Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 07:27 AM   #1651
jmm476
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunette8706 View Post
Hi jmm476!

Glad you had a great vacation! That's always good to hear. We stayed at WL and didn't like the room so we moved to YC. We had a fantastic time, the YC is awesome.

Anyway, where did you stay, if you don't mind me asking? Yes, I can agree with you that some guests can be rude.

Brunette
We stayed at Pop. I wasn't expecting much, being a value, but we had a fantastic time and the cast members were fantastic. Our mousekeeper went above and beyond (IMO anyway) and we went to the front desk to ask questions several times and always received great customer service. Also, Pop had the best bus service of any hotel I've stayed at so far, which was an added bonus at 1am at MK we're getting 2 buses pulling up everytime while other hotels are still waiting for their 1st bus.
WDW Commando Member #75

No trip planned right now

My first dining review! Jan 2011
Old 09-10-2010, 09:22 AM   #1652
Donut23
Long-Time Disney Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetRick View Post
And that--in a nutshell--is the whole basis of this thread. It's not the BIG things we're complaining about (other than food), rather, it's the little things which made Disney, well, Disney. That was the details. They have been neglecting the details more and more lately...

Bingo! You are so right.

It's like cleaning your house. Each week we clean our house....dust, vacume, clean the bathrooms, pickup all the dog cookies our terrier has hidden over the week (he is sure WE want them so he hides them for later.....and forgets where he put them!!). We get by for another week. The house looks OK and we are happy - just don't look too close.

Then we go into a real TEAR.....scrub the windows, wash the globes on all the chandeliers, clean the ceiling fans, dust the baseboards, wax the floors, clean the kitchen cabinets, polish the silver, plant some fresh flowers, edge the grass plantings, make those minor repairs that have been on the list for a while.

When you step back you realize the house REALLY shines now.

Disney executives seem to be satisfied with just getting by. "It's ok, nobody will notice". I guess that's OK for some. Trouble is.....many of us remember when Disney was "into a real Tear" and everything sparkled because anything less was unsatisfactory. You know, Disney standards we all grew to love.

It's so many of the little things they just let slide now. They CAN do it, they just choose not to.

For me, I prefer my home to shine.

Last edited by Donut23; 09-10-2010 at 09:30 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-10-2010, 10:32 AM   #1653
brunette8706
DIS Veteran

OMGOSH! I don't remember a bank! I do remember SunTrust ATM, I think, but not the bank.

And I do think I know what the other poster is talking about. The little court/end street on the left of Main Street. Boy, I forgot all about that. Yes, I do remember the Magic Shop, the theater (don't they still have the theater there), LOL, I don't remember the Barber shop in the middle of Main Street though. I do remember Diamond something revue, on Main Street! LOL! It was a bunch of can can girls dancing and you can order sandwiches there and watch!

Heck, I remember the Kodak shop where people could literally rent camera's and camcorders. They stopped that years ago.

Brunette
Old 09-10-2010, 10:50 AM   #1654
Goofy_Disney_Dad
Mouseketeer

I haven't even come close to reading this entire thread, but I have read bits a pieces. I'm hoping this hasn't been discussed already but it is something I've thought about recently involving Disney and CM's.

My son applied and was accepted into the college program this year. I honestly didn't know much about the program but I think I've learned a bit about it over the past several weeks. There may be others here who could provide much more specific details to this as well.

When he was accepted he started looking at the different apartment communities he could select from when he arrived. I believe there are now 3 total. When I visited after he moved in I could not believe the size of these complexes and how many students must live at each one.

I know Disney uses this program to help with the part-time and, in most cases, lower skill requirement positions within the park. It's got to save them a huge amount of money on benefits and raises as most programs are around 9 months long. All of the pay I've seen is just at minimum wage. The students pay their own rent and I honestly believe they are a huge money saver for Disney. They are sent through the same training as any other new hire at Disney, but I honestly think many of them don't look at their position as a long-term choice and may not perform their jobs as someone with a long term outlook would.

I'm not saying this program isn't a great thing for Disney and the students involved, so please don't assume that is my intention. My son has learned and grown a great deal personally and professionally because of this program. I just think it may play a small part in what I've seen in this discussion.

Would any of you agree that this program might be the cause of some of the "less than magical" CM's you've experienced? Does anyone know how large of a percentage of total WDW cast members are in the college program?
I've seen CM's in the program who absolutely live Disney and do a wonderful job, but I've also seen and talked with student CM's who are less than enthusiastic about it all.

I may not be explaining this as well and in as much detail as I'd like, but I do think from what I've seen "behind the scenes" with some of the students in this program (even my own son included) there is some merit to my thoughts.

Anyone else with personal knowledge or experience in this care to offer some input?

Last edited by Goofy_Disney_Dad; 09-10-2010 at 10:53 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-10-2010, 11:07 AM   #1655
scubamouse
Mouseketeer
My shoes match. I know, I checked!

All of the college program CMs we saw last week were fabulous and engaging. I actually didn't think the CMs were an issue at all, I thought they were as great as ever. My issue was much more that rides were down for hours at a time and how that messed with my touring plans.

And the food. It's very average everywhere other than signatures. And it's overpriced by 50% relative to what you can get offiste.
2005 Christmas at Villas Wilderness Lodge
2006 at Wilderness Lodge
2007 Beach Club Villas with free dining
2008 Beach Club villas
Spring break 2009 Howard Johnson's at Disneyland
August 26 - September 5, 2010 Bonnet Creek
Planning an August 2012 trip
Old 09-10-2010, 11:46 AM   #1656
BigGreen73
DIS Veteran

Cool Downhill

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubamouse View Post
My issue was much more that rides were down for hours at a time and how that messed with my touring plans.
Not picking on you. Just wanted to reference this comment.

There are a lot of guests who rely on specific touring plans now, either their own or from a TP website, every minute of everyday is mapped out. If just one thing falls out of place the TP is now thrown off. I have seen many, many guests using a TP fly off the handle, get visibly angry, get argumentative, verbably attack CM's etc because a ride was down or if something else may take them off their plan. I can't count how many times I hear this.

I don't use touring plans, never did, but if a ride or 2 is down, doesn't bother me one bit. Grab a FP, or just do something else. There is plenty to do at every park. I wonder if those that are really heavy on using TP's may look at the world a different way when something goes down or something throughs them off a plan? Possibilty? Who knows...

I remember when POTC ride went down once and a guest was yelling at one of the CM's who was standing "guard" like it was his fault. All the CM said was POTC is down and they do not have an ETA etc. That's it. The guest was walking off with her family saying that CM was so rude, calling him name etc. What?
May 04: Grand Floridian & All Star Movies. May 05: Pop Century Resort. May 06: Pop Century Resort. May 07: Pop Century Resort. Dec 07: Pop Century Resort. April 08: Yacht & Beach Club Resort May 09: Port Orleans French Quarter Sept 10: Port Orleans French Quarter Sept 2012: Art of Animation

Next WDW Vacation staying at POFQ......
Old 09-10-2010, 12:37 PM   #1657
flicx
Please stand clear of the doors!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetRick View Post
And that--in a nutshell--is the whole basis of this thread. It's not the BIG things we're complaining about (other than food), rather, it's the little things which made Disney, well, Disney. That was the details. They have been neglecting the details more and more lately...
I also have issue with the price increases at disney.When you add it all up they don't go well together!
Old 09-10-2010, 02:39 PM   #1658
brunette8706
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmm476 View Post
We stayed at Pop. I wasn't expecting much, being a value, but we had a fantastic time and the cast members were fantastic. Our mousekeeper went above and beyond (IMO anyway) and we went to the front desk to ask questions several times and always received great customer service. Also, Pop had the best bus service of any hotel I've stayed at so far, which was an added bonus at 1am at MK we're getting 2 buses pulling up everytime while other hotels are still waiting for their 1st bus.
Glad you enjoyed POP. I think POP is one of the most popular value resorts in all of Disney. What boggles my mind is about housekeeping though. We had great housekeeping at the YC, but crappy ones at the WL. It also looks like you decent housekeeping at POP too, which is a good thing. I just don't understand why we hear good and bad from this service. It should be consistant along the board, but it isn't. Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed your trip. We're off to stay at the YC again in February. Thanks for posting!

Brunette
Old 09-10-2010, 03:02 PM   #1659
CTJKLAB
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snape View Post
Disney needs to get rid of free dining and their problems with people complaining about food decline will be solved.
I could not agree with you more, Snape!!

2008 Orange Lake,Saratoga Springs(June and November),2009 Kidani (Aug.),2010 Boardwalk (February and October),2011 Jambo House(October),2012 VWL (February),Boardwalk (October),AKL-Kidani(December),2013 VWL (May),Beach Club (Oct.)2014 VWL (March-April),

Old 09-10-2010, 03:08 PM   #1660
Suellen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGreen73 View Post
I remember when POTC ride went down once and a guest was yelling at one of the CM's who was standing "guard" like it was his fault. All the CM said was POTC is down and they do not have an ETA etc. That's it. The guest was walking off with her family saying that CM was so rude, calling him name etc. What?
Bet when she retold the story he yelled at her for asking and was just downright rude to her while she was a perfect angel!
Old 09-10-2010, 03:36 PM   #1661
tony67
I always get odd looks when I put mayo on my fries
Ask for Pepe - "The Master"

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfan55 View Post
One thing Main Street did have in earlier years was a side street on the left with flower carts, the barber shop and just old time looking facades. They had the penny arcade, magic shop, movie theatre and not as much of the stuff for sale. I actually took a picture of the side street (which at Chistmas was really beautiful) and painted a watercolor and I look at it everyday since it hangs in my living room. I miss that little street!
And the hotdog cart on Wednesdays and Saturdays!
They had the best hot dogs in Disney back in the days before they standardized everything.
(Real buns as well, not healthy sawdust buns)
There was also a hotdog cart in Epcot that had great dogs every day.
It was one of the little things we always looked forward too.

So many little things I don't like about Disney these days, yet I still go back.
Standardization of everything is a big issue for me.

Remember when they made their own pretzels in Germany in Epcot?
Fresh hot and buttery.
Now it is the same pretzel you get everywhere in the parks.

Remember when the Chefs had daily specials and could be creative?
I still remember having a whole flame roasted piranha at Coral Reef FOR LUNCH.
That is something you do not see on a menu every day.
This is something you will always remember, a truly unique experience.

What about different specialty drinks at each of the hotels.
Now it is a standard menu.

It seems like the only fish in most places is salmon, no variety anymore.

How about when we could eat whatever we wanted on vacation, now they want us to eat healthy on vacation.
It’s my vacation let me do what I want, don’t force your agenda on us.

If you rob Peter to pay Paul, you can always depend on the support of Paul.

"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My life is my own.”

Be seeing you.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:27 PM   #1662
Donut23
Long-Time Disney Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony67 View Post
And the hotdog cart on Wednesdays and Saturdays!
They had the best hot dogs in Disney back in the days before they standardized everything.
(Real buns as well, not healthy sawdust buns)
There was also a hotdog cart in Epcot that had great dogs every day.
It was one of the little things we always looked forward too.

So many little things I don't like about Disney these days, yet I still go back.
Standardization of everything is a big issue for me.

Remember when they made their own pretzels in Germany in Epcot?
Fresh hot and buttery.
Now it is the same pretzel you get everywhere in the parks.

Remember when the Chefs had daily specials and could be creative?
I still remember having a whole flame roasted piranha at Coral Reef FOR LUNCH.
That is something you do not see on a menu every day.
This is something you will always remember, a truly unique experience.

What about different specialty drinks at each of the hotels.
Now it is a standard menu.

It seems like the only fish in most places is salmon, no variety anymore.

How about when we could eat whatever we wanted on vacation, now they want us to eat healthy on vacation.
It’s my vacation let me do what I want, don’t force your agenda on us.

Beancounters have taken control of the disney kitchens and supply. Chefs had budget cuts, hence the removal of more expensive cuts of beef and a variety of unusual foods......they simply are no longer "stocked" for the chef to request. Want to serve fish, mr. chef? You have a choice of...salmon and salmon from the company store.

Sure, having a central warehouse for food and one system to BUY for all their restaurant needs IS a great way to save $$$. But it eliminates their ability to be truly creative. Yes, standardized.

Next, watch your menus......more and more of the food is actually prepared AWAY from the individual restaurant. Example, Boatrights and CRT have nearly the same menu....but CRT is 40% more. Soups (and more) are made in central kitchens, and delivered for example.....CHEEP that way. You are right - standardized. Sure, CHEEP to make a soup in a 150 gallon vat.....is that the soup what we really want to eat vs. the personal creation of a talented chef.

Don't even TALK about "chicken slime-dogs" and "crumble buns". We call it "bird food"....cheep cheep cheep.

We are very good in our daily lives at home so we CAN be a little naughty and have an all beef hotdogs on holiday....not to mention they are at least edible. Now we have to walk past Casey's on our next trip. We tried them.....we threw them away. sigh.
Old 09-11-2010, 12:15 AM   #1663
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

I get a little tired of people complaining when anyone says anything negative. Just don't read here then! I've been to WDW many, many times and plan to go back. That doesn't mean that I'm going to run around with blinders on and not comment on the not so great along with the great.

Phew! Vent over.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:08 AM   #1664
RayaniFoxmur
Don't try to make me sell any more sausage. I won't do it!
I love not being the only crazy one!

I know some of you think I am the ultimate Disney apologist, but I have to say that there are a few things that you all have talked about that I agree with. One of my biggest being the food! Disney getting rid of Trans Fats really messed with a lot of my favorite foods. I hate that Disney is trying to force me to eat healthier. If I wanted to on vacation, I'd order a salad for myself thank you!!!

My other BIGGEST problem is the closing of Pleasure Island! This is my true biggest "Disney screwed way up" problem. And I still haven't quite forgiven them for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut23 View Post
More and more of the food is actually prepared AWAY from the individual restaurant. Example, Boatrights and CRT have nearly the same menu....but CRT is 40% more. Soups (and more) are made in central kitchens, and delivered for example.....CHEEP that way. You are right - standardized. Sure, CHEEP to make a soup in a 150 gallon vat.....is that the soup what we really want to eat vs. the personal creation of a talented chef.
Ehhh... you have to be careful with this. Having worked in food services and being close with a few of the chefs (Rock on chef "Bubba") this is not true in a lot of the cases. The main area it is true is in your counter services. But table service I know their own soup is generally made.

You may be surprised at what is made in personal kitchens. Like Turkey Legs, Churros and Egg Rolls. All of the hot food in Adventureland, Liberty Square and Frontierland is made in their own personal kitchen for example.

That's not to say that I don't agree with your assessment of the food going down here. Just thought you'd like some tales from the other side of the counter.

1992 - Poly * 1993 - Poly * 2006/2007 - POFQ NYE! Engaged at Epcot! * March 2007 - Poly * September 2007 - AKL * October 2007 - Our Disney Honeymoon! Grand Floridian, Disney Magic, and POFQ! * March 2008 - Old Key West * September 2008 - Old Key West * September 2008 to January 2013 - Living across the street! * September 2010 - Offsite * October 2011 - POFQ
Old 09-11-2010, 06:00 AM   #1665
Pjimmeyer
1000th Happy Haunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planogirl View Post
I get a little tired of people complaining when anyone says anything negative. Just don't read here then! I've been to WDW many, many times and plan to go back. That doesn't mean that I'm going to run around with blinders on and not comment on the not so great along with the great.

Phew! Vent over.
I know what you mean. In a similar way I get a little tired of people complaining in some more positive threads about all of the "disney apologists" and "rainbows/rose colored glasses." Last December was about as close to perfect as you can get. My overall opinion from our experiences over many years and many visits is that Disney has held up remarkably well. We find the place to be consistently and truly magical visit to visit. Just our experience but it is honest and real. I understand there are problems and that they can and should be discussed but it doesn't mean I need anyone's help interpreting my own experiences. I don't think that Disney has gone hill. It's okay if your experiences have proven otherwise to you.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: