides. I don't see anything at Epcot as particularly thrilling and I would bet that to some the rides are a snooze fest. I think that big thrill rides could change the overall atmosphere at Epcot though and they may not want to go there.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:08 PM   #199
bicker
DIS Veteran

I guess what I was saying before, though, was that the question is "How far do they need to go?" I don't think it is black-and-white: They can go all the way as you suggest, i.e., put some more thrill rides so the park attracts thrill-ride enthusiasts. However, they may only need to just address the nullification factor, i.e., the resistance folks who like thrill rides exert on their families, with regard to not visiting Epcot at all. What I was trying to say was that maybe they can overcome that nullification factor with just a couple of thrill rides, no more thrilling than M:S and TT. KWIM?
Old 08-09-2010, 12:51 PM   #200
flicx
Please stand clear of the doors!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSnell1981 View Post
I definitely remember the days...the park never looked worn, the droopy flowers were replaced and the CM's ALWAYS wished us a "magical day"! Of course, the food was tasty, reasonably priced and pretty unique...especially in the World Showcase.

We've watched the increases and other negative changes over the years...and they're disappointing. At some point, you'd think it WOULD be enough, but too much greed and not enough caring seems to be the norm. I hope they get a grip before they pass the point of no return.
Very well put.I think alot of the people who have gone to disney for alot of years definitely notice alot of what you are referring to.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:07 PM   #201
disneyphilip
DIS Veteran

While I do agree that some disappointing things have happened at WDW within the last few years (such as the reduction of holiday season offerings like the Country Bear Xmas Show and Lights of Winter, a decrease in the variety of characters walking around the parks, etc.), I don't think that things are going "downhill" necessarily. For one thing, they still continue to invest in new projects/endeavors (Summer Nightastic, the Fantasyland expansion, Star Tours II, etc.).

We certainly are living in the middle of a huge economic recession right now (the worst economic disaster to occur in our country since the Great Depression of the 1930's) and, hopefully, a lot of what's been cut back will eventually be restored or brought back when the economy REALLY starts to rebound.

As for anything that was cut-back in the few years prior to the fall of 2008 (when the economy officially went south), it's very possible that the folks in the finances departments were most likely worried that the economy was in trouble and decided to be more proactive, rather than reactive, to try to protect the company from running in to too much money trouble.

Remeber: Disney is not a non-profit or charity organization. They're still a business and always have been and concerns over money and profits need to be just as big a priority as concerns for guest satisfaction. They're doing the best they can to please both sides, but in this economy, it's only been getting more and more difficult.

Let's pray that the economy heals a lot quicker than it did during the 30's, so we can start getting certain things back.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:17 PM   #202
bicker
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyphilip View Post
We certainly are living in the middle of a huge economic recession right now (the worst economic disaster to occur in our country since the Great Depression of the 1930's) and, hopefully, a lot of what's been cut back will eventually be restored or brought back when the economy REALLY starts to rebound.
It's more than just a deep recession, because we're actually already in recovery. The issue is, though, that every recovery for the last thirty years or so has been a jobless recovery - economy activity resumes and we experience economic growth, but employment income doesn't recover. Essentially what is happening is that the economy is recovering by operating more efficiently, and in turn this means we're essentially pulling out of recession by trading-in some standard-of-living and superior quality and service. This isn't a Disney phenomenon; it's utterly generic, applicable to basically everything.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:24 PM   #203
TLSnell1981

Sense isn't very common anymore
I can't wait for T shirts and cover ups

These changes aren't just due to the recession. They've been happening for quite a while. Quality isn't as important as quantity....

Last edited by TLSnell1981; 08-09-2010 at 06:54 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:45 PM   #204
jimmymac
Mouseketeer

Boy, some serious Kool Aid drinkers here
Old 08-09-2010, 02:02 PM   #205
disneyphilip
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSnell1981 View Post
These changes aren't just due to the recession. They've been happening for quite a while.
As I said before, they were probably worried that the economy was on the verge of falling into a recession and had to take proactive action.

Quote:
Quality isn't as important to quantity....
Yes, it is. Always has been and always will be.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:17 PM   #206
NYDisGuy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snape View Post
I've learned something new on the Disboards - only poor people ride public busses/transportation.
Not to defend him/her but the quoted poster said in their area.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:22 PM   #207
Don Disney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker View Post
Can you say employees hoping to retire someday and live off of 401(k)s? Folks regularly forget how they themselves benefit from the economy as it is, and how that they would be personally adversely affected if the economy were to turn into what they suggest it should be like. However, the real question here is whether we really want this thread taken off onto this inflammatory tangent you've started us down? Personally, I'd rather we avoid that, and just say that it is a shame that not everyone gets what they want, all the time.
Have you seen MY "Golden Parachute"??
Old 08-09-2010, 05:49 PM   #208
flicx
Please stand clear of the doors!

Quote:

As for anything that was cut-back in the few years prior to the fall of 2008 (when the economy officially went south), it's very possible that the folks in the finances departments were most likely worried that the economy was in trouble and decided to be more proactive, rather than reactive, to try to protect the company from running in to too much money trouble.
The most disappointing things that have occuured in my opinion happened long before they knew the economy was in trouble.Ride closures that never reopened(20,00 leagues,body wars).A general slow down in attraction openings and currently over a decade with no new parks.In this same time frame we have seen major price increases,an emphasis on resort and dvc building etc.Now to go along with this less CM's and in some long time disney people's opinion less park maintenance.It seems to many on here disney has put alot more emphasis on a pure profit machine than what they did in the past.Now before anyone says that they are in the business of making money(like we don't know that)alot of us people who have been going from the begining don't like the direction they are currently heading. While I still love the place I just hope they soon make the some adjustments.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:11 PM   #209
TLSnell1981

Sense isn't very common anymore
I can't wait for T shirts and cover ups

Quote:

Yes, it is. Always has been and always will be.
It is important to me, but I don't think Disney cares anymore.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:17 PM   #210
Art 1
DIS Veteran

I do not. Universal however seems to be run by a bunch of teenagers.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: