Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 09:25 PM   #181
tubtruck
Tubtastic

I am starting to think Disney is a big joke!

The best joke I heard today was on the bus to the Animal Kingdom, the bus commentary suggesting that we should try the latest ride in The Animal Kingdom. :- Its called Expedition Everest.
Thought to myself oh it was also the latest ride way back 4 and a half years ago in March 2006.

Disney are becoming rubbish. They only want to milk the present infrastructure and build nothing but dvc resorts. The transport service is a shambles, how about a light railway, anything but busses. Come one Would Walt have wanted busses, the only people where I live who travel on them are poor people, and when was Disney actually interested in them?

Old 08-08-2010, 09:28 PM   #182
flicx
Please stand clear of the doors!

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-08-2010, 10:12 PM   #183
Mickey Gator
WDW Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubtruck View Post

The best joke I heard today was on the bus to the Animal Kingdom, the bus commentary suggesting that we should try the latest ride in The Animal Kingdom. :- Its called Expedition Everest.
Thought to myself oh it was also the latest ride way back 4 and a half years ago in March 2006.

Disney are becoming rubbish. They only want to milk the present infrastructure and build nothing but dvc resorts. The transport service is a shambles, how about a light railway, anything but busses. Come one Would Walt have wanted busses, the only people where I live who travel on them are poor people, and when was Disney actually interested in them?
I will make it easy on you Tubtruck, stay in the UK and leave the Florida sunshime to us Yanks .
Old 08-08-2010, 11:36 PM   #184
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

Quote:

I tend to be critical but I can't say that I agree that WDW is that bad. It's still fun with a lot to do and I certainly wouldn't call it rubbish.

I don't care for buses either but I understand why they use them. Light rail would be enormously expensive and complicated.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:09 AM   #185
TLSnell1981

Sense isn't very common anymore
I can't wait for T shirts and cover ups

I definitely remember the days...the park never looked worn, the droopy flowers were replaced and the CM's ALWAYS wished us a "magical day"! Of course, the food was tasty, reasonably priced and pretty unique...especially in the World Showcase.

We've watched the increases and other negative changes over the years...and they're disappointing. At some point, you'd think it WOULD be enough, but too much greed and not enough caring seems to be the norm. I hope they get a grip before they pass the point of no return.

Last edited by TLSnell1981; 08-09-2010 at 12:21 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:42 AM   #186
bicker
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYCruiseCrazy View Post
It seems like they are more interested in what the shareholders want
They better be. Remember Enron? Disney had better care about doing what's best for their shareholders; they're obligated to do so; it is their fiduciary responsibility.

And Disney's shareholders should have no qualms about taking all actions shareholders can take, up to and including suing company directors personally, should the company routinely place any other considerations, other than safety and security, over what's best for the shareholders.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:49 AM   #187
bicker
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planogirl View Post
I tend to be critical but I can't say that I agree that WDW is that bad. It's still fun with a lot to do and I certainly wouldn't call it rubbish.
In another thread, folks are essentially bashing each other up in a Horizons versus Mission:Space throw-down. A rather significant number of people are indeed saying that Horizons was boring, and that Mission:Space is the best attraction that was ever there at Epcot. Whether you feel one attraction or the other is better is actually irrelevant: What's important to understand, in the context of this thread, from what's going on in that thread, is that Disney has to appeal to many different guests, and that not every guest wants the same things. To expect that everything at WDW will be driven toward appealing to one's own personal preferences is unreasonable.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:19 AM   #188
Snape
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planogirl View Post
I don't care for buses either but I understand why they use them. Light rail would be enormously expensive and complicated.
I agree. We still have a fun time in the parks but we don't stay onsite anymore because the prices Disney charge aren't worth it. Sure, 20 years ago a room at the CR was worth $250 because the service was there and nothing was outsourced. Now the companies Disney hired to perform some of the important jobs like Housekeeping are performing below average at best.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:37 AM   #189
Pirates4me
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Disney are becoming rubbish. They only want to milk the present infrastructure and build nothing but dvc resorts. ?
Looks like you are a DVC member. Did they suck you in?
DIS Dad's Club Member #502

DW ME DD DS

"Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic
But I had a good life all the way" Jimmy Buffett

DVC Member since 2005 Saratoga Springs
Old 08-09-2010, 09:38 AM   #190
Pirates4me
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey Gator View Post
I will make it easy on you Tubtruck, stay in the UK and leave the Florida sunshime to us Yanks .
Right on my fellow sun seeker
DIS Dad's Club Member #502

DW ME DD DS

"Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic
But I had a good life all the way" Jimmy Buffett

DVC Member since 2005 Saratoga Springs
Old 08-09-2010, 09:48 AM   #191
Donut23
Long-Time Disney Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirates4me View Post
Looks like you are a DVC member. Did they suck you in?

It is not my intention to change the 'drama' of this page to a DVC conversation. However, we have also watched the gradual changes at WDW for the last decade. As others have said, it's not enough to keep us away (although our last December trip was spent at DL because DH could not bring himself to look at World Showcase without Lights of Winter)......it's not enough of a change - yet - to keep us away.

Disney is affordable for us because DH is a long-time castmember. If we were waiting for a room discount and actually PAYING for tickets....a Disney trip would be long off our list of yearly choices.

It's all about how much they can cutback and still keep guests arriving and the $$$ flowing. Each of us have a that breaking point.

Most of us LOVE/ADORE/CHERISH our Disney trips but most of the ticket sales are those infrequent guests (who probably don't know how to work the system like we do). Disney LOVES them because they pay more and don't notice the changes.

One of the reasons we have not considered DVC is.....we are worried that eventually Disney WILL cutback enough where we will say....enough! We have already said it once about WDW last year.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:54 AM   #192
Don Disney
DIS Veteran

Quote:

It's a good thing that there are busses for the"poor" people,although,where we live,sometimes it is BETTER to take the bus,so you don't have to worry about dealing with tolls,or some of the"less than considerate"drivers acting like idiots on the road!! AND-How in the heck are those"poor" people going to get to WORK? As far as DVC'S(timeshares),I think that it is quite ridiculous to pay for something that you can't own...time! Disney,just like everything else is subject to the times we live in-such a shame greed is the norm in the Corporate,and Private sector for a lot of businesses-Can you say Wall Street Bankers? Truly a shame that it seems like good old-fashioned values like quality,fair pricing,and decent wages for a job well done does'nt seem to matter to a lot folks in charge these days.It's all about the money.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:01 AM   #193
Donut23
Long-Time Disney Fan

Ok, I had a second thought I wanted to bring up.....

Disneyland

A few years before the 50th anniversary our beloved DL was VERY shabby. If you traveled there a year before the 50th, there was a TREMENDOUS number of attractions closed down - bringing the park back in shape. Ok....not a complaint, however. I will always we happy that they renovated SM sooooooooooo well!

50th anniversary arrived and DL sparkled.

I finally dragged (kicking and screaming) DH to DL a few years ago. He FELL in love with it and we also noticed how clean it was. Castmember were soooo friendly - it seemed so much better run than WDW....especially because the "decline" we are talking about was already apparent at WDW.

Fast forward to the last 2 years (recession years). We all know WDW park attendance is down. Did you know that DL attendance is UP....12%!! Yes, there are many reasons for it - good marketing to locals and MILLIONS of people live within an easy drive of DL.

Anyway, they are fixing the problems with CA (yes, it was not well planned originally). World of Color is a success beyond even the best guesses of the Disney Grownups. (They now are planning 3 shows a night and lines for the fastpass machines are clogging the walkways in CA. They have also added a great perk for resort guests....30 EMH each day for resort guests....so they can be first in line for WOC fast passes).

Anyway....Burbank is spending the $$$$$ on DL and it is making GREAT $$$ for everyone out there.

A DL trip is now part of each year's travel discussions. You can see the difference between the two locations in the blink of an eye.

Are the Disney grownups planning to let WDW decline as much as they did DL before the 50th. I hope not.

WDW is where DH and I met and we love it there. In places WDW looks a little like Cinderalla BEFORE she met the Fairy Godmother.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:03 AM   #194
bicker
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Disney View Post
Can you say Wall Street Bankers?
Can you say employees hoping to retire someday and live off of 401(k)s? Folks regularly forget how they themselves benefit from the economy as it is, and how that they would be personally adversely affected if the economy were to turn into what they suggest it should be like. However, the real question here is whether we really want this thread taken off onto this inflammatory tangent you've started us down? Personally, I'd rather we avoid that, and just say that it is a shame that not everyone gets what they want, all the time.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:07 AM   #195
Snape
Mouseketeer

Quote:

I just re-read this based on someone else linking it. I've learned something new on the Disboards - only poor people ride public busses/transportation.

Good to know.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: