Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 09-09-2010, 11:03 PM   #1636
flicx
Please stand clear of the doors!
 
flicx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Slippin Falls Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,499

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunette8706 View Post
*
I can't believe it! WOW! I thought, though, the side street was on the "right" as you were ENTERING the MK. Was there a side street on the right hand side? Geez, I may be losin it!

LOL

Thanks!
brunette
I'm not sure which side anymore brunette.I do have a neat picture of my grandma and grandpa taken in the 70's by one of the flower carts.My grandpap died years ago but my grandma remembered where the pic was from the last time I asked about it. I tried to find the spot the last time my wife and I were down there to shoot the same shot with us in it.Needless to say no dice.I wanted to bring it back and show grandma.Oh well!
flicx is offline  
Old 09-09-2010, 11:09 PM   #1637
brunette8706
DIS Veteran
 
brunette8706's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,928

Quote:
Originally Posted by flicx View Post
I'm not sure which side anymore brunette.I do have a neat picture of my grandma and grandpa taken in the 70's by one of the flower carts.My grandpap died years ago but my grandma remembered where the pic was from the last time I asked about it. I tried to find the spot the last time my wife and I were down there to shoot the same shot with us in it.Needless to say no dice.I wanted to bring it back and show grandma.Oh well!
*
I can't believe they did away with this small intimate space. They replaced it with a storefront?
__________________
brunette8706 is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-09-2010, 11:23 PM   #1638
flicx
Please stand clear of the doors!
 
flicx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Slippin Falls Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,499

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunette8706 View Post
*
I can't believe they did away with this small intimate space. They replaced it with a storefront?
I really thought the way it was before (mainstreet), disney nailed the allamerican small town feel in a big amusement park.I still have our portrait hanging on the wall that we had made on mainstreet on our honeymoon in 1985.You know the one that a CM cuts out of black paper and put in a black frame. We has it done in one of those small shops on mainstreet. AH yes memories!
flicx is offline  
Old 09-09-2010, 11:27 PM   #1639
rie'smom
"Always let your conscience be your guide."
I cannot look at my hamburger after I've taken a bite
Toilet paper must come over the top!
 
rie'smom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 19,069

Quote:
Originally Posted by flicx View Post
I'm not sure which side anymore brunette.I do have a neat picture of my grandma and grandpa taken in the 70's by one of the flower carts.My grandpap died years ago but my grandma remembered where the pic was from the last time I asked about it. I tried to find the spot the last time my wife and I were down there to shoot the same shot with us in it.Needless to say no dice.I wanted to bring it back and show grandma.Oh well!
The streets are still there or they were for our last trip.

rie'smom is offline  
Old 09-09-2010, 11:31 PM   #1640
disneyfan55
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 5,111

Quote:
Originally Posted by rie'smom View Post
The streets are still there or they were for our last trip.

THe side street that we are talking about is not there and was removed in 2001. There is a store there now, unless it's changed since Feb.
disneyfan55 is offline  
Old 09-09-2010, 11:42 PM   #1641
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist
 
Planogirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Frisco,Texas
Posts: 45,793

I think that it's the side street on the left that's gone, isn't it? There is still something on the right.

I don't pay much attention to the store along both sides of Main Street now because it's just all the same stuff as elsewhere. I do however go to the ice cream shop.
__________________
PG
Planogirl is offline  
Old 09-09-2010, 11:49 PM   #1642
disneyfan55
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 5,111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planogirl View Post
I think that it's the side street on the left that's gone, isn't it? There is still something on the right.

I don't pay much attention to the store along both sides of Main Street now because it's just all the same stuff as elsewhere. I do however go to the ice cream shop.
you are correct. But back before Main Street was changed, it wasn't just the same old stuff! That's how the subject came up. There was a Magic Shop, Movie theater, Penny Arcade and the additional side street with flower carts and that is where the original Barbershop was located as well.
disneyfan55 is offline  
Old 09-09-2010, 11:56 PM   #1643
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist
 
Planogirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Frisco,Texas
Posts: 45,793

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfan55 View Post
you are correct. But back before Main Street was changed, it wasn't just the same old stuff! That's how the subject came up. There was a Magic Shop, Movie theater, Penny Arcade and the additional side street with flower carts and that is where the original Barbershop was located as well.
I remember collapsing in the theater for a bit sometimes. I also remember the magic shop but we never checked it out.
__________________
PG
Planogirl is offline  
Old 09-10-2010, 12:07 AM   #1644
disneyfan55
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 5,111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planogirl View Post
I remember collapsing in the theater for a bit sometimes. I also remember the magic shop but we never checked it out.
We used to visit the stores/arcades on each visit. I just loved that little side street that I painted a large watercolor of it and I'm looking at it now!!

Now we just go through those stores when Main street is full of people or the parade is on. The right side of the street is pretty much what it was except the movie theater is gone. At least the candy shop/icecream shop and glass/watch shops are still pretty much the same. Also, the side street on the right side - still there!

I just recalled that there used to be a real Bank on Main Street as well-next to where Guest Relations is inside the MK!
disneyfan55 is offline  
Old 09-10-2010, 12:27 AM   #1645
Donut23
Long-Time Disney Fan
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,449

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfan55 View Post
We used to visit the stores/arcades on each visit. I just loved that little side street that I painted a large watercolor of it and I'm looking at it now!!

Now we just go through those stores when Main street is full of people or the parade is on. The right side of the street is pretty much what it was except the movie theater is gone. At least the candy shop/icecream shop and glass/watch shops are still pretty much the same. Also, the side street on the right side - still there!

I just recalled that there used to be a real Bank on Main Street as well-next to where Guest Relations is inside the MK!


WOW! You have many years of Disney travel under your belt and a great memory. I don't remember the bank.

I DO remember the Kal Kan Kennel Club my terrier LOVED it there, he had made friends there!....don't know how many times it changed in all these years.

My first trip to WDW was 1975...lived in Jacksonville for about 18 months. You never know how many friends and family you have until you move to Florida. We were at WDW quite often!
Donut23 is online now  
Old 09-10-2010, 01:06 AM   #1646
swarlock
Mouseketeer
 
swarlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Kissimmee, Florida
Posts: 126

Depends on what kind of "downhill" it is. Citing The Economy is only part of it.

As a visitor and Florida Resident for 14 years on I've seen both good and bad things happen to it. In all that time I've learned never to take anything for granted and not get spoiled by it all.

The thing I try to do whenever I'm there is talk to The Cast Members just to let them know they are doing a fine jpb despite the internal goings ons.

Still I go anyway because after all, It's the one place that makes me feel good and I feel better for it.
swarlock is offline  
Old 09-10-2010, 01:27 AM   #1647
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist
 
Planogirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Frisco,Texas
Posts: 45,793

I had forgotten about the bank. I remember once withdrawing money there. It was a Sun-something I think.
__________________
PG
Planogirl is offline  
Old 09-10-2010, 03:36 AM   #1648
Donut23
Long-Time Disney Fan
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,449

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planogirl View Post
I had forgotten about the bank. I remember once withdrawing money there. It was a Sun-something I think.

Sun Trust bank....only bank on property. Why? They were the only bank to give Walt and Roy $$$$ at one time.

YEA Suntrust Bank!
Donut23 is online now  
Old 09-10-2010, 08:25 AM   #1649
GadgetRick
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 654

Quote:
Originally Posted by flicx View Post
I guess the little things don't seem to matter much to the top brass anymore.
And that--in a nutshell--is the whole basis of this thread. It's not the BIG things we're complaining about (other than food), rather, it's the little things which made Disney, well, Disney. That was the details. They have been neglecting the details more and more lately...
__________________
The Rickster
GadgetRick is offline  
Old 09-10-2010, 08:26 AM   #1650
Suellen
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Celebration, Florida
Posts: 5,233

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planogirl View Post
I had forgotten about the bank. I remember once withdrawing money there. It was a Sun-something I think.
I still have some Disney Dollars we got there. Back in the day.
__________________
Suellen is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: